Proof that God might have created the Universe

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Proof that God might have created the Universe

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 05:25 pm
Before anyone jumps down my throat I deliberately made the title of this thread an oxymoron.

I'm an open minded guy

I don't have an axe to grind (well not that often)

Im not religious as such / anyhow I've recently started a blog about that old chestnut God and evolution :poke-eye:

Check it out / leave a comment if you like

God v Evolution

seanoconnor7

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 09:20 pm
@andykelly,
Think of a clock. The mechanism inside the clock is orderly and complex and must have maker, the clockmaker. Now think of the universe with all of it's complexity it must also have a Divine Maker, God.

This is the Teleological Argument

mrmorgan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:52 pm
@seanoconnor7,
not if you believe that clock was made from nothing that it just poof! came into existance. i mean the whole universe did. BANG! and came into existance how come that clock can't as well?................... just remember the farther away we look the longer ago it was

No0ne

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 08:27 pm
1. Dose it take intelligence to create a law?
2. Dose it take power to enforce that law?
3. Is a thing that has intelligence to create a law and power to enforce that law an entity?
4. Are the laws of this universe which enables us to perform actions in effect?

Logically, and scientifically all answers to the four questions are "yes".

Therefore based upon such, one can denote that a powerful intelligent entity existed and still exists at this point. Yet such dose not definitively prove "God", it only definitively proves a powerful intelligent entity created and enforces the laws which allows us to exist and continue to exist, and such entity existed and still exists.

With such said, the phrase "God might have created the universe" enters the realm of probability

Symphony

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 09:42 pm
@mrmorgan,
I think it is the opposite of that. If you can't take all the parts to create a clock, throw them in the air, and a clock lands in front of you, how do you suppose a whole universe could.

Symphony

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 09:47 pm
If the universe just, poof, came into existence, a.) Where did the materials come from, and b.) How were living organisms created from atoms? I am looking for opinions and don't want to get into a heated argument.

Girgio

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 06:48 am
@Symphony,
Symphony wrote:

If the universe just, poof, came into existence, a.) Where did the materials come from, and b.) How were living organisms created from atoms? I am looking for opinions and don't want to get into a heated argument.

No worries, u kinda right, at least i completely agree with u.

wonderment

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 07:33 pm
I have the opinion that God and our universe were here together. Everything else is conjecture on my part. Wonderment

madscientist phil

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 05:55 am
It is 1 thing to say there is "an [intelligent] force beyond us which created and holds everything together" and to say that "this proves the God of [my religion] is correct". Yes, I am also convinced there is a force beyond all of this. I mean not just the universe but the mechanisms and laws of physics, astronomy, biology... the arrangement of atoms and proteins to build us from our food, along with many psychological factors and laws, arguments from evolution, simply fills me with wonderment and amazement. I mean how on earth do we know that a big monster crying behind us is a potential predator and we're filled with fear? On the opposite, why do babies smile when their mother does? Why can we explain many of our behaviors simply by alluring to some evolutionary forces from the past? This is of course very simple, but the more one goes deep the more one realizes there is an amazing logic, precision, and amazement beyond all this.
Actually in my opinion the physical laws and constants and the creation of universe or matter ex nihilo is the tip of the iceberg. What if we live in a matrix? The creation of matter out of energy or nothing doesn't really make me feel that amazed. On the other hand, the various "spiritual laws", karma, dharma, telepathy, predictions of future, paranormal, near-death experiences and our everyday experiences just force me (in a non-aggressive way) to believe there is something great beyond what we call reality.
Yet, despite being raised Catholic, this takes me nowhere closer to being convinced that my faith is "true". So what, there's an intelligent force but it can be the god of hindus, buddhists, or simply noone. To say there's some force beyond me does not prove my religion and my god is true.
Ironically, quite the opposite. The more I learn about old cultures, Egyptians, Aztecs, Chinese or simply the wisdom of the old nations, the more this points me away from the belief that the god of the Israelis and Christianity is the only "true way". How on earth did the ancient cultures come to know more than we do? Who told them to build vast monuments which we cannot either build or even explain by what we dare call science? Why did nations before Christianity or even Judaism know of such universal laws that Christianity only came to express 2 millennia ago? I'm afraid that the study of universe and its laws does make one more humble and appreciating of all that's beyond us, but takes us no step closer at determining which religious or faith system is "correct".

john1565

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 12:14 pm
@andykelly,
no proof !

HabibUrrehman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 01:22 pm
@madscientist phil,
madscientist phil wrote:

I'm afraid that the study of universe and its laws does make one more humble and appreciating of all that's beyond us, but takes us no step closer at determining which religious or faith system is "correct".

It does help to find the true religion if you look into all religions with an open mind. Some time truth is right in front of your face but you don't want to look into it. Let me keep it simple and to the point, have you looked into Islam?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Proof that God might have created the Universe
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:21:15