What is Magick?
[CENTER]Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
What is Magick? Why should anyone study and practice it? Very natural; the obvious preliminary questions of any subject soever. We must certainly get all this crystal clear; fear not that I shall fail to set forth the whole business as concisely as possible yet as fully, as cogently yet as lucidly, as may prove within my power to do.
At least I need not waste any time on telling you what Magick is not
; or to go into the story of how the word came to be misapplied to conjuring tricks, and to sham miracles such as are to this day foisted by charlatan swindlers, either within or without the Roman Communion, upon a gaping crew of pious imbeciles.
First let me go all Euclidean, and rub your nose in the Definition, Postulate and Theorems given in my comprehensive (but, alas! too advanced and too technical) Treatise on the subject.1
Here we are! [INDENT]I. DEFINITION:
is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will.*
(Illustration: It is my Will to inform the World of certain facts within my knowledge. I therefore take "magical weapons," pen, ink, and paper; I write "incantations"-these sentences-in the "magical language" i.e.
that which is understood by people I wish to instruct. I call forth "spirits" such as printers, publishers, booksellers, and so forth, and constrain them to convey my message to those people. The composition and distribution is thus an act of
by which I cause Changes to take place in conformity with my Will.)
ANY required Change may be effected by application of the proper kind and degree of Force in the proper manner through the proper medium to the proper object.
(Illustration: I wish to prepare an ounce of Chloride of Gold. I must take the right kind of acid, nitro-hydrochloric and no other, in sufficient quantity and of adequate strength, and place it, in a vessel which will not break, leak or corrode, in such a manner as will not produce undesirable results, with the necessary quantity of Gold, and so forth. Every Change has its own conditions.
In the present state of our knowledge and power some changes are not possible in practice; we cannot cause eclipses, for instance, or transform lead into tin, or create men from mushrooms. But it is theoretically possible to cause in any object any change of which that object is capable by nature; and the conditions are covered by the above postulate.)
1. Every intentional act is a Magical Act.
: See "Definition" above.)
2. Every successful act has conformed to the postulate.
3. Every failure proves that one or more requirements of the postulate have not been fulfilled.
4. The first requisite for causing any change is thorough qualitative and quantitative understanding of the condition.
5. The second requisite of causing any change is the practical ability to set in right motion the necessary forces.
6. "Every man and every woman is a star." That is to say, every human being is intrinsically an independent individual with his own proper character and proper motion.
7. Every man and every woman has a course, depending partly on the self, and partly on the environment which is natural and necessary for each. Anyone who is forced from his own course, either through not understanding himself, or through external opposition, comes into conflict with the order of the Universe, and suffers accordingly.
8. A man whose conscious will is at odds with his True Will is wasting his strength. He cannot hope to influence his environment efficiently.
9. A man who is doing his True Will has the inertia of the Universe to assist him.
10. Nature is a continuous phenomenon, thought we do not know in all cases how things are connected.
11. Science enables us to take advantage of the continuity of Nature by the empirical application of certain principles whose interplay involves different orders of idea, connected with each other in a way beyond our present comprehension.
12. Man is ignorant of the nature of his own being and powers. Even his idea of his limitations is based on experience of the past. and every step in his progress extends his empire. There is, therefore, no reason to assign theoretical limits to what he may be, or to what he may do.
13. Every man is more or less aware that his individuality comprises several orders of existence, even when he maintains that his subtler principles are merely symptomatic of the changes in his gross vehicle. A similar order may be assumed to extend throughout nature.
14. Man is capable of being, and using, anything which he perceives; for everything that he perceives is in a certain sense a part of his being. He may thus subjugate the whole Universe of which he is conscious to his individual Will.
More from Magick without Tears
Crowley's works are brilliant and also highly amusing. While I do not find all of what he writes to be interesting or true, this is still very good.
In understanding a basic definition of magick being the art and science of change to occur in conformity to will is not so easy really, if you endure to define through words your true will. There is a conversation developing, but the communication is not so clear. I detect an internal struggle, which is displaying itself in an ongoing conversation with a spirit guide, who is also a "real person". It turns suddenly into a debate of knowledge and will and discussions on truth, morals and ethics, blame, impotency, lack of direction, philosophies, sorrow, joy and I believe to be rooted in trying to listen to the Holy Guardian Angel (HGA). I am not so sure it is him, but have a strong and unusual bond that attempts over and over to rectify itself.
A few weeks have been noticing an observable "reconciliation of opposites", felt at a cellular level, psychic level, and mental emotional level. Unconscious/conscious merge. Alchemy's hermaphrodite child of the sun and moon.
On New Year's Day, I awoke feeling sincere labor pains, but am not physically pregnant. In some of these old teachings they say that the mother (isis) dies in childbirth to horus (the hermaphrodite -symbol of wholeness) and enters into his spirit (as well as the father). This was done through a strange process with this real life man that I mentioned earlier and even more strange series of events in which I was taken inside a world with him that has taken me through these initiations, very unbeknownst to my conscious self. I have only validated these experiences (as I have ALL my other experiences) "through the back door", meaning that once they occur, I find a similar teaching from any (usally mystical) tradition to have some kind of sense of where "I am".
It was strange to me to wake up on NY's Day and have this "Mystical child" which came as a dream for the world and especially America--through my "organization" ie work, which up until then had been rather held apart as a seperate entity that granted me a paycheck. Also my "personal website", my "personal friends" were all illuminated to me to be part of the mix of energies that would go into this Work/work.
This reawakened this "lot in life" to an idea of really what to do with it (earth and space museum) and make it a wonderful manifestation and celebration of this journey so far--something I believe to be good for other people, but wonder how much truth is in this statement still at this time.
In the midst of this highly creative and also intellectual spell, I was asked by him to "stop learning and know everything" which seems to be a message people with sticks like to keep trying to tell me, and well be it so, but I am not yet prepared to exactly "enter the child", which i think to mean something I said when I originally came here and that was lay down knowledge and throw away the self. I think this is less nihilism and more becoming one with the water, which is sacred law moving through the world--which is a lofty way of saying something I don't understand completely. It also feels as if "I should" do this as it is reflecting in all the old prophecies to do this. That does not mean by any means we lay aside "the idea of doing magick", or give up anything, but rather it means to BECOME the magic. To be the dreamer inside the dream and know no difference between.
Please excuse a bit of rambling and so on, but my computer is down and the damn laptop does not have the ease of use as the other.
True will for me will only be able to manifest through a kind of detached idea of its outcome and maybe be a certain fluid and frenzied activity of creativity and intelligence combined.