Pimps?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Pimps?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Deckard

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 04:15 am
Is there any reason why I should respect pimps or people imitating or proudly characterizing themselves as pimps? Maybe there is some ethnic thing going on here that I should make some PC concessions to? Seriously, is there anyone on this forum that will defend pimps or whatever pimps represent and stand for?

wayne

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 04:27 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;162864 wrote:
Is there any reason why I should respect pimps or people imitating or proudly characterizing themselves as pimps? Maybe there is some ethnic thing going on here that I should make some PC concessions to? Seriously, is there anyone on this forum that will defend pimps or whatever pimps represent and stand for?

I don't care much for that characterization either. I wonder what the "cool" factor with that is about?
I suppose maybe it has something to do with portraying oneself to have some kind of control over women.

There are quite a few new definitions for the word.
You can pimp your ride
You can dress up and be pimpin
You can have women following you around and be the pimp daddy.

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 05:50 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;162864 wrote:

Being a pimp means you get a lot of girls or are stylish. Very few people talking about pimps are actually down with the exploitation of women.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:04 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;162864 wrote:

Hmm. Have you been under pressure to defend pimps lately? Something going on I don't know about?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:12 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;162864 wrote:

Pimps are just like professional poker player. They don` t make stuff, but they still make a living.

jgweed

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:53 am
@Deckard,
In some circles, and perhaps without thinking about its ramifications, "pinp" is almost a term of praise. But this seems to reinforce the idea that women are cattle to be put out to graze sexually, are objects that one can treat in the worst way including physical abuse, and are no better than whores.
There seems to be a concerted trend to denigrate the status of women in some circles, and this is absolutely deplorable.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:58 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;162916 wrote:
In some circles, and perhaps without thinking about its ramifications, "pinp" is almost a term of praise. But this seems to reinforce the idea that women are cattle to be put out to graze sexually, are objects that one can treat in the worst way including physical abuse, and are no better than whores.
There seems to be a concerted trend to denigrate the status of women in some circles, and this is absolutely deplorable.

300 dollars for half and hour. what is deplorable about that? What is deplorable is that most guys would do it for free.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:58 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;162916 wrote:
In some circles, and perhaps without thinking about its ramifications, "pinp" is almost a term of praise. .

It is? Well, in a lot of circles, "bastard" is, in fact, a term of praise, "you lucky bastard!". So what? Of course, that means that neither that being a bastard, nor being a pimp, is a praiseworthy activity.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 08:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;162920 wrote:
It is? Well, in a lot of circles, "bastard" is, in fact, a term of praise, "you lucky bastard!". So what? Of course, that means that neither that being a bastard, nor being a pimp, is a praiseworthy activity.

Why? This is depended on our value system. I am sure a pimp on average earns more money than an average philosopher. You tell me why being a pimp is worst than a philosopher.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 08:18 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;162930 wrote:
Why? This is depended on our value system. I am sure a pimp on average earns more money than an average philosopher. You tell me why being a pimp is worst than a philosopher.

Yeah. I hadn't thought of that. As my mother used to say, "if you are so smart, then why aren't you rich?". Now that's a stopper.

jgweed

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 08:30 am
@TuringEquivalent,
You tell me why being a pimp is worst than a philosopher.

Philosophers might mentally abuse one another, but pimps often physically abuse their whores when they refuse to perform five or ten sexual acts in an evening, or when they wish to live a different life. Pimps often prey on the unfortunate situations of underage runaways, and then throw them into the trash heap when they are worn out by drugs and repeated sexual encounters. While I purposefully express the plight of these women in gentle terms, to adequately express the reality of their lives would almost demand plainer language.

William

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 08:59 am
@Deckard,
Pimping is a power structure where the more powerful, affluent exploit the slave and their naivete. Have you seen a commercial lately? Have you ever made a profit? Have you knowingly tired to sell anything for more that you knew it was worth. Hell we pimp out our children to be movie stars. We teach them how to be their best so they can be sold to the highest bidder. Just who are the pimps and who are the prostitutes? You tell me?

William

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;162932 wrote:
As my mother used to say, "if you are so smart, then why aren't you rich?".

Makes me glad I'm rich. Wink

Twirlip

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 12:31 pm
@TuringEquivalent,

Don't you sometimes just wish you could un-thank a post?

Pythagorean

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 12:42 pm
@Twirlip,
I do not believe that anyone can say anything bad or negative about 'pimps' in America today without it at least being implied that they are racists against black people.

If you suggest that 'pimping' is a bad thing, then you are probably a white supremacist, or so they (i.e. The New York Times et. al.) will label you.

This is the social reality.

--

---------- Post added 05-11-2010 at 03:10 PM ----------

Here is a tweet from the rapper "Snoop Dog", posted on twitter at approximately 3:00 pm EDT on May 11th, 2010.

And I quote:

snoopdogg
what it do pimpn!?!? who burnt right now!?!

End/

Just a note. By the phrase 'burnt' he means "Who is high on (illegal) narcotics, esp Cannabis".

Follow this multimillionaire celebrity pimp here:
https://twitter.com/snoopdogg

chopkins

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:43 pm
@Pythagorean,
[/COLOR]Here is a tweet from the rapper "Snoop Dog", posted on twitter at approximately 3:00 pm EDT on May 11th, 2010.

And I quote:

snoopdogg
what it do pimpn!?!? who burnt right now!?!

Follow this multimillionaire celebrity pimp here:
https://twitter.com/snoopdogg[/QUOTE]

The most irritating part about that post is the syntax. Make him take remedial english or something, christ. :brickwall:

wayne

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:48 pm
@Deckard,
There has always been a segment of society that has glorified being bad.
In our present media based society it is easy to make a lot of money at it.

I can't help but think that some of the attraction is similar to the boy whistling in the darkness. Our world is full of scary things, what can a young person do, but whistle in the dark?

By the way, have you seen that Elvis Presley guy, that shaking himself like that is so disgusting. Smile

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:50 pm
@chopkins,
chopkins;163056 wrote:
The most irritating part about that post is the syntax. Make him take remedial english or something, christ. :brickwall:

Old English became Middle English became Modern English and so the cycle continues. I'm sure the entire time there was someone like you complaining about how the youth were corrupting English with their "hithers" and "thithers".

Pythagorean

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:58 pm
@Night Ripper,
Consider the crime rates in the urban black community. Is there any wonder?

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 02:17 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;163028 wrote:
Don't you sometimes just wish you could un-thank a post?

Yes. Very much. But as I am not going to start my own web forum, I deal with them as they are rather than as I would like them to be.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Pimps?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:24:58