We have the right to live. A case for nationalizing healthcare.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » We have the right to live. A case for nationalizing healthcare.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:47 pm
Story:

You are a doctor, and you see a person X that is about to die from a disease that can be prevented given sufficient care. The problem is that the treatment itself is too expensive, and regular insurance does not cover the patient ` s treatment.

As a society, if we were to deny patient X treatment, then it follows that:

1. An agent( by analogy: government) knowing person X can be saved from disease, and not doing anything about it.

If 1 is true, then it follows that:

2. It is acceptable to denying patient X the right to live.( ie: there is no right to life).

If we accept 2 as true, then it follows logically that:

3. You do not have the right to life.

If 3 is true, then it follows that:

4. The government do not have any authority to protect you from violent acts against you, and your family.

Since 4 is unacceptable, then we reject 4, thus implies, we reject, 3, and 2.

added:

Here is a more illustrative example. If i am a layman( by analogy: government), and i see you, and your family being slaughtered by a madman. Do i interfere? I think it is right to interfere. If this example succeed, there there is a good reason for us to help others, and others to us.

Pangloss

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:01 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Not treating a person isn't what's denying the person the right to live. Nature, or the disease, is doing that. A life-extending medical treatment is a service that we can accept or deny.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:05 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;158253 wrote:
Not treating a person isn't what's denying the person the right to live. Nature, or the disease, is doing that. A life-extending medical treatment is a service that we can accept or deny.

What did i say:

Quote:
You are a doctor, and you see a person X that is about to die from a disease that can be prevented given sufficient care. The problem is the following:

The assumption is that we can prevent a person from dying.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:13 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158247 wrote:
Story:

You are a doctor, and you see a person X that is about to die from a disease that can be prevented given sufficient care. The problem is the following:

1. Treatment is too expensive, and regular insurance does not cover the patient ` s treatment.

2. It is acceptable to denying patient X the right to live.( ie: there is no right to life).

4. The government do not have any authority to protect you from violent acts against you, and your family.

added:

Here is a more illustrative example. If i am a layman( by analogy: government), and i see you, and your family being slaughtered by a madman. Do i interfere? I think it is right to interfere. If this example succeed, there there is a good reason for us to help others, and others to us.
Can't agree with your anology at all, it's nonsens.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:18 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;158257 wrote:
Can't agree with your anology at all, it's nonsens.

If you have problems with what i said, then attack my argument. You can` t do that, so it seems you are not even capable of doing that.

Pangloss

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:49 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158255 wrote:
What did i say:
The assumption is that we can prevent a person from dying.

Yes, I get this. But your #2 doesn't necessarily follow from #1. Denying treatment is not the same as denying the right to live. Murdering a person is denying their right to live, but kicking them out of the hospital and letting nature take its course is different.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:58 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;158271 wrote:
Yes, I get this. But your #2 doesn't necessarily follow from #1. Denying treatment is not the same as denying the right to live. Murdering a person is denying their right to live, but kicking them out of the hospital and letting nature take its course is different.

number 1 does not say "deny treatment". It merely list the reason why patient x does not have treatment. This is a big difference. So, 2 does not follow from 1.

What follows from 2 is:

: An agent knowing person X can be saved from disease, and not doing so.

I made the necessary modification to my OP post. The numbers, and labels are also changed as to not confuse any further incoming posters.

prothero

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:05 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Actually that is not the problem at all, people rarely get denied life saving treatment.
The problem is all those expensive things that might (a range of probabilities) help.
It is the two million dollar treatments with 20% success and the fact that the money could be spent on education or some other priority.
How much is your life worth?
No one wants to answer the question, but economic reality will force an answer sooner or later we simply can not afford to do everything, for everybody that might save their life or improve their health.
We can cover everybody, we can not cover everything.
Rationing care is inevitable and necessary and economic reality for which there is no current mechanism in the US except the ability to pay.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:07 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158259 wrote:
If you have problems with what i said, then attack my argument. You can` t do that, so it seems you are not even capable of doing that.
If I had sight of your claim holding reason, I would, but since your claim are too far from any reason, it would be a waste of time.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:12 am
@prothero,
prothero;158277 wrote:
Actually that is not the problem at all, people rarely get denied life saving treatment.
The problem is all those expensive things that might (a range of probabilities) help.
It is the two million dollar treatments with 20% success and the fact that the money could be spent on education or some other priority.
How much is your life worth?

No. How much is your life worth?

Suppose your son has cancer, and there is a 20% chance that he will live, if treated by treatment X. Treatment X cost P dollars. You don` t have the money. Would you take out a loan to save your son? If the answer is yes, then by analogy( gov ` t = you, son= normal people), we ought to spend the money.

---------- Post added 04-30-2010 at 02:14 AM ----------

HexHammer;158280 wrote:
If I had sight of your claim holding reason, I would, but since your claim are too far from any reason, it would be a waste of time.

Are you sure it is not because you are incapable of rational thought?

HexHammer

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:17 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158282 wrote:
Are you sure it is not because you are incapable of rational thought?
I am very good at rational thinking, infact when I worked I was excelent at solving problems, even though I have no formal education. I solved problems which highly professional people couldn't. I tryed to leave a newspaper but was called back 3 times to solve problems.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:25 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;158288 wrote:
I am very good at rational thinking, infact when I worked I was excelent at solving problems, even though I have no formal education. I solved problems which highly professional people couldn't. I tryed to leave a newspaper but was called back 3 times to solve problems.

Do i sense a sign of insecurity from you? You don ` t need to convince me, because i don` t care.

Get back on topic. If you disagree, then attack my argument. If you don` t attack my argument, then it is reasonable for me to assume you are incapable of doing so.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:01 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158291 wrote:
Do i sense a sign of insecurity from you? You don ` t need to convince me, because i don` t care.

Get back on topic. If you disagree, then attack my argument. If you don` t attack my argument, then it is reasonable for me to assume you are incapable of doing so.
In any serious buisness, one would normally try to help workers, explaining how they ought to do things and such, if their problem falls under a certain lvl of needed help, it would be illogically to waste time try to explain things for them, they get fired instead.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:24 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;158313 wrote:
In any serious buisness, one would normally try to help workers, explaining how they ought to do things and such, if their problem falls under a certain lvl of needed help, it would be illogically to waste time try to explain things for them, they get fired instead.

i think we agree you are wasting time. Instead of address the op post with logic, and reason, you persistent in seeing the issue relating to your own inability to justify your own position. What you appear to show are emotional gestures. what you are not able to show is in formulating your own reason to reject the op post. As such, you only comeback is by personally attacking me.

You mention your non-education, and "superior problem solving skill", because you are deeply insecure about your own ability. It is sad, but your issue is not my concern. If it matters, I am better at philosophy than you. Not only do i know more, but i can actually engage in abstract reasoning!

HexHammer

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:36 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158318 wrote:
You mention your non-education, and "superior problem solving skill", because you are deeply insecure about your own ability. It is sad, but your issue is not my concern. If it matters, I am better at philosophy than you. Not only do i know more, but i can actually engage in abstract reasoning!
No, quite the contrary, I know I'm a competent person, and you are in the woods with your feeble confused psycology.

You clearly can't see what is relevant and irrelevant, spare me.

You are like an UFO sighter who insist UFO's are alien space crafts, and I already there give up reasoning with you, then you go on about your babble, and just can't realize when the initial claim is wrong, what good is it to reason with a person who insist on beliveing in babble?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:43 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;158320 wrote:
No, quite the contrary, I know I'm a competent person, and you are in the woods with your feeble confused psycology.

You clearly can't see what is relevant and irrelevant, spare me.

You are like an UFO sighter who insist UFO's are alien space crafts, and I already there give up reasoning with you, then you go on about your babble, and just can't realize when the initial claim is wrong, what good is it to reason with a person who insist on beliveing in babble?

Am i babble? or Are you just unable to read?

Are we talking about UFO now? When are you going to show the op post wrong? Can you give me one single reason i need to take you seriously?

wayne

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:48 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Story:

You are a doctor, and you see a person X that is about to die from a disease that can be prevented given sufficient care. The problem is that the treatment itself is too expensive, and regular insurance does not cover the patient ` s treatment.

1. An agent( by analogy: government) knowing person X can be saved from disease, and not doing anything about it.

If 1 is true, then it follows that:

added:

I can't see how you infer 4 from three.
Also in three, it doesn't follow like you say, because in 1 the right to life can apparently be purchased.

As far as your illistrative example, the police (by analogy: government) have already been purchased and commissioned to interfere when they see you being slaughtered.

I think whatever this is supposed to mean needs a whole lot of work before it even begins to make any sense. :perplexed:

HexHammer

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:59 am
@wayne,
wayne;158326 wrote:
I think whatever this is supposed to mean needs a whole lot of work before it even begins to make any sense. :perplexed:
..as I just told you TuringEquivalent? Others seems to agree with me.

lazymon

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:09 am
@TuringEquivalent,
So you are saying that this is a case for "Nationalized Healthcare" but there are many holes in your case. Sure we have a right to life.

Story:

At least in my town anyone in an emergency situation gets treated on the spot. Does not matter about if they can pay or not. That is just common courtesy. Also it is impossible for me to go from 1 > 2, since life is not just black and white it is full of colors. You can't make a case for life that just hinges on one if. There are too many other ifs...

For example consider these circumstances.

What if that person that is denied treatment wants to die?

What if there are no more resources necessary for the treatment?

What if on and on...

So your case is a bit too simple. I can however wrap my head on that it seems unfair for someone who has say cancer and is denied free treatment, while other humans are able to get this free treatment. Life is just unfair and personally I don't think the government has the right to tell people who can give things away for free. Giving should come from the heart so to speak.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:14 am
@wayne,
wayne;158326 wrote:

1 I can't see how you infer 4 from three.

2 Also in three, it doesn't follow like you say, because in 1 the right to life can apparently be purchased.

3 As far as your illistrative example, the police (by analogy: government) have already been purchased and commissioned to interfere when they see you being slaughtered.

4 I think whatever this is supposed to mean needs a whole lot of work before it even begins to make any sense. :perplexed:

1. If you have a son, and some madman came to your house, and kill your son. Under this situation, you would want the court/judge to sentence this madman to prison. How is that possible? Intuitively, because we value life over death. We( as a people) value your son` s life over the life of an ant, so we sentence this madman to jail. If your son do not have the right to life, then why should the court convict this madman to prison?

2. I said 3 follows from 2. Even so, i have no clue what you are driving at.

3. My example don ` t involve a police. It involve a regular layman, so, does not have any obligation to help you at all. Why should this regular person ( conducting his daily routine) help you, when a madman is slaughtering your family?

4 Given the fact that you misread many of my examples, i am not surprise you are confused.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » We have the right to live. A case for nationalizing healthcare.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 01:13:35