Cloning extinct animals

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

1CellOfMany

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:30 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;139027 wrote:
Sorry to say, but some of you guys speak like ignorent peasents. In India some will say that buss with all those pepole who drove off the cliff, it's their own fault, and therefore I won't help them, it's karma they drove off the cliff.

It's riddled with superstition and stupidity.

IF!!! The enviroment had higher oxygen lvls and thereby created a unique condition for the dinos, then it would be wrong to bring them back, BUT!!! ..if the living conditions were as ours today, and the poor dinos only got whiped because of disasters, such as huge meteors and vulcano eruption, then imo it wouldn't be wrong. It wouldn't be much different than saving people after an earthquake disaster, tornados ..etc.

I am curious about your comparison here: On the one hand, you advocate re-creating new individuals of several thousand species of creatures which dominated the wildlife of the planet millions of years ago and would, in this age, destroy the ecosystem as we know it and/or be destroyed by it. Then you compare this to rescuing living members of our own species which are in peril. How is ther any similarity?

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:45 am
@Aedes,
I'm afraid that your ..let's call it "wording valuation" is distorted.

When did I say "you advocate re-creating new individuals of several thousand species of creatures" You are seeing things which I don't ..I'm impressed.

You guys advocate not to bring them back, because they got extinc of a natual reason.

So it is the natural reason, as the reason in it self, not to bring them back. The comparison basis is therefor a natural occuring disaster, not because the one is animals and the other is humans, that is not the basis of the discussion.

1CellOfMany

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 10:48 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;139051 wrote:
I'm afraid that your ..let's call it "wording valuation" is distorted.

When did I say "you advocate re-creating new individuals of several thousand species of creatures" You are seeing things which I don't ..I'm impressed.

You guys advocate not to bring them back, because they got extinc of a natual reason.

So it is the natural reason, as the reason in it self, not to bring them back. The comparison basis is therefor a natural occuring disaster, not because the one is animals and the other is humans, that is not the basis of the discussion.

Actually, Hexahammer, we have moved on from the argument which you quote here. Please note that in the last few posts, (as well as many earlier posts) the argument for not bringing back these creatures has to do with the disastrous damage such an act would have on life in these present times. The cause of their extinction is not nearly as relevant.

As you yourself have stated, if the only reason not to clone the dinosaurs was that "they became extinct from natural causes," that reason is not particularly compelling: The dinosaurs, along with hundreds of thousands of other species of plant and animal, may have all been made extinct in a few centuries (perhaps even a few decades) by a single disaster.
Why did dinosaurs become extinct?: Information from Answers.com

What good reason can you give in favor of of cloning dinosaurs or other extinct animals, besides making big bucks providing status symbols for millionaires?

---------- Post added 03-12-2010 at 11:57 PM ----------

HexHammer;139027 wrote:
Sorry to say, but some of you guys speak like ignorent peasents. In India some will say that buss with all those pepole who drove off the cliff, it's their own fault, and therefore I won't help them, it's karma they drove off the cliff.

It's riddled with superstition and stupidity.

So what you guys basicly are saying, is that we shouldn't help people after an earthquake, tsunami, lavine, forest fire ..etc.

..what's wrong with you people?

Actually, you are the only one here saying things like "that buss with all those pepole who drove off the cliff, it's their own fault, and therefore I won't help them, it's karma they drove off the cliff." There is a huge difference between helping living people who have friends and family and other connections in the world today, and cloning a creature that has no connection to the present world.

Would you risk your life to rescue people after a disaster? I would.

I am curious why you choose to be insulting in your posts. Do you realize how badly it reflects on your own character?

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:56 pm
@Aedes,
Please stop the bickering back and forth! It is o.k. to disagree for the sake of conversation, but please do agree to disagree when it is necessary and conducive for productive philosophical discussion. We want to keep the nonsense to a minimum, and the only way to do that efficiently is through a proactive user base.

Anyway, thank you for your time, and thanks for reading my digression. Now, back to the philosophy!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:59:11