Cloning extinct animals

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:16 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;60363 wrote:
Should we?

There's an article on this subject in the brand new National Geographic.

Let's ignore for a moment all the technical aspects which make it unlikely to do things like clone dinosaurs.

I see value in cloning highly endangered animals so as to bolster wild populations to the point where they can recuperate.

I can even see merit in saving recently extinct animals, like the dodo, given that we have enough DNA from different organisms to create a somewhat diverse population.

But remotely extinct animals -- why would we? What ecosystem would they inhabit? Would we clone one to be a specimen for a zoo, or would we clone many so that sabertooth tigers can roam the earth again?

I really don't see it as essentially any different from the manipulation and use of animals that is going on right now. We have bred all sorts of animals that are unfit for life in the wild, for various purposes (pets, meat, whatever). This is not to say that it would be okay to clone extinct animals, but it would be no more wrong than what we are already doing. If what we are doing now is okay, I don't see any reasonable argument that can be given against cloning long extinct animals. Of course, if what we are currently doing is wrong, then it may well be that cloning extinct animals is wrong. Whatever theory you come up with, be consistent about it.

insomnia soul

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 08:36 pm
@Pyrrho,
Quote:
Cloning extinct animals - should we?
English is not my first language, so I hope you understand what I want to say here Smile

I want to say; why should we, and what value do we expect from these animals?

Of course it would be amazing to see an extinct animal in the zoo for many reasons.
But just because we put an extinct animal back in nature or in a cage doesn't mean that animal is back to life here on earth in my book. It's just an illusion, a biological hologram of the past.

The extinction of those animals are a natural consequence of actions in the universe. And it's not an easy fix to bring them back, what's done is done.

What we really get out of a clone like that are to me very frightening; Many of us would put value in an illusion that is not fixing the history, but are destroying and confusing our present and future (If we see the natural evolution as a successful future. If not; we can do whatever we want, but we also have to accept the consequences, and the end of our world as we know it).

But I would not be surprised if in the future, extinct animals would be cloned and put in the zoo. And people watching them just like we're watching pictures of dinosaurs in a book today.
And I don't think that would be ethically wrong, since I don't think we have brought back those animals to reality. To exist you have to have a real past, coming out of natural causes, otherwise you're nothing more than a picture in a book.

HexHammer

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 08:47 pm
@insomnia soul,
insomnia_soul;137367 wrote:
natural consequence of actions in the universe
Such as?

Would say it was very unnatural events of occurance, that killed the poor dinos.

insomnia soul

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 09:28 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;137370 wrote:
Such as?

I said they became extinct of natural consequences because of actions in the universe.

Everything has consequences. And you cannot make something that died exist again in a natural place in the universe, by taking shortcuts pretending the cause of the consequence never existed. Well maybe you can in a way, but then there's a big risk it all will collapse.

The animals can't be brought back to our world again with cloning.
If you want them back to view in a zoo as a modern history book, fine. But they can't be brought back in our world as they once were, and therefor they cant exist again.
If we did clone an extinct animal and let it out in the wild, I don't think we have brought something back. We did create something new.

HexHammer

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 11:04 pm
@insomnia soul,
insomnia_soul;137377 wrote:
I said they became extinct of natural consequences because of actions in the universe.

Everything has consequences. And you cannot make something that died exist again in a natural place in the universe, by taking shortcuts pretending the cause of the consequence never existed. Well maybe you can in a way, but then there's a big risk it all will collapse.

The animals can't be brought back to our world again with cloning.
If you want them back to view in a zoo as a modern history book, fine. But they can't be brought back in our world as they once were, and therefor they cant exist again.
If we did clone an extinct animal and let it out in the wild, I don't think we have brought something back. We did create something new.
Dude, you clearly doesn't have a damn clue what you are talking about.

Quote:
natural consequences
Let me repeat myself ..such as? ..What consequences? If you say there's consequences, you must naturally be able to specify which.

We already have brought back the extinct Bos primigenius.

insomnia soul

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 09:40 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;137406 wrote:
Dude, you clearly doesn't have a damn clue what you are talking about.

No I don't know much about this, only telling my view on it all.
But it would be nice to hear what you think is so wrong with my thoughts, and why.

Quote:
Let me repeat myself ..such as? ..What consequences? If you say there's consequences, you must naturally be able to specify which.

I don't know if it's that english is not my first language that made it sound wrong.

I mean that their extinction is a natural consequence of actions in the universe, and that much can go wrong if we bring them "back" in an unnatural way.

And if we do, I don't see the point besides creating a "modern history book", since without a natural history I don't think the animals really can exist again, we would create something new, that often doesn't fit in. Create a risk and mess up the world in the long run.

HexHammer

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 09:52 am
@insomnia soul,
insomnia_soul;137515 wrote:
I mean that their extinction is a natural consequence of actions in the universe, and that much can go wrong if we bring them "back" in an unnatural way.
Oo ..dude ..it sounds so biblically to say there's a reason without specifying any reason, you must be very young in order to say such thing.

insomnia_soul;137515 wrote:
And if we do, I don't see the point besides creating a "modern history book", since without a natural history I don't think the animals really can exist again, we would create something new, that often doesn't fit in. Create a risk and mess up the world in the long run.
I'm very curious of which rock you live under.

My good sir, in that world which I live, rare animals are being hunted to extinction, for very selfcenterd and cynically people who wants various parts of these rare animals.

I'm sure these same people would pay loads of money in order to get a dino part.

insomnia soul

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 05:48 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;137520 wrote:
Oo ..dude ..it sounds so biblically to say there's a reason without specifying any reason, you must be very young in order to say such thing.

I'm very curious of which rock you live under.

My good sir, in that world which I live, rare animals are being hunted to extinction, for very selfcenterd and cynically people who wants various parts of these rare animals.

I'm sure these same people would pay loads of money in order to get a dino part.

Since this is a philosophy forum, I'm pretty surprised how little you seem to understand what I mean, and and see it from my philosophical view.

It seems like you don't even care about the philosophical view, and only want to argue about scientific proof.

Why do I need to specify the different reasons for the extinction of the animals, does it matter in what I talk about?
Some maybe died because of climate change a long time ago, some because of humans killed them all, so what?

That they died was a natural consequence of the actions that happened in the world, and I don't think we can bring them back again so easily.
And I don't talk about animals that have only been extinct for a short time, but animals that have been extinct for very long.
But for being in a philosophy forum you seem to have very little understanding for my philosophical view.

I'm no expert in extinct animals or philosophy, so if you think I'm wrong I would happily read your view on it, and hear where you think I'm wrong (even though I don't think a person's philosophical view can be wrong). But it doesn't seem like you want to do that, you only write stuff that's on the edge of being rude.

HexHammer

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 05:56 pm
@insomnia soul,
insomnia_soul;137704 wrote:
Since this is a philosophy forum, I'm pretty surprised how little you seem to understand what I mean, and and see it from my philosophical view.

It seems like you don't even care about the philosophical view, and only want to argue about scientific proof.

Why do I need to specify the different reasons for the extinction of the animals, does it matter in what I talk about?
Some maybe died because of climate change a long time ago, some because of humans killed them all, so what?

That they died was a natural consequence of the actions that happened in the world, and I don't think we can bring them back again so easily.
And I don't talk about animals that have only been extinct for a short time, but animals that have been extinct for very long.
But for being in a philosophy forum you seem to have very little understanding for my philosophical view.

I'm no expert in extinct animals or philosophy, so if you think I'm wrong I would happily read your view on it, and hear where you think I'm wrong (even though I don't think a person's philosophical view can be wrong). But it doesn't seem like you want to do that, you only write stuff that's on the edge of being rude.
I love philosophy, that's why I'm here in this forum, at the same time, I like people to say something reasonable intelligent.

To say
Quote:
That they died was a natural consequence of the actions that happened in the world
without specifying what, is halfwittet. It's like saying somthing is fast ..but how is it fast? Fast acceleratioin? Fast top speed? ..or fast in another way?

Sorry to be harsh, and brutal on you, but that's what it sometimes takes to wake up and evolve out of your dreamstate.

insomnia soul

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 06:17 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;137706 wrote:
I love philosophy, that's why I'm here in this forum, at the same time, I like people to say something reasonable intelligent. To say without specifying what, is halfwittet. It's like saying somthing is fast ..but how is it fast? Fast acceleratioin? Fast top speed? ..or fast in another way?

Sorry to be harsh, and brutal on you, but that's what it sometimes takes to wake up and evolve out of your dreamstate.

Oh my god... In this discussion, why is it so important for you to hear HOW they became extinct!?
I think you concentrate too much on the scientific things of my text, when all I talk about is my philosophical view on it.

And since you think I'm so wrong, can you give me an intelligent "right" view on the topic and my question about the topic?
Why can't you explain the whole thing for me since I'm so wrong, and you know it?

If an animal became extinct because of changing conditions. Then we bring them "back", and I don't think that's actually bringing them back, since I think a living thing needs a natural history to exist in the way I talk about, what's wrong with it, and why does it matter HOW every animal became extinct!?

HexHammer

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 06:44 pm
@insomnia soul,
insomnia_soul;137709 wrote:
Oh my god... In this discussion, why is it so important for you to hear HOW they became extinct!?
I think you concentrate too much on the scientific things of my text, when all I talk about is my philosophical view on it.

And since you think I'm so wrong, can you give me an intelligent "right" view on the topic and my question about the topic?
Why can't you explain the whole thing for me since I'm so wrong, and you know it?

If an animal became extinct because of changing conditions. Then we bring them "back", and I don't think that's actually bringing them back, since I think a living thing needs a natural history to exist in the way I talk about, what's wrong with it, and why does it matter HOW every animal became extinct!?
Basic rules of communication. If you make statements you don't have a clue about, then noone will eventually heed you, and it breaks the dynamics of a discussion.

It matters because you use that reason they became extinct, not to bring them back, that's the selfcontradiction that you can't see.

It is theorized that the dinos became extinct, because of some planet busting huuuuge asteroids, and massive vulcano bursts, which is force major and not really imo a reason not to bring them back.

insomnia soul

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 07:36 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;137715 wrote:
Basic rules of communication. If you make statements you don't have a clue about, then noone will eventually heed you, and it breaks the dynamics of a discussion.

The problem seems to be that you can't accept that people have different philosophical views on things, so when your view doesn't match; you say the other person is wrong.
It seems that you want philosophy to have a "right and wrong" in every way.

Quote:
It matters because you use that reason they became extinct, not to bring them back, that's the selfcontradiction that you can't see.

It is theorized that the dinos became extinct, because of some planet busting huuuuge asteroids, and massive vulcano bursts, which is force major and not really imo a reason not to bring them back.
Force major? Like the earth is not a part of the universe, and if something from "outside" extinct a group of animals on earth; "it doesn't really count", "something went wrong"?

From your point of view, if the world was a golf course; In a tournament the player hit the ball so it is flying straight towards the hole, but the wind catches it and forcing the ball outside the course "out of bounds".
Then you think that's not a reason to accept the ball is out of play, you blame the wind, and you want to pick up the ball and get another chance to hit your first shot, and pretend it never happened.

I think the wind is a part of the game, and don't think you just can go get the ball, and hit your first shot again in the tournament thinking that everything is fair and will work out the way it should for everyone - the tournament is messed up and destroyed.
And the longer the tournament has been going on, the more harm does your "cheating" do.

You say "in my opinion not a reason to not bring them back" - that's YOUR opinion, my opinion is the opposite, and you call me unintelligent and that I'm wrong because of it.
Why is your philosophical opinion right and my wrong?

HexHammer

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:33 pm
@insomnia soul,
I will just do the both of us a favor and put you on ignore, I'll eventually take you off in a couple of years, when I'm sure you have grown older.

insomnia soul

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 09:19 pm
@HexHammer,
First of all it would be interesting to hear what you other people say about my thoughts and this discussion me and HexHammer have had.
I'm not an expert, and would gladly hear constructive criticism on my way of thinking, if it comes from a nice person who does it with the right motives.
Even though I don't think the philosophical thoughts I've had in this discussion can be called wrong, since it's just my personal view.

HexHammer;137746 wrote:
I will just do the both of us a favor and put you on ignore, I'll eventually take you off in a couple of years, when I'm sure you have grown older.

lol, is that what you do when you feel you can't win; using a few sarcastic comments to make the person feel bad, before you quit the discussion by putting them on ignore?

So far to me you're nothing more than a "forum wise ass", that is not here to discuss philosophy. You seem to be here to tell people they're wrong, pushing them down, and putting them in their place to feel better about yourself.

If you would have been right and the bigger man here; you would have accepted my philosophical view, explained yours, and told me why you disagree with me.
Instead you said I was wrong, called me unintelligent, tried to push me down several times, and then put me on ignore.
You don't ever have to remove that ignore if it's my choice, I don't want to discuss philosophy with ppl like you anyway.

1CellOfMany

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 11:35 pm
@insomnia soul,
insomnia_soul;137771 wrote:
First of all it would be interesting to hear what you other people say about my thoughts and this discussion me and HexHammer have had.
I'm not an expert, and would gladly hear constructive criticism on my way of thinking, if it comes from a nice person who does it with the right motives.
Even though I don't think the philosophical thoughts I've had in this discussion can be called wrong, since it's just my personal view.

lol, is that what you do when you feel you can't win; using a few sarcastic comments to make the person feel bad, before you quit the discussion by putting them on ignore?

So far to me you're nothing more than a "forum wise ass", that is not here to discuss philosophy. You seem to be here to tell people they're wrong, pushing them down, and putting them in their place to feel better about yourself.

If you would have been right and the bigger man here; you would have accepted my philosophical view, explained yours, and told me why you disagree with me.
Instead you said I was wrong, called me unintelligent, tried to push me down several times, and then put me on ignore.
You don't ever have to remove that ignore if it's my choice, I don't want to discuss philosophy with ppl like you anyway.

Insomnia_soul, what you have posted has been clear and made perfect sense from the start. I applaud your patience and forbearance in the face of hexhammer's rudeness.

insomnia_soul;137367 wrote:

I want to say; why should we, and what value do we expect from these animals?

Of course it would be amazing to see an extinct animal in the zoo for many reasons.
But just because we put an extinct animal back in nature or in a cage doesn't mean that animal is back to life here on earth in my book. It's just an illusion, a biological hologram of the past.

I agree with your assessment. There is a dynamic balance of organisms in any ecosystem. Bringing creatures from one ecosystem to another will disrupt that balance. It is evident from several stories in the news in the last several years that introducing species from one continent to another can cause powerful disruption of an ecosystem. To clone a creature because some kids want to see "Wooly Mammoth vs. Sabertooth" in real life would be extremely foolish and immature.

Quote:
The extinction of those animals are a natural consequence of actions in the universe. And it's not an easy fix to bring them back, what's done is done.

Indeed! Evolutionary theory is based on observation that an animal becomes extinct when its environment changes so that it is not sufficiently fit to continue reproducing. In the case of the dinosaurs, it is believed that a huge meteor struck the earth near the Yucatan Peninsula, causing the sky to block out most sunlight from reaching the earth. The atmosphere and oceans cooled, many plants died, and so most of the ecosystems of the earth underwent huge transformations.

Quote:
What we really get out of a clone like that are to me very frightening; Many of us would put value in an illusion that is not fixing the history, but are destroying and confusing our present and future (If we see the natural evolution as a successful future. If not; we can do whatever we want, but we also have to accept the consequences, and the end of our world as we know it).

But I would not be surprised if in the future, extinct animals would be cloned and put in the zoo. And people watching them just like we're watching pictures of dinosaurs in a book today.
And I don't think that would be ethically wrong, since I don't think we have brought back those animals to reality. To exist you have to have a real past, coming out of natural causes, otherwise you're nothing more than a picture in a book.

I would guess that the results of "bringing back" a long-extinct creature and releasing it into a modern ecosystem would likely be death for the outsider: The foods that it is genetically adapted to eating may not be available in sufficient quantity, the climate may be entirely different, and even the balance of gasses in the atmosphere might be intolerable to its system. On the other hand, if a predator such as a sabertooth tiger was cloned and set into the wild, if it survived, it might do so by killing quite a lot of cows, pigs, sheep, humans, etc. It certainly would disrupt the current ecology and have unpredictable consequences for humanity and for all life on earth.

I also agree with your suggestion that such cloning might be worthwhile for a zoo of some kind. Instead of having to puzzle out from various clues what the outward appearance, habits etc. of the creatures might have been, we would have living creatures to observe. Of course, animals in a zoo do not behave much like they do in a more natural setting, but something like what was portrayed in the movie "Jurassic Park", where a whole habitat is created would be very illuminating.

In the final analysis, though, it seems to me that the resources of biological science have more pressing needs at this time. I agree with Aedes in post #4 where he says, "our ethical obligation comes down to responsible uses of our technology and responsible goals, as opposed to principled use or abandonment of a technology just because it feels viscerally like we're playing god." I believe strongly that "with great power comes great responsibility", and our technology and creativity give us great power. The question is, however, how will that power be used? And, since this thread is in the Ethics branch, it is appropriate that we consider what ethical principals might be involved.

Like you, insomnia_soul, I participate here to improve my mind and share ideas, which is what we did when I studied philosophy in college, and what real philosophers do.

jgweed

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:14 am
@Aedes,
Intellectual discourse generally involves either the clarification of thinking about a topic, or a discussion about alternative perspectives. In practical matters, it seems reasonable in addition to argue that one alternative is better and to provide warrants for that assertion, rather than dismissing out of hand the person holding a different view and thus his viewpoint.
Hopefully, the thread can return to dialogue at a higher level.
John

insomnia soul

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:25 am
@jgweed,
1CellOfMany: Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it!
You both expanded my view on what I already was thinking and I learned some new things, that's why I came to this forum and can't really ask for more.

One thing that I thought of when reading your text talking about ethics:
If we brought an extinct animal back, and are not quite sure it could survive naturally in our world today; Why would we bring them back? For the animal's sake or for our? What is it we want to achieve with that?

If we could bring an animal back that have been extinct by humans only a few years ago, and we did it for the animal so it could go back and fit in the echo system I think it's a good thing.
But if we brought a naturally extinct animal back for our interest; money, food, entertainment, experiments, I think it would be ethically wrong for sure.

And I don't think technology like this only would be used for good things. Maybe in the beginning like a lot of other things, but to really have an other purpose in the near future, and that's what frightens me!

1CellOfMany

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 05:57 pm
@insomnia soul,
insomnia_soul;137898 wrote:
1CellOfMany: Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it!
You both expanded my view on what I already was thinking and I learned some new things, that's why I came to this forum and can't really ask for more.

One thing that I thought of when reading your text talking about ethics:
If we brought an extinct animal back, and are not quite sure it could survive naturally in our world today; Why would we bring them back? For the animal's sake or for our? What is it we want to achieve with that?

If we could bring an animal back that have been extinct by humans only a few years ago, and we did it for the animal so it could go back and fit in the echo system I think it's a good thing.
But if we brought a naturally extinct animal back for our interest; money, food, entertainment, experiments, I think it would be ethically wrong for sure.

And I don't think technology like this only would be used for good things. Maybe in the beginning like a lot of other things, but to really have an other purpose in the near future, and that's what frightens me!

I believe that technology of any sort should be used in a manner which serves and benefits ALL of mankind, and, by extension, all of life on Earth. Like you, I am afraid that technology like this, as well as other powerful technologies, will be used for the short-term personal gain of a few, at the expense of the rest of the world. I believe that for civilization to thrive and flourish, people need to learn a higher level of wisdom, cooperation and mutual support than we see today.

I cannot see any case or argument for cloning an extinct species for the animal's sake. It has been suggested that, because the Dodo was exterminated from the earth by humans, it would be morally right for humans to bring them back, if we could. But what does an extinct species gain by being cloned and re-populated? I cannot see any gain to the species, but only a way for humans to get over their guilt for having exterminated them. The ecosystem in which the dodo lived has already "moved on" and found a new balance without the dodo, so let's not try to bring them back.

prothero

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 12:28 am
@Aedes,
Well they are extinct for a reason.
The ecological niche that they occupied and the enviroment in which they thrived no longer exists.
We all watched "Jurrasic Park" didn't we.
In some ways it depends on whether one thinks there is any natural wisdom in the workings of nature in the first place.
Perhaps for very recently extinct or near extinct animals a valid argument could be made, but for the remotely extinct danger lurks.

It is true man constantly disrupts and fools with nature especially in modern technological times but I think since we are a product of nature we need to respect the natural balance of the ecosystem which produced us or we could it ignore it entirely at our own peril. Of course I think there is wisdom and reason inherent in nature so I have more respect for the workings of the natural world than some.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:17 am
@prothero,
Sorry to say, but some of you guys speak like ignorent peasents. In India some will say that buss with all those pepole who drove off the cliff, it's their own fault, and therefore I won't help them, it's karma they drove off the cliff.

It's riddled with superstition and stupidity.

So what you guys basicly are saying, is that we shouldn't help people after an earthquake, tsunami, lavine, forest fire ..etc.

..what's wrong with you people?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 11:33:31