Altruism, morality and selfishness

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:08 pm
@kennethamy,
I know we normally disagree Ken, but I like your bible quote.

salima

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:53 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;109009 wrote:
"Practise random acts of senseless kindness". Do good for no reason and no ulterior motive.

Incidentally I saw Mohamed Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank, interviewed on television last night. He is just like that.

If your sense of goodness, truth and beauty does not arise from within your own being, then how can it mean anything? Just keep focussing on that and everything else in life will fall into place. Without it, everything else will fall to pieces.

you know i read his book, i heard about him and thought what a fabulous idea, i would like to do that. but by the time i finished the book i didnt think much of the guy at all. maybe he had a bad writer or something, maybe it wasnt his words. but he kept bringing it up that once a person borrowed from his bank they became lifelong borrowers. that doesnt sound like anything to be proud of, it sounds as though he was happy they were dependent on him.

---------- Post added 12-08-2009 at 11:31 AM ----------

kennethamy;109026 wrote:
Psalms 37:35 I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.

but kenneth, what has this to do with anyone's best interest? the wicked have power to be sure, more often than the good. but their power is used to do more evil, and that is in no one's best interest.

actually a quote had come to my mind and i hesitated to post it, so here it is:
Matthew 16:26
American King James Version
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

perhaps it matters not if a person has no soul or believes he hasnt, but it can still be applied to that part of him which dwells within his body. even if it be mortal and disappears at the death of the body, being one and the same...it still has the power to transcend the material, and must be that which makes it possible for a person to choose good instead of evil.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:07 am
@salima,
salima;109125 wrote:
y of, it sounds as though he was happy they were dependent on him.

---------- Post added 12-08-2009 at 11:31 AM ----------

but kenneth, what has this to do with anyone's best interest? the wicked have power to be sure, more often than the good. but their power is used to do more evil, and that is in no one's best interest.

It is in the wicked man's self-interest. And that's the point. Why ought he not to benefit himself even it it harms others? That's the question posed in the Republic. Why ought I to be a moral person, when I can benefit myself by being an immoral person?

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:10 am
@raidon04,
I think the issue is this. What is it that makes man happy? Love feels good. But so does wealth and, in the short term, revenge.

A human has the difficult job of harmonizing his instincts/desires.

salima

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:18 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109134 wrote:
It is in the wicked man's self-interest. And that's the point. Why ought he not to benefit himself even it it harms others? That's the question posed in the Republic. Why ought I to be a moral person, when I can benefit myself by being an immoral person?

but kenneth, i think i know you well enough by now to know that you dont believe in being immoral in order to profit materially. you must have the answer to mr socrates' question, spit it out already! i simply cant articulate things as convincingly as you do, help me out here!

kennethamy

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:31 am
@salima,
salima;109147 wrote:
but kenneth, i think i know you well enough by now to know that you dont believe in being immoral in order to profit materially. you must have the answer to mr socrates' question, spit it out already! i simply cant articulate things as convincingly as you do, help me out here!

Socrates's answer was already given by me in post #46. Last three lines. Also why I didn't think it was much good as an answer.

salima

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:37 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109153 wrote:
Socrates's answer was already given by me in post #46. Last three lines. Also why I didn't think it was much good as an answer.

no, it was a terrible answer. i thought you could have come up with a better one than that actually...

ok, let's go back to the earlier part of the thread where it was mentioned that both feeling/emotion and reason/logic were necessary to make good moral decisions. so those often lead a person to choose to do something that does not benefit him materially, but it benefits him otherwise because he is being logical and sensitive at the same time, not allowing his emotions to run amok nor his logic to outwit his heart.

how can it benefit anyone to behave without a sense of reason or feeling?
in essence, isnt that what one would have to do in order to be immoral?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:41 am
@salima,
salima;109157 wrote:
no, it was a terrible answer. i thought you could have come up with a better one than that actually...

ok, let's go back to the earlier part of the thread where it was mentioned that both feeling/emotion and reason/logic were necessary to make good moral decisions. so those often lead a person to choose to do something that does not benefit him materially, but it benefits him otherwise because he is being logical and sensitive at the same time, not allowing his emotions to run amok nor his logic to outwit his heart.

how can it benefit anyone to behave without a sense of reason or feeling?
in essence, isnt that what one would have to do in order to be immoral?

Wasn't my answer. It was Socrates's. You sound a little confused. Feeling and emotion do not lead a wicked person to choose to do something that does not benefit him. He is wicked. Remember? He does everything only to benefit himself even at the expense of others.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:46 am
@raidon04,
When is adultery justified? Is killing a person who is only about to injure your child acceptable, if it prevents the injury?

Is killing an old lady justifiable if it allows you to feed your kids? Or is it more moral to let the kids starve, and "do know harm"?

If a person could steal (computer fraud) a dime from every charity in the world and end up rich, is he justified by the happiness he brings himself?

salima

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:57 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109159 wrote:
Wasn't my answer. It was Socrates's. You sound a little confused. Feeling and emotion do not lead a wicked person to choose to do something that does not benefit him. He is wicked. Remember? He does everything only to benefit himself even at the expense of others.

no, kenneth-i realize it was socrates' answer, and i think it was terrible and that i believe you could articulate a better one based on logic.

i can only define 'evil person' as 'person who does evil things'. so using our emotions as total motivation, we would be likely to do a lot of evil things. or using logic alone, such as 'kill the king and keep his wealth so i would be rich' leads to an evil act. i believe these two tools, logic and emotion, if used in balance would lead to a good moral decision.

you may say the person in the fable used the reasoning 'killing the king and taking his wealth will provide me what i want' and his emotions telling him, 'i feel lousy to see the king with all that wealth and i have nothing' so he is in synch, but his reasoning is faulty and his emotions are not being fully considered.

a moral decision would be arrived at by knowing that logically it does not follow that people are happy when they are rich. it is illogical to believe that it is ok to murder someone and steal, these are values agreed upon by the vast majority of humanity. and as i mentioned, even those people who do commit murder and rob would not want it to be done to them. they know it is wrong, and cannot logically reach a conclusion that it is ok for them to do and not other people.

a moral decision would be enhanced by using the emotions, not only positive bit negative ones like fear, to understand that the king is a human being, how much responsibility he has, does he have a family, will anyone want to avenge his death, will the murderer later be able to live with what he has done or face his loved ones, etc.

Camerama

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:32 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109161 wrote:
When is adultery justified? Is killing a person who is only about to injure your child acceptable, if it prevents the injury?

Adultery? That is pressupposing the authenticity and purpose of marriage. What is the purpose of marriage? Does it sanction love? A human convention legitimating love under god, by law. What is the merit? You attack the crime of adultery, but ignore the standards it presupposes.
Also, retaliatory violence is permissable, invariably, but exclusively in defense, and against the initiator of violence.

Is killing an old lady justifiable if it allows you to feed your kids? Or is it more moral to let the kids starve, and "do know harm"?

Uh, though i can't imagine a situation where murder would feed your children, barring bounty hunter or mercenary assassin, it is immoral. Food is a commodity, money is a commodity, it must be earned. Children are a claim on their parents, as "non-adults," it is your duty to feed, shelter, clothe, and protect them. The taking of unearned wealth is unjustifyable, under any circumstance. Doing so perverts the fundamental right to property, and i guess in this case, life.

If a person could steal (computer fraud) a dime from every charity in the world and end up rich, is he justified by the happiness he brings himself?

Haha no the end doesn't justify the means. The same could be asked for a serial killer who gets pleasure from killing. Does his pleasure justify his means of assuming it?

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:03 pm
@raidon04,
Well, I salute you for answering the questions thoroughly. I know the situations are unlikely, but theoretical questions can bring out the difficulty in ethical positions. I don't have kids, but I think I would steal to feed them. I feel that many would commit armed robbery if it was the only way to feed their children. Adultery is more complicated. Sometimes people marry too young. Sometimes spouses fail one another. I do reverence the institution of marriage, in any case. I would kill a stranger to protect my kids from serious injury, assuming of course that this stranger was intentionally trying to injure my child.

Would anyone trade a finger to provide a starving person food for a month?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 08:10 am
@salima,
salima;109164 wrote:
no, kenneth-i realize it was socrates' answer, and i think it was terrible and that i believe you could articulate a better one based on logic.

i can only define 'evil person' as 'person who does evil things'. so using our emotions as total motivation, we would be likely to do a lot of evil things. or using logic alone, such as 'kill the king and keep his wealth so i would be rich' leads to an evil act. i believe these two tools, logic and emotion, if used in balance would lead to a good moral decision.

you may say the person in the fable used the reasoning 'killing the king and taking his wealth will provide me what i want' and his emotions telling him, 'i feel lousy to see the king with all that wealth and i have nothing' so he is in synch, but his reasoning is faulty and his emotions are not being fully considered.

Actually, you do agree with Socrates in the most part. His answer was that it is never in anyone's own self-interest to do what is evil, since by doing evil, a person is, in fact, harming himself. In fact Socrates held that it was better to have evil done to one's self, than to do evil to others, since doing evil is always harmful to one's self than any evil done to you. For evil done to you can harm only your body, but the evil you do harms your self (or what Christians would call, one's soul). So, Socrates said that it cannot be in your own interest to do evil whatever material benefits you get from doing so. That is why he famously said that it you know what the right thing to do is, you will be motivated to do it, since doing right always benefits you. Therefore, Socrates argued, one never does evil knowingly, since no one would do evil if he knew that doing evil would harm himself far more that it harms the other.

So I think you do agree with Socrates and don't think his answer is terrible. The question is whether Socrates is right.

salima

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 08:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109795 wrote:
Actually, you do agree with Socrates in the most part. His answer was that it is never in anyone's own self-interest to do what is evil, since by doing evil, a person is, in fact, harming himself. In fact Socrates held that it was better to have evil done to one's self, than to do evil to others, since doing evil is always harmful to one's self than any evil done to you. For evil done to you can harm only your body, but the evil you do harms your self (or what Christians would call, one's soul). So, Socrates said that it cannot be in your own interest to do evil whatever material benefits you get from doing so. That is why he famously said that it you know what the right thing to do is, you will be motivated to do it, since doing right always benefits you. Therefore, Socrates argued, one never does evil knowingly, since no one would do evil if he knew that doing evil would harm himself far more that it harms the other.

So I think you do agree with Socrates and don't think his answer is terrible. The question is whether Socrates is right.

yep-what he said!

i am glad for knowing someone said that so i can quote him instead of having to say it myself. who would believe me if i said such things?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 08:24 am
@salima,
salima;109799 wrote:
yep-what he said!

i am glad for knowing someone said that so i can quote him instead of having to say it myself. who would believe me if i said such things?

But it is not really good enough just to say it. You have to have some reason to believe it is true. The wicked still flourish, like the green bay tree.

Camerama

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:21 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109711 wrote:
Well, I salute you for answering the questions thoroughly. I know the situations are unlikely, but theoretical questions can bring out the difficulty in ethical positions. I don't have kids, but I think I would steal to feed them. I feel that many would commit armed robbery if it was the only way to feed their children. Adultery is more complicated. Sometimes people marry too young. Sometimes spouses fail one another. I do reverence the institution of marriage, in any case. I would kill a stranger to protect my kids from serious injury, assuming of course that this stranger was intentionally trying to injure my child.

Would anyone trade a finger to provide a starving person food for a month?

I would also steal to feed my (future) children, but it is still amoral and ignoble. Also, the finger...it all is respective to my hierarchy of values. If it was my brother, i'd value his welfare moreso than my having a finger. With a stranger i really doubt it.

salima

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:53 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109800 wrote:
But it is not really good enough just to say it. You have to have some reason to believe it is true. The wicked still flourish, like the green bay tree.

actually, i do have reason to believe it-to know it is true. but i cant prove it to anyone else.

i have done enough bad things in my life and been happy about them at the time and later realized that it was me who really suffered. this is one of the reasons that people who do bad stuff keep on doing it and it gets worse and worse. they cant possibly admit the truth because when you realize how much you have hurt someone it hurts you in your heart and soul almost more than it is possible to bear. i think most people would go on lying to themselves and denying what they are doing is wrong because it would just hurt too much to believe the truth.

it takes a really deep commitment to truth to see this.

but even good people dont know it is true-because they havent done enough wrong stuff to actually know what it does to the doer.

Deepeco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:04 am
@raidon04,
I do a lot of actions to help others (working as a volunteer for the Red Cross, Greenpeace, a bird care centre,...). And everytime I help others, it gives me a good feeling. So to actions are both altruistic (I really want to help others as best as I can) and egoistic. However, I don't think that this egoism is bad, as it gives me more energy to take care of others. In other words: egoism combined with altruism is good. And the altruism should be honest, i.e. I'm not helping others for possible future benefits from them. I'm helping others because I love them. That means I do some efforts and critical reflection how to help others.
Perhaps there is a true altruistic act, e.g. helping others and having a bad feeling with that. but I don't think that this possibility is relevant.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:16 am
@Deepeco,
Deepeco;112349 wrote:
I do a lot of actions to help others (working as a volunteer for the Red Cross, Greenpeace, a bird care centre,...). And everytime I help others, it gives me a good feeling. So to actions are both altruistic (I really want to help others as best as I can) and egoistic. However, I don't think that this egoism is bad, as it gives me more energy to take care of others. In other words: egoism combined with altruism is good. And the altruism should be honest, i.e. I'm not helping others for possible future benefits from them. I'm helping others because I love them. That means I do some efforts and critical reflection how to help others.
Perhaps there is a true altruistic act, e.g. helping others and having a bad feeling with that. but I don't think that this possibility is relevant.

Do you do those actions in order to get that good feeling, or is it only that those actions cause you to get that good feeling? The first is, I suppose, egotistical. The second is not, because if you get a good feeling from doing nice things for others, that just shows you are a nice person. Why would you think it would be altruistic only if you felt bad after helping others? You did not help them just in order to get a good feeling, did you? That you get a good feeling when you help others is to your credit, not to your detriment.

Deepeco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:31 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;112351 wrote:
Do you do those actions in order to get that good feeling, or is it only that those actions cause you to get that good feeling? The first is, I suppose, egotistical. The second is not, because if you get a good feeling from doing nice things for others, that just shows you are a nice person. Why would you think it would be altruistic only if you felt bad after helping others? You did not help them just in order to get a good feeling, did you? That you get a good feeling when you help others is to your credit, not to your detriment.

Looking at mt conscious reflections, I do those things because I want to help others, and the good feeling is a kind of epiphenomenon, a nice side effect.
But unconsiously I might have other motives.
Anyway, I admit that my altruism also involves some egoism, but it might be more altruism than egoism because I think that I do it not for the good feeling, but for the duty to help others.
But... I tried to imagine an altruistic deed that would really make me feel bad on all levels. Would I still be doing that? It's hard to imagine such thing, but here the answer might be "no, I would not do it". However, I think that such an altruistic act doesn't exist. I do a lot of things that I don't really like (that give me feelings of frustration, fear, pain,...), but I see it as my duty to do so. And although the act itself often gives me a bad feeling, the thought that I do my duty always gives me a very good feeling. So everything I do, it always gives me at least some good feelings. And I don't think it's possible to do a good thing as a duty, while the idea of doing that duty gives you a bad feeling.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 12:45:54