Altruism, morality and selfishness

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Altruism, morality and selfishness

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:07 am
Is there really such a thing as a really true 'Unselfish Deed'? If so, what does such a act entail? What is exempt from an actual truly unselfish act and what is not.
The debate as to whether there is such a thing as a selfless act has been rigorously active since the period of Ancient Philosophy up to the Modern Era.
In the debate there has been many acclaimed Intellectuals of whom have proposed that a truly 'Unselfish Act' is idealistic and noble, but in actuality such is non-existent. Both within the field of Philosophy and of that of Psychology, the balance seems to be aimed in the agreement of altruism being fused with rational egoism.
For many of us, learning of how fallible the concept seems to be of a truly 'unselfish act' is, we become rather pessimistic and cynical of the World, and to many, a depression has been bestowed upon them from this rather despairing and forlorn truth.

I came to the understanding of the pathology of persons undertaking apparent good deeds from a very early age. The time of analysis was a period before I was accustomed to Philosophical Material and my observations and justifications were based on inquiry and search alone, all confided to me subjectively, with seldom chances to convey my view.
At first, the stark reality that Selflessness appears to bring the participant self gain was difficult to suffice. Not due to its incompatibility with rationality, but its apparent disparity with my moral array. It effected me emotionally and the apparent realism was a rather debilitating truth to accept.
I was once in conversation as an adolescent with someone regarding the pathology of those doing selfless acts to others in whichever situation or placement such was being acted in. I came to the realisation that indeed Altruism and Egoism is a rather beautiful thing to be fused together. If I hypothesised that Altruism alone had no self gain dividends, it would appear that such acts would be seldom practised. It appeared to me that psychological gains from acts of selflessness, created a fuel, a necessary provocation.
For me, I believe that egoism is a necessity for social consciousness to be conveyed and for compassion and kindness to bloom. I have come to the accedence of this cause with the ethicality no longer being contradictory for me. I appear to of come to a consummate of the reality and such has left me feeling rather captivated and pertinent in not just my own acting and the ethics of which can be constricting, but to the understanding of why and to which I and all Humans struggle to understand and for why we act in the mannerisms we do.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:42 am
@raidon04,
I would say you can act unselfishly, but only if you can see through yourself. If you can understand the self and all its machinations down to its depths, and then act because action is required, and not from some self-centred motive, then you can indeed act selflessly. But this takes some doing and won't generally come naturally.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:02 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;95743 wrote:
I would say you can act unselfishly, but only if you can see through yourself. If you can understand the self and all its machinations down to its depths, and then act because action is required, and not from some self-centred motive, then you can indeed act selflessly. But this takes some doing and won't generally come naturally.

Selfishness, and altruism, are often seen as contradictories (cannot both be true, and cannot both be false). But they are not. They are contraries, which is to say, although they cannot both be true, they can both be false. That is, there is a third possibility. Self-interest. That is what moralists of the 18th and 19th centuries like Adam Smith and Joseph Butler pointed out. If, for instance, there are two pieces of pie, one for A, and one for B, then, if A not only eats his own piece, but also eats B's, to which he is not entitled, A is being selfish. But if A takes his own piece, and leaves B's for B, he is not being selfish. He is being self-interested. If, A gives his piece to B, he is being altruistic. So, you can be self-interested, but not selfish. Mixing up selfishness with self-interestedness, is the why people keep saying that everyone is really selfish. Most people are self-interested and not altruistic, but that does not make them selfish. A selfish person takes what he is not entitled to, at the expense of other people. A self-interested person takes what he is entitled too, but not at the expense of others. If I go to bed at night, doing so is self-interested, but normally, is not selfish. I don't have to "see through myself" to act unselfishly. It is objectively true that if I just go to bed at night because I am tired, but I am entitled to do so, and not doing it at the expense of others, I am not being selfish, although I am being self-interested.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;95767 wrote:
Selfishness, and altruism, are often seen as contradictories (cannot both be true, and cannot both be false). But they are not. They are contraries, which is to say, although they cannot both be true, they can both be false. That is, there is a third possibility. Self-interest. That is what moralists of the 18th and 19th centuries like Adam Smith and Joseph Butler pointed out. If, for instance, there are two pieces of pie, one for A, and one for B, then, if A not only eats his own piece, but also eats B's, to which he is not entitled, A is being selfish. But if A takes his own piece, and leaves B's for B, he is not being selfish. He is being self-interested. If, A gives his piece to B, he is being altruistic. So, you can be self-interested, but not selfish. Mixing up selfishness with self-interestedness, is the why people keep saying that everyone is really selfish. Most people are self-interested and not altruistic, but that does not make them selfish. A selfish person takes what he is not entitled to, at the expense of other people. A self-interested person takes what he is entitled too, but not at the expense of others. If I go to bed at night, doing so is self-interested, but normally, is not selfish. I don't have to "see through myself" to act unselfishly. It is objectively true that if I just go to bed at night because I am tired, but I am entitled to do so, and not doing it at the expense of others, I am not being selfish, although I am being self-interested.

I think the confusion comes into play when people begin considering a self-interested act to be a selfish act. Even though you may think you're entitled to that piece of pie, there's always someone out there that will believe otherwise. Who is to decide entitlement? Do we simply all decide ourselves what we're entitled to? It's not always so easy to see if X action compromises another's well being, is it?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:28 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;95772 wrote:
I think the confusion comes into play when people begin considering a self-interested act to be a selfish act. Even though you may think you're entitled to that piece of pie, there's always someone out there that will believe otherwise. Who is to decide entitlement? Do we simply all decide ourselves what we're entitled to? It's not always so easy to see if X action compromises another's well being, is it?

Sure, people may have different views of entitlement. But that does not mean that all these views are equally correct. B may think he is entitled to the pie, but if, for instance, it was made clear to begin with that one piece of pie was A's, and B takes it anyway, at A's expense, that B thinks he is entitled to A's piece is of no consequence. He is wrong. All you are saying is that the notion of entitlement is a moral (as well as legal) notion, and that morality is subjective, so that what someone thinks is right is right. But, that is another story. I am talking within a certain framework, and pointing out that within that framework, there is a difference between selfishness and self-interest. Outside of that framework, all talk of morality goes by the board. There is no morality. I am talking within the framework or morality. You can deal with one issue at a time. Not all issues at one time. If you want to talk about whether morality is subjective or objective, then I think another thread would be appropriate. The notions of selfishness, altruism, and self-interest, presuppose a moral framework. If two people are playing chess, and it is pointed out that one person's king is in check by the opponent's queen, suppose that person who's king is in check asks, "but what if the queen doesn't move that way?" That is another issue, isn't it? We are supposing the normal rules of chess.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:41 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;95780 wrote:
Sure, people may have different views of entitlement. But that does not mean that all these views are equally correct. B may think he is entitled to the pie, but if, for instance, it was made clear to begin with that one piece of pie was A's, and B takes it anyway, at A's expense, that B thinks he is entitled to A's piece is of no consequence. He is wrong. All you are saying is that the notion of entitlement is a moral (as well as legal) notion, and that morality is subjective, so that what someone thinks is right is right. But, that is another story. I am talking within a certain framework, and pointing out that within that framework, there is a difference between selfishness and self-interest. Outside of that framework, all talk of morality goes by the board. There is no morality. I am talking within the framework or morality. You can deal with one issue at a time. Not all issues at one time. If you want to talk about whether morality is subjective or objective, then I think another thread would be appropriate. The notions of selfishness, altruism, and self-interest, presuppose a moral framework. If two people are playing chess, and it is pointed out that one person's king is in check by the opponent's queen, suppose that person who's king is in check asks, "but what if the queen doesn't move that way?" That is another issue, isn't it? We are supposing the normal rules of chess.

I'm saying I think presupposing a moral framework can be a waste of time. Not everyone is playing the same game, and often people are not. If everyone were playing chess, I would understand. But everyone is not. I'm not here to discuss the qualities of this, or anything to do with the subjectivity or objectivity of morality. I'm questioning the integrity of moral frameworks.

What does constructing a theoretical ruleset in order to show that the concepts "altruism", "self-interest" and "selfishness" are distinctively different allow us? If I can't apply it practically, it's no different than a plethora of other frameworks which hold little value in actual interaction. I encounter this all the time in the business world, for instance.

I can theorize all day how X can fit into Y and Y can fit into Z, but if X often does not fit into Y and Y does not often fit into Z, why am I wasting my time? Am I just trying to better conceptualize a certain situation when it does happen to come about?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:08 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;95782 wrote:
I'm saying I think presupposing a moral framework can be a waste of time. Not everyone is playing the same game, and often people are not. If everyone were playing chess, I would understand. But everyone is not. I'm not here to discuss the qualities of this, or anything to do with the subjectivity or objectivity of morality. I'm questioning the integrity of moral frameworks.

What does constructing a theoretical ruleset in order to show that the concepts "altruism", "self-interest" and "selfishness" are distinctively different allow us? If I can't apply it practically, it's no different than a plethora of other frameworks which hold little value in actual interaction. I encounter this all the time in the business world, for instance.

I can theorize all day how X can fit into Y and Y can fit into Z, but if X often does not fit into Y and Y does not often fit into Z, why am I wasting my time? Am I just trying to better conceptualize a certain situation when it does happen to come about?

Yes. We can talk about the rules of chess all day, but if you happen not to be interested in chess, then what is the point? Some people hold that all people are selfish, and some hold this is not true. But if you think that selfishness is a vacant notion, then than issue won't interest you. It is like discussing the finer points of theology with an atheist. The test of philosophy is not its practical application, whatever that happens to be. I am interested in epistemology and, for instance, how knowledge and belief differ. I don't know any practical application for that. On the other hand, there is no compulsion for anyone to be interested in what I happen to be interested in. Academic philosophy is a highly theoretical subject. I suppose that is why it is called academic philosophy.

raidon04

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 09:44 am
@raidon04,
The main motive of this thread was to allow those of which have scrutinised the motives of selflessness and indeed altruism and have come to a very pessimistic reflection, to review. The concept of Objectivity of which Ayn Rand coined for example, placed a rather stark light to ethical acts of kindness, and many readers of whom agreed of which was lectured, had become rather despondent by the insight presented. My hope was to allow the rather brief but clarifying message of which I typed to allow others not to view this likely concept in dissent and ornery, but to view the importance and thus positive traits of the cause at hand. Positivity can be found from almost every apparent negative

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 09:59 am
@raidon04,
raidon04;95841 wrote:
The main motive of this thread was to allow those of which have scrutinised the motives of selflessness and indeed altruism and have come to a very pessimistic reflection, to review. The concept of Objectivity of which Ayn Rand coined for example, placed a rather stark light to ethical acts of kindness, and many readers of whom agreed of which was lectured, had become rather despondent by the insight presented. My hope was to allow the rather brief but clarifying message of which I typed to allow others not to view this likely concept in dissent and ornery, but to view the importance and thus positive traits of the cause at hand. Positivity can be found from almost every apparent negative

Actions can be selfish or unselfish, but can motives be selfish or unselfish? Greed is, I think, a motive, and greed may cause people to act selfishly, but I don't think that selfishness is a motive. It is the name of a kind of action. In her book, The Virtue of Selfishness, she seems to understand a virtue as a kind of action, and she writes that the "exact meaning" of selfishness is "concern with one's own interests". Of course, by that definition, when I have a snack in the mid-morning, I am being selfish, because I feel a little hungry, and get a banana to appease my hunger. But would anyone really say that because I ate a banana that I bought, and was not depriving anyone else of that banana, that eating that banana was selfish of me? Would you? The word "selfish" is certainly a negative word, and calling someone "selfish" blames him for doing something wrong. But would eating a banana in the middle of the morning which I bought myself, and which no one wanted, be wrong? Why?

raidon04

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 10:07 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;95845 wrote:
Actions can be selfish or unselfish, but can motives be selfish or unselfish? Greed is, I think, a motive, and greed may cause people to act selfishly, but I don't think that selfishness is a motive. It is the name of a kind of action. In her book, The Virtue of Selfishness, she seems to understand a virtue as a kind of action, and she writes that the "exact meaning" of selfishness is "concern with one's own interests". Of course, by that definition, when I have a snack in the mid-morning, I am being selfish, because I feel a little hungry, and get a banana to appease my hunger. But would anyone really say that because I ate a banana that I bought, and was not depriving anyone else of that banana, that eating that banana was selfish of me? Would you? The word "selfish" is certainly a negative word, and calling someone "selfish" blames him for doing something wrong. But would eating a banana in the middle of the morning which I bought myself, and which no one wanted, be wrong? Why?
I think what is applicable here is action and/or motive. Should the physical act or the motives by the pinnacle of admission? or should the focus be preempted upon the conscious and subconscious stimulus? I believe this is not what is important for this thread's purpose. What is important is to not become melancholy and despondent from this apparent reality, as accepting such notions to be true, can be quite daunting and debilitating.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 10:23 am
@raidon04,
raidon04;95846 wrote:
I think what is applicable here is action and/or motive. Should the physical act or the motives by the pinnacle of admission? or should the focus be preempted upon the conscious and subconscious stimulus? I believe this is not what is important for this thread's purpose. What is important is to not become melancholy and despondent from this apparent reality, as accepting such notions to be true, can be quite daunting and debilitating.

It isn't even an apparent reality. Many actions are not selfish, and her notion of selfishness is simply confused. If I get a drink of water from the tap because my mouth is dry, would you tell me I was acting selfishly? Would it even appear selfish to you for me to do that? If you said that I was selfish form taking some water from the tap because my mouth was dry, I would think you were kidding, or I would not know what you were talking about. She's not gloomy, just silly.

raidon04

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:02 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;95848 wrote:
It isn't even an apparent reality. Many actions are not selfish, and her notion of selfishness is simply confused. If I get a drink of water from the tap because my mouth is dry, would you tell me I was acting selfishly? Would it even appear selfish to you for me to do that? If you said that I was selfish form taking some water from the tap because my mouth was dry, I would think you were kidding, or I would not know what you were talking about. She's not gloomy, just silly.

Indeed many people use the terms 'Selfish' and 'Self Interest' synonymously whilst others refute such a comparison due to Morality, Nihilists for example are unlikely to practise such a distinction as of that of psychoanalysts. It is arduous and rather confounding to come to an understanding if presented with a psychological definition and on the opposite side; a philosophical one. What ever answer One takes suffice within, acknowledge the 'alternative shades'.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:56 pm
@raidon04,
raidon04;95850 wrote:
Indeed many people use the terms 'Selfish' and 'Self Interest' synonymously whilst others refute such a comparison due to Morality, Nihilists for example are unlikely to practise such a distinction as of that of psychoanalysts. It is arduous and rather confounding to come to an understanding if presented with a psychological definition and on the opposite side; a philosophical one. What ever answer One takes suffice within, acknowledge the 'alternative shades'.

The two terms have clearly different meanings. There are lots of things I do that are self-interested, that are not selfish. All sefish actions are, of course, also self-interested actions. Maybe the confusion between all selfish actions are self-interested, which is true, and all self-interested actions are selfish, which is false, makes you think that because the first is true, the second is true. But, of course, that is no more the case, then because all apples are fruit is true, that all fruit are apples is true. It is important not to confuse all X is Y, with all Y is X. Anyone who confuses self-interest with selfishness, well, confuses self-interest with selfishness. Whoever he happens to be. It really doesn't matter. He has still confused them. After all, what words mean is not up to individuals.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:15 pm
@raidon04,
I think Kennethamy is referring to the notion of 'enlightened self-interest' which is one of the foundations of liberal democracy, and a very important principle it is too.

There are however other perspectives that could be considered. If you were, for example, committed by religious vows to serve the interests of all humanity, then you might put the interests of everyone else ahead of your own interests - a member of a religious order in a hospital, for example. In this case the commitment to absolute altruism, that is, the well-being of the whole community, would take precedence over your personal interests, although, from a spiritual perspective, you would also benefit greatly because of the principle that it is 'greater to give than to receive'. I am not advancing this as the general norm of behaviour, but it can be acknowledged as a way in which action can non-self-interested.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:26 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;95909 wrote:
I think Kennethamy is referring to the notion of 'enlightened self-interest' which is one of the foundations of liberal democracy, and a very important principle it is too.

There are however other perspectives that could be considered. If you were, for example, committed by religious vows to serve the interests of all humanity, then you might put the interests of everyone else ahead of your own interests - a member of a religious order in a hospital, for example. In this case the commitment to absolute altruism, that is, the well-being of the whole community, would take precedence over your personal interests, although, from a spiritual perspective, you would also benefit greatly because of the principle that it is 'greater to give than to receive'. I am not advancing this as the general norm of behaviour, but it can be acknowledged as a way in which action can non-self-interest.

"Enlightened self-interest" refers to what is really in one's self-interest, as contrasted with what one believes is in one's self-interest. After all, people can make mistakes about what is in the person's self-interest. And one might think that the interests of the community (perhaps religious) that one belongs to, is in one's own self-interest, since one belongs to that community. Whether that is true is, of course, a matter of fact. It may, or it may not, be true. The issue arises when the question is raised, why be moral when being moral is contrary to your own interest.

MaxBardus

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 09:13 pm
@raidon04,
Example of a self-less deed in modern day america: choosing (with the advent of contraception) to have and raise a child.

The issue at hand here is whether or not we believe in love; which I think could be defined as putting another first.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 01:15 am
@MaxBardus,
MaxBardus;95939 wrote:
Example of a self-less deed in modern day america: choosing (with the advent of contraception) to have and raise a child.

The issue at hand here is whether or not we believe in love; which I think could be defined as putting another first.

I don't know about the first, but there is a great deal in what you say about the second. Although that is not true about all kinds of love.

But, let's remember, that you don't have to be selfless to be unselfish. You can take what you are entitled to, without being selfish, as long as you do not deprive others of what they are entitled to.

MaxBardus

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 11:41 am
@raidon04,
Love is indeed "ecstasy", not in the sense of a moment of intoxication, but rather as a journey, an ongoing exodus out of the closed inward-looking self towards its liberation through self-giving, and thus towards authentic self-discovery and indeed the discovery of God-- Pope Benedict 16th (Deus Caritas Est #6)

kennethamy

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 02:15 pm
@MaxBardus,
MaxBardus;96037 wrote:
Love is indeed "ecstasy", not in the sense of a moment of intoxication, but rather as a journey, an ongoing exodus out of the closed inward-looking self towards its liberation through self-giving, and thus towards authentic self-discovery and indeed the discovery of God-- Pope Benedict 16th (Deus Caritas Est #6)

I happen to love Chinese food, but I don't consider it a journey, or even an ongoing exodus.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 02:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96056 wrote:
I happen to love Chinese food, but I don't consider it a journey, or even an ongoing exodus.

Perhaps if you had the outlook on life that Max has, your love for Chinese food would be that more satisfying! Haha.

But to the point: I think he was referring to the love a human has for another human. Or, at least, some kind of love deeper than the love one may have for Chinese food. I'm sure you inferred this.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Altruism, morality and selfishness
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:51:39