Moral Realism and Internalism

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Moral Realism and Internalism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

JP2U

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:56 am
Some of you might find this to be a very dense post so if you have any questions please feel free to ask them. I'm starting a new thread because the few other threads on moral realism don't seem to touch on my particular interest which is as follows:

I'm interested in hearing any thoughts about how one might go about reconciling moral realism with internalism. Personally I see no problem with doing this and thus wonder why it is that internalism is the near-exclusive domain of nonrealists of various stripes. I think that it's a misuse of moral-belief language to strip it of motivational-expressive content but that cognitivism and realism are nevertheless both true because we can, in fact, be right or wrong in our moral beliefs and that there are facts of the matter which are at least often not wholly dependent on our opinions: that is to say, not wholly dependent on our merely reporting such-and-such a belief. This seems unproblematic to me. Am I just missing something?

I'm a socratic intellecutalist, don't believe in true akrasia, don't believe in true amoralists, don't view the customary externalist or antirealist arguments involving them as being very persuasive at all, and think that these phenomena can be explained very simply within a realist-internalist framework.

I think that we can induce from our observations of how people actually use moral-belief language that it has a motivation-expressing component and that to strip it of that is not to speak the language at all. The fact that it has this component in no way requires that there not be associated moral facts which are at least partially independent of the expressed motivations themselves. The situation in which our opinions matter but there are other binding facts not dependent on our opinions would be akin to a game which has both a coordination and a noncoordination component.

The other binding facts (the noncoordination components) would include, for just one prime example, whether or not the course of action being held up as moral is appropriately universalizable or is, on the other hand, self-defeating (or, more weakly, self-stultifying). A moral claim can be correct only if the action it recommends isn't defeated in appropriately general practice and, correspondingly, if acting on the purpose which one sincerely expressing it has doesn't lead to ones purpose being defeated. This is nothing more than a demand that moral motivations be subject to a performative consistency constraint or be "minimally fit" to use an evolutionary term.

It is because they're subject to such a constraint that we can expect moral motivations to at least often be rational ones, and this is also at least partly why so many make the connection between rationality and morality so tight. This constraint can also help explain why societies in general are concerned with morality and why diverse societies so often agree on so many points of morality. This consistency constraint can even help explain why moral language has its motivational component: because apathy isn't appropriately generalizable and gets defeated as such.

While the talk about a generalizability/consistency constraint sounds superficially very Kantian one doesn't need to make universalizability and morality equivalent as he does. One only needs to make the connection one way and appropriately strong (imho necessary). One also doesn't need to adopt the rest of Kant's views. And one doesn't need, following Kant, to define morality as this equivalence from the get-go then simply pound one's fist and say it's so largely without argument, because one can actully look around and see that this is how moral language is actually used and can look at the explanatory power of maintaining that there is this connection between fitness and morality (ex. the success of evolutionary approaches to anthropology).

I'm a realist because it seems extraordinarily obvious to me ... I mean just really, overwhelmingly clear ... that what goes into determining whether or not an action is appropriately generalizable or fit involves, at least in many cases, a whole lot more than just our opinions.

So, to repeat my initial question after all of that: Am I just missing something obvious when I fail to see why internalism is a predominantly expressivist/subjectivist/antirealist/anticognitivist position? Isn't it a position that realists should be reclaiming for their own? Are there any out there who are doing this? Am I just missing them? Is there some good reason that I've somehow overlooked that they're just not there? Is there something I'm failing to understand? Have I mischaracterized my own view so that I should call it something else? If so, show me where. Also, I know that there are at least a couple contemporary proponents of intellectualism in some form or another (neo-Neoplatonists) but I've forgotten who they are, so can anyone point me to them?

One last comment as it comes to me: One might object to what I've written above that there could be someone who says "I care about being fit but I don't care about being moral.". This would be simultaneously an amoralist and Moorean open-question argument. But my point is that I just don't see why I should ever take such a person's statement at face value. I think I have volumes of good evidence (observational linguistics, religious practice, and general anthropology for starters, then moving on to functional magnetic resonance imaging and much more) precisely to the fact that I should NOT take such a claim at face value. I think that the plausibility of their even saying such a thing depends largely on contextual differences and shades of meaning between "fit" and "moral" and that the mere existence of such differences, while perhaps enough to sow confusion in some, is hardly enough to make for a good argument that there's not a strong or even necessary link between the two.

One of the schools of ethical thought I most admire is Cornell Realism but, unfortunately, they're externalists. I don't see why one should have to be an externalist.

I hope I've amused someone and hope that someone can help dispel my consternation.

Fido

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 08:31 pm
@JP2U,
You have done what few have done; convinced me of my ignorance... I could guess at moral realism, but I cannot imagine internalism... Are these real terms or computer generated???

You do know that talking about talk is the second intention, which means that talk to communicate must be the first intention...Clearly moral reality, which is the same as saying spiritual reality presents us with the greatest of problems... What can we do except going straight at it???...If we use our words to talk about doing something with it we have missed an opportunity to act...

JP2U

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 10:02 pm
@Fido,
Fido;118391 wrote:
You have done what few have done; convinced me of my ignorance... I could guess at moral realism, but I cannot imagine internalism... Are these real terms or computer generated?

"internalism" refers to a bundle of related positions in both of epistemology and (meta)ethics. In (meta)ethics it refers typically to any of two or three related positions and, if not otherwise qualified, it tends to refer predominantly to motivational internalism.

Motivational internalism is the view that when one issues a sincere moral statement or belief report, "X is wrong." or "Y is right.", one must also or thereby actually be motivated to act in ways that are consistent with that report such as by, in each of the wrong and right cases, either avoiding X or pursuing Y. So, for example, if I sincerely say "Murder is wrong." I will, at least ceteris paribus, avoid murder.

Very strong motivational internalism says that the motivation that one has in making a sincere moral belief report is an overriding motivation: that it dominates and overrules all other nonmoral motivations one might has. I am a strong motivational internalist. So, for example, you will never hear me say something like "Well it's the right thing to do but I nevertheless won't do it because I'll lose money.". Or, to be more precise, I might sometimes say this but only because I'd be equivocating on "right".

Weak motivational internalism says that the motivation that one has in making a sincere moral belief report at least sometimes competes with and can be overruled by other nonmoral considerations.

Motivational externalism says that one can make a sincere moral belief report without having even the slightest inclination whatsoever to actually engage in the expected behaviors: That is, I can sincerely and reflectively say "Murder is wrong." while being entirely bloodthirsty and without having even the slightest disposition at all to avoid murder.

Although in my OP I was specifically concerned with motivational internalism there are other forms of internalism too such as reasons internalism and normative internalism.

Reasons internalism says that when a moral fact is so-and-so, for example the fact expressed by "X is right/wrong.", then one has a reason to do or avoid X only if one appreciates the fact.

Reasons externalism says that one at least sometimes has a reason to do/avoid X merely in virtue of the fact's obtaining whether or not one appreciates the fact. I have no very strong stance on this issue because I think that linguistic practice doesn't really legislate which of the two positions we should adopt. Although I lean somewhat in favor of reasons externalism I'm willing to look at it either way. I think a good argument can be put up for reasons externalism but, again, it's not primarily what I'm interested in in my OP ... there I'm interested in the motivation question and coming down on the internalist's side.

As for normative internalism I'm not going to discuss it because I've already said enough, because I'm not concerned with it right now, and because I'm not sure that normative externalism is even a coherent view.

I just now looked to see if there was a wiki on this and it turns out there is. It looks like a very good one too.

Internalism and externalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition to that you can, of course, find things on it at SEOP, IEP, and other places.

Fido

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:47 pm
@JP2U,
Yep;... All talk about talk...You can play with it, but when I need it for serious business all the pieces better be there...

JP2U

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:27 am
@Fido,
Fido;118427 wrote:
Yep;... All talk about talk...You can play with it, but when I need it for serious business all the pieces better be there...

You don't think that the question of whether or not having a moral belief entails being motivated to act on that belief is a legitimate and even important philosophical question?

You don't think that the question of whether or not having a moral belief entails having a reason to act on that belief is a legitimate and even important philosophial question?

If you don't think those things are legitimate and even important philosophical questions then I wonder what kind of understanding of the subject you have and also what kind of representative of this board you are.

Intead of dismissing the whole matter like you've done, I'd personally like people to either make a contribution to the thread by taking a position on the matter and stating their views, since internalism and externalism are jointly exhaustive of the possibilities, or else stay off the thread entirely.

urangutan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:31 am
@JP2U,
Sorry. JP2U, intoxication got the better of me. Internalism, is not internationalism.

Fido

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 07:44 am
@JP2U,
JP2U;118449 wrote:
You don't think that the question of whether or not having a moral belief entails being motivated to act on that belief is a legitimate and even important philosophical question?

You don't think that the question of whether or not having a moral belief entails having a reason to act on that belief is a legitimate and even important philosophial question?

If you don't think those things are legitimate and even important philosophical questions then I wonder what kind of understanding of the subject you have and also what kind of representative of this board you are.

Intead of dismissing the whole matter like you've done, I'd personally like people to either make a contribution to the thread by taking a position on the matter and stating their views, since internalism and externalism are jointly exhaustive of the possibilities, or else stay off the thread entirely.

I don't think moral beliefs play any part in what people do when morals are demanded...The question is and always has been: Who are you??? Ethics as a word does not point to belief, but to custom, and for my point: Character...

People have always talked about morals so they can teach them as the subject of reason...There is nothing reasonable about them, and people use reason to avoid morality rather than to be moral...Your thread may go back to Socrates, but Socrates was wrong...In any moral situation, where moral action is demanded, the only question needng answer is what is the content of ones character... Now you can have your thread...

JP2U

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:20 am
@Fido,
Fido;118466 wrote:
I don't think moral beliefs play any part in what people do when morals are demanded...

If something suitably like the belief-desire model of action is correct and motiational internalism is also correct then having moral beliefs most certainly does play a part in what people do "when morals are demanded". So you're either questioning the BD model of action or else you're questioning motivational internalism and I don't know which.

Quote:
The question is and always has been: Who are you??? Ethics as a word does not point to belief, but to custom, and for my point: Character...

You're talking about virtue theory and that's another, albeit related, issue. If you're a virtue theorist, as you're claiming to be here, it seems more likely than not that you're an internalist if for no other reason than that most have been. Regardless, virtue theory and a more conventional approach to ethics aren't incompatible: they're just different ways of approaching the same subject matter which is moral action. Virtue theory views moral action in terms of dispositions to act or related (classes of) potential acions whereas conventional approaches view it in terms of the actions or classes of action directly.

Quote:
People have always talked about morals so they can teach them as the subject of reason...There is nothing reasonable about them,

So you think that every moral person and every moral activity is irrational or extrarational: rationality is irrelevant to the matter.

But since morality is just about how people choose and pursue their basic values and since the choosing and the pursuing can apparently, at least in some cases, involve more or less rational decision-making, I fail to see how you could possibly justify your claim. Choosing to jump off a cliff is arguably intrinsically less rational than choosing not to. And choosing to run away from the cliff if you want to jump off of it (or choosing to jump off of it if you want to run away from it) is definitely less rational than its opposite.

But if you want to debate this further then you're welcome to do so by pm or in another thread please, not here since it's off topic.

Quote:
and people use reason to avoid morality rather than to be moral...

They're doing (bad) moral reasoning when they do that.

Quote:
Your thread may go back to Socrates, but Socrates was wrong...In any moral situation, where moral action is demanded, the only question needng answer is what is the content of ones character

Tell me again where it was that Plato/Socrates said that answering that (sort of) question satisfactorily would be insufficient to determining the answers to the other questions?

Jebediah

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:31 pm
@JP2U,
Internalism doesn't seem very intuitive, though I'm not sure how exactly it's defined. There are many people who profess sincere beliefs but don't follow them. We have moral beliefs which can conflict with moral instincts, and moral beliefs which can conflict with our desires. So one can have a moral belief, and be motivated to do otherwise. Or are you just saying that having a moral belief comes with some amount of motivation attached? I'm not sure what the significance of saying that would be.

I like your argument for moral realism though. And it would seem that moral instincts are internalist by definition.

Fido

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:36 pm
@JP2U,
Quote:
JP2U;118469 wrote:
If something suitably like the belief-desire model of action is correct and motiational internalism is also correct then having moral beliefs most certainly does play a part in what people do "when morals are demanded". So you're either questioning the BD model of action or else you're questioning motivational internalism and I don't know which.
Morals and ethics, the same thing, are themselves abstraction upon which you, or some one is building another model...What are you building on to begin with???? Can you Define morals and moral behavior so you can model them??? I am on firm ground asking what people do who are moral, and how have morals always been expressed socially... I understand you want to rationalize the process so you can manipulate as sytem... Give it up...

Quote:

You're talking about virtue theory and that's another, albeit related, issue. If you're a virtue theorist, as you're claiming to be here, it seems more likely than not that you're an internalist if for no other reason than that most have been. Regardless, virtue theory and a more conventional approach to ethics aren't incompatible: they're just different ways of approaching the same subject matter which is moral action. Virtue theory views moral action in terms of dispositions to act or related (classes of) potential acions whereas conventional approaches view it in terms of the actions or classes of action directly.

I am not talking about virtue theory...If I say virtue I am talking of a quality only having a theoretical existence... But out of curiosity; what is the relationship between morals and virtue in your book that each needs its own theory???

Quote:
So you think that every moral person and every moral activity is irrational or extrarational: rationality is irrelevant to the matter.

I am not saying some rational can be found for morality or virtue for that matter... Each are a part of culture and culture is knowledge, and society, as the living success of culture tries to hand off its knowledge to individuals when it asks them to behave in ways proven to be moral and virtuous out of its greater knowledge..But this request is often in vain because if the whole society has lost its morals and virtue, then no individual given a choice will behave any other way than they wish...The Ethics of a person always reflect back on ones community, and that is the meaning of the word, of custom, or character...No community means no morality, and community does not mean universal community either... What the Jews do to the Arabs, even when it seems inhuman, is, given the sense of the community, Justified, and moral...

Quote:

But since morality is just about how people choose and pursue their basic values and since the choosing and the pursuing can apparently, at least in some cases, involve more or less rational decision-making, I fail to see how you could possibly justify your claim. Choosing to jump off a cliff is arguably intrinsically less rational than choosing not to. And choosing to run away from the cliff if you want to jump off of it (or choosing to jump off of it if you want to run away from it) is definitely less rational than its opposite.

Not true...Morality is not a choice any more than personality is...When a moral question comes up, it is never in relation to other events, and the answer is not what Jesus would do, or joe blow down the street...Reason does not enter into, or comparison as reason usually is, but only: What do I do being me... People know if they have the hero in them, and some people always know weree the exit is, according to who they are... A thief may steal a nickle or a million bucks, but only because of what he is, and not the prize...If philosophy has any part to play in ethics for the individual it is this: The examined life...If you have any doubt, then look long into the mirror of introspection asking: Who AM I...
Quote:

But if you want to debate this further then you're welcome to do so by pm or in another thread please, not here since it's off topic.

They're doing (bad) moral reasoning when they do that.

Tell me again where it was that Plato/Socrates said that answering that (sort of) question satisfactorily would be insufficient to determining the answers to the other questions?

The only thing pinned upon Socrates was in this regard, that: knowledge is virtue... Truly, people do wrong because they cannot see the consequences, out of ignorance, but that is the place of culture, to teach morals, which should result in the good society...Knowledge never once made a bad man good, but only made him more dangerous...In his environment the individual is part of a community with a culture, but the middle age philosophers cut the individual loose from his community, and so, from his culture, and they took all control of the community over its members...There was no more group responsibility, or group control, and no common obligation... And it is from the middle ages that we have suffered the individuals and individualism...Yes, when free, individual can be inventive and innovative, but they have lost the pespective their culture would give them, and the restraint...We do not have the ethics of a primitive, and hardly have ethics in any coherent sense... Yet; any one who knows what he is knows what he will do when the time arrives...It is automatic...People act as they are...

JP2U

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 07:00 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;118533 wrote:
Internalism doesn't seem very intuitive, though I'm not sure how exactly it's defined. There are many people who profess sincere beliefs but don't follow them.

This is a good point you raise but internalism is traditionally meant to require not that someone merely profess a sincere belief but that they actually have the sincere belief ... that's what was intended when I said "sincere". I did talk about "profess" for reasons that I won't explain right now but I included "sincere" to prevent this approach.

Quote:
We have moral beliefs which can conflict with moral instincts,

I'm not sure how this is relevant, although it might be. However I would include whatever propositions or cognitive inclinations our instincts might dispose us to under the heading of "belief".

When you talk about this moral belief vs. moral instinct thing I think you must have in mind thought experiments in moral psychology such as the issue of throwing a fat man onto a train track (instinctively morally repugnant) to save several children from being run over by the train (a plausible moral belief). My point is that the instinct that one should not throw the fat man on the train track is already tantamount to a moral belief. Whether that instinct/belief is right or not is another thing.

Quote:
and moral beliefs which can conflict with our desires.

We can have conflicting desires, yes, but? But if in saying this you're indicating that you think that our having moral beliefs entails that we have desires, which I think they do, then you've already conceded the point to internalism and you are an internalist yourself.

Quote:
So one can have a moral belief, and be motivated to do otherwise.

So you're saying here and in the last sentence that you are an internalist but that you're a weak internalist.

Quote:
Or are you just saying that having a moral belief comes with some amount of motivation attached?

Yes, that's what internalism is. That's all it takes to be a weak internalist. Some people deny that moral beliefs require ANY corresponding motivations/desires of ANY strength at all. Those are externalists.

Quote:
I'm not sure what the significance of saying that would be

When you think seriously about what the externalist is saying ... that we can sincerely and reflectively endorse the wrongness of murder (or child rape, or cannibalism, or whatever) but not thereby have even the slightest inclination or motivation to avoid it ... then that seems to be a pretty significant position to me.

Quote:
I like your argument for moral realism though.

Thank you. But I didn't actually give an argument for moral realism. What I did do is propose what I think to be a highly natural, plausible, deflationary, and suitably mind-independent object ("fitness" or "aptness") as one of the primary truth-determiners for moral statements. I am not by any means the first to have done this. Aristotle did it for one, and the Cornell realists have done something like it more recently.

Anyone is free to reject the adequacy of that or any other such objects to that purpose but I think if they do they should explain why they do and I'm not satisfied with many people's explanation.

I think that the road to ruin for moral realism began in the early 20th century with G.E. Moore's nonnaturalism which so badly confused the issue that we've only begun to recover in the last 20 years or so.

Quote:
And it would seem that moral instincts are internalist by definition.

I tend to agree which is why I'm baffled by what I consider to be the revisionary views of proponents of motivational externalism. I specifically have in mind the Cornell realists but there are others.

Jebediah

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 07:26 pm
@JP2U,
JP2U;118686 wrote:
This is a good point you raise but internalism is traditionally meant to require not that someone merely profess a sincere belief but that they actually have the sincere belief ... that's what was intended when I said "sincere". I did talk about "profess" for reasons that I won't explain right now but I included "sincere" to prevent this approach.

I think that people often profess sincere beliefs and then take actions that contradict them. I don't think the mind is quite unified. You can have a sincere belief on the conscious level and be strongly motivated to do otherwise. Do you sincerely believe that you should save someone's life if they are in danger? Yes, but if to save them you have to climb a little way down a cliff face and are afraid of heights, you will be strongly motivated to stay where you are.

Quote:
I'm not sure how this is relevant, although it might be. However I would include whatever propositions or cognitive inclinations our instincts might dispose us to under the heading of "belief".

When you talk about this moral belief vs. moral instinct thing I think you must have in mind thought experiments in moral psychology such as the issue of throwing a fat man onto a train track (instinctively morally repugnant) to save several children from being run over by the train (a plausible moral belief). My point is that the instinct that one should not throw the fat man on the train track is already tantamount to a moral belief. Whether that instinct/belief is right or not is another thing.
Yes, I was thinking that people might sincerely believe that it better to save 5 lives over one, but be repulsed by their instincts.

I'm just saying that the conscious and unconscious conflict.

Quote:

So you're saying here and in the last sentence that you are an internalist but that you're a weak internalist.

Yes, that's what internalism is. That's all it takes to be a weak internalist. Some people deny that moral beliefs require ANY corresponding motivations/desires of ANY strength at all. Those are externalists.
I see, the externalist position is that there must be some feature in the outside world to provide the motivation? I would think neuroscience could disprove this?

Quote:
When you think seriously about what the externalist is saying ... that we can sincerely and reflectively endorse the wrongness of murder (or child rape, or cannibalism, or whatever) but not thereby have even the slightest inclination or motivation to avoid it ... then that seems to be a pretty significant position to me.
Perhaps externalism is true for sociopaths.

I don't have an answer for your original question however, because I couldn't say why certain positions go together or even if they do.

I would think internalism would be strongly linked with realism. If we all share a set of moral instincts that motivate, then that would be a level of realism.

JP2U

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:56 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;118696 wrote:

I see, the externalist position is that there must be some feature in the outside world to provide the motivation?

That's exactly right and exactly how it gets its name (and exactly what connects it with the roughly parallel position in epistemology/theory of justification).

Quote:
I would think neuroscience could disprove this?

How?

Quote:
Perhaps externalism is true for sociopaths.

Perhaps. Those sorts of examples are exactly the sorts that externalists give to try to show that there's no necessary connection between moral belief and motivation. Except they're called "amoralists". Whether or not sociopaths are true philosophical amoralists is an interesting issue. I dont believe that there are any amoralists, but it is obvious to me that there are sociopaths, so I obviously don't believe that they're one and the same thing.

My own position is that the true amoralist is systematically incapable of understanding any moral facts at all ... and I don't think there are such people. The sociopath on the other hand is merely handicapped in their capacity to understand such facts. You could use a metaphor of color blindness except that appreciating colors requires a specific perceptual faculty whereas appreciating moral facts does not ... there is no single cognitive or perceptual faculty that completely incapacitates one from appreciating moral facts, although there are cognitive modules (subsystems or our brain) that makes it much easier to appreciate them, just as there are distinctively mathematical modules or language modules in the brain.

Quote:
I would think internalism would be strongly linked with realism.

Yes, but you'd be wrong, the opposite is true. My OP is all about why this is so. I have my own view on the matter but it requires that most professional philosophers doing (meta)ethics are ... well ... 'tards.

Quote:
If we all share a set of moral instincts that motivate, then that would be a level of realism.

It's precisely the diversity of our moral opinions/instincts (rather than those we share) that's used as one argument against realism.

Jebediah

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 08:43 pm
@JP2U,
JP2U;118766 wrote:

How?

It's precisely the diversity of our moral opinions/instincts (rather than those we share) that's used as one argument against realism.

I believe they done studies showing a broad consensus on moral instincts. I think diversity is an argument against moral universals, but is that an argument against realism? I see morality as a way of binding together a society, as a functional thing, like how we have a government to serve a function. Arguing that it isn't real is like arguing that government isn't real.

Quote:
My own position is that the true amoralist is systematically incapable of understanding any moral facts at all ... and I don't think there are such people. The sociopath on the other hand is merely handicapped in their capacity to understand such facts. You could use a metaphor of color blindness except that appreciating colors requires a specific perceptual faculty whereas appreciating moral facts does not ... there is no single cognitive or perceptual faculty that completely incapacitates one from appreciating moral facts, although there are cognitive modules (subsystems or our brain) that makes it much easier to appreciate them, just as there are distinctively mathematical modules or language modules in the brain.
I think they've shown that sociopaths understand moral facts very well, they just don't care. I guess you could use the metaphor of taste, they can tell which foods are tastier than others but nothing actually tastes good or bad to them.

Quote:
Yes, but you'd be wrong, the opposite is true. My OP is all about why this is so. I have my own view on the matter but it requires that most professional philosophers doing (meta)ethics are ... well ... 'tards.
Perhaps they have studied too much philosophy and not enough psychology. Or started with a slightly different definition of morality for some reason.

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:49 pm
@JP2U,
JP2U;118075 wrote:
Some of you might find this to be a very dense post so if you have any questions please feel free to ask them. I'm starting a new thread because the few other threads on moral realism don't seem to touch on my particular interest which is as follows:

I'm interested in hearing any thoughts about how one might go about reconciling moral realism with internalism. Personally I see no problem with doing this and thus wonder why it is that internalism is the near-exclusive domain of nonrealists of various stripes. I think that it's a misuse of moral-belief language to strip it of motivational-expressive content but that cognitivism and realism are nevertheless both true because we can, in fact, be right or wrong in our moral beliefs and that there are facts of the matter which are at least often not wholly dependent on our opinions: that is to say, not wholly dependent on our merely reporting such-and-such a belief. This seems unproblematic to me. Am I just missing something?

I'm a socratic intellecutalist, don't believe in true akrasia, don't believe in true amoralists, don't view the customary externalist or antirealist arguments involving them as being very persuasive at all, and think that these phenomena can be explained very simply within a realist-internalist framework.

I think that we can induce from our observations of how people actually use moral-belief language that it has a motivation-expressing component and that to strip it of that is not to speak the language at all. The fact that it has this component in no way requires that there not be associated moral facts which are at least partially independent of the expressed motivations themselves. The situation in which our opinions matter but there are other binding facts not dependent on our opinions would be akin to a game which has both a coordination and a noncoordination component.

The other binding facts (the noncoordination components) would include, for just one prime example, whether or not the course of action being held up as moral is appropriately universalizable or is, on the other hand, self-defeating (or, more weakly, self-stultifying). A moral claim can be correct only if the action it recommends isn't defeated in appropriately general practice and, correspondingly, if acting on the purpose which one sincerely expressing it has doesn't lead to ones purpose being defeated. This is nothing more than a demand that moral motivations be subject to a performative consistency constraint or be "minimally fit" to use an evolutionary term.

It is because they're subject to such a constraint that we can expect moral motivations to at least often be rational ones, and this is also at least partly why so many make the connection between rationality and morality so tight. This constraint can also help explain why societies in general are concerned with morality and why diverse societies so often agree on so many points of morality. This consistency constraint can even help explain why moral language has its motivational component: because apathy isn't appropriately generalizable and gets defeated as such.

While the talk about a generalizability/consistency constraint sounds superficially very Kantian one doesn't need to make universalizability and morality equivalent as he does. One only needs to make the connection one way and appropriately strong (imho necessary). One also doesn't need to adopt the rest of Kant's views. And one doesn't need, following Kant, to define morality as this equivalence from the get-go then simply pound one's fist and say it's so largely without argument, because one can actully look around and see that this is how moral language is actually used and can look at the explanatory power of maintaining that there is this connection between fitness and morality (ex. the success of evolutionary approaches to anthropology).

I'm a realist because it seems extraordinarily obvious to me ... I mean just really, overwhelmingly clear ... that what goes into determining whether or not an action is appropriately generalizable or fit involves, at least in many cases, a whole lot more than just our opinions.

So, to repeat my initial question after all of that: Am I just missing something obvious when I fail to see why internalism is a predominantly expressivist/subjectivist/antirealist/anticognitivist position? Isn't it a position that realists should be reclaiming for their own? Are there any out there who are doing this? Am I just missing them? Is there some good reason that I've somehow overlooked that they're just not there? Is there something I'm failing to understand? Have I mischaracterized my own view so that I should call it something else? If so, show me where. Also, I know that there are at least a couple contemporary proponents of intellectualism in some form or another (neo-Neoplatonists) but I've forgotten who they are, so can anyone point me to them?

One last comment as it comes to me: One might object to what I've written above that there could be someone who says "I care about being fit but I don't care about being moral.". This would be simultaneously an amoralist and Moorean open-question argument. But my point is that I just don't see why I should ever take such a person's statement at face value. I think I have volumes of good evidence (observational linguistics, religious practice, and general anthropology for starters, then moving on to functional magnetic resonance imaging and much more) precisely to the fact that I should NOT take such a claim at face value. I think that the plausibility of their even saying such a thing depends largely on contextual differences and shades of meaning between "fit" and "moral" and that the mere existence of such differences, while perhaps enough to sow confusion in some, is hardly enough to make for a good argument that there's not a strong or even necessary link between the two.

One of the schools of ethical thought I most admire is Cornell Realism but, unfortunately, they're externalists. I don't see why one should have to be an externalist.

I hope I've amused someone and hope that someone can help dispel my consternation.

Either I do not understand your question, or I think it is obvious why most moral realists would not be internalists. Moral realists are often apt to suppose that morality is an objective fact external to people, and consequently there need not correspond inside a person any motivation to do something in accordance with that external standard of right and wrong. Indeed, if there were always some internal motivation corresponding to the external fact, why would that be the case? What could possibly be the cause of this invariable correspondence between what is internal to someone with the external fact?

If the reality of a moral truth is independent of a person's opinions and feelings, why would there be a constant conjunction between morality and one's motivations? If there were such a constant conjunction, wouldn't that tend to suggest that they really were connected after all, so that moral realism would simply be false?

JP2U

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:01 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;119529 wrote:
Either I do not understand your question, or I think it is obvious why most moral realists would not be internalists. Moral realists are often apt to suppose that morality is an objective fact external to people, and consequently there need not correspond inside a person any motivation to do something in accordance with that external standard of right and wrong. Indeed, if there were always some internal motivation corresponding to the external fact, why would that be the case? What could possibly be the cause of this invariable correspondence between what is internal to someone with the external fact?

If the reality of a moral truth is independent of a person's opinions and feelings, why would there be a constant conjunction between morality and one's motivations? If there were such a constant conjunction, wouldn't that tend to suggest that they really were connected after all, so that moral realism would simply be false?

It sounds like you understand the post question pretty well actually. But I'd like you to produce a rigorous, step-by-step argument connecting realism to externalism though for me because I'm convinced it would go wrong somewhere. I'd produce such an argument myself, playing my own devil's advocate, but I'd much rather see how yours might go.

I'd like to point out that the "objective" and "external" requirements of realism you mention are two totally distinct requirements and that the realist only needs to adopt the first: "objective" does not need at all need to be explicated in terms of "external to people" (or vice versa). There are objective facts about people after all: about what they actually value, or can reasonably be expected to value, or what they would value under certain minimally counterfactual scenarios (such as their having knowledge of various natural facts relevant to their decision). If these internal, intrapersonal, motivational facts are partly constitutive of the objective moral facts then this would explain the correspondence you look for.

Regarding your second paragraph: Moral facts are, to a realist, much like any other facts insofar as they are largely independent of false opinion or of any transient feeling or whim. This doesn't mean however that they're independent of deepseated or fundamental desires or basic values: quite the contrary they centrally involve such desires. In fact, when we put it this way, we could say that moral facts involve such desires in exactly the same way as nonmoral facts involve pervasive and indubitable beliefs and basic sensory inputs or minimal perceptible elements. The independence of moral facts from opinion also doesn't mean that they're independent of what is actually good for or promotes the wellbeing of the organism or of appropriate parts thereof (ex. it's overall pattern or information), since they centrally involve this too. This view is perfectly consistent with moral realism as I understand it.

I'm currently rereading an old article by David Copp which gives me a bit of confirmation that I'm not just looney when I think that realism and internalism can be made to fit naturally together, and I might link to or comment on it later.

And here's a good way of categorizing metaethical views.

20th WCP: A Taxonomy of Moral Realism

I answer "Yes." to all of them.

Pyrrho

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:45 pm
@JP2U,
JP2U;120195 wrote:
It sounds like you understand the post question pretty well actually. But I'd like you to produce a rigorous, step-by-step argument connecting realism to externalism though for me because I'm convinced it would go wrong somewhere. I'd produce such an argument myself, playing my own devil's advocate, but I'd much rather see how yours might go.

I'd like to point out that the "objective" and "external" requirements of realism you mention are two totally distinct requirements and that the realist only needs to adopt the first: "objective" does not need at all need to be explicated in terms of "external to people" (or vice versa). There are objective facts about people after all: about what they actually value, or can reasonably be expected to value, or what they would value under certain minimally counterfactual scenarios (such as their having knowledge of various natural facts relevant to their decision). If these internal, intrapersonal, motivational facts are partly constitutive of the objective moral facts then this would explain the correspondence you look for.

Regarding your second paragraph: Moral facts are, to a realist, much like any other facts insofar as they are largely independent of false opinion or of any transient feeling or whim. This doesn't mean however that they're independent of deepseated or fundamental desires or basic values: quite the contrary they centrally involve such desires. In fact, when we put it this way, we could say that moral facts involve such desires in exactly the same way as nonmoral facts involve pervasive and indubitable beliefs and basic sensory inputs or minimal perceptible elements. The independence of moral facts from opinion also doesn't mean that they're independent of what is actually good for or promotes the wellbeing of the organism or of appropriate parts thereof (ex. it's overall pattern or information), since they centrally involve this too. This view is perfectly consistent with moral realism as I understand it.

I'm currently rereading an old article by David Copp which gives me a bit of confirmation that I'm not just looney when I think that realism and internalism can be made to fit naturally together, and I might link to or comment on it later.

And here's a good way of categorizing metaethical views.

20th WCP: A Taxonomy of Moral Realism

I answer "Yes." to all of them.

A rigorous proof would require rigorous definitions of the terms involved. Whether "moral realism" is compatible with "internalism" is likely to hinge on the precise definitions we give to each expression. But, I think I have adequately explained why most moral realists are not internalists, which was the only question I set out to answer in my first post in this thread.

Your idea of moral realism is on the "light side". If we look at the definition of "robust" moral realism at Wikipedia:

Quote:
moral realism means that:
[INDENT]
  1. Moral statements are the sorts of statements which are (or which express propositions which are) true or false (or approximately true, largely false, etc.);
  2. The truth or falsity (approximate truth...) of moral statements is largely independent of our moral opinions, theories, etc.;
  3. Ordinary canons of moral reasoning-together with ordinary canons of scientific and everyday factual reasoning-constitute, under many circumstances at least, a reliable method for obtaining and improving (approximate) moral knowledge.
[/INDENT]

Moral realism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your version, as you say:

Quote:
Moral facts are, to a realist, much like any other facts insofar as they are largely independent of false opinion or of any transient feeling or whim. This doesn't mean however that they're independent of deepseated or fundamental desires or basic values: quite the contrary they centrally involve such desires. In fact, when we put it this way, we could say that moral facts involve such desires in exactly the same way as nonmoral facts involve pervasive and indubitable beliefs and basic sensory inputs or minimal perceptible elements.

What you are saying does not fit well with 2. Wikipedia uses the phrase "moral universalism" for something more along the lines of what you have in mind (see link at the page to which I link above).

You might find this thread interesting, as it deals with a theory of morality that might fit with what you have in mind:

http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/philosophers/early-modern-philosophers/david-hume/7096-hume-ought.html

And it might get us closer to being on the same page as far as other terminology goes. Or it might not.

Twirlip

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:05 pm
@JP2U,
Quote:
So, to repeat my initial question after all of that: Am I just missing something obvious when I fail to see why internalism is a predominantly expressivist/subjectivist/antirealist/anticognitivist position? Isn't it a position that realists should be reclaiming for their own? Are there any out there who are doing this? Am I just missing them? Is there some good reason that I've somehow overlooked that they're just not there? Is there something I'm failing to understand? Have I mischaracterized my own view so that I should call it something else?
I'm not familiar with ethical theory, but a few years back I did read some chapters of David McNaughton's book Moral Vision (1988), of which I see pages 46-50 are devoted to an account of internalist moral realism, which he describes as being made possible by a rejection of Hume's belief-desire theory of motivation.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Moral Realism and Internalism
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 10:43:24