Just War?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

stew phil

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 12:31 pm
@fast,
[QUOTE=fast;107070]
Some thing implies something, but something doesn't imply some thing.

[/QUOTE]

sophistry. maybe if we are talking about unicorns you would be correct, but we are talking about war here.

fast;107070 wrote:
The term, "war" refers to none other than war, and the term, "war" refers to the class of all wars (or what you're calling the set of all wars). A class is not a physical object.

The term, "Vietnam War" is a particular war, and like soccer (a particular sport), it is physical, but it's not what I would characterize as a physical object. I may accept that it's a physical entity though. I need to think about that some more.

Think of what a "class" is. It's a generalization of a particular. Though war is a "class" it is still just a generalization of particular examples of war. A class is not an independent abstraction of nothing (if that is even coherent).

Entity implies real existence. Are you denying war has real existence? Watch the news much?

If war doesn't have real existence, please explain to me why that is the case.

I guess the OP is irrelevant now.

fast

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 12:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;107081 wrote:
Guide to Logic, Sets I

(Classes and Sets are about the same thing)

Wittgenstein used the term, "family resemblance", but that had nothing to do with the logic of classes (sets).

Thanks Kennethamy.

Zetherin,

Do not let his use of the word, "about" go unnoticed.

---------- Post added 11-30-2009 at 01:57 PM ----------

[QUOTE=stew;107088]sophistry. maybe if we are talking about unicorns you would be correct, but we are talking about war here. [/quote]

The term, "unicorn" is a referring term, and the term, "war" is a referring term. They are both referring terms.

The term, "war" succeeds in referring, so there is a referent to the term, "war." The term, "unicorn" fails to refer, so there is not a referent to the term, "unicorn."

To say of something that it exists is to say of something that it has properties. War has properties, and a unicorn does not have properties, so war exists, and unicorns do not.

One may be able to argue that the term, "unicorn" refers to the class of all unicorns, but I wouldn't.

[QUOTE]Are you denying war has real existence? [/QUOTE]No. I am not denying that wars exist.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 05:39 pm
@RDanneskjld,
Pacifism is one of the silliest and most optimistic attitudes out there. Points for audacity.

Man is the supreme predator. Watch your back.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 08:39:35