Mother and Daughter Ethical Considerations

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Mother and Daughter Ethical Considerations

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

William

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 07:11 pm
I will be the first to proclaim my attraction to the opposite sex. I have no qualms about that whatsoever. I would like to share with you a personal observation I made yesterday at the market and will ask all male and female alike to offer their personal opinions, for I truly want them. It pertains to mother's living vicariously through their daughters as to it's assets and it's liabilities it might present.

At the local market yesterday, I notice a very pretty young girl, perhaps at the very most, 14, dressed most provocatively at least in my opinion considering her age. I will not go into detail but trust me, she was and strutted in like manner as if very proud of her newly arrive "womanhood" at least in her well displayed physical attributes, anyway.

With her was her mother and her boyfriend, a really good looking young man, as they were shopping together. We were at the checkout and there were long lines for it was payday for most and the market was full and I had time to devote to this observation. At every turn the daughter was, it seems, making a effort to insure others noticed her, all in view of her mother, who seemed totally disinterested in the spectacle, as if she might condone such behavior. I asked myself, Why? Her and her boyfriend made no effort to be discreet in their attraction to one another and were constantly touching one another in harmless ways. Remember the girl could not have been over 14, though I could be wrong.

The mother, and pardon me for my judgmental comment, was indeed no prize in the "attractive" department, not only in physical attributes but demeanor as well as I overheard her bark at her daughter to fetch an item she missed on her list. The daughter cheerfully replied and ran her errand. In the meantime the mother and the boyfriend were left alone and I noticed something I thought strange. The mother change right before my eyes from the barking mom to a most sparkling, smiling person as she began conversing with her daughter's boyfriend as it could be concluded she cared more for him that she did her daughter. Then it hit me. Damn, could this have anything to do with why so very many young girls are so very much more promiscuous because the mothers are living in a vicarious manner they never had at that age and never had such a good looking "catch"?

Now this could also relate to those fathers and the girlfriends of there really handsome sons. Same scenario.

Now in summary is it possible that parents, inadvertently, are ignoring the repercussions of what could occur in their desire to fabricate a life they did not have, at the expense of their own children?

Please tell me I am wrong in my assumption for I have been trying to justify the scenario and am having a hard time in doing so. This thought hit me like a ton of bricks as my first inclination was why would a mother let her daughter dress as she was, let alone act as she did.

Help?

William

Labyrinth

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 04:51 am
@William,
While I wrestle with the question you've presented, I'll dare to offer one possibility that might not be at first considered. It may be that the mother was once attractive as her daughter is now, and seeing her daughter blossoming, so to speak, painfully highlights and reminds the mother of her passing (or long gone) youthfulness and attractivity(real word?). The actions you described may be her fight against accepting this...maybe. You obviously had a better vantage point as you have seen her in person. Vicarious living is a best available option for many people to relive the days of youth. I'm not surprised at all by the incident you've described. Freud's Totem and Taboo describes tribal prohibitions of contact between mother-in-law and son-in-law to prevent this impulse from being realized in actual sexual relations. As disturbing as it might be to some, something is definitely there.

Edit: I'm puzzled at why someone would rate your thread a 1-star for seemingly no other reason that there is some social stigma against calling a not-yet-18-year-old girl sexually attractive (my guess at least). :thats-enough:

William

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 12:28 pm
@William,
Labyrinth;90103 wrote:
While I wrestle with the question you've presented, I'll dare to offer one possibility that might not be at first considered. It may be that the mother was once attractive as her daughter is now, and seeing her daughter blossoming, so to speak, painfully highlights and reminds the mother of her passing (or long gone) youthfulness and attractivity (real word?).

I can see your point, but this did not seem the case here as the mother "barked" at the daughter indicating a jealously perhaps. What you are saying I think is normal when there is no father/husband in the picture. That would make all the sense and would cause that melancholy you describe. Though it would seem a little inappropriate still if their were a loving father/husband somewhere in the picture. Don't you think?

Put more emphasis on the word "provocative" and the daughters effort to attract attention or "flaunting" in full view of her mother. In my personal opinion the daughter knew no better as it was the obscenity of the mother for allowing it. There are those occasions in which intolerance is allowed and this should have been one of those in which a mother would have never allowed such a display to exist in the first place.

Labyrinth;90103 wrote:
Freud's Totem and Taboo describes tribal prohibitions of contact between mother-in-law and son-in-law to prevent this impulse from being realized in actual sexual relations. As disturbing as it might be to some, something is definitely there.

Agreed. My mind has been rift with countless scenarios and all seem to indicate one missing link-a father/husband or an estranged relationship with, at best. Overall it indicates a lack on the part of the mother that has not been fulfilled regarding the male in her life and she is "using" her daughter to "fill that gap" using her as bait. Now this is all unintentional and unconscious I would like to think, for if there were intent, it would be a crime! The sad part is, it goes UN-NOTICED.

Labyrinth;90103 wrote:
Edit: I'm puzzled at why someone would rate your thread a 1-star for seemingly no other reason that there is some social stigma against calling a not-yet-18-year-old girl sexually attractive (my guess at least).

You could be right, but I would not like to think so. I think it is because there are many here who have not experience what it is to be a parent and are still viewing the world from a 'child's' viewpoint. I don't mean that in a condescending way, by no means. I think many are truly victims of this lack of one or both parents in their own upbringing. I think it is a much more serious problem that we think and why it goes un-noticed. IMO, it is much, much more important to be a guiding parent to the child, than being a patronizing friend as so many mothers are guilty of in regards to their daughters. In the case of what I witnessed the mother was a jealous adversary. Anyone who does associate a stigma such as what you mentioned, has never been a caring and loving parent and has no idea of what it means, IMO.

William

Labyrinth

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 04:29 pm
@William,
William;90155 wrote:
I can see your point, but this did not seem the case here as the mother "barked" at the daughter indicating a jealously perhaps. What you are saying I think is normal when there is no father/husband in the picture. That would make all the sense and would cause that melancholy you describe. Though it would seem a little inappropriate still if their were a loving father/husband somewhere in the picture. Don't you think?

Put more emphasis on the word "provocative" and the daughters effort to attract attention or "flaunting" in full view of her mother. In my personal opinion the daughter knew no better as it was the obscenity of the mother for allowing it. There are those occasions in which intolerance is allowed and this should have been one of those in which a mother would have never allowed such a display to exist in the first place.

Sadly, I come from a culture where husbands are rather calloused to their wives. I'm hoping our generation will do much better in this area. The incident you've described is nothing compared to what I've seen and heard. An inadequately loving husband could be the factor here, but even with a loving one, I think it's normal for women to be jealous of another's present (younger) stage in life.

Men do it, too. Some fathers watch their sons playing high school football so emotionally, one would suspect they've convinced themselves they're watching themselves on the field. Maybe you've seen this a lot as I see you are from Texas Smile. If we can't find the actual fountain of youth, we can try to make one ourselves indirectly, can't we? I'm sure I'll have a bone-headed moment of this nature later when an older, fatter, balder version of myself horribly fails an attempt to ride a bicycle or something.

Are we looking at wishes that cannot be fulfilled by our spouse no matter how great he/she is? To be young again...to have another chance to make that tackle...no one can really give these to us. Nothing stops people from desiring them however.

Now for the provocative 14-year-old girl...well, I can't comment with confidence. My daughter's only a baby (literally, not merely an affectionate term). Some might say a girl that age is actually acting normally. Our industrialized society has pushed back the matrimonial age which in the past much more coincided with the beginnings of sexual attraction. From a societal standpoint, its not time for her to act like that. However, the subject may judge much differently according to what she feels in her own body. That's a hell of a conundrum for me. The fashion industry also throws in a monkey wrench by making preteen and teen girls' clothes the way they are. As for the parent putting her foot down, that's also tough. Who's to say she's earned enough respect from her daughter to be able to prohibit her firmly enough? I'm sure there's a possibility of the mother wanting to tell her not to dress that way while being unable to assert her authority.

Referring back to your original post, its hard to make ethical or moral guidelines. If the mother is acting unknowingly due to a void in her life, who is to blame? Of course its easy to see how she could've acted differently, but do we blame an unloving husband? Should we blame anyone? Maybe, all we can try to tell others is to seek one's own needed love from its proper source. (But what do we tell them if the well is dry?)

William;90155 wrote:
You could be right, but I would not like to think so. I think it is because there are many here who have not experience what it is to be a parent and are still viewing the world from a 'child's' viewpoint. I don't mean that in a condescending way, by no means. I think many are truly victims of this lack of one or both parents in their own upbringing. I think it is a much more serious problem that we think and why it goes un-noticed. IMO, it is much, much more important to be a guiding parent to the child, than being a patronizing friend as so many mothers are guilty of in regards to their daughters. In the case of what I witnessed the mother was a jealous adversary. Anyone who does associate a stigma such as what you mentioned, has never been a caring and loving parent and has no idea of what it means, IMO.

Putting my "deep-seated unfulfilled wish" approach aside, your straightforward points on parenting are spot on. A parent is not merely a friend, but taking the authoritative approach solely will give you a fiercely rebellious child (or a totally broken and exasperated one). A tricky thing can happen when a parent tries a "buddy" approach to gain more access to his/her child while sacrificing some authoritative standing. Taking this too far may leave a parent unable to be assertive when necessary (like your supermarket mom maybe). I know I'm very much talking out the other end as I've been a parent for a whopping 7 months. Most of this is only from the problematic source of mere observation. I'm sure there's a nice shiny can of worms awaiting me at every step of the way on my own walk through this life stage. :Glasses:

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:48 pm
@William,
William;90060 wrote:

Now in summary is it possible that parents, inadvertently, are ignoring the repercussions of what could occur in their desire to fabricate a life they did not have, at the expense of their own children?
Help? William

Hi William

A very good question. The experience you had is somewhat similar to the experiences I had here in a relatively conservative society. So i can relate to this situation. Parents, in the general sense are supposed to be caring, devoted, trustworthy people with whom the children will be most comfortable with.

Although this high expectation is the view of a moralistic society with a high value placed on it, but it more so, is a desire of the children than anyone else, though this desire is natural and the children themslevs may not be aware of such an desire/expectation in their subconscious level.

Now as far as i can gauge, the situation is not abnormal. The behaviour and mannerisms of individuals are dependent on their lifestyle, class, education, moral lessons, religious or ethical subservience etc in a nutshell - teachings and living styles.

As i try and visualise the picture you created, i see an interplay of all that human attributes that make up a character. Attributes like jealousy, self-advertisments, self-interest, ego, sexual impulses, etc. However, i would not conclude that the mother is ignoring any 'repercussions' on her child as a result of her actions. I see the opposite of what you inferred out of the situation.

It would not be wrong to say, that the mother may want the boyfriend to be around her girl for whatever reasons, and want to keep up that relationship. The motive of self-interest and self preservation is very much in play.

But if the above is ruled out, and instead, if the case is, as you described and inferred, than it would be very interesting pyschological study.

In which case, it would be very risky to evaluate the behaviour as the observation, i suppose was for a brief period of time - say a max of one hour. ???

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 05:10 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
The young girl just wants her distracted mother's attention.

Hence the dress, hence the cheerful response at the barking of orders. And you said yourself the mother was fairly unaware of her daughter, being far to busy with the boyfriend.

This is not living vicariously, this is just parental neglect on one level or another.

William

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 06:07 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;90234 wrote:

Hi William

A very good question. The experience you had is somewhat similar to the experiences I had here in a relatively conservative society.

Hello Jack and thanks for your comment, but would you please explain what it is to you that makes you think this observation has anything to do with "conservative"? Does that mean liberals are "immoral" and would never notice such an occurrence, as conservatives are just nosy, righteous bible toters observing their children and are doing nothing but butting into their lives? It seems now anytime family and parenting is discussed the conservative becomes the enemy? It has nothing to do with being conservative or liberal, it has everything to do with caring for the child. I know this comment was innocent, but it does happen quite a lot especially when those subjects arise that even hint at a moral conduct or ethic. (Oh and by the way Mods, I meant to put this under ethics, not aesthetics. Sorry! Thanks for changing it.)

So I can relate to this situation. Parents, in the general sense are supposed to be caring, devoted, trustworthy people with whom the children will be most comfortable with.

Now I totally agree with you. Please tell me as you use the word suppose, what are those circumstances, IYO, that would indicate a scenario in which they would suppose "not to" be caring, devoted, trustworthy that would make their children "uncomfortable"? My answer is they are not in their childrens lives enough to know what they are up to as they can only suppose what they are doing in their absence and what the child tells them. There has never been such a gaff between parent and child as there is in this world today. Most parents honestly don't have a clue as to what their children are being exposed to, what they are being taught in school, who their friends are and what they are involved in until it is often too late to do anything about it. Well there is one thing, but I won't bring that up.

Although this high expectation is the view of a moralistic society with a high value placed on it, but it more so, is a desire of the children than anyone else, though this desire is natural and the children themslevs may not be aware of such an desire/expectation in their subconscious level.

Thank you, Jack. It is exactly that, IMO. It is a desire of the child to achieve a balance in their life for something they so very much lack and have never been exposed to: LOVE, and they are seeking attention anyway they can, even if it will do them harm. There is no moral to this story for no one knows what that word "moral" truly means. It is caring for someone far more than you care for yourself. Yes, we say we love our children, true enough; but we aren't their enough to give the proper attention that need so they seek it themselves. It's a balancing act of which I just issued a post concerning this very thing in a thread about obesity. If a child had the loving nurturing they need, there would be no need to advertise the fact and that would lead to a well balanced human being with a good sense of self regardless of how they looked. In many cases she is looking for the love of a man she has never had, both the mother and the daughter; and that is what this mother and daughter have in common. I know that is an assumption, for I do not know that to be that in this particular case, but it does make sense to me in my estimation.

Now as far as i can gauge, the situation is not abnormal. The behaviour and mannerisms of individuals are dependent on their lifestyle, class, education, moral lessons, religious or ethical subservience etc in a nutshell - teachings and living styles.

Yes, it is abnormal, if more had observed it as I did. But most are too involved with themselves to notice what is happening in the lives of others to notice anything. As you walk in a crowd just try and draw the eye of another, you can't do it, unless you make an effort to or create a spectacle of yourself, something our children often do, good or bad, just to get attention from those who say they love them the most. And we wonder why they get into the trouble they do trying to find that love so missing in their life?

As i try and visualize the picture you created, i see an interplay of all that human attributes that make up a character. Attributes like jealousy, self-advertisments, self-interest, ego, sexual impulses, etc. However, i would not conclude that the mother is ignoring any 'repercussions' on her child as a result of her actions. I see the opposite of what you inferred out of the situation.

Of course she was ignoring those repercussions, IMO, as she wasn't thinking about her child, she was thinking about herself and what she had missed in her life as she was self consciously filling that gap. That's exactly my point and why I thought it important enough to bring it up for discussion.

It would not be wrong to say, that the mother may want the boyfriend to be around her girl for whatever reasons, and want to keep up that relationship. The motive of self-interest and self preservation is very much in play.

That would be true except for the provocativeness and the obvious attempt to be notice even with a boyfriend in the midst. There should be no need for such in this case, unless it was the mother who allowed it using what her daughter had she didn't have. Now that makes sense and why this was happening. Had there been a loving father in the background, I promise you she would have never left the house; of course there is, she wouldn't want to for she had the love she needed and didn't need to advertise in search to fill that gap, also, provided that love between the mother and the father are "intact".

But if the above is ruled out, and instead, if the case is, as you described and inferred, than it would be very interesting pyschological study.
In which case, it would be very risky to evaluate the behaviour as the observation, i suppose was for a brief period of time - say a max of one hour. ???

Thank you Jack, you are right, it was a brief encounter. But that I noticed it and observed it so and as we have discussed it, I can recall countless times when I didn't offer it much scrutiny and your participation brought those times to the fore, not only in my life but those that are closes to me. It is tying up loose ends. Thanks again, I do appreciate your help and your input. Now that's for me as I cannot speak for others. :bigsmile:

William

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 11:29 pm
@William,
well williams thanks for explaining your point of view.
So you have ruled out the possibility i showed.
I gave you a possibility, because you had initially asked whether you could be wrong in your assumption. But it appears you are very confident of your perspective. So, let me take it at face value, as an exercise in social psychology. Lets leave out other matters and discuss this situation/scenario you described further.

William;90060 wrote:
The mother, and pardon me for my judgmental comment, was indeed no prize in the "attractive" department, not only in physical attributes but demeanor as well as I overheard her bark at her daughter to fetch an item she missed on her list. The daughter cheerfully replied and ran her errand. In the meantime the mother and the boyfriend were left alone and I noticed something I thought strange. The mother change right before my eyes from the barking mom to a most sparkling, smiling person as she began conversing with her daughter's boyfriend as it could be concluded she cared more for him that she did her daughter. Then it hit me. Damn, could this have anything to do with why so very many young girls are so very much more promiscuous because the mothers are living in a vicarious manner they never had at that age and never had such a good looking "catch"?

Can you point out what exactly is the issue you want to take up.
I take cue from the following conversations.

Labyrinth;90103 wrote:
Vicarious living is a best available option for many people to relive the days of youth. I'm not surprised at all by the incident you've described.

William;90155 wrote:
Put more emphasis on the word "provocative" and the daughters effort to attract attention or "flaunting" in full view of her mother. In my personal opinion the daughter knew no better as it was the obscenity of the mother for allowing it. William

A) Is it regarding, provocative dressing
B) Is it about, Vicarious livingstyles of parents? What is Vicarious living by the way.
C) Is it about Obscenity of the mother in question, for allowing the daughter to flaunt.
D) Is it about the missing-link thesis, i.e. parenting in a pair, is the best solution to your problem.

The scene did remind me of the Jane Austin classic, Pride and Prejudice. Thats where i may have got my bias. let me know. Thanks

Labyrinth

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:04 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;90734 wrote:
The young girl just wants her distracted mother's attention.

Hence the dress, hence the cheerful response at the barking of orders. And you said yourself the mother was fairly unaware of her daughter, being far to busy with the boyfriend.

This is not living vicariously, this is just parental neglect on one level or another.

Really? The mother gets her daughter to leave and acts super-nice to her boyfriend when she's gone? And this after she has acted jealously towards her daughter as well? Its hard to say there's no chance of the mother wanting to replace her daughter or relive her youthful days in an indirect way. This type of thing happens especially when a mother's daughter has reached a "milestone," in this case, the daughter's sexual maturing.
Another common stage for this to happen is when the daughter newly becomes a mother.

Caroline

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:10 am
@William,
Yeah, that type of mother, (can you call her a mother, no I don't think so), can't normally stand to be Grandmother, it makes her sound and feel old!
Thanks.

---------- Post added 09-17-2009 at 08:15 AM ----------

You know, the mother, (if you can call it that), gives in to her weaknesses which is why she'll never become a good mother, I feel sorry for the daughter, the mother ought to be busted.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:39 pm
@Caroline,
I did not see outright jealously in William's narrative - but even if there is jealousy, the mother is not living vicariously through the daughter: let's recall the definition of the word -

vicarious - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

William

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 01:06 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;90794 wrote:
Well, William, thanks for explaining your point of view. So you have ruled out the possibility I showed.
I gave you a possibility, because you had initially asked whether you could be wrong in your assumption. But it appears you are very confident of your perspective. So, let me take it at face value, as an exercise in social psychology. Lets leave out other matters and discuss this situation/scenario you described further.

Done.

Can you point out what exactly is the issue you want to take up. I take cue from the following conversations.
A) Is it regarding, provocative dressing?

Yes! I can understand it away from the Mother's present, and the many ways the young can "change" once they are out of their parents "eye sight". I think that is a bit more common than we like to think, I imagine.

B) Is it about, Vicarious living styles of parents? What is Vicarious living by the way.

Thank you for asking in that there aren't many definitions to it I will supply the two that best illustrate why I used the word:

1) "Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another: Like: reading about mountain climbing and experienced vicarious thrills."

Now let me modify the example above:

Like: Observing the experience of her daughter with her boyfriend and getting vicarious "thrills" from it.

2) "Endured or done by one person substituting for another: vicarious punishment". Like: The Mother finding a pleasure, yet the daughter suffers the pain in that she is far too young to realize the repercussions she could be creating for herself and the mother seems oblivious to that fact.

C) Is it about Obscenity of the mother in question, for allowing the daughter to flaunt.

Yes, if it indeed if there were intent. God, I hate to think that, for if it were, it would be not only obscene but criminal. That's the problem Jack. I have to think it is sub-conscious. Now let me offer this, had the daughter acted and dressed appropriately, at least in my opinion, it could have very well gone un-noticed.

D) Is it about the missing-link thesis, i.e. parenting in a pair, is the best solution to your problem.

Yes, and the relationship of the "pair". Now I can only offer what I would have done, if it were my daughter and I her Father. You see to me it indicates a loving male influence both the Mother and Daughter lack. So to answer your question..........Yes!

The scene did remind me of the Jane Austin classic, Pride and Prejudice. Thats where i may have got my bias. let me know.

Honestly, I would know for I have never read the book, though I will try to get familiar with what it says.

Thanks again, Jack

William

---------- Post added 09-17-2009 at 02:49 PM ----------

Didymos Thomas;90972 wrote:
I did not see outright jealously in William's narrative - but even if there is jealousy, the mother is not living vicariously through the daughter: let's recall the definition of the word -

No, I didn't either as it was a plausible assumption on my part; but I do disagree on the vicarious part and ruling it out as the above post clearly indicates by those definitions provided by ans.com. that I used.

William

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 01:39 pm
@William,
To live vicarious through someone is like the show mother putting her 4 year old in beauty pageants - that is quite different from your disinterested grocery store mother; matter fact, they seem to be nearly exact opposites.

So, no, this is not the mother living vicarious through the daughter, this is the mother having some degree of neglect for her daughter, and the daughter trying to stand out and get her mother's attention.

Unless there was something you left out, William, this seems pretty straightforward to me.

Labyrinth

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Thanks for pointing out the confusion over the use of "vicarious."

A provocatively dressed 14-year-old girl doesn't strike me as a red flag for parental neglect. As was mentioned earlier, some girls choose to change clothes when out of the parent(s)' sight. I see this as unremarkably normal.

I'm mostly highlighting a desire of the mother to displace her daughter. This happens everywhere as people subconsciously jump through "portals" back to the past (here I agree with William). Vicarious living as properly defined above is one way to do it. Its generally more easily detected in eastern cultures where parental authority is asserted more strongly, over a wider range, and most importantly, for a longer time. Five years ago I may have dismissed these ideas, but I've seen too many grandmothers trying to be mothers again to ignore this phenomenon.

Its interesting to see the different opinions on what happened behind the scenes so to speak. And only one of us is an eyewitness. :Glasses:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:33 pm
@Labyrinth,
Okay, but the daughter's dress is only one aspect to consider - there is also the response of the daughter to her mother's barking of orders. Taking these together, with William's description of the mother's lack of recognition of her daughter, they seem to suggest that the mother does not pay her daughter much attention and that the daughter would like to reverse that condition by whatever means are available.

As for the mother wanting to replace her daughter, I see no evidence of such a thing in the narrative provided.

Caroline

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:21 pm
@William,
Obviously the mother doesn't care.

William

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:47 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;91019 wrote:
Okay, but the daughter's dress is only one aspect to consider - there is also the response of the daughter to her mother's barking of orders. Taking these together, with William's description of the mother's lack of recognition of her daughter, they seem to suggest that the mother does not pay her daughter much attention and that the daughter would like to reverse that condition by whatever means are available.

As for the mother wanting to replace her daughter, I see no evidence of such a thing in the narrative provided.

Sorry, DT, I totally disagree. They are identical. Both mothers are putting their daughters on display to fulfill a need the mother never had. I think if the truth were known those Mother's who were in those beauty pageant's and had loving husbands, would never subject their daughters to such exhibitions. I will agree there are exceptions and indeed one scenario is more critical, but they are the same, never the less. And then their is Jon Benet Ramsey.

Now here is the real problem; if you have more than one daughter and one is not pageant material; how does a mother explain that to the "ugly one".

William

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 04:58 pm
@William,
How is the mother in your narrative putting her daughter on display? Typically at 14, mothers do not dress their children.

The pageant mom's are usually obsessive, giving too much attention to their children, not too little as you describe in the narrative.

Caroline

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:34 pm
@William,
They are dressing them up and putting them on display. But when they get older and fall pray to certain people is it up to the mother to stop it or end it because isn't she supposed to know best? Especially if the girl is only 14?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:16 pm
@Caroline,
Sure, the mother should do something to address the problem, but in William's narrative we have a mother who doesn't seem to even notice her daughter unless she forgets to pick something up walking through the store - and then the mother only notices the daughter long enough to bark at the poor kid.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Mother and Daughter Ethical Considerations
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:06:40