Ethics of Prostitution

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Aedes

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 09:20 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;84228 wrote:
Simple, bottle necking.
I'm confused -- in your last thread you said "Places where prostitution is legal, you won't find the cracked out "gutter tramp". So now you're saying that you WILL find it there after all.

By the way, there used to be prostitution "bottle necking" in Times Square when I was growing up, and there still is on 11th Avenue, Canal Street, and St. Mark's Place in NYC, yet it's nothing like The Strip in Las Vegas.

Krumple;84228 wrote:
Since it is one of the few places where it is "acceptable" it causes a massive influx of prostitutes all struggling for "work".
That is one of the most ludicrous things I've seen in the entire time I've been a member of this forum. If there's such a "glut", then why would people "massively influx" there in order to work illegally? Why not work illegally near home instead where there isn't such a glut? Why is there enough demand for illegal prostitutes in Las Vegas to support an enormous population of them when legal brothels are around?

Do the child runaways, single moms, and drug addicts from around the country all "massively influx" to that "bottleneck" so that they can prostitute illegally?

Krumple;84228 wrote:
and because all the good jobs were taken
I'm looking forward to seeing your reference for this datum...

Krumple;84228 wrote:
In those other cities, you can't be so "out in the open" or you'll end up in cuffs.
As you will in Las Vegas where prostitution is illegal.

Krumple

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 09:36 pm
@Khethil,
Quote:
That is one of the most ludicrous things I've seen in the entire time I've been a member of this forum. If there's such a "glut", then why would people "massively influx" there in order to work illegally? Why not work illegally near home instead where there isn't such a glut? Why is there enough demand for illegal prostitutes in Las Vegas to support an enormous population of them when legal brothels are around?

Do the child runaways, single moms, and drug addicts from around the country all "massively influx" to that "bottleneck" so that they can prostitute illegally?
Take a course in economics. It has to do with supply and demand. If the demand is for "high" quality then there is competition to be "higher" quality. Back in NY there is less selection so the ability to pass off lower quality is easier. You can't sell a "gutter tramp" in vegas unless they are willing to pay nothing.

An example of this is during prohibition of alcohol. Since it was made illegal, all sorts of low quality fraudulent so called alcohol was being made. Some of it was so poisonous that people were going blind off the stuff that was on the black market. When did you last hear about someone consuming poisonous alcohol today? NEVER. But then it was common.

When you create a black market, the product tends to down grade in quality, and price increases. When something is legal, it tends to go up in quality, due to the demand for higher quality and the price tends to drop. There are some other factors but generally this is the case.

Aedes

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 10:20 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;84245 wrote:
Take a course in economics. It has to do with supply and demand.
The econ courses I took didn't cover the economics of prostitution, so I guess your professors would know best.

Krumple;84245 wrote:
When did you last hear about someone consuming poisonous alcohol today? NEVER.
Not quite "never", my friend. There's an illegal alcohol trade in the United States that costs the state of Virginia alone tens of millions of dollars (Western VA is where it is most concentrated). And if you ask any toxicologist, methanol poisoning from "moonshine" still happens regularly. I've never personally seen a case, but I've seen ethylene glycol poisoning and isopropynol poisoning for the same reason (people trying to drink something other than legal alcohol), and I know ER physicians who have seen methanol poisoning. How's that for your economics?

Khethil

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 01:24 pm
@Khethil,
Well, congratulations folks; some of your urges (apparently irresistible) to call into question the intelligence of others has tainted this thread to the point where it had to be closed. This is not completely unexpected, but it is a disappointment.

I took a risk opening up an issue like this; and while I think some excellent views have been expressed, the inability to keep your emotions - and verbal abuses - in check have necessitated it's closure.

How very disappointing

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 06:25:09