Take the bonus?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 05:58 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60141 wrote:
Yes, and the reason is that you are essentially trying to argue that right can mean wrong. I am assuming that right and wrong have two distinct meanings.

Because we are talking about right (moral) acts. A right action is self defeating if and only if the right action is a wrong action.

Maybe the confusion is over the phrase "self-defeating". A self defeating action is an action that accomplishes the opposite of it's intent. If action X is determined to be a right action, action X cannot be self defeating because we have already determined that action X is right.

The confusion was over the phrase self-defeating. What I mean by it is an action that "defeats" the one who commits it. As in it does not concern for one's own wellbeing. Like giving all your food and money to the homeless.

I would agree that an action that accomplishes the opposite of it's intent can't be right. - If the intent was right.
But I dont think that matters, this debate was about whether a decision with no concern for one's own wellbeing means it cant be morally right:
Didymos Thomas;59805 wrote:
Let's be careful, here. You say to give all of your food to the poor would be morally right, but the wrong thing to do because you would then starve. But there is a problem: you are suggesting that the morally right thing to do is to have no concern for your wellbeing. This seems to be an inadequate account of morality.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:23 am
@EmperorNero,
Alright, so we agree that a moral action cannot, by its very nature, be self defeating.

With this established, we can go back to the initial issue: whether or not a moral action can completely neglect the agent's well being. Because giving away all of your food will cause you to starve, giving away all of your food cannot be the right action because it defeats the purpose of acting rightly: it leads to your death which makes the purpose of acting rightly, to live rightly, impossible as you would then be dead.

So, we are left with the conclusions: 1) doing the moral thing cannot be self defeating, 2) the executives who accepted immense bonuses as their companies folded acted immorally, 3) said executives should not have accepted the money and should return the money.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:34 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60162 wrote:
Alright, so we agree that a moral action cannot, by its very nature, be self defeating.

With this established, we can go back to the initial issue: whether or not a moral action can completely neglect the agent's well being. Because giving away all of your food will cause you to starve, giving away all of your food cannot be the right action because it defeats the purpose of acting rightly: it leads to your death which makes the purpose of acting rightly, to live rightly, impossible as you would then be dead.

So, we are left with the conclusions: 1) doing the moral thing cannot be self defeating, 2) the executives who accepted immense bonuses as their companies folded acted immorally, 3) said executives should not have accepted the money and should return the money.

And what I'm saying is, that acting rightly is just acting rightly. The purpose of of acting rightly does not exclude actions that defeat yourself (my meaning of self-defeating).

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:40 am
@EmperorNero,
The initial point of the thread was to discuss whether or not some executives should have accepted bonuses. You argued that, due to some pragmatic concern, the executives should have taken the bonuses regardless of moral concerns. Because acting rightly is just acting rightly, and because taking the bonuses was acting wrongly, your initial argument must be abandoned.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:55 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60172 wrote:
The initial point of the thread was to discuss whether or not some executives should have accepted bonuses.

Yes.
You argued that, due to some pragmatic concern, the executives should have taken the bonuses regardless of moral concerns.

Yes. You were saying that it can't be moral to do what's not in your self-interest.
Because acting rightly is just acting rightly, and because taking the bonuses was acting wrongly, your initial argument must be abandoned.

I don't see why. My point was that you don't have to act rightly.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:21 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:

Yes. You were saying that it can't be moral to do what's not in your self-interest.

Oh no, that's not at all what I argued. I began with questions in the first post, and the dialog between us continued as an investigation into your claims.

EmperorNero wrote:
I don't see why. My point was that you don't have to act rightly.

Sorry for my ambiguity: I was referring to your claims that contradicted the three conclusions I set out, which is only 1 and 3. We have always agreed on the second one. The first conclusion seemed to be an issue until we resolved the matter as a semantic misunderstanding, though we still might have some disagreement regarding the statement: "The purpose of of acting rightly does not exclude actions that defeat yourself".

I happen to agree that human beings are capable of acting wrongly.

On the statement "The purpose of of acting rightly does not exclude actions that defeat yourself". So, sometimes the purpose of acting rightly is, to an extent, for the agent to defeat himself?
Do you mean actions such as scape-goating, whereby one individual takes the burden of the community's problem? It's an archetypal story line, Jesus being the most famous example. Or like Luke Skywalker. If so, I agree and there is no question on this point.

Leaving the third point, which you appear to disagree with having said that when executives return this money for the sake of morals "being morally right has gone a bit too far".

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:39 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I think, yes to all you say.

Didymos Thomas;60190 wrote:
I happen to agree that human beings are capable of acting wrongly.

This was what I meant in the beginning. That humans should follow morales as good as they can, not make morales to be what benefits them.

Didymos Thomas;60190 wrote:
So, sometimes the purpose of acting rightly is, to an extent, for the agent to defeat himself?
Do you mean actions such as scape-goating, whereby one individual takes the burden of the community's problem? It's an archetypal story line, Jesus being the most famous example. Or like Luke Skywalker. If so, I agree and there is no question on this point.

Yes. But you point out examples where an agent-detrimental action is morally right because it will bring greater good to others. So that the bad is outweighed.
My point was that actions are not right because they bring good. The right actions often bring good, but that is not the reason they are good.

I admit that I don't really know yet why actions are good, except that they are your moral duty.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:22:30