right/wrong in moral relativism

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » right/wrong in moral relativism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 05:58 am
I have heard it said that an action by a moral relativist is deemed 'wrong' by how the action 'inhibits the growth of a civil society'

That definition just seems way to general to me and I think that a better definition needs to be created or shown.

Rape is often seen as wrong by a moral relativist because it appears to inhibit the growth of a civil society. My question is how is it determined when the act fully inhibits or imporves a society?

For example:

Jenny gets raped by Mike. Jenny use to be a very quiet woman that wasn't going anywhere with her job. This act of rape gave her the fierce desire to advance in her job because she now is a more driven individual. She started her own business that in 10 years grew to be the largest company to provide clean water to thousands in Africa.

When she was raped that act was good because it influenced the positive growth of a society and benefited many more people then those that it affected negatively.

What are your thoughts and or comments.

Justin

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 09:51 am
@click here,
Simple. For every negative there is an equal or greater positive. This is a law that cannot be avoided and a law within nature and all the Universe. Everything is completely and utterly balanced until you and I get our hands on it. LOL.

So, things happen. If they are bad, there is good in them. If they are good, there is bad in them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The misconception is that we, meaning you and I and all other humankind, create the good and bad. We are the imbalance of a balanced Universe.

Edit: Removed the Off-Topic Rambling

click here

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:42 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
Simple. For every negative there is an equal or greater positive. This is a law that cannot be avoided and a law within nature and all the Universe. Everything is completely and utterly balanced until you and I get our hands on it. LOL.

So, things happen. If they are bad, there is good in them. If they are good, there is bad in them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The misconception is that we, meaning you and I and all other humankind, create the good and bad. We are the imbalance of a balanced Universe.

Edit: Removed the Off-Topic Rambling

I think I am looking for a better defintion for moral relativism. Because with the defintion I have seen a moral relativist even under their own umbrella can not call one action 'right' or 'wrong'.

sarathustrah

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:58 pm
@click here,
well i maintain that things usually happen for a reason... but i no nothing of the moral relativist type stuff and all that... but...

if you asked jenny do you think she would forgive mike for the incident of violation as it inspired her to change IN ONE ASPECT from being quiet and passive to being take charge and outgoing or whatever.... but what else was the effect of this... can she no longer trust guys? is she afraid when shes alone? and the neverending amount of other effects such an incident could have...

i dont think the psychology of rape is usually as you exampled... in the majority of cases wouldnt it be the opposite... a strong willed and outgoing girl is violated and becomes unable to trust men, afraid to have a relationship, becomes more quiet... cant even keep a job... maybe even commit suicide...

i mean i dont imagine your tryin to justify such immoral and terrible actions... but i think this is one of those things that doesnt have a standard or an excuse to be allowed to happen or to be an acceptable evil...

jenny coulda went on a killing spree of men convicted of rape...

and whos to say jenny couldnt of eventually still had the idea to have that business and make clean water for africa if it hadnt happened... or when as a quiet person wouldve found a guy, been a housewife and raised the child that would grow up to cure aids...

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 05:25 pm
@sarathustrah,
the example is false- it uses one isolated case in an attempt to prove a rule wrong. Essentially while in this case thousands of people are indirectly happier because they now have clean water, that isn't comparable to how many would be happy if there was no rape. Moral codes and systems should, as was pointed out, help a society- individualistic lines of causality make no difference- societys need rules and boundaries.

Also is the example actually possible? What I mean is that can you really claim that raping this woman lead directly to saving people in Africa? For a start she obviously had some potential in her to do impressive things- that would be how she manage the whole water thing- the drive towards that is a good thing, but why would it have to be a rape, and who is to say the drive would have come naturally? Moreover who's to say that even if this woman hadn't had this 'drive' that the water wouldn't have come from somewhere else- she presumably had people who financed her work, and these people could just as easily financed another. Arguably she just filled a niche another could have.

Basically the problem with this example, as with so many, especially in modern philosophy, is that it takes a Gods eye view- it claims knowlage of the unknowable; we will never know the causes and consequances of action and motivation as this example claims. If we are to look at this from the perspective of God then I will counter by looking, I hope more clearly, throught that same lense. A bad thing has happened, a rape, but God brings the good from all bad things and comes to a good conclusion- in essecence gives the woman strength, hope and determination from her suffering. However no Christian could say the crucifixtion was a good thing- it was the torture and execution of the son of God, but it brought about the most wonderful thing ever to occur. However that does not change the fact that crucifixtion is bad.

In the end we must look to this example as our guide. We mourn the death of Christ even as we celebrate his ressurection. In the same way in this case we should mourn the wrong done to this woman, even as we rejoice in her newfound strength. That people emerge stronger, and that good thigns come from bad, should be a spur to end evil, not propogate it. That somthing good has come from a rape should be a spur to end all rape forever, not to allow it.

WithoutReason

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 11:54 pm
@avatar6v7,
I generally consider myself a moral relativist when it comes to actions that primarily affect an individual. That is, with such actions it is up to the individual considering them to determine their morality. When it comes to actions that directly affect other individuals (while they are certainly unpleasant and should be considered when making decisions, I wouldn't consider the emotional ramificaitons others might experience as the result of an individual's actions to qualify as "directly" affecting others because they are not enough to outweigh the individual's right to make his own decisions about his own life) or actions that directly affect society as a whole (I wouldn't consider the loss of societal productivity of an individual because of a decision he made enough to qualify as "directly" affecting society because this too does not supercede the individual's right to make decisions about his own life), then I do believe there are actions that are universally right and wrong.

As for your example, for me the consequences of the act do not change the intrinsic immorality of the act. While such consequences are a positive, they do not negate the pain Jenny will battle for the rest of her life because of what she experienced, and they do not justify Mike's choice to violate the liberty of another human being. Even though I am in some respects a moral relativist, when it comes to actions that negatively and directly affect other individuals or society as a whole notwithstanding any positive consequences that later follow, I would not say that such actions can be morally justified.

click here

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 03:02 am
@avatar6v7,
the example is false- it uses one isolated case in an attempt to prove a rule wrong. Essentially while in this case thousands of people are indirectly happier because they now have clean water, that isn't comparable to how many would be happy if there was no rape. Moral codes and systems should, as was pointed out, help a society- individualistic lines of causality make no difference- societys need rules and boundaries.

Also is the example actually possible? What I mean is that can you really claim that raping this woman lead directly to saving people in Africa? For a start she obviously had some potential in her to do impressive things- that would be how she manage the whole water thing- the drive towards that is a good thing, but why would it have to be a rape, and who is to say the drive would have come naturally? Moreover who's to say that even if this woman hadn't had this 'drive' that the water wouldn't have come from somewhere else- she presumably had people who financed her work, and these people could just as easily financed another. Arguably she just filled a niche another could have.

Basically the problem with this example, as with so many, especially in modern philosophy, is that it takes a Gods eye view- it claims knowlage of the unknowable; we will never know the causes and consequances of action and motivation as this example claims. If we are to look at this from the perspective of God then I will counter by looking, I hope more clearly, throught that same lense. A bad thing has happened, a rape, but God brings the good from all bad things and comes to a good conclusion- in essecence gives the woman strength, hope and determination from her suffering. However no Christian could say the crucifixtion was a good thing- it was the torture and execution of the son of God, but it brought about the most wonderful thing ever to occur. However that does not change the fact that crucifixtion is bad.

In the end we must look to this example as our guide. We mourn the death of Christ even as we celebrate his ressurection. In the same way in this case we should mourn the wrong done to this woman, even as we rejoice in her newfound strength. That people emerge stronger, and that good thigns come from bad, should be a spur to end evil, not propogate it. That somthing good has come from a rape should be a spur to end all rape forever, not to allow it.

My example is not false. You could claim that it is unlikely but nothing more. The fact that it is possible completely proves my points.

Remember the definition I put out in the OP as to when something is wrong: 'inhibits the growth of a civil society'

My whole point is that because it is uncalculable as to the final effects an action will have to the growth of a society it is impossible by that definition for a moral relitivist to say that an action is wrong.

I am stating that if you are a moral relativist and are satisfied with that defintion then you can not call an action wrong or right.

click here

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:30 am
@click here,
I'd still be interested in hearing more if anyone has a better defintion for moral relativism. I think that many subscribe to this defintion and continue from there to say one thing is wrong or right. I still say that by their own definition they can not clearly say one way or another.

Khethil

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:09 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
I'd still be interested in hearing more if anyone has a better defintion for moral relativism. I think that many subscribe to this defintion and continue from there to say one thing is wrong or right. I still say that by their own definition they can not clearly say one way or another.

Ok, well I'm going to wing it here because I've had little sleep and am on a semi-conscious roll here Smile[INDENT]Moral relativism is that view that says there is no wrong or right in any objective sense; that an act may be wrong for you (or me), or in a certain culture but it - in an of itself - cannot be always called wrong. Loose Example: A Moral Relativist might say that Female Circumcision/Castration is 'right' if you live in a remote Ethiopian tribe, but wrong if you live in Dublin Ireland (culturally-dependent relativity).
[/INDENT]How'd I do?

And this caught my eye, in the opening post:

click here wrote:
Jenny gets raped by Mike. Jenny use to be a very quiet woman that wasn't going anywhere with her job. This act of rape gave her the fierce desire to advance in her job because she now is a more driven individual. She started her own business that in 10 years grew to be the largest company to provide clean water to thousands in Africa.

When she was raped that act was good because it influenced the positive growth of a society and benefited many more people then those that it affected negatively.

I see that some here might have gotten "wrapped around the axle" on this example. But I think I see the point; Can a 'wrong' act, which results in some, any or more good be then called 'right' on any level?

If I've taken your question right here, I'd say that we're mixing apples and oranges: This comes back to the "sum total"/Amount of Happiness-arguments. In my view, an act which I deem 'wrong' can't ever be said to be OK if the end results nets good. Examples:

• I find rape to be so terrible, so violating, that even if it (say, via Hollywood) miraculously saved the human race, it'd still be wrong and I wouldn't support it.
  • If I esteem torture to be wrong, then even if it could result in saving thousands of lives, I wouldn't do it.

I'm not sure how close to the mark I hit here - I'm hoping it at least landed in the ballpark.

Thanks

click here

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 07:53 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Ok, well I'm going to wing it here because I've had little sleep and am on a semi-conscious roll here Smile[INDENT]Moral relativism is that view that says there is no wrong or right in any objective sense; that an act may be wrong for you (or me), or in a certain culture but it - in an of itself - cannot be always called wrong. Loose Example: A Moral Relativist might say that Female Circumcision/Castration is 'right' if you live in a remote Ethiopian tribe, but wrong if you live in Dublin Ireland (culturally-dependent relativity).
[/INDENT]How'd I do?

I am not asking what a defintion of moral relativism is. I'm asking how does a moral relativist define when something is wrong.

Khethil wrote:

And this caught my eye, in the opening post:

I see that some here might have gotten "wrapped around the axle" on this example. But I think I see the point; Can a 'wrong' act, which results in some, any or more good be then called 'right' on any level?

If I've taken your question right here, I'd say that we're mixing apples and oranges: This comes back to the "sum total"/Amount of Happiness-arguments. In my view, an act which I deem 'wrong' can't ever be said to be OK if the end results nets good. Examples:

• I find rape to be so terrible, so violating, that even if it (say, via Hollywood) miraculously saved the human race, it'd still be wrong and I wouldn't support it.
  • If I esteem torture to be wrong, then even if it could result in saving thousands of lives, I wouldn't do it.

I'm not sure how close to the mark I hit here - I'm hoping it at least landed in the ballpark.

Thanks

Fair enough though then what I wish to know is how you deep rape being wrong? What is your defintion under moral relativism that would make something 'wrong'. Through your own opinion why is rape a wrong thing.

In the OP I stated that some relativists state that an action is wrong if it 'inhibits the growth of a civil society'.

That definition is not a very good one as per my example you can see that the defintion does not explain how or when something has to be helpful to the growth of a society for it to be deemed good or vice versa for 'wrong'.

Bones-O

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:27 pm
@click here,
The above crime is deemed wrong because:
1) it is illegal (wrong relative to the law);
2) it is antisocial (wrong relative to social mores);
3) it causes pain and torment to another (wrong relative to how we would like to be treated by others).

This is how I, as a moral relativist, deem actions to be wrong. I would agree that the prior definition falls somewhat short even of the theory of moral relativism.

As for its adverse side-effects, these are accidental and beside the point. Since there was no intent to produce those effects in the mind of the criminal, the 'wrongness' of his actions are unblemished.

Khethil

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:09 pm
@click here,
Hola Click

click here wrote:
I am not asking what a defintion of moral relativism is. I'm asking how does a moral relativist define when something is wrong.

Woops, sorry. Apparently I misunderstood; my apologies.

click here wrote:
Fair enough though then what I wish to know is how you deep rape being wrong? What is your defintion under moral relativism that would make something 'wrong'. Through your own opinion why is rape a wrong thing.

Well, I'm not sure I'm a relativist - I didn't think so. While I believe that the ethics of any act needs to be evaluated within the context it was committed, I also believe there are things that can be reasonably called 'wrong' across the human sphere. It seems I'm not the subject you were looking for.

Good luck though Smile

click here

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 04:30 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
The above crime is deemed wrong because:
1) it is illegal (wrong relative to the law);
2) it is antisocial (wrong relative to social mores);
3) it causes pain and torment to another (wrong relative to how we would like to be treated by others).

This is how I, as a moral relativist, deem actions to be wrong. I would agree that the prior definition falls somewhat short even of the theory of moral relativism.

As for its adverse side-effects, these are accidental and beside the point. Since there was no intent to produce those effects in the mind of the criminal, the 'wrongness' of his actions are unblemished.

Number 1 (and 2 relates): That doesn't make sense to me. So you as a moral relativist base what you view as wrong based off of how the government views it as well? Moral relativism by defintion is not to reflect objective truths. If your basing what you view as wrong off of absolute laws then it isn't relative at all its absolute...
That is no different then if I were to call myself a moral relativist and then to say that I deem something wrong as to what the Bible says about it. In both situations you are deriving from some sort of 'universal' law yet calling your decision a subjective decision?

You can't also base what you view as wrong just on as the government views things as in many other countries the government has no issue with many things that you may take offense to so I just don't see how you can call something wrong based off the law yet call yourself a moral relativist.

Why do you view something as wrong outside of the law.

Bones-O

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 10:22 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
Number 1 (and 2 relates): That doesn't make sense to me. So you as a moral relativist base what you view as wrong based off of how the government views it as well? Moral relativism by defintion is not to reflect objective truths. If your basing what you view as wrong off of absolute laws then it isn't relative at all its absolute...

But those laws aren't absolute. They only hold in the country where they were legislated. But you're right to pick me up on missing the most obvious and important 'wrong': it is wrong relative to my personal moral code.

click here wrote:

That is no different then if I were to call myself a moral relativist and then to say that I deem something wrong as to what the Bible says about it. In both situations you are deriving from some sort of 'universal' law yet calling your decision a subjective decision?

A theist moral absolutist would hold that the moral codes laid down by the bible apply universally: they would say X is absolutely wrong, their reason being because God said so. A theist moral relativist would say X is wrong only in this religion and grant that X may be right in others. That would be one hell of a groovy theist though.

click here wrote:

You can't also base what you view as wrong just on as the government views things as in many other countries the government has no issue with many things that you may take offense to so I just don't see how you can call something wrong based off the law yet call yourself a moral relativist.

Why do you view something as wrong outside of the law.

I don't base wrong on just what the government says: I provided two other (and now a fourth) good reasons for judging something to be wrong. Outside the law, something can be socially wrong (cheating on your partner, for instance), hypocritical (doing something that you would not want done to yourself), and/or, as above, just wrong because my moral code says so.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:10 pm
@Bones-O,
click here wrote:
I think I am looking for a better defintion for moral relativism. Because with the defintion I have seen a moral relativist even under their own umbrella can not call one action 'right' or 'wrong'.

There are different kinds of moral relativism.

There is cultural relativism which states that: an action is right or wrong if and only if S (the society in which the act occurs) believers an action is right or wrong.

There is, then, individual relativism which states that: an action is right or wrong if and only if P (the person judging the action) believes an action is right or wrong.

The possible objections to these conceptions of moral relativism are numerous, but I'll bring up a few for thought (not that they have not been introduced already, but that perhaps by introducing them in light of these two types of moral relativism the objections might be more useful).

With individual relativism, the primary objection should be fairly obvious: individual moral relativism is not a moral theory, but a theory that denies the value of moral theories. Individual moral relativism has no explanatory value, it does not tell us how or why we should act. Not to mention the fact that no one, I think, would honestly claim to support individual relativism: it could not be said of Adolf Hitler that some of his actions were immoral according to individual relativism.

Cultural relativism has a number of problems. First, there is the objection from abhorrent practices: we might bring up cases of culturally accepted genocide or infanticide. Then there is what could be called the opinion poll objection: no society enjoys unanimous consent on any moral question. Cultural relativism cannot allow for moral progress, nor can cultural relativism account for moral reformers: cultural relativism could not, for example, claim that MLK or Gandhi's moral reforms were good or bad.

Then there is the question of: what is a culture? When you begin to break down any society in light of cultural relativism you end up sliding into individual relativism.

Cultural relativism is an appealing theory because it eliminates the cultural-egoism that has so often stifled research into foreign and unfamiliar cultures. However, there are other means by which cultural-egoism can be eliminated, so I do not see the need to hold onto cultural relativism any longer.

click here

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 01:35 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
There are different kinds of moral relativism.

There is cultural relativism which states that: an action is right or wrong if and only if S (the society in which the act occurs) believers an action is right or wrong.

There is, then, individual relativism which states that: an action is right or wrong if and only if P (the person judging the action) believes an action is right or wrong.

The possible objections to these conceptions of moral relativism are numerous, but I'll bring up a few for thought (not that they have not been introduced already, but that perhaps by introducing them in light of these two types of moral relativism the objections might be more useful).

With individual relativism, the primary objection should be fairly obvious: individual moral relativism is not a moral theory, but a theory that denies the value of moral theories. Individual moral relativism has no explanatory value, it does not tell us how or why we should act. Not to mention the fact that no one, I think, would honestly claim to support individual relativism: it could not be said of Adolf Hitler that some of his actions were immoral according to individual relativism.

Cultural relativism has a number of problems. First, there is the objection from abhorrent practices: we might bring up cases of culturally accepted genocide or infanticide. Then there is what could be called the opinion poll objection: no society enjoys unanimous consent on any moral question. Cultural relativism cannot allow for moral progress, nor can cultural relativism account for moral reformers: cultural relativism could not, for example, claim that MLK or Gandhi's moral reforms were good or bad.

Then there is the question of: what is a culture? When you begin to break down any society in light of cultural relativism you end up sliding into individual relativism.

Cultural relativism is an appealing theory because it eliminates the cultural-egoism that has so often stifled research into foreign and unfamiliar cultures. However, there are other means by which cultural-egoism can be eliminated, so I do not see the need to hold onto cultural relativism any longer.

Thank you for the reply. It helped me gain a cleared understanding of moral relativism.

Though I think another issue for cultural relativism is that it really is no different then individual relativism. It is just that many people except that view. Though for those that do not except that view it holds no ground.

As to your example for Hitler. You can say under individual relativism the person that is holding the views can call Hitlers actions wrong. Just like a group of people in cultural relativism can call Hitlers actions wrong. Yet outside the individual or group the opinion holds zero grounds. I am sure that many in the group would love to call what Hitler did as absolutely wrong but we know that it is only 'absolutely wrong' under their umbrella of right and wrong and truly holds no more strength then individual relativism.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 04:55 pm
@click here,
click here wrote:

Though I think another issue for cultural relativism is that it really is no different then individual relativism. It is just that many people except that view. Though for those that do not except that view it holds no ground.

Right: when you set down to the task of figuring out what constitutes a culture, the result is the slide into individual relativism. We might begin with American culture, and immediately we recognize differences between urban culture and suburban culture and small town culture. It doesn't take long before we reach the level of the individual: and even there we can find inconsistency.

re turner jr

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 09:25 am
@click here,
click here wrote:

By sincere personal feeling. The idea that the 'good of a culture' or humanity posits an objective point of reference to determining right and wrong and thus is not relative, unless you state that the "good of humanity" is relative to the individual. This might be so since to go from that point of reference you then have to define "What is good?", "What is Human?", "Is humanity good by the def. of good?", etc...

So, most moral relativist end up talking what what I feel vs. what you feel, much like Dr. Phil, Oprah, or Springer. It's easy to talk about moral relativism, rather hard to live out consistently.

Bones-O

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 01:50 pm
@re turner jr,
re_turner_jr wrote:

So, most moral relativist end up talking what what I feel vs. what you feel, much like Dr. Phil, Oprah, or Springer. It's easy to talk about moral relativism, rather hard to live out consistently.

Well, isn't that the point. If one had consistent moral codes, one would not be a moral relativist surely? Consistency sounds like subscription to me.

re turner jr

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 04:08 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
Well, isn't that the point. If one had consistent moral codes, one would not be a moral relativist surely? Consistency sounds like subscription to me.

I agree that if one had consistent moral codes that are based on an objective point of reference then he/she would not be a relativist.

The question posed was "I'm asking how does a moral relativist define when something is wrong."

And in answer I stated that it is by the feelings of the relativist in question. I was also trying to show that the "good of society/humanity" is not the universal answer among relativist, and even that is relative (to the specific culture and ultimately the individual). I'm not trying to hem in the relativist to accept an objective point of reference, merely trying to answer the question at hand.

On an aside note, Bones, what do you mean by subscription? Please explain.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » right/wrong in moral relativism
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 09:59:22