Knowledge=Virtue=Happiness

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 01:54 pm
@xris,
Xris, You get pleasure from eating a donut, but just because you are satisfied that you felt in control of the ability to eat the donut and thus doing so... are you any more or less happy in the end? Sure you get pleasure...

And I never said we should be absent of pleasure. That would be like me saying we should be absent of ego. Look at western society. One might say we get a dam lot of pleasure, and yet what is happening to the suicide rate and happiness levels.

A person can have pleasure and lack joy, that much is clear. But can a person lack pleasure and have joy? Something is droning in me the answer is no, maybe my ego.

xris

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 02:01 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Xris, You get pleasure from eating a donut, but just because you are satisfied that you felt in control of the ability to eat the donut and thus doing so... are you any more or less happy in the end? Sure you get pleasure...

And I never said we should be absent of pleasure. That would be like me saying we should be absent of ego. Look at western society. One might say we get a dam lot of pleasure, and yet what is happening to the suicide rate and happiness levels.

A person can have pleasure and lack joy, that much is clear. But can a person lack pleasure and have joy? Something is droning in me the answer is no, maybe my ego.
So what makes you happy..not what makes you depressed..Donut eating makes me fat so thats like smoking..Pleasure is not happiness but certain pleasures make you happy others do not.What makes you happy?

Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 02:08 pm
@xris,
You think it is pleasure which directly attributes to happiness?

I suppose this can just be answered by discovering the chemicals the body deals with.

xris

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 02:14 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
You think it is pleasure which directly attributes to happiness?

I suppose this can just be answered by discovering the chemicals the body deals with.
Is happiness pleasurable ? Why cant i get an answer..what makes you happy? Am i talking to monks in hairy frocks..

Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 02:17 pm
@xris,
That's why I say a person cannot lack pleasure and have an abundant joy.

Icon

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 02:19 pm
@Eudaimon,
Happiness comes in many forms but for me, the only times that I can truly call myself happy is when I find myself in a state of complete emotional bliss.

Example: I was in a terrible mood due to some issues with a woman and decided to go on a bike ride. Not just any bike ride though. A long trail ride in the city park. After about 9 miles of riding on an overcast day, the sun peak just below the clouds and just above the horizon in the distance and it began to rain. It was a hot day and I was riding towards the sunset next to the banks of the colorado river. The rain trickled down my face and as I looked off into the sunset I could see millions of sparkling rain drops, glowing all the colors of the sunset, falling slowly over the river and the trail. I had a clear view of everything for miles and I could feel a combination of the cool rain and the warmth from the sun touching my skin. The smell of fresh rain filled my nostrils and at that moment the entire world faded away and I was in complete bliss. It was such a moving moment that I stayed in this state of bliss and happiness for 2 months. By far the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. My words could never do it justice but I can remember every detail.

It was not the beauty of the event or even the bliss I was experiencing. It was the lifting of all the weight on my shoulders and the levity provided by one peaceful moment in an otherwise hectic life. It was the moment where everything came into clear view and where I finally had the chance to stop thinking about things so I could just enjoy the moment.

xris

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 02:24 pm
@Icon,
Thanks for sharing that with us Icon..they are rare moments we all treasure for the rest of our lives..

Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 04:16 pm
@xris,
Emotional bliss? Dreams maybe...

Elmud

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 04:36 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Is happiness pleasurable ? Why cant i get an answer..what makes you happy? Am i talking to monks in hairy frocks..

lol. thanks xris. needed that one.

Eudaimon

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 10:19 am
@Eudaimon,
Oh, I see there was a big discussion without me.Smile
I shall try to express some of my views.
1) Happiness is the thing everyone wants to attain. I define happiness only negatively and think it can't be otherwise /in the 3) I'll explain why/. Thus, happiness is absence of suffering.
2) Bodily pleasures do not give joy. Yesterday I had some sweets on my table. But I didn't eat them. Today I had some biscuits. I ate them. And the outcome was the same: I have left my dinner table with the same tranquility, in the first case I didn't lose anything, in the second - didn't get anything. I think it's so evident, that only little children cannot understand this.
3) Joy comes spontaneously and it's sort are, of course, not those "pleasures" that men stive for. Another situation. Yesterday I was reading Phoenician Women by Euripides. The story was about hostility with two brothers which ended death of the both. There was a passage there, that really filled me with spiritual joy after many days since it last had come. Here it is:
...Mother mine, our end is come; I pity thee and my
sister Antigone and my dead brother. For I loved him though he turned
my foe, I loved him, yes! in spite of all...

It was absolutely unexpectedly, I didn't think here I should find anyting like this. If I had been reading something by Tolstoy or Dostoyevski, it wouldn't be so, I guess. Simply because there I'm waiting for sth. like this. I think it quite coincides with what Icon has written.
But nevertheless, joy cannot be called happiness. Joy comes and passes away but sth. even deeper remains. Joy can exist only where there's sth. opposite to it, otherwise one would not experience it. This is just like that we do not feel the smell of oxygen or the taste of water. Dixi

xris

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 12:58 pm
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon wrote:
Oh, I see there was a big discussion without me.Smile
I shall try to express some of my views.
1) Happiness is the thing everyone wants to attain. I define happiness only negatively and think it can't be otherwise /in the 3) I'll explain why/. Thus, happiness is absence of suffering.
2) Bodily pleasures do not give joy. Yesterday I had some sweets on my table. But I didn't eat them. Today I had some biscuits. I ate them. And the outcome was the same: I have left my dinner table with the same tranquility, in the first case I didn't lose anything, in the second - didn't get anything. I think it's so evident, that only little children cannot understand this.
3) Joy comes spontaneously and it's sort are, of course, not those "pleasures" that men stive for. Another situation. Yesterday I was reading Phoenician Women by Euripides. The story was about hostility with two brothers which ended death of the both. There was a passage there, that really filled me with spiritual joy after many days since it last had come. Here it is:
...Mother mine, our end is come; I pity thee and my
sister Antigone and my dead brother. For I loved him though he turned
my foe, I loved him, yes! in spite of all...
It was absolutely unexpectedly, I didn't think here I should find anyting like this. If I had been reading something by Tolstoy or Dostoyevski, it wouldn't be so, I guess. Simply because there I'm waiting for sth. like this. I think it quite coincides with what Icon has written.
But nevertheless, joy cannot be called happiness. Joy comes and passes away but sth. even deeper remains. Joy can exist only where there's sth. opposite to it, otherwise one would not experience it. This is just like that we do not feel the smell of oxygen or the taste of water. Dixi
happiness was the quest..whats joy? Am i happy are you happy? Im not unhappy...If i can be happy between being not happy im happy..

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 02:36 pm
@xris,
Nobody wants to be happy. If so then they are deluded into thinking that's what they want. No, we just want pleasure, whatever emotion emerges from that we'll stick by it.

Eudaimon

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:23 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Nobody wants to be happy. If so then they are deluded into thinking that's what they want. No, we just want pleasure, whatever emotion emerges from that we'll stick by it.

Maybe I was wrong when said that everyone wants to be happy. It's better to say everyone save those just free from suffering. Everyone just have this freedom within himself but only few understand it. Due to absence of realisation of the fact, one gets in troubles. To say, his life is one big trouble because he yearns for satisfaction and never finds it. Even if all his desires were satisfied, he wouldn't be happy (free from suffering) or even joyful. Imagine a man who got in place where he could easily attain what he wants, sth. kinda paradise, XD. He have tasty food, pleasant wheather, comfortable apartment, a lot of women, respect from others. Will this life be happy without that knowledge? By no means. What will occur when he has all his desires satisfied? He will start some new drugs, since drug called sex is also not long-playing, say alcohol, LSD and so forth. Or probably light ones: TV shows, movies -- these chewing gums for brain. If there won't be these drugs, I think he will end up in commiting suicide. Very pleasant life, I should say. But not free.

Eudaimon

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:07 am
@Eudaimon,
Holiday, we don't have to divide ourselves on ego, body and soul and the like. We are individuals, that is "indivisible ones", and as long as one ascribes some desires within him to smb. else, there arises conflict. That is why we need not deceive ourselves, saying it is not I who wants this but ego, body, lower self etc. Rather let us say that these are we who pursue, if we really pursue, those things. This is the beginnig of overcoming conflict within ourselves.

Elmud

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 05:48 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:

I want to be happy. A little pleasure, a little leisure, ain't bad every now and then. But, ya get tired of it. Happiness is contentment seems to me.

Eudaimon

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 11:13 am
@Elmud,
Why art thou not happy, then? What prevents thee from it? All those worries are ephemeral. They last only as long as thou thikst there will be a certain contentment after attainment of some external things.

xris

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:28 pm
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon wrote:
Why art thou not happy, then? What prevents thee from it? All those worries are ephemeral. They last only as long as thou thikst there will be a certain contentment after attainment of some external things.
Make me happy telleth me what maketh the happy or forthwith be liketh the sun on a damp and misty morn, invisible.

MJA

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:39 pm
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon wrote:
I may seem to be not original but here I should like to express my view on ethics. It appears to me that the reasonable and "fitting-all" foundation for it may lay only in one's personal happiness. quote]

The foundation of All truth you wrote twice in the title of your own thread.
Hello!!!

=
MJA

Eudaimon

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 10:32 am
@MJA,
MJA wrote:

The foundation of All truth you wrote twice in the title of your own thread.
Hello!!!

=
MJA

Hello, MJA, nice to meet thee again.
So, what thinkst thou of these things?

Eudaimon

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 10:36 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Make me happy telleth me what maketh the happy or forthwith be liketh the sun on a damp and misty morn, invisible.

Hahaha, xris, excuse me but I can't get what thou sayest. There are some problems with grammar, I don't know.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 10:19:18