Absolute Human Rights

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

nerdfiles

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:21 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;48539 wrote:
I don't agree that that is meaningless, even from a literal point of view. Entertain the possibility that we can scientifically demonstrate that "to love" or "to become angered" is a physiologic function of the brain. Thus, the statement "the brain is angered" is no less accurate than the statement "the hand grasps" or "the heart contracts".

Sure, all kinds of caveats can be interposed, like arguing that "to love" is a conscious experience, whereas what goes on in the brain is nothing more than a facilitative physiology. But the problem here is not the statement, but rather the rather generic subtexts of the concept "to love".

This would be false and not because love is a "conscious experience," but because it commits a mereological fallacy. The brains serves to satisfy certain necessary conditions for the human organism to love, hate, be angered, and so on. The brain cannot be identified with the organism because the brain is properly a logical part that is constitutive of the organism itself. The whole organism's brain must satisfy certain conditions necessary (neurological, synaptic) for anger, but the anger itself is not simply those necessary conditions thus satisfied.

"The brain is angered" employs a concept which only makes sense when applied through public criteria. No one means when he or she says "X is angry" that X's brain is angry. What this person has done is take behavioral criteria for applying the predicate "is angry" and applied it more or less accurately, though subject to error. No criteria stands to confirm or disconfirm that the brain is angry. It is thus meaningless to ascribe such a predicate to the brain.

nerdfiles

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:26 pm
@click here,
Perhaps, though, this subject would be better served in a philosophy of language, of mind, of psychology, or of science forum. It would be wrong of us to pursue it here instead of the topic on absolute rights.

Aedes

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:29 pm
@nerdfiles,
I don't think you followed my point. There may well be an exact neurophysiologic correlate of what we mean when we say "is angered". If so, then it would be accurate and meaningful to say that the brain is angered. Similarly, John can have a meningioma and John's brain can have a meningioma.

Edit -- I missed your addition. I think you see what I mean, and I am cognizant of some embedded vagaries in language that can have a large, unconscious influence on philosophical discourse. Indeed fruit for other threads.

nerdfiles

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:33 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;48548 wrote:
I don't think you followed my point. There may well be an exact neurophysiologic correlate of what we mean when we say "is angered". If so, then it would be accurate and meaningful to say that the brain is angered. Similarly, John can have a meningioma and John's brain can have a meningioma.

Edit -- I missed your addition. I think you see what I mean, and I am cognizant of some embedded vagaries in language that can have a large, unconscious influence on philosophical discourse. Indeed fruit for other threads.

I will create a new thread in the philosophy of mind forum.

click here

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 03:11 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
I see. What I am arguing is that "fallibility" is not a proper predicate to apply to a convention.

Like if you say "That dog's bark was slippery." I cannot say this declaration is true or false, correct or incorrect, right or wrong, but only figurative, at best, or meaningless.

It's not that conventions are fallible or infallible. They're not the kind of thing that can be predicated as such. Any statement that fits the concept of "convention" with the concept of "fallibility" is misleading, at best, but is at its core conceptually confused. It might "make sense" intuitively, but on serious reflection, you'll see that you're only entertaining a pseudo-concept, and thus a pseudo-problem.

I think you are confusing my post. When did I ever say that conventions are fallible? I am merely stating that they are conventions. They are created by the mind of man through his interpretation of what he sees as best in relation to the world. I'm not saying that man can create bad or good conventions I am only saying that he creates conventions.

As Zetherin stated: "A convention is a rule or a selection from among two or more alternatives, where the rule or alternative is agreed upon among participants; standards, norms"

I'm not arguing that that rule that is agreed upon is wrong. I'm just stating that all human rights are created by man and there is no absolute reason to follow any 'human right'.

nerdfiles

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 09:51 am
@click here,
Quote:
I'm not saying that man can create bad or good conventions I am only saying that he creates conventions.

Is this not my argument?

Quote:
My arument: t's not that conventions are fallible or infallible. They're not the kind of thing that can be predicated as such.

No, I understand your post/argument entirely. I am telling you that as it stands now, I find it incoherent.

What sense is there to be had from the notion of man "creating a convention." My whole point is that a convention cannot be good or bad, fallible or infallible (we usually hold "fallibility" to be "bad" and "infallibility" to be pretty sweet ("good")), etc. Thus, attacking human conventions neither helps nor hurts your argument about rights being absolute or local.

By convention you may be "contrived," "fabricated," "invented," and so forth. So it would be best that you use that term because using "convention" only leads to confusion and is generally misleading. Only in a figurative, poetic sense can you mean "man creates conventions." A convention is not the kind of thing that is literally "created." Attacking conventions really just distracts us from your argument.

Suppose we take your argument. What is "following" a human right? Do you mean "obeying," "respecting," "accepting"? What about rights being a human convention makes them have no "absolute reason to be followed"? Naturally, some people can't "follow" right simply because they're not old enough to understand what rights are.

And how is not following an "absolute right" any different from not following a regular ol' normal right? What exactly are your agruing for, and why are you arguing for it?

Perhaps we can just leave "conventions" out of it anyway since your premise is "all human rights are created by man." But are you saying that "there is no absolute reason to follow any 'human right'" follows from your premise?

click here

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:05 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
Is this not my argument?

No, I understand your post/argument entirely. I am telling you that as it stands now, I find it incoherent.

What sense is there to be had from the notion of man "creating a convention." My whole point is that a convention cannot be good or bad, fallible or infallible (we usually hold "fallibility" to be "bad" and "infallibility" to be pretty sweet ("good")), etc. Thus, attacking human conventions neither helps nor hurts your argument about rights being absolute or local.

By convention you may be "contrived," "fabricated," "invented," and so forth. So it would be best that you use that term because using "convention" only leads to confusion and is generally misleading. Only in a figurative, poetic sense can you mean "man creates conventions." A convention is not the kind of thing that is literally "created." Attacking conventions really just distracts us from your argument.

Suppose we take your argument. What is "following" a human right? Do you mean "obeying," "respecting," "accepting"? What about rights being a human convention makes them have no "absolute reason to be followed"? Naturally, some people can't "follow" right simply because they're not old enough to understand what rights are.

And how is not following an "absolute right" any different from not following a regular ol' normal right? What exactly are your agruing for, and why are you arguing for it?

Perhaps we can just leave "conventions" out of it anyway since your premise is "all human rights are created by man." But are you saying that "there is no absolute reason to follow any 'human right'" follows from your premise?

So it would make things easier for you if I just said inventions of man.

And yes I am saying that all human rights are created by man. I'm arguing for that because there are people that I have run into on the forum that argue against absolute morals but for some reason hold on to absolute human rights.

Yes, I also say there is no absolute reason to follow any 'human right'. Just as if someone tells you to jump off a cliff. You don't have an obligation to follow their whims. Neither do you have an obligation to follows any mans ideas on 'human rights'

nerdfiles

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:15 am
@click here,
Quote:
Just as if someone tells you to jump off a cliff. You don't have an obligation to follow their whims. Neither do you have an obligation to follows any mans ideas on 'human rights'

Well, if it were just an particular order for me to jump off a bridge, then it makes no sense to even speak of obligation. It's not that I do or do not have the obligation to obey. This is simply not a case of "obligation"; the concept simply does not apply. Now I might be obliged to jump off the bridge, supposing that the person had a gun.

Your "jump off a cliff" example is categorically distinct from your "Neither do you have..." claim. So it does not help your argument, nor does it help me see why you are actually making it. Thus, I claim that your analogy is false.

Now the problem is that "right" is a legal concept. "Morals" are not necessarily legal concepts. A natural law theorist may have trouble with your arguments (though you have failed to give a plausible one). However, someone who is a legal positivist or a legal realist, who at the same time ascribes to moral absolutism, would have no problem with your argument because their position, initially, would be to make the distinction between legal concepts and moral concepts. For these positions, legal concepts do not depend on morality. On the other hand, if they argue against "absolute morals," whatever that is supposed to mean, they can argue for "absolute rights,"whatever that is supposed to mean, since they do not think that legal concepts depend on moral concepts for their justification.

Zetherin

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:21 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
I see. What I am arguing is that "fallibility" is not a proper predicate to apply to a convention.

Like if you say "That dog's bark was slippery." I cannot say this declaration is true or false, correct or incorrect, right or wrong, but only figurative, at best, or meaningless.

It's not that conventions are fallible or infallible. They're not the kind of thing that can be predicated as such. Any statement that fits the concept of "convention" with the concept of "fallibility" is misleading, at best, but is at its core conceptually confused. It might "make sense" intuitively, but on serious reflection, you'll see that you're only entertaining a pseudo-concept, and thus a pseudo-problem.

Another example: "The brain believes, understands, interprets, is angered, loves, and sets goals." This is not correct or incorrect, right or wrong, accurate or inaccurate; it's simply meaningless.

Understood, point taken. It did make sense to me, though I do understand the illogicality of my claim. It makes me wonder what other conceptually confused claims I've made, that, when critically considered, don't literally make any sense at all.

Thanks.

click here

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 11:06 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
Well, if it were just an particular order for me to jump off a bridge, then it makes no sense to even speak of obligation. It's not that I do or do not have the obligation to obey. This is simply not a case of "obligation"; the concept simply does not apply. Now I might be obliged to jump off the bridge, supposing that the person had a gun.

Actually it still is a case of obligation. The fact that you don't have an absolute obligation to do so means the same way as if some one were to say to you "Don't kill me! I have a right to live!" There is no obligation that you should abide by what he says. A lack of obligation simply is a lack of requirement to do something. They ask you not to kill them though you do not have a requirement to do as they say.

It is the same case with the person who tells you to jump of a cliff/bridge. You have no requirement to follow their command.

Since all 'human rights' are simply commands from another human you have no obligation to follow them.

nerdfiles wrote:

Your "jump off a cliff" example is categorically distinct from your "Neither do you have..." claim. So it does not help your argument, nor does it help me see why you are actually making it. Thus, I claim that your analogy is false.

I would like you to know that I appreciate your critiquing of my argument. I don't exactly agree with you as to it being a bad analogy as I explained above.

nerdfiles wrote:

Now the problem is that "right" is a legal concept. "Morals" are not necessarily legal concepts. A natural law theorist may have trouble with your arguments (though you have failed to give a plausible one). However, someone who is a legal positivist or a legal realist, who at the same time ascribes to moral absolutism, would have no problem with your argument because their position, initially, would be to make the distinction between legal concepts and moral concepts. For these positions, legal concepts do not depend on morality. On the other hand, if they argue against "absolute morals," whatever that is supposed to mean, they can argue for "absolute rights,"whatever that is supposed to mean, since they do not think that legal concepts depend on moral concepts for their justification.

You are asking what moral absolutes are? "Moral absolutism is the belief that there are absolute standards against which moral questions can be judged, and that certain actions are right..."

I don't see where you are getting at by calling 'rights' a legal concept. Whatever title you wish to put on 'rights' and 'morals' they are both man made.

nerdfiles

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 11:34 am
@click here,
click here;48671 wrote:
Actually it still is a case of obligation. The fact that you don't have an absolute obligation to do so means the same way as if some one were to say to you "Don't kill me! I have a right to live!" There is no obligation that you should abide by what he says. A lack of obligation simply is a lack of requirement to do something. They ask you not to kill them though you do not have a requirement to do as they say.

It is the same case with the person who tells you to jump of a cliff/bridge. You have no requirement to follow their command.

Since all 'human rights' are simply commands from another human you have no obligation to follow them.

To speak of obligation, as opposed to being obliged, is to speak of law. Particular commands and law-like commands distinguish two senses in which the term "obligation" can have. Being asked or commanded to jump off a bridge instantiates the sense of "being obliged." I would be obliged to jump off the bridge, in that particular instance, but it would be senseless to speak of it being my obligation to jump off the bridge. It is now a law that I jump off the bridge. When we speak of rights, we speak of legal concepts, which means we are discussing these matters within the context of law and legal systems.

Being asked to jump off a bridge, on some particular instance, has no possibility of becoming a law, for the purpose of the command itself is intrinsic to the immediate situation. I am being asked, or commanded, to jump off the bridge for some immediate reason, like to save my own life or being I've stolen from a mafia boss. This would be a particular situation. Law is not about particular situations, but ones that fit within generalizations and rules.

Would you say "It is a rule that you jump off the bridge"? What would be the reasons for such a rule? Is it a law? It is important to understand that "rights" are aspects, or products, of law. They are legal concepts. As such, it makes no sense to treat rights as if analogous to particular situations like being asked to jump off a bridge. They are categorically distinct objects of study.

Again, I might be obliged to jump off the bridge, if you demand it or if it is forced upon me, but it makes no sense to speak of my jumping off the bridge is an obligation. It is not that it is my obligation or that it is not. It is wrong-headed to speak of obligation in the legal sense (which is what rights are all about). Obligation, in the legal sense, would be the wrong concept to apply to the bridge case. It would be like arguing that "It is your duty to jump off the bridge." It's not that it is not my duty; nor is it that it is my duty. It makes no sense to speak of duty in this situation.

Quote:
You are asking what moral absolutes are? "Moral absolutism is the belief that there are absolute standards against which moral questions can be judged, and that certain actions are right..."

It's nice that you provide your understanding of what moral absolutism is about, but it should be clear that if I am contradistinguishing moral absolutism from some other concept that I have a sufficient understanding of what it is.

Quote:
I don't see where you are getting at by calling 'rights' a legal concept. Whatever title you wish to put on 'rights' and 'morals' they are both man made.

The question is whether legal concepts get their justification from moral concepts. Moral absolutism is a theory about morality. "Absolutism about rights" for the legal positivist or legal realist get their justification from something other than morality.

It is still required of you, I think, to provide an argument or evidence for why being "man made" makes being absolutist about rights an unjustified position. My criticisms thus given of your analogy show that you have not given a sufficient argument.

I made those comments about morality because you claimed that rejecting moral absolutism implies that you must also, to remain consistent, reject absolutism about rights. But my point is that this just is not so. Since "rights" are a legal concept, the standard under which a right is judged would be an "absolute" one, but that standard would not be a moral standard, since for the legal positivist or legal realist, legal concepts properly understand have no basis in morality. Thus, one could be absolutist about rights while in rejection of moral absolutism, so long as one distinguishes the legal from the moral.

If the reason for your raising your argument in the first place is because you think one cannot be in rejection of moral absolutism while in support of absolutism about rights, I think I have satisfactorily shown that your initial qualms came about because of a simply confusion about the relevant concepts.

What you must first do, that is, is establish why legal positivism is incorrect in its thesis that legal concepts can be separated from moral concepts insofar as their justification is concern. That is, legal concepts do not have justification based on moral concepts.

click here

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:41 pm
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
To speak of obligation, as opposed to being obliged, is to speak of law. Particular commands and law-like commands distinguish two senses in which the term "obligation" can have. Being asked or commanded to jump off a bridge instantiates the sense of "being obliged." I would be obliged to jump off the bridge, in that particular instance, but it would be senseless to speak of it being my obligation to jump off the bridge. It is now a law that I jump off the bridge. When we speak of rights, we speak of legal concepts, which means we are discussing these matters within the context of law and legal systems.

You must have a really odd definition of oblige... You say that you are obliged to jump of the bridge that is false. You can still choose not to jump of the bridge. You may get shot but the fact that you can choose otherwise means you are not obliged.

I don't see why you have a difficulty seeing why it is ok to say that you don't have an obligation to jump off the bridge. It doesn't matter that rights are in a 'legal' sense. Your missing my point.

The fact that they are a legal thing only means that a group of people agree upon and right it down that that is what should be done.

In my example would you then be obligated to jump off the bridge from a simple command if a large group of people all agreed that you should and wrote it down?

Lets say you are back in middle school and everyone despises you. A group of 30 kids all get together and write down on a sheet of paper and tape it do the wall saying: "nerdfiles you are commanded by us to jump off a bridge" Now we are speaking of it in the legal sense. Or do the kids have to have law degrees for it to be in the legal sense? Does the sheet of paper that says that someone has gone through higher education automatically give you the 'right' to create a set of rules that someone should be obligated to follow?

Talking of human rights in a legal sense gets you no where. It doesn't matter that it has been agreed upon that it is 'wrong' for such and such to be done. It is no different then someone who simply says to you "go jump off a bridge" The only difference is that its 1 person's opinion and they haven't written it down yet...

By your logic it is then also senseless to say that it is my obligation to respect someones command to not kill them simply because they say so. Unless your definition is that an obligation is only something that is required by a law created by a group of highly educated individuals. Though that is not the only definition of obligation. It can also mean to 'bind morally'

So it seems that you have attacked my arguement with the wrong definition..

nerdfiles wrote:

Being asked to jump off a bridge, on some particular instance, has no possibility of becoming a law, for the purpose of the command itself is intrinsic to the immediate situation. I am being asked, or commanded, to jump off the bridge for some immediate reason, like to save my own life or being I've stolen from a mafia boss. This would be a particular situation. Law is not about particular situations, but ones that fit within generalizations and rules.

Again what constitutes a law. And why should you be obligated to follow a law in the absolute sense straying away from. "you are obligated legally by definition"

nerdfiles wrote:

Would you say "It is a rule that you jump off the bridge"? What would be the reasons for such a rule? Is it a law? It is important to understand that "rights" are aspects, or products, of law. They are legal concepts. As such, it makes no sense to treat rights as if analogous to particular situations like being asked to jump off a bridge. They are categorically distinct objects of study.

They are only distinct in that one has been written down and agreed upon. That still doesn't mean that it has any more absolute authority then someones simple command to jump off a bridge. I have no absolute obligation in any situation whether that situation is a 'law' or something commanded directly from an individual. Neither has any more authority or 'right' then the other. So in both situations I am not obligated to listen to whom ever is giving the command. Unless again your definition of obligation relates to law only. If that is so then we are both chasing different targets. You would think to refute my analogy but it is only under your own defintions. Refute my analogy under my definitions (which btw aren't completely contrived) As I said earlier obligation can also speak of to bind morally. If you don't believe me check multiple dictionaries.

nerdfiles wrote:

It is still required of you, I think, to provide an argument or evidence for why being "man made" makes being absolutist about rights an unjustified position. My criticisms thus given of your analogy show that you have not given a sufficient argument.

By definition if rights are 'man made' then they are not absolute universals.

Borrowing and modifying the definition of moral absolutism:
"Universal human rights is the belief that there are absolute standards against which human rights can be extracted from."

If human rights were universal absolutes then man wouldn't create them he would recognize them.

nerdfiles wrote:

I made those comments about morality because you claimed that rejecting moral absolutism implies that you must also, to remain consistent, reject absolutism about rights. But my point is that this just is not so. Since "rights" are a legal concept, the standard under which a right is judged would be an "absolute" one, but that standard would not be a moral standard, since for the legal positivist or legal realist, legal concepts properly understand have no basis in morality. Thus, one could be absolutist about rights while in rejection of moral absolutism, so long as one distinguishes the legal from the moral.

That only works if you are talking about being absolute in the sense of the obligation to abide by the law. Then by all means you are right.

I still think you are missing the definition of absolute universal human rights. You are only defining human rights under constructs of the law. That is not universal absolute human rights. Absolutes transcend human law.

You are chasing the wrong defintions.

nerdfiles wrote:

If the reason for your raising your argument in the first place is because you think one cannot be in rejection of moral absolutism while in support of absolutism about rights, I think I have satisfactorily shown that your initial qualms came about because of a simply confusion about the relevant concepts.

I have to say that it is you that is having the confusion about the concepts being discussed.

Assess the defintions and explanations that I have used and then go from there to argue against my analogy. By creating or using different defintions you only confuse the arguement.

Zetherin

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:13 pm
@click here,
Quote:
You must have a really odd definition of oblige... You say that you are obliged to jump of the bridge that is false. You can still choose not to jump of the bridge. You may get shot but the fact that you can choose otherwise means you are not obliged
Oblige: to compel someone by legal, moral, or physical means to do something

You can compel someone to jump off a bridge. The mere fact you can choose either way does not mean you aren't obliged if someone holds a gun to your head -- of course you would be!

Quote:

I still think you are missing the definition of absolute universal human rights. You are only defining human rights under constructs of the law. That is not universal absolute human rights. Absolutes transcend human law.
I think this is the problem: You don't understand that moral absolutism is a mete-ethical view, not a fundamental objective notion of morality. It is simply an interpretation of morality.

You say:

Quote:
They are only distinct in that one has been written down and agreed upon. That still doesn't mean that it has any more absolute authority then someones simple command to jump off a bridge. I have no absolute obligation in any situation whether that situation is a 'law' or something commanded directly from an individual. Neither has any more authority or 'right' then the other. So in both situations I am not obligated to listen to whom ever is giving the command.
Again, the mere fact that you have choice does not mean you cannot be obliged. To oblige does not mean to force but to compel. Law, in addition to your own moral values, could be obligation enough to listen to another giving a command. What exactly is an "absolute" obligation? Even if the obligation was agreed upon universally, we would still run into the same problem, no? So, by "absolute", you are implying there is some higher force transcending all human thought -- an "ultimate reason" for doing something? To humor you, even if there was an "ultimate reason", we would still feel obligation, and could still choose to defy it, could we not? It would be no different than a construct of man in this respect. So, what's your point?

nerdfiles

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:22 pm
@click here,
Let's try this.

If you say, "Jump of the bridge, now" to Smith, this would be a particular command. Smith would be obliged to follow your command, but it is still the case that "being obliged" does not entail that one do it. Being obliged still leaves open one's capacity to go against it.

All that I wish to point out is that "being obliged" and "having an obligation" highlight two different senses of "obligation" insofar as rights are concern.

Firstly, I am not choosing to talk of rights in a legal sense. "Right" is by definition a legal term. Rights are conferred by law. "Right" is a term of art, a piece of jargon, in legal discourse. When we talk of rights, it is by definition, that we are talking about legal systems. When we speak of legal systems, we speak of law. Laws make rights possible.

To be obliged or to have an obligation does not mean that one must obey it. It is simply to say that the party that requires the action expects it to come about. I am not at all saying that one must do this or that. I am arguing for a distinction between two senses of "obligation." What I am trying to show you is that the "particular case of obligation" is categorically different from the "general case of obligation."

The example you give, of issuing a command to jump off a bridge, is a particular case of obligation. The concept of "rights" is not to be understood, and cannot be supported or undermined, by analogy from the particular case of obligation because rights are by definition produced by law. It makes no sense to speak of rights outside of law because law create rights. Laws are by definition general. "Jump off the bridge" is particular; "respect the property of your fellow man" is general.

I am not at all saying that "so long as many assent to it, then you must do it." I am merely trying to tell you that your analogy is inappropriate. It presupposes a sense of obligation (applied to the particular) that is not presupposed when we speak of rights (which are applications of the general, because they by definition are created through law).

Talk of "how many people decide on it" is irrelevant. Talk of "a group of highly educated individuals" is irrelevant. Rights can be conferred by a monarch, an aristocracy, or a democracy. I am talking abou the definition of "right." A right is produced by a law. Anyone can produce a law, so long as it is intended to be a law (intended to be applied to the general case, not the particular case).

"Do not park you car in my drive-way" is not a law. It is a command. You are obliged to obey it, so far as I am concerned, but you need not obey it. That does not change the fact that I expect you to; as the speaker of that utterance, I take it that you are obligated to obey it. But I do not intend for you to understand me as "establishing a law" on my own accord. Thus, I am not establishing any right of my own by my command or wish. I might appeal to property law (which is a kind of right), but I am not at the same time making a law between us. I am telling you what not to do within a particular case. If I decide to take my particular case to my city council to have it applied to all citizens within my county, it would then become a law, if passed, applying to the general case. "No one should park their car in some others drive-way, etc". It would be an obligation in the general case because it is intended to apply to no particular person.

The point is: If you do not obey my particular command, this by no means affects the general command. Your disobeying my particular command has absolutely nothing to do with the general command because you are obligated to obey my particular command in a radically different sense from how you're obligated to obey the general command.

Rights are general, regardless of their being agreed upon, passed, rejected, inactive, active; regardless of the number who assent. The point is they presuppose a sense of obligation that is general.

Wishes, requests, commands presuppose a sense of obligation that is particular and not intended to be law. Thus, showing that I need not obey a particular command is to show something categorically different from why I should not obey a general command. If I express a particular desire that you do X, you are obligated to me in the particular case. It makes no sense to speak of your "right" to disobey. You don't have a right to disobey me in any sense other than you have the right to appeal to the law, which confer your rights, to undermine my desire. You might say, "Look, your desire goes against my conferred rights by law. Thus, I do not have to do it."

If my wish does not go against the law, and you still disobey, you have not exerted any right of yours. A child, when he tells his parent, "I will not clean my room right now, father!" has not expressed a right of his. He has simply disobeyed. The child does not have an obligation to some "law of the house"; he simply had an obligation to the wish of his parent. Since no law of the house exists, he exerted no "right" because there are no rights to speak of. Thus, his obligation was not to some law, but only to some particular wish.

click here

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:31 pm
@Zetherin,
This entire thread is riddled with bad definitions.

Zetherin wrote:
Oblige: to compel someone by legal, moral, or physical means to do something

You can compel someone to jump off a bridge. The mere fact you can choose either way does not mean you aren't obliged if someone holds a gun to your head -- of course you would be!

Definition of Compel:
1. to force or drive, esp. to a course of action: His disregard of the rules compels us to dismiss him.
2. to secure or bring about by force.
3. to force to submit; subdue.
4. to overpower

So again, NO you would not be obliged to jump off a bridge if someone points a gun to your head as you are not being forced or overpowered to do so. You can still choose not to do so.

Zetherin wrote:

I think this is the problem: You don't understand that moral absolutism is a mete-ethical view, not a fundamental objective notion of morality. It is simply an interpretation of morality.

No because if moral absolutism is true then it is no longer an interpretation is is a fact.
So if universal human rights are true then it is also not an interpretation of the world it is a fact.
So in our debate if we assume that is is true then we are viewing it no longer as an interpretation but as a fact.

Zetherin wrote:

You say:

Again, the mere fact that you have choice does not mean you cannot be obliged. To oblige does not mean to force but to compel.

Again really bad definition here. Compel and force are the same, see above.

Zetherin wrote:

Law, in addition to your own moral values, could be obligation enough to listen to another giving a command. What exactly is an "absolute" obligation? Even if the obligation was agreed upon universally, we would still run into the same problem, no? So, by "absolute", you are implying there is some higher force transcending all human thought -- an "ultimate reason" for doing something? To humor you, even if there was an "ultimate reason", we would still feel obligation, and could still choose to defy it, could we not? It would be no different than a construct of man in this respect. So, what's your point?

That is what we are discussing! We are discussing it as a higher force that transcends human thought! It is just that some people aren't getting what 'universal absolute human rights' means. I thought in the last thread I had that it was agreed upon that that was a clear definition of what I was trying to convey.

Yes of course we could defy it but that is not the point. It is different then a construct of man because it then should be followed.

My point is that there are people that say that humans have rights that 'should be absolutely followed'. I say that they are wrong.

click here

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:45 pm
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
Let's try this.

If you say, "Jump of the bridge, now" to Smith, this would be a particular command. Smith would be obliged to follow your command, but it is still the case that "being obliged" does not entail that one do it. Being obliged still leaves open one's capacity to go against it.

All that I wish to point out is that "being obliged" and "having an obligation" highlight two different senses of "obligation" insofar as rights are concern.

Firstly, I am not choosing to talk of rights in a legal sense. "Right" is by definition a legal term. Rights are conferred by law. "Right" is a term of art, a piece of jargon, in legal discourse. When we talk of rights, it is by definition, that we are talking about legal systems. When we speak of legal systems, we speak of law. Laws make rights possible.

To be obliged or to have an obligation does not mean that one must obey it. It is simply to say that the party that requires the action expects it to come about. I am not at all saying that one must do this or that. I am arguing for a distinction between two senses of "obligation." What I am trying to show you is that the "particular case of obligation" is categorically different from the "general case of obligation."

The example you give, of issuing a command to jump off a bridge, is a particular case of obligation. The concept of "rights" is not to be understood, and cannot be supported or undermined, by analogy from the particular case of obligation because rights are by definition produced by law. It makes no sense to speak of rights outside of law because law create rights. Laws are by definition general. "Jump off the bridge" is particular; "respect the property of your fellow man" is general.

I am not at all saying that "so long as many assent to it, then you must do it." I am merely trying to tell you that your analogy is inappropriate. It presupposes a sense of obligation (applied to the particular) that is not presupposed when we speak of rights (which are applications of the general, because they by definition are created through law).

Talk of "how many people decide on it" is irrelevant. Talk of "a group of highly educated individuals" is irrelevant. Rights can be conferred by a monarch, an aristocracy, or a democracy. I am talking abou the definition of "right." A right is produced by a law. Anyone can produce a law, so long as it is intended to be a law (intended to be applied to the general case, not the particular case).

"Do not park you car in my drive-way" is not a law. It is a command. You are obliged to obey it, so far as I am concerned, but you need not obey it. That does not change the fact that I expect you to; as the speaker of that utterance, I take it that you are obligated to obey it. But I do not intend for you to understand me as "establishing a law" on my own accord. Thus, I am not establishing any right of my own by my command or wish. I might appeal to property law (which is a kind of right), but I am not at the same time making a law between us. I am telling you what not to do within a particular case. If I decide to take my particular case to my city council to have it applied to all citizens within my county, it would then become a law, if passed, applying to the general case. "No one should park their car in some others drive-way, etc". It would be an obligation in the general case because it is intended to apply to no particular person.

The point is: If you do not obey my particular command, this by no means affects the general command. Your disobeying my particular command has absolutely nothing to do with the general command because you are obligated to obey my particular command in a radically different sense from how you're obligated to obey the general command.

Rights are general, regardless of their being agreed upon, passed, rejected, inactive, active; regardless of the number who assent. The point is they presuppose a sense of obligation that is general.

Wishes, requests, commands presuppose a sense of obligation that is particular and not intended to be law. Thus, showing that I need not obey a particular command is to show something categorically different from why I should not obey a general command. If I express a particular desire that you do X, you are obligated to me in the particular case. It makes no sense to speak of your "right" to disobey. You don't have a right to disobey me in any sense other than you have the right to appeal to the law, which confer your rights, to undermine my desire. You might say, "Look, your desire goes against my conferred rights by law. Thus, I do not have to do it."

If my wish does not go against the law, and you still disobey, you have not exerted any right of yours. A child, when he tells his parent, "I will not clean my room right now, father!" has not expressed a right of his. He has simply disobeyed. The child does not have an obligation to some "law of the house"; he simply had an obligation to the wish of his parent. Since no law of the house exists, he exerted no "right" because there are no rights to speak of. Thus, his obligation was not to some law, but only to some particular wish.

nerdfiles wrote:

When we talk of rights, it is by definition, that we are talking about legal systems.

And there enlies the problem. You again are using the wrong definition. I am not speaking of just regular old rights. I am speaking of absolute universal transcendental rights.

My example is only wrong if we except your definition of rights.

There really is no point of me deconstructing your response as you have it all based on the wrong definition. We really need to straighten that out before we continue. So before you type your next long response lets come to an agreement on some definitions as this is becoming pointless.

nerdfiles

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:47 pm
@click here,
Quote:
No because if moral absolutism is true then it is no longer an interpretation is is a fact.

First, I'm not even really sure what you mean by this, or what you could mean by it. Second, to show that it is a fact, you assume that it is a fact?

Of fact, something being true is a fact. But this is tautological. Are you talking past him?

"If X is true, then X is a fact." Equally, "If X is a fact, then X is true."

If someone calls X an interpretation, stating that it is a true fact does not bring into question whether it is an interpretation. Interpretations can be true or false. Their truth or falsity does not make them cease to be interpretations.

nerdfiles

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:48 pm
@click here,
click here;48697 wrote:
And there enlies the problem. You again are using the wrong definition. I am not speaking of just regular old rights. I am speaking of absolute universal transcendental rights.

My example is only wrong if we except your definition of rights.

There really is no point of me deconstructing your response as you have it all based on the wrong definition. We really need to straighten that out before we continue. So before you type your next long response lets come to an agreement on some definitions as this is becoming pointless.

It is not my definition and any particular definition of "rights." Rights are conferred by laws. It's not that rights are "legal" or "moral" or "innate." It's that rights are general; and when we speak of generality, we speak of law. Thus, law confers rights.

Now your conception of "law" might be underpinned by natural law theory or legal positivism. But this is irrelevant to whether rights are general or particular. Rights are by definition general, regardless of the definition of law that you accept. There is no such this as a "right to not jump off the bridge."

Telling me that they are "transcendental" and "absolute" does not make your particular case any more coherent. I am telling you that obligation has two senses, if not more. One is of the particular (your example), and the other is of the general (rights). The general case cannot be analogous to the particular because it depends on a different sense of obligation: general obligation.

If I say, "I am obliged to law to do X" this means something general because the law speaks to a set of conditions, antecedents, precedent, etc.

If I say, "I am obliged to Bob, my neighbor, to do X" this means something radically different. It means that either Bob is compelling me, asking me as a friend, demanding, hold me for ransom, etc.

Rights are about law. Obligation to jump of a bridge is about something very different. It makes no sense to say that I had the right to no jump off the bridge. But you can appeal to rights to not jump of the bridge, just in case the demand that you do so is against the law. But if not against the law, it makes no sense to speak of rights. It's not that you do or do not have the right. A particular desire does not, on its own, instantiate law; thus, no right is present.

If you say "it is my right as a human bring to not be treated this way," all you mean is "please, treat me with some dignity" or "hey, the rules of social decorum suggest that what you ask is taboo." You don't literally mean rights.

Which leads me to my further point, which I think is central to this issue. "Innate rights" or "natural rights" presuppose natural law theory. If you accept natural law theory, then the questions you ask are meaningful. But if you are a legal positivist, your question makes no sense. "Innate absolute transcendental forever binding rights" are simply nonsense to the legal positivist.

To the legal positivist, rejecting to jump of the bridge cannot have anything to do with rights. And this is a disagreement about definition. The point is: I understand what you definition you employ (it's a tenet of natural law theory), but I am telling you that it is false. Your question presupposes that definition, and thus a particular sense to "rights." I do not misunderstand you. I understand you and fully disagree. I think that your question, and your counterexample, are senseless (because I accept legal positivism, which holds a particular definition of "rights").

I should have been more explicit about my definition. Instead, I have been attempting to show you what your definition is (it's natural law theory), and why it is wrong. I think, in a thread about rights, we should not be talking about morality at all unless we have satisfactorily shown that natural law theory is true. (Your question, however, presupposes its truth. I am here to tell you that I think it is false, and this is why it is frustrating, I am sure, that I seem to be dodging your question or misconstruing it.)

xris

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 02:01 pm
@nerdfiles,
I dont think changing the thread has produced the desired result..Im sorry but i cant get the point of this in the slightest... not one post has made the slightest inny twiinny bit of sense...am i alone ?am i the only one?...I asked twenty years ago what is or should be Human rights....define human.. define rights..Is it the right to impose.. expect... demand or is it some ethereal right floating in the ether..

nerdfiles

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 02:17 pm
@xris,
xris;48703 wrote:
I dont think changing the thread has produced the desired result..Im sorry but i cant get the point of this in the slightest... not one post has made the slightest inny twiinny bit of sense...am i alone ?am i the only one?...I asked twenty years ago what is or should be Human rights....define human.. define rights..Is it the right to impose.. expect... demand or is it some ethereal right floating in the ether..

Well, is it that you cannot follow us? I think we're doing some serious philosophizing here. We're disagreeing on definitions, giving examples, counterexamples, analysis, etc.

"Human right" is simply that kind of right which applies to human beings that is expressed within some legal system. The legal system need not be "on paper," as it were, but the right itself must be determined and known by some legal body within its system. Thus, a right is conferred or produced by law.

A "natural right" or an "innate right" is nothing more than a metaphor or a turn-of-phrase. It doesn't literally mean that we have rights outside of legal systems. Talk of these kinds of rights is an attempt to appeal to cultural or social conventions. It is not necessary that they be justified on moral grounds, but they can be. "Natural rights" are not necessarily "moral rights." They are simply conventional, social understandings between persons.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 12:51:41