Eugenics-your opinions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 11:46 am
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
Sure we should have a severe loss. But maybe we have had millions of severe loses over the centuries.

I'm feeling we both are speaking about the same thing, but with an different accent. We both feel eugenics is wrong in the ways it has been executed by certain regimes. However eugenics can also be used in a more ethical way by taking away the source of the problem. Thereby preventing it from happening.

I actually mentioned prevention, and I wonder if it truly can be regarded as moral. Also, to raise somthing of a sub-issue here, is it sensible? Genetics is a highly complex and delicate field, and it may be that by narrowing the Human genetic code, we destroy our capacity to produce brilliant people.

Vasska

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 12:43 pm
@avatar6v7,
I actually mentioned prevention, and I wonder if it truly can be regarded as moral. Also, to raise somthing of a sub-issue here, is it sensible? Genetics is a highly complex and delicate field, and it may be that by narrowing the Human genetic code, we destroy our capacity to produce brilliant people.

Genetics of course is complex. But if we don't try we would never get anywhere. It's ethical yes. Sensible, yes. In a way at least. Say and i'm making assumtions that you have parts of your DNA structure that are quite irrelevant and only stil there because it has to remove itself steadily by evolution. But maybe this part of DNA causes 90% of all diseases, and limits our knowledge to an IQ of 200. If we remove it it's sensible.

The otherway round, that part of DNA could also be responsible for our brains. Removal isn't so sensible anymore. We can narrow our genetic code. But as they always say; less is more.

Still we are talking decades ahead of our times before genetic modification of humans really takes of.

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 09:09 am
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
Genetics of course is complex. But if we don't try we would never get anywhere. It's ethical yes. Sensible, yes. In a way at least. Say and i'm making assumtions that you have parts of your DNA structure that are quite irrelevant and only stil there because it has to remove itself steadily by evolution. But maybe this part of DNA causes 90% of all diseases, and limits our knowledge to an IQ of 200. If we remove it it's sensible.

The otherway round, that part of DNA could also be responsible for our brains. Removal isn't so sensible anymore. We can narrow our genetic code. But as they always say; less is more.

Still we are talking decades ahead of our times before genetic modification of humans really takes of.

but genetic modification using breeding is what is proposed by eugenics, and by sterilizing(i.e. removing the genetic input of) those we regard as 'undesirable' could potentially do unforseen harm.

Vasska

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 11:34 am
@avatar6v7,
but genetic modification using breeding is what is proposed by eugenics, and by sterilizing(i.e. removing the genetic input of) those we regard as 'undesirable' could potentially do unforseen harm.

Yes. But so does everything.

Guess Eugenics doesn't care to much. it thinks it does right, while it can be doing wrong for the next generation that misses dna structure.

Eugenics can help a cause, but by no means is an answer to it.

Joe

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 02:38 pm
@Vasska,
Eugenics, Seems like another form of human curiosity. Where you take it from there............

If abortion is Eugenics, then it is self evident, that a moral dilemma rises. Obvious, i know. But where does the bottom line of Eugenics come from? I would say human curiosity and willingness.

Arguments made after this, rests in individualism and acceptance. Comparison also is a natural statement.

My main question is, With growing examples in this field, how does it apply to a better human condition?

lol, good luck with that one. But It is a balancing scale. The best points, I imagine, would be made with the heavier subjects.

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:54 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
Eugenics, Seems like another form of human curiosity. Where you take it from there............

If abortion is Eugenics, then it is self evident, that a moral dilemma rises. Obvious, i know. But where does the bottom line of Eugenics come from? I would say human curiosity and willingness.

Arguments made after this, rests in individualism and acceptance. Comparison also is a natural statement.

I don't understand what you mean by 'curiosity and willingness', as surely in narrowing the human genetic structure to fit a norm, Eugenics is the very opposite.
Joe wrote:

My main question is, With growing examples in this field, how does it apply to a better human condition?

It doesn't?:sarcastic:

William

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 07:00 pm
@avatar6v7,
Perhaps I am missing something here. Is there anyone who honestly thinks the motives behind eugenics is altruistic? I have always held the notion that science is for sale to the highest bidder and extreme little thought is given regarding long term repercussions as profits rule the roost. Scientist's got to eat to as any notion of ethics goes sailing out the window. Now don't beat me up here, not "all scientists" fall under this perception of mine. I realize that. Which means not all scientists are ethical. They are hired to do a job. As I have always maintained at some point in time even the most altruistic developments of science fall into the wrong hands.

Hell, here we are on the one hand perplexed as to world population and science gives us Viagara? At some point someone will have to sit down and determine who will be able to "qualify" for those benefits this technology offers as I am reasonably sure you will not be able to go to your closest Wal-Mart and get your "genetic enhancement" kit.
Please, I realize I may be interpreting this wrong, and if so, will someone please set me straight. As I read the dialog, it seems most are undetermined as to "Yea or Nay" to this technology. I am just trying to bring it down to the reality of if and where it will lead, which in my mind all thoughts lead to "no good" as it relates to the reality we are living in. You know that reality that determines a persons value by how much money he has in his pocket. That one. :perplexed:
William

Doobah47

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 07:59 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The use of the term eugenics is debatable. For example, the thread starter calls abortion eugenics, but this use of the term is highly controversial.

Perhaps we should hammer down what the word means and move from there.

To be honest does that not pose the obvious yet interesting interpretative juxtaposition thus similarity between this "hammering down" - quasi-definitive motion - and deciding the arrangements made prior to conception? Of course it does!

Eugenics is logically a fundamental aspect of all chemical reactions (at least if we remove the "human" from the established definition) - attraction, gravitation, compatibility, etc. I do think that logical, and linguistically reasonable compatibility is invariably false though. So I would oppose any particularly strict eugenic systems. Yet at times I do wonder about the notion of permanent yet retractable contraception - so that any child is conceived after a considered decision, regardless of the passion or spontonaeity influencing the decision, although perhaps not quite totally regardless. I would oppose this idea though, and leave it to be a considered choice for an educated person to make - the estranged damage this could cause to the natural cycle could be so thoroughly perplexing that it leave humans (or perhaps oppressed groups) stranded and incapable of reproduction, which is unfair and not going to happen any time soon...

Joe

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 09:05 pm
@avatar6v7,
I don't understand what you mean by 'curiosity and willingness', as surely in narrowing the human genetic structure to fit a norm, Eugenics is the very opposite.

Hey avatar

I mention those structures to bring up, what everyone thinks are the walls, blocking Eugenics from becoming widely approached.

I know it applies to physical improvement for us. But I also am interested in how eugenics, asks us to maybe look at the big picture, in a whole new spectrum. I'm hoping you have some basic sounds on this. thanks.

You ever stop to think, and forget to start again?Laughing

Aedes

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 09:32 pm
@Vasska,
Vasska;37078 wrote:
Handicapped people by no means are a waste of skin like some people want us to believe, but still they are a burden to modern society.
If you've ever loved someone, you can envision the counterargument: that protecting and caring for the people we love is integral to our happiness as families and individuals, and it is therefore in the state's interest to support that. Not everything comes down to the balance sheet.

We can do this two ways -- we can either NOT screen for cystic fibrosis, sickle cell, down syndrome, etc, and let these kids be born and die anyway -- or we can screen for them, institute some early interventions (mostly NOT limited to pregnancy termination) so that they have productive and healthier lives.

And you know, sickle cell disease has arisen 5 times independently in Africa because of the advantage heterozygotes have against malaria. It's a pretty sloppy genetic solution to a problem that on a population level is far more devastating.

So in the US and in Europe, where endemic malaria has been all but gone for 50 years, is there any advantage to a higher gene frequency of the sickle cell gene? Knowing how bad sickle cell is, there has to be UNBELIEVABLE selective pressure from malaria in order for that disease to independently arise 5 times. (This is known by linkage analysis of sickle cell haplotypes in African populations).

Vasska

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:21 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
If you've ever loved someone, you can envision the counterargument: that protecting and caring for the people we love is integral to our happiness as families and individuals, and it is therefore in the state's interest to support that. Not everything comes down to the balance sheet.

I never said anything about this being my opinion on the matter, so I find it hard to place your comment in my line of thought.

The point being (somewhat poorly) illustrated by me was that people who don't know the handicapped often find them a burden and troublesome. Whether this comes from their experiences, annoyance or anything else.

At least this is what I notice in my current Dutch society in the big cities like Amsterdam, The Hague and smaller ones. The more countryside cities are somewhat more humane to say so.

The other side of the story, which is the counterargument you provide, the story is different of course. The (handicapped) people are loved despite their "shortcomings". Which is good of course.

The investment of the state is something to be discussed. Most states only want strong, healthy and educated people. Eugenic programs don't really work this well in modern countries anymore so they'll have to accept it and live with it.

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 01:00 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

A view that I would agree with.
Aedes wrote:

We can do this two ways -- we can either NOT screen for cystic fibrosis, sickle cell, down syndrome, etc, and let these kids be born and die anyway -- or we can screen for them, institute some early interventions (mostly NOT limited to pregnancy termination) so that they have productive and healthier lives.

And you know, sickle cell disease has arisen 5 times independently in Africa because of the advantage heterozygotes have against malaria. It's a pretty sloppy genetic solution to a problem that on a population level is far more devastating.

So in the US and in Europe, where endemic malaria has been all but gone for 50 years, is there any advantage to a higher gene frequency of the sickle cell gene? Knowing how bad sickle cell is, there has to be UNBELIEVABLE selective pressure from malaria in order for that disease to independently arise 5 times. (This is known by linkage analysis of sickle cell haplotypes in African populations).

I am not saying that we should not intervene at all in our genetic make-up, as natural evolution may well have stopped for us, however I would be suspicious of solutions that are overly crude and destructive- in this case the elimination of sections of the human genetic code. That is disregarding the moral side of the argument.

Aedes

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 01:13 pm
@avatar6v7,
Evolution will never ever ever stop for us, whatever we do to the genome, and that's for one specific reason: conditions change. Populations change, so mating habits and gene frequencies change. Environmental conditions and resources change. Old pathogens and poisons go away and new ones appear. And we aren't going to have a genetic answer for everything.

read

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 12:28 am
@Aedes,
Genetic evolution has not stopped, but it has been superseded by a different kind of evolution, the evolution of the information we teach and learn. Our learned behavior now makes a much bigger difference than our inborn behavior in almost all human endeavors, reproduction included. While the information of genetic evolution is contained entirely within our genes, the information of didactic evolution is diffuse, contained in our minds, our books and hard drives, the designs of our houses and schools, layouts of our cities, etc - in our culture. While even the smallest change in genetic information requires a reproductive cycle, didactic information can be changed as fast as it can be spoken and heard, written and read.

Our primate ancestors were like people standing still on a moving walkway at an airport, along for the ride at about 2 mph, occasionally taking a step forward. Today, we're sprinting along the walkway at 20 mph, and it almost doesn't matter whether or not the walkway itself is moving at all. Eugenics and genetic engineering are when we start tinkering with the walkway.

I realize this analogy is ripe for misinterpretation. Evolution (genetic or didactic) is not a steady, linear progression toward any specific goal. It is a random, branching process with lots of dead ends and backtracking. And of course, evolution has no awareness of any goal by which we observers might choose to define "forward" or "backward" progress. Nonetheless, genetic and didactic evolution have both made forward progress toward the goal of increased complexity.

I'll use "genetic manipulation" as a blanket term for voluntary eugenics (you choose your mate based on genetic profile, if you want) and voluntary genetic engineering. So, what are the issues surrounding genetic manipulation, in terms of tinkering with a conveyor belt at the airport?

1) Where should the new conveyor belt be going? What goal should we have for our genetic manipulation? There are some controversial goals, but I think there are also a few goals most of us can agree on, such as reducing disease. I'm referring to the issue of goal independent of implementation; perhaps by reducing our susceptibility to one disease, we'll increase our susceptibility to another, worse disease, but the goal of reducing disease is still noble. What should our goals be, assuming we can implement them effectively?

Personally, in addition to reducing disease, I think we should be improving intelligence, strength, etc. I'm always surprised at how controversial this is. Considered as a goal in and of itself, why should we not be stronger, smarter, etc? This brings me to the next issue.

2) Who gets to ride the new conveyor belt and who gets stuck on the old one? The obvious answer, at least at first, is the wealthy get the boosted genes and the poor don't. This is certainly unfair, but look at it this way: which is better?

A) some people get boosted and some don't
B) no one gets boosted

Personally, I think A is better. The wealthy always get the new technology first, and it's always unfair, but eventually the poor end up getting the technology also, be it vaccinations, cars, computers, etc. Perhaps at first only the super rich will be able to afford designer genes, but eventually so will the middle class, and perhaps eventually it will be as simple as passing out "intelligence boosters" along with the immunizations given as aid to 3rd world countries. Also, there will be a gradual diffusion of designer genes, because sometimes the wealthy mate with the less wealthy, who sometimes mate with the less wealthy, ... , who sometimes mate with the poor.

I can see the argument for B - the size of the gap between wealthy and poor is proportional to the degree to which the wealthy can take advantage of the poor and make their lives worse, and genetic manipulation would be one more wedge to widen that gap. I won't argue with that now. But consider the overwhelmingly positive effect technology has had on human quality of life over the history of our species. (This is a whole other discussion, and if you want to debate this, you should probably start a whole other thread.)

Ideally, wealth would be distributed equitably, and perhaps someday it will be. But pragmatically, throughout history thus far, there has always been a wealthy minority and a poor majority, and the former has always taken advantage of the latter. And nonetheless, average quality of life for both groups has improved over the course of time - the disparity between rich and poor does not negate the benefit a new technology provides for both. Perhaps this amounts to no more than a vague impression that "technology is good", but I find this more sensible than the converse.

3) Will people get motion sickness on the new conveyor belt? Certainly, there will be unexpected side effects to genetic manipulation, some negative, some positive. If we increase the rate of our genetic evolution to anything near the rate of our didactic evolution, the human race and human nature will change in profound and unpredictable ways. Scary, and exciting.

Joe

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 12:48 am
@read,
|read| wrote:
Genetic evolution has not stopped, but it has been superseded by a different kind of evolution, the evolution of the information we teach and learn. Our learned behavior now makes a much bigger difference than our inborn behavior in almost all human endeavors, reproduction included. While the information of genetic evolution is contained entirely within our genes, the information of didactic evolution is diffuse, contained in our minds, our books and hard drives, the designs of our houses and schools, layouts of our cities, etc - in our culture. While even the smallest change in genetic information requires a reproductive cycle, didactic information can be changed as fast as it can be spoken and heard, written and read.

Our primate ancestors were like people standing still on a moving walkway at an airport, along for the ride at about 2 mph, occasionally taking a step forward. Today, we're sprinting along the walkway at 20 mph, and it almost doesn't matter whether or not the walkway itself is moving at all. Eugenics and genetic engineering are when we start tinkering with the walkway.

I realize this analogy is ripe for misinterpretation. Evolution (genetic or didactic) is not a steady, linear progression toward any specific goal. It is a random, branching process with lots of dead ends and backtracking. And of course, evolution has no awareness of any goal by which we observers might choose to define "forward" or "backward" progress. Nonetheless, genetic and didactic evolution have both made forward progress toward the goal of increased complexity.

I'll use "genetic manipulation" as a blanket term for voluntary eugenics (you choose your mate based on genetic profile, if you want) and voluntary genetic engineering. So, what are the issues surrounding genetic manipulation, in terms of tinkering with a conveyor belt at the airport?

1) Where should the new conveyor belt be going? What goal should we have for our genetic manipulation? There are some controversial goals, but I think there are also a few goals most of us can agree on, such as reducing disease. I'm referring to the issue of goal independent of implementation; perhaps by reducing our susceptibility to one disease, we'll increase our susceptibility to another, worse disease, but the goal of reducing disease is still noble. What should our goals be, assuming we can implement them effectively?

Personally, in addition to reducing disease, I think we should be improving intelligence, strength, etc. I'm always surprised at how controversial this is. Considered as a goal in and of itself, why should we not be stronger, smarter, etc? This brings me to the next issue.

2) Who gets to ride the new conveyor belt and who gets stuck on the old one? The obvious answer, at least at first, is the wealthy get the boosted genes and the poor don't. This is certainly unfair, but look at it this way: which is better?

A) some people get boosted and some don't
B) no one gets boosted

Personally, I think A is better. The wealthy always get the new technology first, and it's always unfair, but eventually the poor end up getting the technology also, be it vaccinations, cars, computers, etc. Perhaps at first only the super rich will be able to afford designer genes, but eventually so will the middle class, and perhaps eventually it will be as simple as passing out "intelligence boosters" along with the immunizations given as aid to 3rd world countries. Also, there will be a gradual diffusion of designer genes, because sometimes the wealthy mate with the less wealthy, who sometimes mate with the less wealthy, ... , who sometimes mate with the poor.

I can see the argument for B - the size of the gap between wealthy and poor is proportional to the degree to which the wealthy can take advantage of the poor and make their lives worse, and genetic manipulation would be one more wedge to widen that gap. I won't argue with that now. But consider the overwhelmingly positive effect technology has had on human quality of life over the history of our species. (This is a whole other discussion, and if you want to debate this, you should probably start a whole other thread.)

Ideally, wealth would be distributed equitably, and perhaps someday it will be. But pragmatically, throughout history thus far, there has always been a wealthy minority and a poor majority, and the former has always taken advantage of the latter. And nonetheless, average quality of life for both groups has improved over the course of time - the disparity between rich and poor does not negate the benefit a new technology provides for both. Perhaps this amounts to no more than a vague impression that "technology is good", but I find this more sensible than the converse.

3) Will people get motion sickness on the new conveyor belt? Certainly, there will be unexpected side effects to genetic manipulation, some negative, some positive. If we increase the rate of our genetic evolution to anything near the rate of our didactic evolution, the human race and human nature will change in profound and unpredictable ways. Scary, and exciting.

I agree with alot of what you've stated. Your post made me think about somethings.

I guess the most important concern that i have is, Are we separating the rich and the poor, the advanced and the primitive, so much that we eventually end at a point where people will consider what a life is worthy off and if it should be competitive to merely live?

I admit these questions will never stop us in our tracks for some major reflection as a society, but based on the demands of resources from the few that over bear on the many, It seems there are fundamental flaws in our social structure that would make these finds and discoveries more dangerous then beneficial.

If i had to explain myself in a short way, i would say that we are jumping from pillar to pillar, escalating higher. But it seems in which the methods we are using and learning to use, there are people falling off needlessly, and much more to follow. The ego is often debated on whether it is a human flaw. But i think people will agree its mostly debated from the selfish side. When will the tables change, if only to return to finding a balance again. Whatever is going on now, I know there is no balance in it.

Fido

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 09:36 pm
@avatar6v7,
In the earliar half of the twentiath century Eugenics was official government policy not just in nations like Nazi Germany but also in every major western nation, including the USA and Britian. Few at the time opposed it, and it was only after the horrors of world war II and its links with the halocaust that it was stopped. Now with genetic engineering on humans a realistic concept, abortions of disabled babies and euthanasia, we are looking at an admitidally less autharatarian, but nevertheless real, form of eugenics emerging again.
So in its old context was it evil? Unscientific?
What of this new form? Is it better? But still morally questionable? Is it more informed?
I think that this modern version is at root no better, but I would be intersted in your views.

Negative, please...

Abolitionist

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 06:34 am
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
Eugenics has gotten a pretty bad name due to the misinterpretation, misuse and misunderstanding of it. Eugenics, Darwinism and Nietszche's Ubermench have all been called the root of Nazism, or any other "non-moral" group that is active this day and age. But neither of them are primarily bad.

Eugenics in it's own way does not endorse genocide, etnocide, infanticide or other form of killing selected groups of people, like Hitler killed the Jews, and the shootout in Mumbai recently was primary on foreigners. However it is often used in this form by facists, racists and militia or government and thats why eugenics is highly ethical these days.

Eugenics is a highly moral and ethical debate. Who are we to choose who's to live and die for the sake of human advancement. But still I think eugenics should be taken, and considered as serious business.

The risks are high, but the payouts can be even higher. What if by using eugenics we create a new human superrace with IQ's of 189 points and up, immune for the terminal deceases like cancer and as a bonus leaving a smaller carbon footprint on the earth. It would be a great advancement for humans, and not much different from evolution. Humans and superhumans can live side by side, until finaly we have a mix that is better than the averages we have now.

The mindless killing that has been called eugenics to this day was primarily just people feeling better than others. I feel like i'm shifting towards transhumanism.

I'm with you. Eugenics itself is blameless just like science itself is ethically neutral.

Today we have the wisdom to distinguish between medically defined bad genes and culturally defined bad genes.

Fido

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 10:03 am
@avatar6v7,
What we do not have is the wisdom to be certain that a bad gene will not in some sense be associated with a benfitial quality... Since humans do no know what nature will throw at us we need to be prepared for anything... That does not mean we should let something like diabetes run rampant in society, but rather, invest in discouraging breeding of ill people, which is no mean feat...

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:41 am
@Fido,
Part of my problem is that as much happiness as eliminating, say, diabetes would cause, how much misery would the cure of eugenics lead to? Indeed this is my entire objection to a teleological view of ethics. How can the end justify the means, when ultimatly you are adding more pain and suffering to the universe. Unless your means are in line with your ends, then you are being self defeating. In the case of eugenics, preventing people who love each other from having children is gross and unatural, with the result of destroying freedom and creating misery. You may have less diabetes, but you have another problem instead. Sure on a permanent basis it won't last, but if it is a lifetime of regret, then that is like saying- your entire life will suck but your grandchild won't have a child with a medical condition that by then might be curable. That doesn't sound great to me. Rather like communism, eugenics sounds great in theory, if you consider only the end result, and not the problems, misery and pain that come inbetween.

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:44 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
What we do not have is the wisdom to be certain that a bad gene will not in some sense be associated with a benfitial quality... Since humans do no know what nature will throw at us we need to be prepared for anything... That does not mean we should let something like diabetes run rampant in society, but rather, invest in discouraging breeding of ill people, which is no mean feat...

so you'd rather prevent 'ill people' from breeding rather than screen for known bad genes that cause disease in all cases?

the scientific community has unanimously identified a long list of known bad genes that don't do anyone any good;

List of genetic disorders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Part of my problem is that as much happiness as eliminating, say, diabetes would cause, how much misery would the cure of eugenics lead to? Indeed this is my entire objection to a teleological view of ethics. How can the end justify the means, when ultimatly you are adding more pain and suffering to the universe. Unless your means are in line with your ends, then you are being self defeating. In the case of eugenics, preventing people who love each other from having children is gross and unatural, with the result of destroying freedom and creating misery. You may have less diabetes, but you have another problem instead. Sure on a permanent basis it won't last, but if it is a lifetime of regret, then that is like saying- your entire life will suck but your grandchild won't have a child with a medical condition that by then might be curable. That doesn't sound great to me. Rather like communism, eugenics sounds great in theory, if you consider only the end result, and not the problems, misery and pain that come inbetween.

well that depends on what you consider the 'cure' to be

people aren't going to suffer from not being able to procreate, they can always adopt despite what your culture tells you is 'gross' or 'unnatural'

however, this is not an issue

for screening allows all to procreate and simply removes bad embryos, not all embryos that a given couple produces will be bad

so there is no need to prevent certain people from breeding

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 04:07:51