No Soul? No human rights.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Khethil

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:28 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Yea I see your points and have stated them well; I just don't agree with any 'em. I think there's a good-lot of folks who see definitions of the soul similarly.
click here wrote:
Would you please state where you disagree so we can work to find something?

I'm not sure there's enough common ground; but I appreciate you asking Smile

Whether or not you believe there is a soul, is one thing. Whether or not humans have innate, intrinsic, endemic or inalienable rights is quite another. Trying to tie them together, to me, doesn't really work.

But... this is a belief system; and I respect your beliefs. Good thread though, it seems to be prompting some nice discussion.

Thanks

xris

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:29 am
@click here,
Im really trying to understand the purpose of this musing.We have not got the natural right to expect justice? there is no such thing as natural justice only that, that can be given if there is a god and he gave it to us ? So now its not just a soul its gods will that we might have innate laws .Have we these innate laws you speak of or have we not..whats your opinion?

click here

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:35 am
@xris,
Khethil wrote:
I'm not sure there's enough common ground; but I appreciate you asking Smile

Whether or not you believe there is a soul, is one thing. Whether or not humans have innate, intrinsic, endemic or inalienable rights is quite another. Trying to tie them together, to me, doesn't really work.

But... this is a belief system; and I respect your beliefs. Good thread though, it seems to be prompting some nice discussion.

Thanks

What is your justification for innate human rights? We can go from there.

xris wrote:
Im really trying to understand the purpose of this musing.We have not got the natural right to expect justice? there is no such thing as natural justice only that, that can be given if there is a god and he gave it to us ? So now its not just a soul its gods will that we might have innate laws .Have we these innate laws you speak of or have we not..whats your opinion?

See I didn't want to try and prove the existence of how innate human rights could exist i'm already chewing enough as it is.

By giving the example of god I give that as one reason why things may be the way they are. But I'm not saying that is the only way.

I just want justification for those that state innate human rights. What is their justification. If it is a soul or any other intangible thing then that is another discussion. I'm interested in the justification process for those who don't believe in anything like a soul, god, ghosts, spirits etc...

xris

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:48 am
@click here,
click here wrote:

See I didn't want to try and prove the existence of how innate human rights could exist i'm already chewing enough as it is.

By giving the example of god I give that as one reason why things may be the way they are. But I'm not saying that is the only way.

I just want justification for those that state innate human rights. What is their justification. If it is a soul or any other intangible thing then that is another discussion. I'm interested in the justification process for those who don't believe in anything like a soul, god, ghosts, spirits etc...
BUT you are saying that having a soul can give us these rights , what if having a soul was an innate right in its self.

click here

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:55 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
BUT you are saying that having a soul can give us these rights , what if having a soul was an innate right in its self.

I'm saying that is one way that some would approach to justify innate human rights. But i'm not talking about that. I'm not here to justify innate human rights with the existence of a soul. I'm saying that humans don't have innate human rights and I am directing this towards people who do not believe in souls, god, spirts etc....

Khethil

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:06 am
@click here,
click here wrote:

Well, I'd put my view this way: Humans have certain rights in recognition of the consciousness that is self-aware, sapient and is cognizant of its own thoughts, ego and mortality.[INDENT]A species with these characteristics values itself in a conscious manner [1]; therefore, those with like abilities should treat others in a manner they - on a basic level - would like to be treated [2]. These basic tenants give rise to fundamental, shared needs that such creatures, in order to survive productively, should respect.

This is a broad definition but - I think - should also take into account the physically-based potential for such characteristics (e.g., infants, the infirm), being part of the same species.
[/INDENT]Is that too convoluted? I know the sentiments I want to express and am hoping this makes sense. If one tries to define their notion of 'human rights', such definition would have to include elements that are uniquely human. For my part, I make such differentiation at the mental level. One could, in respect to their belief systems, make that same differentiation at the "soul" level, for that matter.

As to the question of whether or not they're innate or inalienable; I'd say "yea" because they have these unique conscious-based characteristics or the potential therein.

And no, I don't believe we have a 'soul' as a separate entity. I like the word quite a bit, but my context describes "soul" as being that independent dynamic of thought and emotion that takes place within the brain.

Thanks for asking. It's made me think hard, again, on those aspects which define 'human' and make us unique mentally - always a good exercise Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
[1] This isn't to say that 'all people love themselves', it only speaks to that aspect of instinct of which people are consciously aware. Most living species on this planet have a survival instinct, although I doubt any are aware of such instinct (read: value) on a conscious level.

[2] In those aspects of coexistence that are common to the species that define "survival"; not just basic physical survival, but other essential elements of living in which humans have a shared need. This, I think, would include most aspects that lead to peaceful coexistence.

click here

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:17 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Well, I'd put my view this way: Humans have certain rights in recognition of the consciousness that is self-aware, sapient and is cognizant of its own thoughts, ego and mortality.[INDENT]A species with these characteristics values itself in a conscious manner [1]; therefore, those with like abilities should treat others in a manner they - on a basic level - would like to be treated [2]. These basic tenants give rise to fundamental, shared needs that such creatures, in order to survive productively, should respect.

This is a broad definition but - I think - should also take into account the physically-based potential for such characteristics (e.g., infants, the infirm), being part of the same species.
[/INDENT]Is that too convoluted? I know the sentiments I want to express and am hoping this makes sense. If one tries to define their notion of 'human rights', such definition would have to include elements that are uniquely human. For my part, I make such differentiation at the mental level. One could, in respect to their belief systems, make that same differentiation at the "soul" level, for that matter.

As to the question of whether or not they're innate or inalienable; I'd say "yea" because they have these unique conscious-based characteristics or the potential therein.

The problem I see with this is that it is not until consciousness that you 'gain' these rights. So houses don't have these rights and plants nor animals have rights like these. Because as you say they are not sapient etc...

You assume that there are innate human rights to gain since you have this consciousness.

I assume then that you must agree that if we never had evolved out of primordial sludge then these human rights would still have existed. I ask why then do they exist and how do you justify that they exist.

xris

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:23 am
@Khethil,
I like the question it could propose, if we had a new species say of electronic intelligence would those rights be transferred automatically to those who have new intelligence or would they have to fight for it or ask for it .Animals dont have those rights only because they cant ask for it or cant fight for it.We did not have rights till we became aware that we should.I can logicaly reason in not believing a benevolent god but i can see every reason to propose the existance of a soul or that spark of life that we find so hard to reproduce.

click here

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:30 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I like the question it could propose, if we had a new species say of electronic intelligence would those rights be transferred automatically to those who have new intelligence or would they have to fight for it or ask for it.

You don't fight for innate rights. You either have them or you don't.

xris wrote:

Animals don't have those rights only because they cant ask for it or cant fight for it.

That's not true. You can't say that an animal doesn't have innate rights just because it can't express its opinion. Innate rights exist outside of opinions and consciousness.

xris wrote:

We did not have rights till we became aware that we should.

If you are talking about rights that you didn't have that you suddenly got then they aren't innate they are man made, invented.

Khethil

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:37 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
The problem I see with this is that it is not until consciousness that you 'gain' these rights. So houses don't have these rights and plants nor animals have rights like these. Because as you say they are not sapient etc...

Yep, you're spot on: I don't believe houses, plants or animals have human rights. Absolutely correct Smile

click here wrote:
You assume that there are innate human rights to gain since you have this consciousness.

Uh... not sure I understand what this sentence means. I don't assume there are human rights, I believe there are. And yes, I believe *I* have these rights of which we speak.

click here wrote:
I assume then that you must agree that if we never had evolved out of primordial sludge then these human rights would still have existed.

I'm not sure where you've got this from. If humans didn't exist, how might there be any humans to have rights?

click here wrote:
I ask why then do they exist and how do you justify that they exist.

I think I did. They exist because of the value we give to them; if we don't give this value (respect it, act on it) then how might they otherwise have any value. But yea... what I gave above is the reasoning I use for my belief that these exist. I call them "innate" because I believe these mental elements (or the potential thereof) belong to the, "... essential nature" of what it is to be human.

Again, I think where we part ways is that I believe we have these because of unique human mental abilities while, I believe, you say we have them because we have a soul that's valuable in and of itself. Two compatible sides to the same coin - ain't it great? Smile

Thanks

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:47 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
If evolution created these rights then they are not innate. They were created by evolution. If it was created then its not innate.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif
1 : existing in, belonging to, or determined by factors present in an individual from birth : native , inborn <innate behavior>
2 : belonging to the essential nature of something : inherent
3 : originating in or derived from the mind or the constitution of the intellect rather than from experience

I do believe that rights as conferred by the biological nature of human beings satisfies every given definition of innate.

And even if we were to accept your definition of "innate" and I suppose "natural", I would say that we could essentially take them out of our vernacular since the idea of any that exists without some creation is quite foreign to our feeble minds.

Quote:
But that is what you are saying. That before evolution even occurred their was no such thing as human rights. If they are innate then they existed before evolution.

You and I are talking about different definitions of innate and which I tried to point out earlier.

Before evolution, very little of what we deal with in our lives existed. Are you saying that all reproductive life is unnatural?

Quote:
All ideas are innate since they have the potentiality of being thought up.
Ideas are created and did not exist before evolution.

Quote:
innate: belongs to the essential nature of something.
Nature has programmed an essential nature into us. This includes certain moral dispositions, certain categories of reason, the desire for justification of beliefs and actions, and rules of communicative discourse.

From these innate qualities we can derive moral rules that can be called "rights".

Aedes wrote:
Compassion and empathy are biologically innate in both humans and animals. There is a lot of research that shows this. See the below article.

Being human we have many competing priorities and judgements that can supervene compassion. It's interesting when you read the Nuremberg testimony of Rudolf Hoess, the commandant of Auschwitz, who said that he often felt bad for the families and children that he was sending to their deaths, but it never occurred to him to disobey orders. I'm sure there was a good bit of sadism in him too -- but I'm also sure that he was conflicted.

Human rights is a philosophical abstraction of compassion. So while it may not be innate in an absolute way, you can argue that it's natural.

It is important to also point out that, while people may have certain natural rights, moral culpability for the violation of these rights is always a much more muddied concept.

Rights are defined by their holders nature at some particular instance, moral culpability is tied up in a seemingly endless string of causal factors.

click here

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:49 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Yep, you're spot on: I don't believe houses, plants or animals have human rights. Absolutely correct Smile

I'm not saying that they would be human. They could then be animal/plant/house rights.

Khethil wrote:

Uh... not sure I understand what this sentence means. I don't assume there are human rights, I believe there are. And yes, I believe *I* have these rights of which we speak.

You believe that because we have consciousness then there are innate human rights that we can have.

Khethil wrote:

I'm not sure where you've got this from. If humans didn't exist, how might there be any humans to have rights?

Because innate human rights must exist before humans come into being and before consciousness can perceive it.

Khethil wrote:

I think I did. They exist because of the value we give to them; if we don't give this value (respect it, act on it) then how might they otherwise have any value. But yea... what I gave above is the reasoning I use for my belief that these exist. I call them "innate" because I believe these mental elements (or the potential thereof) belong to the, "... essential nature" of what it is to be human.

Again, I think where we part ways is that I believe we have these because of unique human mental abilities while, I believe, you say we have them because we have a soul that's valuable in and of itself. Two compatible sides to the same coin - ain't it great? Smile

Thanks

If they exist because we give value to them then they are man made. Man invented the human rights. They they are not innate. If you believe you have rights because of unique mental abilities then those rights you speak of are not innate they are again just man made and there is no 'right' to enforce them as they are only your opinions.

Human mental abilities must only create the human rights thus they are not innate.

I'll have to get back to you later Mr. Fight the Power I gotta run.

Khethil

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 09:19 am
@click here,
Hey Catch, looks like we're time-sync'd this morning...

click here wrote:
I'm not saying that they would be human. They could then be animal/plant/house rights.

Gotcha. I was addressing human rights (as per your request) - not these other things. I don't believe houses have any rights on their own. I do believe animals and plants do; but these (to me) are quite different from human rights.

click here wrote:
Because innate human rights must exist before humans come into being and before consciousness can perceive it.

I think we disagree here. You can't have "innate human rights" without humans; the phrase would have no meaning.

click here wrote:
If they exist because we give value to them then they are man made. Man invented the human rights. They they are not innate.

click here wrote:
Human mental abilities must only create the human rights thus they are not innate.

click here wrote:
If you believe you have rights because of unique mental abilities then those rights you speak of are not innate they are again just man made and there is no 'right' to enforce them as they are only your opinions.

Well, all this is opinion Smile

But again, I think you might be mixing up terminology or equating terms that can't be. Your question asked about "Innate Human Rights". In this, there are two parts:[INDENT]1. Innate: "Innate Human" describes what elements of humanity that are specific to the human animal. What is innate to the human we didn't invent; we take it as existing objectively from our perceptions (heh, to the extent to which *that* is possible)

2. Rights: A concept of what is good, due, just or proper. Like all concepts, it only exists when recognized. What is a concept that no one sees? It's meaningless without recognition.
[/INDENT]But if you put those two parts together and say "Innate Human Rights" you get "That which is we recognize to be just or proper for those who possess the special characteristics of the human". But I'm curious: In this that you ask about, how does that relate to the "soul" (which I believe was your central theme)

In any case, I'm not wanting to convince you or change your mind. I am; however, trying to answer your question on my definition of the phrase. Like I said before, I believe our views on the issue are too divergent for compatibility. But that's not to say there can't be understanding. I think I understand yours, I hope this helps towards understanding mine.

Thanks again

Bones-O

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 10:39 am
@click here,
This thread kinda got away from me a tad, but on the question of evolution of human rights, this would count as innate for very straightforward reasons.

If human rights are innate then in order to be human (i.e. for the human to have evolved as it did) those rights would be necessary. Without those rights, the organism could not be described as human since it lack essential characteristics (human rights). So if those rights evolved but weren't essential to the character of that organism (the human) they would not be innate. But the human without those rights, if those rights evolved, would constitute a different evolutionary path and therefore a result in a different organism.

One cannot say a particular human feature is not innate because we might not have evolved that way. Every human feature is innate because we evolved that way. No human creature exists that did not evolve that way.

Kielicious

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 01:06 pm
@click here,
click here wrote:
sure no problem.

Jenny gets raped by Mike. Jenny use to be a very quiet woman that wasn't going anywhere with her job. This act of rape gave her the fierce desire to advance in her job because she now is a more driven individual. She started her own business that in 10 years grew to be the largest company to provide clean water to thousands in Africa.

When she was raped that act was good because it influenced the positive growth of a society and benefited many more people then those that it affected negatively.

Lol rather trivial dont you think...

I hope you dont expect me to accept this as an answer.

xris

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 01:15 pm
@Kielicious,
Is it just me but this thread is giving me a headache..i dont know quite what im discussing..give me one example of this innate thingy ma jig.please pretty please..

click here

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 03:15 pm
@xris,
Gotta love that multi-quote. Read on, I reply to everyone (i think).

Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif
1 : existing in, belonging to, or determined by factors present in an individual from birth : native , inborn <innate behavior>
2 : belonging to the essential nature of something : inherent
3 : originating in or derived from the mind or the constitution of the intellect rather than from experience

I do believe that rights as conferred by the biological nature of human beings satisfies every given definition of innate.

And even if we were to accept your definition of "innate" and I suppose "natural",

I think I know of an easy way to state what I am defining it as. If human rights are innate then they are absolute like an absolutist views morals. How's that? Does everyone understand what I am saying now? Human rights are not absolute like that is what I have been trying to prove.

Yet I've done a bit more thinking and I don't think you can even argue for human rights based on them 'evolving with nature' I think you must in the end accept that your 'human rights' are man made conventions.

I would say that we could essentially take them out of our vernacular since the idea of any that exists without some creation is quite foreign to our feeble minds.

Oh really? I have already mentioned earlier in this thread. Numbers and laws of logic. There has never been a time when you could not assign a number to something. If something existed then you could assign a number to it.

Before evolution, very little of what we deal with in our lives existed. Are you saying that all reproductive life is unnatural?

No... where did you get that? I was saying that if human rights are innate then they existed before evolution just as numbers and laws of logic. Since they didn't, we can now go from there.

Ideas are created and did not exist before evolution.

False. Ideas are innate. Ideas require external conditions for them to be triggered to recognition. But the essence of the idea exists before it is thought up or else it could not be thought up. An inventor can not invent something that could never exist. The invention has to have the potentiality to exist for it to be invented. So the idea of the invention existed before the invention. So ideas are innate.

Nature has programmed an essential nature into us. This includes certain moral dispositions, certain categories of reason, the desire for justification of beliefs and actions, and rules of communicative discourse.

From these innate qualities we can derive moral rules that can be called "rights".

Exactly! You derive them! The 'rights' are man made. So you only have a right to life because man believes that you should because of inferences that he makes based off of passed experiences that showed it people are not given some sort of right then we will be wiped off the face of the earth. So it is all man made! That is even if you accept that a human body even belongs to itself. It gets crazier still!

Man has to state that for 'humans' to grow into a better society they have to be recognized as whole entities but there is nothing inherent that makes you an entire entity. i.e. How do you own your leg? Is it only because it is attached to you? It is all mans conventions. We see that if things don't go this way then things go 'bad' but because you agree that there is no absolute bad then your inferences are based of your opinions and then just are conventions. You can infer all you want from how you view nature. That doesn't make something that 'is' become something that 'ought be'. That should be some good thinking for you.

Khethil wrote:

I think we disagree here. You can't have "innate human rights" without humans; the phrase would have no meaning.

Sure you can. The concept of numbers existed before a number was even written on a wall or paper. That is like saying you can't have "numbers" without numbers...

Khethil wrote:

Well, all this is opinion Smile

But again, I think you might be mixing up terminology or equating terms that can't be. Your question asked about "Innate Human Rights". In this, there are two parts:
[INDENT]1. Innate: "Innate Human" describes what elements of humanity that are specific to the human animal. What is innate to the human we didn't invent; we take it as existing objectively from our perceptions (heh, to the extent to which *that* is possible)

2. Rights: A concept of what is good, due, just or proper. Like all concepts, it only exists when recognized. What is a concept that no one sees? It's meaningless without recognition. [/INDENT] But if you put those two parts together and say "Innate Human Rights" you get "That which is we recognize to be just or proper for those who possess the special characteristics of the human". But I'm curious: In this that you ask about, how does that relate to the "soul" (which I believe was your central theme)

As to what you say about how I define innate. See above for what I said to Mr. FTP

"That which we recognize to be just" How do you recognize that it is just? How can you recognize it as just unless the act that you are recognizing is in itself an absolute 'right' or 'wrong' thing to do? How do you justify this act that you are recognizing as wrong? What makes the act wrong?

You are a very polite person to debate with by the way.[/quote]

Bones-O! wrote:
This thread kinda got away from me a tad, but on the question of evolution of human rights, this would count as innate for very straightforward reasons.

If human rights are innate then in order to be human (i.e. for the human to have evolved as it did) those rights would be necessary. Without those rights, the organism could not be described as human since it lack essential characteristics (human rights). So if those rights evolved but weren't essential to the character of that organism (the human) they would not be innate. But the human without those rights, if those rights evolved, would constitute a different evolutionary path and therefore a result in a different organism.

One cannot say a particular human feature is not innate because we might not have evolved that way. Every human feature is innate because we evolved that way. No human creature exists that did not evolve that way.

I think you are looking at human rights now as a physical entity. I don't see how a concept can change evolution. For instance how could the concept of numbers or the laws of logic make evolutionary effective changes?
I think the issue with the biological argument is that it fails to mention how something that 'is' becomes something that 'ought be'.

Kielicious wrote:
Lol rather trivial dont you think...

I hope you dont expect me to accept this as an answer.

Actually I do. Are you a relativist? Then you must except it. If you don't accept it prove where it is flawed.

xris wrote:
Is it just me but this thread is giving me a headache..i dont know quite what im discussing..give me one example of this innate thingy ma jig.please pretty please..

Here are some innate things: the concept of numbers. The concept of numbers has always existed. Even if you believe that there was once primordial sludge you could assign numbers to the amount of piles that are there. Or laws of logic. We know that circular logic is flawed. It is flawed because of laws of logic. The laws of logic were not invented. They have always existed.

Khethil

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 03:23 pm
@click here,
Well Click, I appreciate the exchange, but I'm not getting anywhere on it.

It happens every once in a while that I run into a conversation that goes in different directions no matter how hard each party tries. It's all good though, can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

So thanks again, and good luck Smile

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 03:32 pm
@click here,
Click, if you wish to say that human rights are "man-dependent" that is, if they are dependent upon human mental functions, then we agree. Yes, there are no rights given directly by nature, rather there are faculties given to man by nature, and those faculties lead men to think in terms of rights and morals.

This, however, applies to concepts of math and numbers as well.

In my opinion, the understanding of rights between people is a priori knowledge (what I think you are driving at when you say innate), just the same as understanding of numbers, cause and effect, etc.

click here

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 03:47 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Click, if you wish to say that human rights are "man-dependent" that is, if they are dependent upon human mental functions, then we agree. Yes, there are no rights given directly by nature, rather there are faculties given to man by nature, and those faculties lead men to think in terms of rights and morals.

This, however, applies to concepts of math and numbers as well.

In my opinion, the understanding of rights between people is a priori knowledge (what I think you are driving at when you say innate), just the same as understanding of numbers, cause and effect, etc.

I disagree that this is similar to math and numbers. Rights are man made and do not exist outside of their creation of man. He created an entire genre of 'rights' and 'morals' to 'create a civil society' So the entirety of ethics is all conceived by man. Ethics was his excuse to get over issues with things that do not facilitate societal growth. So the only link between nature and ethics is the man's bridge.

With numbers, numbers were not created by man. As I have said loads of times. Things could have been numbered before man existed. So man does not create this branch that we call math he took it directly from its absolute eternal existence.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 07:34:00