No Soul? No human rights.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Bones-O

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:54 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
How is this: The soul is an intangible thing in the same sort of way you would describe God. Most of the time those that believe in a soul also believe in a god. Many of those that believe in god also believe that he was the one that gave the human rights in the medium of a soul.

Groovy. But none of that leads to the conclusion that innate human rights actually do necessitate a soul.

click here wrote:

I'm using innate as in this definition: innate: "inherent in the essential character of something"

I don't know what your getting at by bringing up that ideas are intangible. Are you trying to say that I can't say that human rights don't exist merely because they are intangible? No I am not saying that. I am saying that if you do not believe that souls exist then you as well my agree that innate human rights do not as well exist.

I'm saying that intangible ideas can emerge from configurations of physical bodies (e.g. cells, moons...) that individually do not contain those ideas nor would, in other configurations, allow them to emerge. What I'm getting at is that ideas of human rights could, in principle, be innate, emerging purely from physicality. I'm not saying they do, but the fact that they could discredits the notion that they could not.

xris

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:12 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
If evolution created these rights then they are not innate. They were created by evolution. If it was created then its not innate.
Thats if you use the term create inferring a benefactor.

click here

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:22 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
Groovy. But none of that leads to the conclusion that innate human rights actually do necessitate a soul.

I'm saying that intangible ideas can emerge from configurations of physical bodies (e.g. cells, moons...) that individually do not contain those ideas nor would, in other configurations, allow them to emerge. What I'm getting at is that ideas of human rights could, in principle, be innate, emerging purely from physicality. I'm not saying they do, but the fact that they could discredits the notion that they could not.

I never said that the idea of human rights could not exist.

Innate 'rights' do not emerge they already are. So what you are saying emerges is the 'idea' of those rights. The 'idea' of those rights was not created at that moment. It already had the potential for being created so it is innate. All ideas are innate since they have the potentiality of being thought up. It is not that once it is thought up it is created. It is just now being known. Like an invention. The fact that it was thought up and then built means that the idea of it was innate. I am not saying that the idea of human rights can not be thought up. I am saying that actual innate 'human rights' can not exist, but sure the idea of them can. You are saying that the since the idea of something can be thought up that we are able to know that the idea could exist. That is false. I can think of the idea of an immovable object and an unstoppable force. But this can never exist in reality.

Khethil

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:23 am
@xris,
Yea, I don't know that any of the original conclusions follow at all. If I follow the logic there, I have to ask...

• If we have a soul, might that also be made of molecules; in which case the soul and the house would be similar too?

• If we don't have a soul, how does that make our minds (read: consciousness within our brains) worthless?

• If we don't have a soul, then the body has no worth, and therefore no rights?

It seems this whole idea says that: Without a soul, one is worthless. Do I understand this correctly? If so, I'm curious what it is about having a soul that would make a person worthwhile.

Thanks

click here

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:43 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

• If we have a soul, might that also be made of molecules; in which case the soul and the house would be similar too?

This discussion assumes that a soul is non existent. Being non-existent because it is being referred to in an intangible sense. So no molecules.

Khethil wrote:

• If we don't have a soul, how does that make our minds (read: consciousness within our brains) worthless?

Because then consciousness does not exist apart from it being defined as molecules. What is your definition of worthless as well? Worth: is it not subjective?

Khethil wrote:

It is not that because the body has no worth that it has no rights. I don't know where your getting the 'worth' part from. It is just that If we don't have a soul, we don't have rights.

Khethil wrote:

It seems this whole idea says that: Without a soul, one is worthless. Do I understand this correctly? If so, I'm curious what it is about having a soul that would make a person worthwhile.

Thanks

I don't know why you are mentioning worth. Worth is a man made idea. Nothing truly is worth anything. I am just saying that without a soul there is no human rights.

Xris wrote:

Thats if you use the term create inferring a benefactor.

But that is what you are saying. That before evolution even occurred their was no such thing as human rights. If they are innate then they existed before evolution.

You and I are talking about different definitions of innate and which I tried to point out earlier.

xris

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:50 am
@click here,
By mentioning evolution i am inferring a benefactor? am i :perplexed:

Bones-O

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:52 am
@click here,
click here wrote:

Innate 'rights' do not emerge they already are.

But this definition is part of the problem imo. I believe I am innately human, yet I know that my humanity is an emergent property. If you insist that for anything to be innate it has to be found in its entirety in the fundamental units of existence, then fine, but that makes your whole argument a truism. Since you allow only fundamental physical bodies to have innate attributes, aggregates cannot have any innate properties except for the sum of their fundamental parts. Wow, your point is proven!

click here wrote:

So what you are saying emerges is the 'idea' of those rights.
I am not saying that the idea of human rights can not be thought up. I am saying that actual innate 'human rights' can not exist, but sure the idea of them can. You are saying that the since the idea of something can be thought up that we are able to know that the idea could exist.

Yes. But now you in principle agree that the idea of human rights could be innate, I'll go further and say those rights have no other existence than that idea of them. Rights ARE ideas, thus innate ideas of human rights = ideas of innate human rights = innate human rights.

click here wrote:

All ideas are innate since they have the potentiality of being thought up.

That I cannot agree with. Ideas can and do require external conditions, such as the moon.

Aedes

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:56 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
If you don't believe there is a human soul then no one in the world has innate human rights. If you disagree with me then you are doing it on your own accord with no valid reasons.
I don't believe in a soul, and I have been doing medical work in the developing world for years. Part of my conception of innate human rights has to do with my grandparents' experiences as Holocaust survivors, and I now apply that notion to people in need.

There is no need for a real soul for this to be justified. A soul can be metaphorical and it still works. Suffering is real, and in fact the capacity to suffer is one thing that unites all sentient things.

I think where I disagree with you most is with the idea that it's somehow necessary for a moral to be absolute in order for it to be a useful guide for us all.

click here

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:07 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
But this definition is part of the problem imo. I believe I am innately human, yet I know that my humanity is an emergent property. If you insist that for anything to be innate it has to be found in its entirety in the fundamental units of existence, then fine, but that makes your whole argument a truism. Since you allow only fundamental physical bodies to have innate attributes, aggregates cannot have any innate properties except for the sum of their fundamental parts. Wow, your point is proven!

Cool beans.

I've had others state things before in other threads that goes against what I have said which is why I posted this.

Bones-O! wrote:

Yes. But now you in principle agree that the idea of human rights could be innate, I'll go further and say those rights have no other existence than that idea of them. Rights ARE ideas, thus innate ideas of human rights = ideas of innate human rights = innate human rights.

I don't say that the idea of human rights could be innate. I say that the idea of rights are innate. Yet I am not defining rights as ideas. I'm defining them as something like numbers. We know that numbers exist as intangible in their essence. So no ideas of innate human rights do not equal innate human rights. They are different by definition.

Bones-O! wrote:

That I cannot agree with. Ideas can and do require external conditions, such as the moon.

Sure ideas require external conditions for them to be triggered to recognition. But the essence of the idea exists before it is thought up or else it could not be thought up. An inventor can not invent something that could never exist. The invention has to have the potentiality to exist for it to be invented. So the idea of the invention existed before the invention. So ideas are innate.

xris

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:07 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Yea, I don't know that any of the original conclusions follow at all. If I follow the logic there, I have to ask...

Thanks
I am glad its not just me that is confused. I cant see what the question inspires me to believe.The body has no rights if it does not have a soul.The innate or laws of nature only manifest themselves to souls, is that it ?

Bones-O

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:10 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

I think where I disagree with you most is with the idea that it's somehow necessary for a moral to be absolute in order for it to be a useful guide for us all.

With respect (sincerely) I don't think (m)any have said that. The OP concerns only that which is absolute. I am a strong believer in human rights, but it really makes no sense to me to suggest they are innate in us as individuals. My stance on issues of human rights is largely if not entirely determined by my compassions for others. I know those compassions are absent in some people, so they are not innate in us, and actual societies don't tend to live up to them, so they are not innate in our relations either. Human rights are the ideals of the compassionate and have to be fought for against the indifferent and the willfully destructive. Where do those ideals come from? Nature and nurture I guess.

click here

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:13 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I don't believe in a soul, and I have been doing medical work in the developing world for years. Part of my conception of innate human rights has to do with my grandparents' experiences as Holocaust survivors, and I now apply that notion to people in need.

There is no need for a real soul for this to be justified. A soul can be metaphorical and it still works. Suffering is real, and in fact the capacity to suffer is one thing that unites all sentient things.

Sure there is need for a real soul. How do you justify the existence of innate human rights?

Aedes wrote:

I don't remember saying or inferring that morals must be an absolute for them to be a useful guide. If morals were absolute then they could be a useful guide but still not followed. If morals were relative they could also be a useful guide but still not followed.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:42 am
@click here,
Rights are built upon the rules of human understanding and not upon the rules of nature.

Innate human rights are founded in categorical human rules of understanding, particularly and prominently the need for justification and non-contradiction.

click here

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:45 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Rights are built upon the rules of human understanding and not upon the rules of nature.

Innate human rights are founded in categorical human rules of understanding, particularly and prominently the need for justification and non-contradiction.

I think you are not referring to innate human rights. You are referring to human rights as invented by man.

Joe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:16 pm
@click here,
Does something I feel and call a soul justify what i consider innate human rights?

I need to ask if innate human rights means that they never have to be spoken written or identified? Is this accurate?

click here

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:53 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
Does something I feel and call a soul justify what i consider innate human rights?

Sure but this discussion is under the acceptance of there being no soul.

Joe wrote:

I need to ask if innate human rights means that they never have to be spoken written or identified? Is this accurate?

Sure that works.

Kielicious

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:56 pm
@click here,
click here wrote:
You may say "humans are conscious etc...." Ok and your point? What is consciousness? An illusion put together by some randomly organized molecules.

How is consciousness an illusion again...?

click here wrote:
If you are going to prove to me that humans do have innate human rights while maintaining that they are soul lacking first show me where the difference between a house and a human is.

Well to not make the argument too trivial a house is an inanimate object. How is a house and a person the same again? They are quite different in my mind but maybe thats just me Wink

click here wrote:
If your moral ideas are based off of what makes a civil society then rape is still only situationally wrong even in your own opinion.

Rape is ok situationally? Could you provide an example of when rape is ever ok?

xris

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:58 pm
@click here,
click here wrote:
I think you are not referring to innate human rights. You are referring to human rights as invented by man.
I think we all have a problem with your understanding of innate or even our understanding because we never seem to agree on what it actually means.I assumed it was the natural laws of nature like the right to have children , be able to progress, to breath, live....if im not right can you give a definition you are speaking of.

click here

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 02:10 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:
How is consciousness an illusion again...?

Well to not make the argument too trivial a house is an inanimate object. How is a house and a person the same again? They are quite different in my mind but maybe thats just me Wink

Consciousness probably thought of in some of these terms: thoughts, sensations, perceptions, moods, emotions, dreams etc... can all be explained away as molecules moving around. What is a house? Molecules moving around. A house has no innate rights and neither do humans. Consciousness is an illusion in the sense that it is not an excuse for a difference between houses and humans.

Kielicious wrote:

Rape is ok situationally? Could you provide an example of when rape is ever ok?

One could argue that rape is never wrong though in this situation I chose to say situationaly wrong to appeal to the relativists ideals. I argue that it is even ok under their definition of what is morally right and wrong. They would say that rape is wrong because it inhibits the growth of a civil society. So whenever it is not inhibiting the growth of society then rape is not wrong. I gave examples of how rape can not just inhibit society but also indirectly positvley influence a society.

If you are going to give an example of when rape is wrong you have to first state your stance on what makes it wrong. I encourage you to do so.

click here

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 02:19 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
I think we all have a problem with your understanding of innate or even our understanding because we never seem to agree on what it actually means.I assumed it was the natural laws of nature like the right to have children , be able to progress, to breath, live....if im not right can you give a definition you are speaking of.

innate: belongs to the essential nature of something.

All of those natural laws of nature that you state are not innate. You have no right to have children, nor a right to progress, breath or live.

If someone were to come up to you and say "why shouldn't I kill you" there is no way that you can respond to prove to him why he shouldn't kill you. you may convince him otherwise but you can not prove to him that he doesn't have any more a right to kill you then for you to live because neither rights exist. so he doesn't have a right to kill you but he still can.

Innate human rights are rights that exists as immaterial in nature and have always existed for ever and ever and ever. just like numbers. Numbers have always existed. If there was anything that existed no matter how far back in time you go you could always say "there is one of that thing" The nature of numbers are innate.

innate things always were and always will be. innate human rights would exist from before humans existed and forever before that.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 08:13:57