Moral Paradox.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 02:26 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Zetherin,Smile

Morality is a product of society/s, there is no morality to nature, the term amoral, means just that, it is beyond good and bad/evil. In nature there is no judgement, nature is red in tooth and claw, and that is just the way it is. Morality is a myth we have created to govern ourselves, its a tool if you like, and differing somewhat from one culture to the next. The indifference of nature to the survival of man, is amoral and is probably the stimulus for the formation of society itself. At one time, nature was the common enemy, today it is the wounded mother of our destiny. Our amoral behaviour towards her, has brought us to the edge.:eek:

What you just typed was what I was trying to convey in my post, albeit one thing -

Where does this amoral behavior towards nature come from, and why are you personifying it? We could also say that nature is a myth we have created as an aid to differentiate humanity from the world around us.

Also, our indifference is not amoral. You are judging it right now with your morals, applying meaning to the indifference. Again, we cannot fathom anything amoral, as the mere fact of consideration forces us to make choices that lead to contradictions.

boagie

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 04:03 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
What you just typed was what I was trying to convey in my post, albeit one thing -

Where does this amoral behavior towards nature come from, and why are you personifying it? We could also say that nature is a myth we have created as an aid to differentiate humanity from the world around us.

Also, our indifference is not amoral. You are judging it right now with your morals, applying meaning to the indifference. Again, we cannot fathom anything amoral, as the mere fact of consideration forces us to make choices that lead to contradictions.

Zetherin,Smile

:)There are a number of historic reasons for our lack of appreciation of nature, the strongest of which would be our history of reguarding it as the common enemy, something to be mastered, enslaved, corrected and demeaned. There is in general a lack of wonder in our society, a lack of awe, a lack of respect, a lack of a realistic perspective and a lack of belonging to the earth. Our native peoples where they have not lost touch with this themselves, could serve us in reawakening in us, the wonder that surrounds us all.

:)Someone once said to me, a kitten never meows in nature, what he meant was meowing/crying is a communication, and in the face of indifferance which is the state of nature, communication, complaining, is utterly futile. So it is entirely reasonable that the kitten does not meow in the cold embrace of nature---------even if the actual reality of the kitten is not on the mark, the point is made.

:)This is a Christian country as well, Christianity does not hold nature in any reverence, and seeing as it has not absorbed any new knowledge in the past two thousand years, it is still programing people in disrespect of nature. Today nature herself has began to teach, and gods wrath will seem a poor thing next to her rage, O' babble O' holymen. You are quite right our indifferance is not amoral, it is by our very sentiments morality in the making, as we all do wish to live. That which is amoral, is not in need of you, it is not in need of meaning, that which is amoral, just is, remember the old buddhist teacher, what is the meaning of a flower, ---------the answer, there is no meaning, it just is. At anyrate I have babbled long enough, interesting topic though, it can go almost anywhere.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 04:14 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Zetherin,Smile

:)There are a number of historic reasons for our lack of appreciation of nature, the strongest of which would be our history of reguarding it as the common enemy, something to be mastered, enslaved, corrected and demeaned. There is in general a lack of wonder in our society, a lack of awe, a lack of respect, a lack of a realistic perspective and a lack of belonging to the earth. Our native peoples where they have not lost touch with this themselves, could serve us in reawakening in us, the wonder that surrounds us all.

:)Someone once said to me, a kitten never meows in nature, what he meant was meowing/crying is a communication, and in the face of indifferance which is the state of nature, communication, complaining, is utterly futile. So it is entirely reasonable that the kitten does not meow in the cold embrace of nature---------even if the actual reality of the kitten is not on the mark, the point is made.

:)This is a Christian country as well, Christianity does not hold nature in any reverence, and seeing as it has not absorbed any new knowledge in the past two thousand years, it is still programing people in disrespect of nature. Today nature herself has began to teach, and gods wrath will seem a poor thing next to her rage, O' babble O' holymen. You are quite right our indifferance is not amoral, it is by our very sentiments morality in the making, as we all do wish to live. That which is amoral, is not in need of you, it is not in need of meaning, that which is amoral, just is, remember the old buddhist teacher, what is the meaning of a flower, ---------the answer, there is no meaning, it just is. At anyrate I have babbled long enough, interesting topic though, it can go almost anywhere.

It can go anywhere.

I like to call topics like these "polished topics". That is, we have removed much of the discriminations, and idealistic views that may influence us, and are truly attempting to discern the world through logic and intelligent reasoning.

"There is in general a lack of wonder in our society, a lack of awe, a lack of respect, a lack of a realistic perspective and a lack of belonging to the earth. Our native peoples where they have not lost touch with this themselves, could serve us in reawakening in us, the wonder that surrounds us all."

^ This adequately describes your view of how we should treat such a thing you call "nature" (I won't start a petty argument over what nature is, as I understand your definition).

My view is that instead of focusing on our destruction of the world around us (nature), we should focus on humanity. By eliminating the smokescreen that clouds our minds, we can ultimately benefit humanity (I explain further in another thread with you).

However, sometimes I wonder what the point of even keeping humanity going really is. I can keep opening doors, but it seems at times I have to stop somewhere. I have to stop opening doors, I have to stop considering things in order to have meaning...to have purpose.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:39:59