Summer Reading Anyone?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Summer Reading Anyone?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:52 pm
Heres what Ill be reading over the course of the Summer:

1. John Locke - An Essay Concerning Human Understanding (Book IV)
2. Arthur Schopenhauer - On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason (along with the Cambridge Companion to Schopenhauer)
3. Schopenhauer - The World as Will and Representation (Vol. 1 and 2 tran. Mr. Payne)
4. Immanuel Kant - All three Critiques (because Im pretty sure Ill have to read these while reading Schopenhauer)
5. Lord Byron - Don Juan (not certain if I will get to this one)

Any of you have a reading list for the Summer?

Brian phil

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:59 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Plato's Republic
Kant's Critique of Pure Reason
Schopenhauer's Counsels & Maxims
on the lighter side, a mystery novel or two

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 06:11 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Oh man, you guys read some serious stuff. I'm reading "We Two," which is a historical account of the relationship of Victoria and Albert and also Adobe classroom in a book.

harlequin phil

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 06:41 pm
@Ding an Sich,
i alternate between fiction and non fiction, i have a stack of books "in the hopper" but once i finish a book, i just read whatever i might feel like next, and more likely than not, i end up at the bookstore buying more books to read even though i haven't read the 79 other books laying around.

some of the books i have sitting around waiting to be read include:

godel, escher, bach by Hofstadter

wittgenstien's blue and brown books and tractus

boneshaker by carrie priest (steampunk zombie sci fi)

the most of s.j. perelman (humorist essays)

hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse
by robert rankin (humor sci fi)

and lots of comic books.

qualia

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 06:46 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
The books I am currently working on in my free time are:

Spanish:
El Sistema de Los Objetos - Baudrillard
Nihilismo y Estetica - Carlos Diaz
Vida de Consumo - Zygmunt Bauman
Ensayos sobre Politica y Cultura - Herbert Marcuse

English:
Being & Time - Heidegger

mister kitten

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 07:09 pm
@Ding an Sich,
I'm getting a few books this weekend. I hope to find some books in Italian/poem books/books on art/ books on carpentry, woodworking/ (eastern) philosophy/maybe a book on math if I can find any.

Currently I'm reading:
-The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury...this summer I hope to start and finish Fahrenheit 451 by him.
-The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus
-The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil
-Dialogues of Plato by Plato, on Apology and might get to Republic

This summer I wish to read:
-Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
-The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton
-the book I receive from English for next year
-whatever books I will have from this weekend

harlequin phil

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:07 pm
@Ding an Sich,
i think cat's cradle is one of the best of vonnegut's books.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:36 am
@Ding an Sich,
I am reading The Plague by Camus. I am also working on The Myth of the Machine by Lewis Mumford. After I finish The Plague, I am going to pick up something a bit lighter for reading -- Fool by Christopher Moore. Too much heavy sh!t is not so good for the soul. It is some sort of satirical comedy that focuses on Shakespeare I believe.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:40 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;169280 wrote:
Heres what Ill be reading over the course of the Summer:

1. John Locke - An Essay Concerning Human Understanding (Book IV)
2. Arthur Schopenhauer - On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason (along with the Cambridge Companion to Schopenhauer)
3. Schopenhauer - The World as Will and Representation (Vol. 1 and 2 tran. Mr. Payne)
4. Immanuel Kant - All three Critiques (because Im pretty sure Ill have to read these while reading Schopenhauer)
5. Lord Byron - Don Juan (not certain if I will get to this one)

Any of you have a reading list for the Summer?

How can I have? Yours exhausts me.

d3athlig3r

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:23 am
@Ding an Sich,
Anyone suggest whether I begin reading this book: "Bertrand Russell - Problems of Philosophy" Or is it a waste of time?

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 06:10 am
@d3athlig3r,
d3athlig3r;169493 wrote:
Anyone suggest whether I begin reading this book: "Bertrand Russell - Problems of Philosophy" Or is it a waste of time?

Yes you better read that book. It gives a good start into analytic philosophy.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 08:12 AM ----------

kennethamy;169442 wrote:
How can I have? Yours exhausts me.

To be honest some of this is going to extend into the fall beacuse I plan on re-reading some of these works more than once.

Do lists make you tired?

Dosed

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 06:28 am
@Ding an Sich,
Setting out to read Beyond Good and Evil. I might tuck it away though for later. Not sure I want to embark on that just yet.

harlequin phil

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 06:32 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;169439 wrote:
............., I am going to pick up something a bit lighter for reading -- Fool by Christopher Moore. ...........

if you haven't read lamb or fluke by christopher moore, they are hilarious. i think lamb is my favorite by him.

jgweed

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 06:57 am
@Ding an Sich,
I generally take the summer off from reading philosophy in a focused manner. Durrell's Alexandria Quartet sits stacked on a bookshelf awaiting quiet Summer evenings.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:47 am
@harlequin phil,
harlequin;169510 wrote:
if you haven't read lamb or fluke by christopher moore, they are hilarious. i think lamb is my favorite by him.

Other than Fool, the only books by Moore I haven't read are the second and third of the vampire series and the Island of the Sequined Love Nun. Lamb is definitely my favorite by him, although A Dirty Job is right up there as well.

cogitoergo

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:33 am
@Dosed,
Dosed.;169509 wrote:
Setting out to read Beyond Good and Evil. I might tuck it away though for later. Not sure I want to embark on that just yet.

You definitely should go ahead and read it! Nietzsche is a fascinating read, and I think that many of his ideas are beautiful.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 11:15 am
@cogitoergo,
cogitoergo;169577 wrote:
You definitely should go ahead and read it! Nietzsche is a fascinating read, and I think that many of his ideas are beautiful.

But Nietzsche is not a very good summer read. Read Nietzsche in the winter when things are generally more gloomy. I would recommend something more like Emerson to read in the summer--who by the way was an influence on Nietzsche and you can find parallels--which is best read outside on a warm sunny day.

But then, if you live where there is not much of a winter or devoid of a winter at all, then it really doesn't matter much.

Huxley

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 01:29 pm
@Theaetetus,
1. Currently finishing Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit
2. Karl Popper's The Logic of Scientific Discovery
3. Russell's Why I'm Not a Christian
4. Kant's The Only Possible Argument in Support of a Demonstration of the Existence of God (I'm interested in reading his pre-critical stuff, but considering his antinomies, this interested me)
5. Also currently finishing Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra

I know I'll get through 1, 2, and 5. We'll see about 3 and 4.

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 01:36 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley;169645 wrote:
1. Currently finishing Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit
2. Karl Popper's The Logic of Scientific Discovery
3. Russell's Why I'm Not a Christian
4. Kant's The Only Possible Argument in Support of a Demonstration of the Existence of God (I'm interested in reading his pre-critical stuff, but considering his antinomies, this interested me)
5. Also currently finishing Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra

I know I'll get through 1, 2, and 5. We'll see about 3 and 4.

Are you reading Hegel before Kant? You madman! God speed to you! :a-ok:

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 03:40 PM ----------

Theaetetus;169589 wrote:
But Nietzsche is not a very good summer read. Read Nietzsche in the winter when things are generally more gloomy. I would recommend something more like Emerson to read in the summer--who by the way was an influence on Nietzsche and you can find parallels--which is best read outside on a warm sunny day.

But then, if you live where there is not much of a winter or devoid of a winter at all, then it really doesn't matter much.

Or you could read Dostoevsky in the winter. He's always gloomy. Gotta love the Russians!

Huxley

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 01:41 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;169652 wrote:
Are you reading Hegel before Kant? You madman! God speed to you! :a-ok:

Heheh... no way, that'd be nuts, I think. Very Happy

I actually just finished up Critique of Judgment over this previous spring break, so I thought I'd pick up the Phenomenology for the summer.

Fascinating read thus far, I must say, if.... well, not as clear as I might like it to be.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Summer Reading Anyone?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:35:00