The Shirt Off Your Back

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Shirt Off Your Back

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:12 am
What kind of shirts do you wear folks? I thought about starting a biographical thread, so as we could get to know one another. But then something more minimal occurred to me. Let's stick to shirts, for they have stuck to us, perhaps, in hot weather.

At work a black polo. At home usually a white hanes T, as I have about 11 of them. And little else.Smile

Deckard

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:09 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;168445 wrote:
What kind of shirts do you wear folks? I thought about starting a biographical thread, so as we could get to know one another. But then something more minimal occurred to me. Let's stick to shirts, for they have stuck to us, perhaps, in hot weather.

At work a black polo. At home usually a white hanes T, as I have about 11 of them. And little else.Smile

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:13 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;168454 wrote:
That's funny, this morning I realized that my three favorite T-shirts all had trees on them all of which I found at local thrifts shops over the last 2 years or so.

You are what you wear! I loved the tree metaphor, by the way.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 03:16 AM ----------

Deckard;168454 wrote:

Texture is damn important, isn't it? I can agree with the cotton choice but I don't even know what pique weave is. Nor do I know how to type that kind of e. Neutral colors, eh? Ah, well we balance one another out. I'm afraid of the neutrals. But that might be because of our skin tones. Yeah, this is a fun and somewhat unexpected conversation.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 03:17 AM ----------

Deckard;168454 wrote:

Now I feel like ordering a few Tree shirts and coarse pique polos. Come to think of it my wardrobe could use an update.

Trees are what? Crooked fractals? I like trees.

Deckard

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:40 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;168457 wrote:
You are what you wear! I loved the tree metaphor, by the way.

Texture is damn important, isn't it? I can agree with the cotton choice but I don't even know what pique weave is. Nor do I know how to type that kind of e. Neutral colors, eh? Ah, well we balance one another out. I'm afraid of the neutrals. But that might be because of our skin tones. Yeah, this is a fun and somewhat unexpected conversation.

Trees are what? Crooked fractals? I like trees.

I consider black a neutral color. White less so.

Yeah I think its similar to the fractal thing. Looking at trees really itches my brain in a good way. They are like extremely slow explosions.

platorepublic

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:31 am
@Reconstructo,
I prefer to wear nothing at home, especially when it's hot.

When I'm out and about, the easiest thing to do is to wear a T-shirt and lightweight pants (I don't really like the weight of jeans.)

sometime sun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:22 pm
@platorepublic,
Green or brown army thermals, but anything clean will do.

I have a NY Yankees baseball shirt which I got ketchup on last night, and as I hand wash all my clothes I'm a bit messed up over it, because hand washing make it clean but you never get those damn stains out.
Which is proof positive of why I should NEVER get white clothing.

I love imagining trees root structure as I watch them, under the soil stretching against and into the earth.
There is one near where I live I call 'Bent Lady' and she is beautiful.

harlequin phil

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:32 pm
@Reconstructo,
i mostly wear t shirts, punk band, bicycle, or chess related t-shirts. if i need buttons and a collar, the shirt is dark, usually solid long sleeve or pinstriped short sleeve. but 99% of the time its t-shirts.

mister kitten

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:34 pm
@Reconstructo,
I found a V-neck with a pretty rad design on it in my drawer the other day; finders keepers. I am t-shirt man with the superpower of changing t-shirts every day!
Right now I'm wearing an Earth Day shirt my friend gave to me. It has a tree on it. The roots almost form a circle (your brain connects the dots) and the branches are on a circle. It's one of my favourites. I think I'll upload a picture for y'all to see.
I recently was given a button down shirt-makes me look like a pirate.

I don't like pants.

Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:39 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;168445 wrote:

Hollister, American Eagle, Banana Republic, and Aeropostale. I like to look good. Banana Republic shirts are by far the best; very very comfy. I only wear regular tees when I work out or as undershirts.

sometime sun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:06 pm
@Ding an Sich,
I have never understood why people prefer clothing with a big old stamp saying it is from this or that designer.
Designer clothing can be of better quality, but I am not their bloody bill board.
If a logo or design is needed it should reflect an aspect of you not your consumerism or commercialibility.

I used to wear nothing but black.
Now I wear 5 colours, brown, green, redish maroons, oranges and yellows.
I like to match colours and these 5 all go well with each other.
I definitely have a dress code. If I am not just in a T-shirt I wear a collar.
On my bright and brilliant days I like to wear head to foot yellowy oranges, I love wool, on my more mission based days I wear a greeny brown uniform.
For some reason, although I will wear it, I do not like the conformity of the colour blue.
It makes me feel common.

What do you think colour plays in your appearance to the world and accessibility to it?
Just as which colours make your moods?

Black used to make me feel powerful, now green makes me feel controlled.
Yellow free.

geofra

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:08 pm
@Reconstructo,
At home: a t-shirt in any solid color and no pattern.
On the go: a casual shirt with or without a collar in any color and pattern.
At work: currently an incredibly bright solid lime green t-shirt with breast pocket and applied reflective tape, but usually a button down casual shirt in any color and pattern with a breast pocket.

I'm not concerned with material, and I wear shirts where you don't have to iron after washing and drying, i.e., low maintenance shirts.

I am fairly conservative in my dress. I ring the changes with my shirts because my other dress items are fairly constant.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 10:14 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;168757 wrote:
I only wear regular tees when I work out or as undershirts.

If you were in Louisville these days, I think you'd find the white T valuable. It's hot out there!

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 11:19 PM ----------

sometime sun;168769 wrote:

What do you think colour plays in your appearance to the world and accessibility to it?
Just as which colours make your moods?

I always feel funny wearing colors. Like I'm just not meant to. I like to blend in. And yet I stick out as the guy who always wears white T shirts. And yet that was not the plan. But then the white t-shirt is minimal like the not-gate in logic, or like unity. White is what? the harmonious fusion of all wavelengths? I also find white noise interesting.

Black is a second favorite, and it's good for coats. But it's just too hot for Louisville in the summer (shirts). And white T-shirts are cheap. Factory made minimal useful cotton torso-covering...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Shirt Off Your Back
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:38:34