Why do we eat meat?

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Why do we eat meat?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:42 am
Why do we eat meat?

It's probably because we evolved to eat them due to scarcity of food at some point in the past.

So why do we eat meat:

- it tastes good/our parents eat meat, so I think it's normal (due to evolution)

That's all there is. Any other reason you could think of is irrational.

I am currently a vegetarian, and I have to admit that meat tasted good, but I luckily evolved in a short amount of time (10 years or so) to dislike the taste of meat, especially pork. I don't know how, but I find eating meat disgusting now.

Watch this video please:

YouTube - Meet your Meat
I am not trying to promote veganism. I am trying to promote thinking critically.
 
salima
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 09:06 am
@platorepublic,
who is we? i think the reason eskimos eat meat is because they dont have any veggies...and people who live by the water see animals catching fish and eating them, so they do-it's less work than farming and it's also instant gratification, i guess.

i am also a vegetarian, but i dont think it is morally wrong to eat meat. i think it is just as wrong to kill a carrot, but we have to eat something-i just dont have any sympathy for a carrot. there are certain veggies that turn me off, so i dont eat them-and among the animals, the ones that i think are cute i wouldnt want to eat. but when it comes to a brussel sprout, which i think are absolutely adorable, i still love to eat them. i guess because they dont have eyes that look back at me...

since i am eating less and less the older i get, i was wondering what i could live on that doesnt either kill anything or prevent a life from reaching its potential. i mean...i could live on milk products and unfertilized eggs...anything else? maybe fruit...but that contains seeds that wouldnt grow. i could take the seeds out and plant them? i wouldnt suggest this for anyone, but suppose a person wanted to go overboard about not killing anything...what all could they eat?
 
Fido
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 09:13 am
@platorepublic,
You are what you eat; and such tender treatment of these beasts is much to be admired, for as one wise man said: where animals are abused the conditions of humans is little better... In what sense is our condition better??? Are we so kind to each other??? Do we offer to humans more hope than we see offered to animals??? Most of us only exist to serve others... Few of us are allowed to enjoy the bounty we produce.... No one can count on entitlements even in a wealthy commonwealth... When we can no longer work we are expected to kindly die, and we should, having wished our lives away nearly from birth...Slaughter is too good for animals... It should be reserved for humans because if it were offered to the fully grown in the face of the futility of life, many would accept death no matter how painful... We do this to animals, and we do it to ourselves... Until people learn to reverence all life we shall all endure the same miserable treatment, not different in kind, but different by degrees...
 
platorepublic
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:12 pm
@Fido,
Fido;164594 wrote:
You are what you eat; and such tender treatment of these beasts is much to be admired, for as one wise man said: where animals are abused the conditions of humans is little better... In what sense is our condition better??? Are we so kind to each other??? Do we offer to humans more hope than we see offered to animals??? Most of us only exist to serve others... Few of us are allowed to enjoy the bounty we produce.... No one can count on entitlements even in a wealthy commonwealth... When we can no longer work we are expected to kindly die, and we should, having wished our lives away nearly from birth...Slaughter is too good for animals... It should be reserved for humans because if it were offered to the fully grown in the face of the futility of life, many would accept death no matter how painful... We do this to animals, and we do it to ourselves... Until people learn to reverence all life we shall all endure the same miserable treatment, not different in kind, but different by degrees...

People could justify all they want, it's all too common. It's very difficult to come into terms that we are wrong.

Oh well. I pray for you.

It's time to do good philosophy.
 
Fido
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 01:12 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;164649 wrote:
People could justify all they want, it's all too common. It's very difficult to come into terms that we are wrong.

Oh well. I pray for you.

It's time to do good philosophy.

Good philosophy should result in a good life, and part of our natural disregard for all life, which has no support in the Bible which says we will be judged on the matter flows into the mistreatment of human beings... Now you can see it where people are poor and oppressed that their treatment of animals amounts to abuse, but the way people are abused in this land of plenty is little better... Until just recently they where mixing the ground up corpses of sick animals with the feed for animals fated to be our food... They don't care for those animals, and they don't care for the people who eat them... And I will tell you; that I have hunted and killed deer... It is not bad to raise animals for slaugher; but the inevitable drive for profit which runs a whole industry into madness and cruelty is a curse...We don't need industrial beef eating grain they can hardly digest to produce a meat too fat to eat, and a methane cloud as big as new jersey... We do not need factory chicken which endangers all our well being, and threatens us with disease... We do not need pork that with poultry is a breeding ground for pandemics... We need some common sense applied to our food... Consider, that if one uses hormones, they all must, and then we have to eat it and suffer breasts on our boys and cancer in our girls... This stuff is not good for the animals, and is not good for us...If the aim of philosophy as with any human art is Good; how can we allow this to continue???... Go Pita... They might hate me, but they have the courage to act on their convictions which gets us that much closer to a solution... Kill if you must, but do not torture a single one...We don't have to rock these animals to sleep at night with a blanky... All we have to do is recognize our responsibility for their humane treatment from which follows our own human treatment... Are we not animals too???
 
platorepublic
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 01:24 pm
@Fido,
Fido;164669 wrote:
Good philosophy should result in a good life, and part of our natural disregard for all life, which has no support in the Bible which says we will be judged on the matter flows into the mistreatment of human beings... Now you can see it where people are poor and oppressed that their treatment of animals amounts to abuse, but the way people are abused in this land of plenty is little better... Until just recently they where mixing the ground up corpses of sick animals with the feed for animals fated to be our food... They don't care for those animals, and they don't care for the people who eat them... And I will tell you; that I have hunted and killed deer... It is not bad to raise animals for slaugher; but the inevitable drive for profit which runs a whole industry into madness and cruelty is a curse...We don't need industrial beef eating grain they can hardly digest to produce a meat too fat to eat, and a methane cloud as big as new jersey... We do not need factory chicken which endangers all our well being, and threatens us with disease... We do not need pork that with poultry is a breeding ground for pandemics... We need some common sense applied to our food... Consider, that if one uses hormones, they all must, and then we have to eat it and suffer breasts on our boys and cancer in our girls... This stuff is not good for the animals, and is not good for us...If the aim of philosophy as with any human art is Good; how can we allow this to continue???... Go Pita... They might hate me, but they have the courage to act on their convictions which gets us that much closer to a solution... Kill if you must, but do not torture a single one...We don't have to rock these animals to sleep at night with a blanky... All we have to do is recognize our responsibility for their humane treatment from which follows our own human treatment... Are we not animals too???

And to add to your point, whatever it may be, rearing animals is such a waste of our resources and just in general quite inefficient.

Like duh? Why be stubborn?

I should start a revolution.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 01:34 pm
@platorepublic,
I would imagine we(people) eat meant because it is a very easy source of high potency (or quality however you learned it) protein. Meat provides all essential amino acids, while a vegetarian would have to look for a few alternatives to find the same levels of concentration. Phosphorus is more readily absorbable than anything you could find in wheat and cereals. Additionally, you get iron from meat (especially from liver). However, there is the chance of developing hemochromatosis if you have too much iron in the body. Give and take I suppose. You also get an ample supply of B-complex from meat as well.

I would think if anything, it is a matter of efficiency why we eat meat (as well as necessity). I would think over the course of so many thousands and thousands of years of evolution, the body developed an affinity for a more stable, compact food source. And this is not considering the fact that in the course of evolution, humans have developed away from a dependence on cellulose towards complex protein digestion (consider the vestigial vermiform appendix for example).

As far as eating meat because it tastes good and our parents eat meat, so we think it is normal, that's actually not entirely wrong. When you cut away the subjectivity of that statement, you get to the crux of the issue which is that they do eat meat because they eat meat and thus they survive. They benefit from the complex proteins, the iron, etc. and they have a better chance of survival. I think as far as vegetarians are concerned, because alternatives to meat are so readily available now, it really doesn't make that much of a difference whether you eat meat or not, because you can sustain yourself with supplements and a few other sufficient alternatives (i.e. tofu, etc.). It's funny this comes up because I just read that the FDA in the United States is taking an active approach in cutting down sodium intake. While this seems all well and good superficially, the interesting thing is is that regular table salt is where most people get their required iodine for the day. I eat sea salt, which does not have iodine in it, so I supplement what i need in one of my multivitamins. Cutting back on one general staple reveals subtle and potentially problematic issues.

Same goes with people that don't have meat. A big danger with vegetarians who don't really understand the balance that they need is that they don't balance at all. Just eating vegetables and fruits without considering which supplies a certain vitamin or protein is really dangerous. And it can actually be somewhat bad for your health in some circumstances. Some for example intake more carbohydrates than they need (not life threatening mind you but health wise not really beneficial).

In my own case, I could live without red meat, but I would be very uncomfortable if I didn't have fish (or at least omega 3 fatty acid supplements). Definitely not bad to be a vegetarian, only that you have to consider a balanced diet (which honestly I don't think many people consider).

As to the video, you may also like this documentary called Food, Inc. Very good documentary on the conventional/organic food differences, especially as far as farm raised animals.

In my mind, choosing to be vegetarian or carnivore makes no difference if they do not eat a high quality version of a given food. For instance, the regular milk you could buy at your local grocery store or walmart is just milk right? Wrong. Conventional milk has high concentrations of hormones and a feed by-product that buildup in your body fat. Organic milk on the other hand is sourced from cows who graze on grass, and in turn pass on the benefits of the compound isomer conjugated linoleic acid. This greatly help you metabolize fats, etc.

And I really recommend Food, Inc. because it shows the dangers in food quality (regardless of the omission of meat etc.). One very troubling part of the documentary showed how the primary soy supplier , Monsanto, who actually maintains a monopoly on soy seeds (so if you are anti0industrialist, prepare for heavy irony), completely saturates the seed in two dozen chemicals which over the course of a lifetime greatly degrade a persons health. Now imagine how a person who thinks they are living healthier by eating soy ends up causing more harm to their body because they eat food contaminated with pesticides.

---------- Post added 05-15-2010 at 03:50 PM ----------

For those interested, here is the link to Food, Inc.

Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change?
 
platorepublic
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 01:51 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;164678 wrote:
I would imagine we(people) eat meant because it is a very easy source of high potency (or quality however you learned it) protein. Meat provides all essential amino acids, while a vegetarian would have to look for a few alternatives to find the same levels of concentration. Phosphorus is more readily absorbable than anything you could find in wheat and cereals. Additionally, you get iron from meat (especially from liver). However, there is the chance of developing hemochromatosis if you have too much iron in the body. Give and take I suppose. You also get an ample supply of B-complex from meat as well.

I would think if anything, it is a matter of efficiency why we eat meat (as well as necessity). I would think over the course of so many thousands and thousands of years of evolution, the body developed an affinity for a more stable, compact food source. And this is not considering the fact that in the course of evolution, humans have developed away from a dependence on cellulose towards complex protein digestion (consider the vestigial vermiform appendix for example).

As far as eating meat because it tastes good and our parents eat meat, so we think it is normal, that's actually not entirely wrong. When you cut away the subjectivity of that statement, you get to the crux of the issue which is that they do eat meat because they eat meat and thus they survive. They benefit from the complex proteins, the iron, etc. and they have a better chance of survival. I think as far as vegetarians are concerned, because alternatives to meat are so readily available now, it really doesn't make that much of a difference whether you eat meat or not, because you can sustain yourself with supplements and a few other sufficient alternatives (i.e. tofu, etc.). It's funny this comes up because I just read that the FDA in the United States is taking an active approach in cutting down sodium intake. While this seems all well and good superficially, the interesting thing is is that regular table salt is where most people get their required iodine for the day. I eat sea salt, which does not have iodine in it, so I calculate what i need in one of my multivitamins. Cutting back on one general staple reveals subtle and potentially problematic issues.

Same goes with people that don't have meat. A big danger with vegetarians who don't really understand the balance that they need is that they don't balance at all. Just eating vegetables and fruits without considering which supplies a certain vitamin or protein is really dangerous. And it can actually be somewhat bad for your health in some circumstances. Some for example intake more carbohydrates than they need (not life threatening mind you but health wise not really beneficial).

In my own case, I could live without red meat, but I would be very uncomfortable if I didn't have fish (or at least omega 3 fatty acid supplements). Definitely not bad to be a vegetarian, only that you have to consider a balanced diet (which honestly I don't think many people consider).

As to the video, you may also like this documentary called Food, Inc. Very good documentary on the conventional/organic food differences, especially as far as farm raised animals.

In my mind, choosing to be vegetarian or carnivore makes no difference if they do not eat a high quality version of a given food. For instance, the regular milk you could buy at your local grocery store or walmart is just milk right? Wrong. Conventional milk has high concentrations of hormones and a feed by-product that buildup in your body fat. Organic milk on the other hand is sourced from cows who graze on grass, and in turn pass on the benefits of the compound isomer conjugated linoleic acid. This greatly help you metabolize fats, etc.

And I really recommend Food, Inc. because it shows the dangers in food quality (regardless of the omission of meat etc.). One very troubling part of the documentary showed how the primary soy supplier , Monsanto, who actually maintains a monopoly on soy seeds (so if you are anti0industrialist, prepare for heavy irony), completely saturates the seed in two dozen chemicals which over the course of a lifetime greatly degrade a persons health. Now imagine how a person who thinks they are living healthier by eating soy ends up causing more harm to their body because they eat food contaminated with pesticides.

It is also a "necessity" and "efficiency" and "high potency" from your argument for human slavery - because it is a natural tendency for huge and over population for these phenomenon to happen. It's just normal and evolution too.

Actually if you looked at slave statistics, we have the most slavery today - shocking isn't it? We are obviously oblivious to it because it's not happening right in front of us, we are safeguarded from this wide world by a thing called the web/computer screen.

Anyway, not trying to argue, but eating meat, I believe, is another example of how humans are liable to flaws and the inability to critically think for themselves, myself included. We are all shaped and affected by our environment from an early age, and unfortunately it's so damn hard to change. It's just a fact, and the fact that you cringe and roll your eyes, and disagree with me in the blink of an eye just shows how hard it is to accept this, i.e. our inherent inability to think critically.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 02:22 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;164683 wrote:
It is also a "necessity" and "efficiency" and "high potency" from your argument for human slavery - because it is a natural tendency for huge and over population for these phenomenon to happen. It's just normal and evolution too.


This seems like an unwarranted assumption. Is it the case that the qualities of meat are commensurate with the notion of slavery? I am sure there is some sort of implied (not explicit) correlation there, you would have to clarify this though. If you would like to turn this to the respect of animal rights, then the argument changes slightly on ethical grounds.

platorepublic;164683 wrote:
Actually if you looked at slave statistics, we have the most slavery today - shocking isn't it? We are obviously oblivious to it because it's not happening right in front of us, we are safeguarded from this wide world by a thing called the web/computer screen.


Is slavery's existence shocking? Not really unless you were uniformed. Some put the estimates at near 27 million people currently in slavery today. I would point out though that there would be more people in slavery today because the world increases gradually in population over time. It is more of a concept of inflation as applied to slavery, which interestingly if you adjust for inflation and compare to total world population, slavery today is significantly less than it was in the eighteenth and even nineteenth centuries. But as to slavery in general, you could apply the notion to anything. For example, one of the primary reasons for the American Revolution was built on the notion of slavery applied to imposed monopoly and trade by the British Empire. I think that in an ironic sense, you could just as well put forth a variety of arguments for necessity as well. Suffice to say, a subjective mindset pales in comparison to the arguments of an objective one. And I would think the net would if anything connect us more to world than not having it, acting more as a more beneficial medium than a shield.

platorepublic;164683 wrote:
Anyway, not trying to argue, but eating meat, I believe, is another example of how humans are liable to flaws and the inability to critically think for themselves, myself included. We are all shaped and affected by our environment from an early age, and unfortunately it's so damn hard to change.
platorepublic;164683 wrote:
It's just a fact, and the fact that you cringe and roll your eyes, and disagree with me in the blink of an eye just shows how hard it is to accept this, i.e. our inherent inability to think critically.

Although I would imagine you would want me to do all of this, I really don't need to. Mostly because you are your own person and I am mine. Like I said before, my setup has worked out quite fine, and I would definitely not impose my beliefs on anyone's lifestyle. I would not, for example, suppose a viewpoint expecting that others would either accept or be described as incapable of thinking critically.
 
platorepublic
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 02:31 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;164690 wrote:

How I wish I could quote like you. It's so tiring to copy and paste everything you said in different sections. Or you know a shortcut... :/
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 02:37 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;164692 wrote:
How I wish I could quote like you. It's so tiring to copy and paste everything you said in different sections. Or you know a shortcut... :/


My way is probably the same way you multiquote. I copy and paste the entirety of what I want to quote to word, then space out the sections I want to address individually, copy the primary quote tag and paste it at the head of each section I want and then copy and paste the end quote tag. Takes half a minute to do, but it works out very well for me.
 
platorepublic
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 02:40 pm
@platorepublic,
Just as a side-note: how about cannibalism? Is it actually healthy to eat another human being? There is overpopulation after all.
 
Khethil
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:18 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;164694 wrote:
Just as a side-note: how about cannibalism? Is it actually healthy to eat another human being? There is overpopulation after all.


I've often wondered why not either. Good point
 
prothero
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:20 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;164693 wrote:
My way is probably the same way you multiquote. I copy and paste the entirety of what I want to quote to word, then space out the sections I want to address individually, copy the primary quote tag and paste it at the head of each section I want and then copy and paste the end quote tag. Takes half a minute to do, but it works out very well for me.
Better yet, copy it to your word process. Perform the above operations and then copy it back. More space to work in.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:23 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;164694 wrote:
Just as a side-note: how about cannibalism? Is it actually healthy to eat another human being? There is overpopulation after all.


Ethics and CannibalismCannibalism and its dangers
 
Eldrad36
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:30 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;164694 wrote:
Just as a side-note: how about cannibalism? Is it actually healthy to eat another human being? There is overpopulation after all.




As many cases throughout history show, such as at the siege of leningrad, famine and desperation can lead to cannibalism. I personally see nothing morally wrong in such cases as long as the person is dead of course as homicidal cannibalism is a strict no-no. But the question I presume your getting at is why is eating animals is regarded as ethically correct while eating within our own species is not?


Biologically of course protection of our own species is an obvious part of our evolution. As we are pack animals so to speak and not lone hunters (e.g. snakes - cobras) cannibalism is unlikely to be a successful evolutionary trait. While cases of cannibalism that link with the development of kuru would make me think twice before I took a bite of delicious human flesh in any situation (as noted by
VideCorSpoon). While eating meat has played large part in human evolution, as the catalyst in the development of the human brain.

This leads to the wider issue of vegetarianism. We can't deny our development and success in evolutionary terms. But ironically the ability to think rationally now puts us in a position to think and act rationally enough to be able reject the eating of meat. Broadly generalising about people on this forum, with adequate knowledge of dietary concerns, we could all subsist on non-meat products and still live a healthy life.

My position is not so much that eating meat is wrong, I believe that naturally our development means that eating meat can sustainably can be achieved. But we have simply got to the point with our demands from a vast population that everyone wants to eat meat all the time. Demand and production has lead to waste and low living conditions for the animals that sustain our diet. Thus I personally don't have a problem with eating meat (as I believe it is part of natural system of life) , but how that animal is treated is my personal priority when deciding what I eat. With the choice we have today in western society I can choose to go free-range, organic or grow my own. But most don't have the means to be able to afford such luxuries and thus either do without or eat the "ethically questionable" meat. Do we allow people to buy such meat? Do we have the right to make people make that choice and thus create a divide between rich and poor? What solution do we have without forcing people into ethical choices?
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:08 pm
@platorepublic,
For thousands of years we have eaten food from creatures NOT brought up in this sick manner, and even more sickly presented, onesided and ignorent. Only people who are naive and easily swayed by some propaganda will jump on such bandwagon of whiners. Humans are often idiots, and resort to denial of meat, instead of bettering the condition for the poor creatures which is utter idiocy.

Unfortunaly these people are allowed by the power of democracy and capitalism to live out their sick ideas, because they have wealth to choose other alternatives than meat, often in their zeal they forget to enlighten others and themselfs how to maintain a healthy vegetarian diet, and therefore get malnurised.

Even worse they will spread their faulty to other countries that look up to us ritch people, but only gets half the story.

Revolutions are often bad, because it disturbs a very finetuned balance, often with good intend, but with devestating result, because the foolish humans can't think very far or broad.

platorepublic;164694 wrote:
Just as a side-note: how about cannibalism? Is it actually healthy to eat another human being? There is overpopulation after all.
It's very simple, laughing sickness ..bad ..very bad!
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:14 pm
@platorepublic,
We eat meat because it is the quickest food source that makes us strong.
platorepublic I wonder if you were shown that meat consumption would improve your concentration and virility and over all strength and could contribute to higher test scores on your exams whether you might consider eating it again??
I eat meat because I weight train and honestly because it is nice to taste.
All I would say is for meat eater to be less culpable of an injustice is to buy organic or at least know where and what your meat goes through to be the honour of a addition to your strength.
When I am not training I eat considerably less meat, funny enough not because I make the choice but because my body is not asking for it, I know my body pretty well, or my body knows me well.
Free meat tastes of something, something good, I would say those who eat meat that is not free don't know what meat is and why they eat it as I can honestly say that meat substitutes have exactly the same reaction as crap meat.
Know where you meat come from and has gone through to become part of you, this goes for your eggs as well, you have not tasted an egg until you have tasted a free range one.
 
platorepublic
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:21 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;164711 wrote:
For thousands of years we have eaten food from creatures NOT brought up in this sick manner, and even more sickly presented, onesided and ignorent. Only people who are naive and easily swayed by some propaganda will jump on such bandwagon of whiners. Humans are often idiots, and resort to denial of meat, instead of bettering the condition for the poor creatures which is utter idiocy.

Unfortunaly these people are allowed by the power of democracy and capitalism to live out their sick ideas, because they have wealth to choose other alternatives than meat, often in their zeal they forget to enlighten others and themselfs how to maintain a healthy vegetarian diet, and therefore get malnurised.

Even worse they will spread their faulty to other countries that look up to us ritch people, but only gets half the story.

Revolutions are often bad, because it disturbs a very finetuned balance, often with good intend, but with devestating result, because the foolish humans can't think very far or broad.

It's very simple, laughing sickness ..bad ..very bad!

It's interesting you say this.

"Only people who are naive and easily swayed by some propaganda will jump on such bandwagon of whiners. Humans are often idiots, and resort to denial of meat, instead of bettering the condition for the poor creatures which is utter idiocy."

Well. People are intrinsically naive. Naive enough to believe that eating farmed animals (organic or otherwise) is normal and good for them.

"Unfortunaly these people are allowed by the power of democracy and capitalism to live out their sick ideas, because they have wealth to choose other alternatives than meat, often in their zeal they forget to enlighten others and themselfs how to maintain a healthy vegetarian diet, and therefore get malnurised."

Wealth to choose other alternatives to meat? God, if everyone is that helpless and reliant on money, then we'd be doing all sorts of nasty things.

"Even worse they will spread their faulty to other countries that look up to us ritch people, but only gets half the story."

Only gets half the story? That's better than getting no story.

"Revolutions are often bad, because it disturbs a very finetuned balance, often with good intend, but with devestating result, because the foolish humans can't think very far or broad."

Not a fan of Kuhn, huh.

---------- Post added 05-15-2010 at 11:24 PM ----------

sometime sun;164713 wrote:
We eat meat because it is the quickest food source that makes us strong.
platorepublic I wonder if you were shown that meat consumption would improve your concentration and virility and over all strength and could contribute to higher test scores on your exams whether you might consider eating it again??
I eat meat because I weight train and honestly because it is nice to taste.
All I would say is for meat eater to be less culpable of an injustice is to buy organic or at least know where and what your meat goes through to be the honour of a addition to your strength.
When I am not training I eat considerably less meat, funny enough not because I make the choice but because my body is not asking for it, I know my body pretty well, or my body knows me well.
Free meat tastes of something, something good, I would say those who eat meat that is not free don't know what meat is and why they eat it as I can honestly say that meat substitutes have exactly the same reaction as crap meat.
Know where you meat come from and has gone through to become part of you, this goes for your eggs as well, you have not tasted an egg until you have tasted a free range one.

I got into Oxford, no? Somehow I think I am stronger than you too. No offense, but it's just so true.
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:46 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;164721 wrote:

Well. People are intrinsically naive. Naive enough to believe that eating farmed animals (organic or otherwise) is normal and good for them.

Wealth to choose other alternatives to meat? God, if everyone is that helpless and reliant on money, then we'd be doing all sorts of nasty things.

Only gets half the story? That's better than getting no story.
Please be decent enough to actually make some relevant answers, instead of just bicker.

Besides, seems you are very unaware of the pitfalls of vegetarism.
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Why do we eat meat?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/20/2024 at 03:14:27