What do you think of other members in this forum?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Jebediah

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 11:56 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;165881 wrote:
Those individuals who want to think outside the box - for example, anyone who suspects that mainstream society is in many ways pursuing a path which leads to the eventual destruction of the environment, or which fosters corporate greed and exploitation - are often required to be self-taught, so as to avoid being propogandized by the establishment. And they discover things of real value, but the establishment thinkers will usually regard them, rightly, as mavericks or subversives.

But that's what a lot of academia is. People who suspect that mainstream society...something or other.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 12:30 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;165983 wrote:
Yes, that does sound more reasonable.

More reasonable than what? Of course, since schooling I have read books and articles by philosophers. Does that constitute self-teaching? If it does, then, yes, of course. I am to that extent self-taught. Is that what is meant?

---------- Post added 05-19-2010 at 02:37 AM ----------

jeeprs;165881 wrote:
Those individuals who want to think outside the box - for example, anyone who suspects that mainstream society is in many ways pursuing a path which leads to the eventual destruction of the environment, or which fosters corporate greed and exploitation - are often required to be self-taught, so as to avoid being propogandized by the establishment. And they discover things of real value, but the establishment thinkers will usually regard them, rightly, as mavericks or subversives.

There may be reasons that "establishment thinkers" are establishment thinkers, you know. Those reasons may include that what the establishment think happens to be what has been tested and found to be true. I want "establishment thinkers" to build the planes I fly, and to invent the medicines I take. It is a lot safer that way. Next time you visit a physician you can try a non-establishment physician. But you won't meet me there.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 12:37 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;165993 wrote:
More reasonable than what? Of course, since schooling I have read books and articles by philosophers. Does that constitute self-teaching? If it does, then, yes, of course. I am to that extent self-taught. Is that what is meant?

Well, let's clarify. When you said this:

Quote:
Self-taught is being taught by a teacher who knows no more than the pupil. Not promising.

Were you criticizing autodidactism? What exactly was the stance you were trying to articulate?

Yes, I would say that your reading those books and articles could be considered self-teaching. You could have learned many things within those books and articles on your own, and you may have taught yourself how to reason out a problem (for instance).

kennethamy

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 12:51 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;165996 wrote:
Well, let's clarify. When you said this:

Were you criticizing autodidactism? What exactly was the stance you were trying to articulate?

Yes, I would say that your reading those books and articles could be considered self-teaching. You could have learned many things within those books and articles on your own, and you may have taught yourself how to reason out a problem (for instance).

Well, sure. We are all (I hope) self-taught in that sense. I did not stop learning (I devoutly hope) when I left school. I thought the idea was that we should all start from scratch, and forget what we were taught in school. Otherwise, what is supposed to be the big deal? It is the usual bait-and-switch of some philosophers. The mountain roars, and gives forth a mouse.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 12:54 am
@platorepublic,
kennethamy wrote:
Well, sure. We are all (I hope) self-taught in that sense.

I believe that that is the sense the people who created an uproar over your post were referring to.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 12:59 am
@kennethamy,
Jebediah;165984 wrote:
But that's what a lot of academia is. People who suspect that mainstream society...something or other.

I never met any dissident academics. But I had no complaints about the way I was treated.

kennethamy;165993 wrote:
I want "establishment thinkers" to build the planes I fly, and to invent the medicines I take. It is a lot safer that way. Next time you visit a physician you can try a non-establishment physician. But you won't meet me there.

Hurrah! Exactly what I would expect Kennethamy to say. Your comfort zone is also built by experts, and extremely well defended, which is, presumably, why you sound so comfortable in it.:bigsmile:

kennethamy

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 01:00 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166002 wrote:
I believe that that is the sense the people who created an uproar over your post were referring to.

Yes, I suspect so. Did they really think I was denying the obvious? As I just posted, philosophers always tell you that they are going to inform you of wonders yet unknown, but then it turns out to be news from nowhere. What we all know, only gussied up. You know: time is unreal, but I still have an appointment at the dentist's a 2 p.m. .

Zetherin

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 01:03 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166007 wrote:
Yes, I suspect so. Did they really think I was denying the obvious? As I just posted, philosophers always tell you that they are going to inform you of wonders yet unknown, but then it turns out to be news from nowhere. What we all know, only gussied up.

Well, it was just unclear what exactly you meant. But it turns out everyone misinterpreted you and then began arguing against a position that wasn't even yours. So, yes, I suppose people did think you were denying the obvious.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 01:17 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166009 wrote:
Well, it was just unclear what exactly you meant. But it turns out everyone misinterpreted you and then began arguing against a position that wasn't even yours. So, yes, I suppose people did think you were denying the obvious.

I really don't think it was my fault (this time). It was clear that I was arguing against those who were claiming that we should all begin from scratch, and that professional schooling is the Satanic instrument of "the establishment" which wants to turn us all into Stepford thinkers. Wasn't that the theme of the autodidactists?

Zetherin

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 01:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166013 wrote:
I really don't think it was my fault (this time). It was clear that I was arguing against those who were claiming that we should all begin from scratch, and that professional schooling is the Satanic instrument of "the establishment" which wants to turn us all into Stepford thinkers. Wasn't that the theme of the autodidactists?

Not in this particular thread. But in that one thread where a member was bashing the education system in general, there was much of that.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 01:27 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;166014 wrote:
Not in this particular thread. But in that one thread where a member was bashing the education system in general, there was much of that.

Well, that seemed to me to be the idea here too. Otherwise, why praise apple pie and motherhood? Should we continue to learn and keep up after school? Well, yessssssss. But who would think not?

Soul Brother

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 02:29 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;165851 wrote:
Self-taught is being taught by a teacher who knows no more than the pupil. Not promising.

Ken, you could not be any more wrong. When I was young at school I learned the usual 2+2 robot like left brain thinking. A while after I left school I began self teaching, not just reading books but thinking, after three months of self teaching I could no longer have conversations with ordinary people, I had learned more in three months of self teaching than I had in my entire schooling, and in three months I had learned more about life than people who were retiring. How could these educated people not have learned more about life in 50 odd years than I had learned in three months?

Deckard

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 02:40 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;165851 wrote:

Well, experience is a teacher too. In the case of reading books the author is the teacher. "Self-taught" is a bit of absurd misnomer when taken literally but it usually means learning from experience and books. There are more than a few bad teachers in our institutions; experience and books are often preferable to them.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 02:56 am
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;165903 wrote:
I don't know if 'self' taught is totally apt; I engage in a good bit of interaction with friends (fellow students and some professors) outside of my courses. I use the framework of knowledge I built in my self study to apply to my traditional studies and vice versa. So when I read a text on theoretical computer science, I have basic traditional grounding it the subject, though I am teaching myself the details (which comprise the vast bulk of it).

I dig it. It's just one of those phrases. We all stand on the shoulders of those who came before. I'm not exactly a dropout myself. I suppose I could be accused of finding too many subjects interesting, and dwelling especially on the elements of those subjects most exciting to me.

I have a deep love of "literature" (questionable term, but gets the point across.) Is one taught how to read literature? Taught how to read history? Perhaps you see my point. Generally those who stress their expensive education are suspicious in my eyes. Is this assertion, for the most part unprovable, supposed to be an argument? Especially in a context like this, which is obviously informal, and in which we are all just words on a screen for one another.

Soul Brother

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 03:20 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;165924 wrote:
still looking to other human beings as authorities. Get off your knees! And stop forcing your idolatrous grime on others.

I really really sincerely thank you for this Reconstructo.

I wish more knew like you.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 04:25 am
@platorepublic,
Being self-taught and being taught by others are by no means mutually exclusive. I have learned from some great teachers but have also had to learn many things myself. One thing teachers are really good at is showing you what you're doing wrong. But I still admire the attitude of those who teach themselves things, provided they are good at whatever it is they have learned.

Soul Brother

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 04:42 am
@jeeprs,
Where is ken? I stated him as wrong and he is not retorting. I hope he is ok.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 06:13 am
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;166046 wrote:
Where is ken? I stated him as wrong and he is not retorting. I hope he is ok.

Anecdotal evidence is only that, anecdotal evidence. One thing to get from formal education is what the value of anecdotal evidence is, and how to distinguish it from real evidence. That is a (as Aristotle would have said) "mark of an educated man".

But you can start a bit of autodidacticism now: Anecdotal evidence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other posters could benefit from a bit of self-teaching on this topic, too.

Fine, thank you.

fast

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 06:59 am
@platorepublic,
My friend always wore a seatbelt, and one day, he accidentally drove his car off into a stream. The accident itself didn't produce any injuries, and all he had to do was get out of his seatbelt and vacate the car, but unfortunately, his seatbelt became jammed, he couldn't get it loose, and he died as a result.

He would not have drowned had he not been wearing the seatbelt. That is a reason for not wearing a seatbelt, and I cite that accident as evidence to show that we should not wear seatbelts. Isn't that ample evidence to show what I'm trying to show? Of course not.

By the way, this is a fictitious story. I had no friend. But, I think it's a good example of using anecdotal evidence to draw a conclusion that shouldn't be drawn.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 07:08 am
@fast,
fast;166062 wrote:
My friend always wore a seatbelt, and one day, he accidentally drove his car off into a stream. The accident itself didn't produce any injuries, and all he had to do was get out of his seatbelt and vacate the car, but unfortunately, his seatbelt became jammed, he couldn't get it loose, and he died as a result.

He would not have drowned had he not been wearing the seatbelt. That is a reason for not wearing a seatbelt, and I cite that accident as evidence to show that we should not wear seatbelts. Isn't that ample evidence to show what I'm trying to show? Of course not.

By the way, this is a fictitious story. I had no friend. But, I think it's a good example of using antidotal evidence to draw a conclusion that shouldn't be drawn.

That would have been a reason for not wearing seat-belts, but not a good one compared with the reason for wearing seat-belts. Namely, that they (statistically) work.

As Aristotle would have said, knowing the difference (and using the difference) between anecdotal (not "antidotal" which it is not) evidence is "a mark of an educated man". Nowadays, a formally educated man, most probably.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/13/2024 at 05:29:47