Hi

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:15 am
So I see I am supposed to introduce myself.

I am Stephen.

I am interested in the logical foundations of math, moral philosophy and John Locke's view concerning human understanding. My view on moral philosophy is sufficiently non-standard that I am accustomed to getting kicked out of forums. Hopefully "philosophy forum" will be totally better than "philosophy forums", which proved unsatisfactory when I tried that out a few years ago. Anyway, I thought I noticed a few wise-appearing posters here, but my experience with forums is such that it won't take much to make me flee.

Is there a way to examine the rejected posts? It seems to me that the best way to judge a forum is to see what the moderator has deleted. A forum with no active moderator is little better than a toilet stall for graffiti, and one with a moderator who deletes the interesting things is even worse. The moderators make the forum, ultimately, in my opinion, at least in a forum of sufficient size.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 11:22 am
@step314 phil,
I will say this forum has been my favorite of many I've frequented. There are many great posters here, and wonderful perspectives. Disagreement abound, but within that disagreement is often a great deal of learning, which leads to understanding.

I hope you find this forum to your liking.

Vasska

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 02:50 pm
@step314 phil,
step314 wrote:
So I see I am supposed to introduce myself.

I am Stephen.

I am interested in the logical foundations of math, moral philosophy and John Locke's view concerning human understanding. My view on moral philosophy is sufficiently non-standard that I am accustomed to getting kicked out of forums. Hopefully "philosophy forum" will be totally better than "philosophy forums", which proved unsatisfactory when I tried that out a few years ago. Anyway, I thought I noticed a few wise-appearing posters here, but my experience with forums is such that it won't take much to make me flee.

Is there a way to examine the rejected posts? It seems to me that the best way to judge a forum is to see what the moderator has deleted. A forum with no active moderator is little better than a toilet stall for graffiti, and one with a moderator who deletes the interesting things is even worse. The moderators make the forum, ultimately, in my opinion, at least in a forum of sufficient size.

The only thing that i have seen deleted was a starting flame war between me and another user (to which deletion i agree). It's only the typical "wrong" stuff thats gets deleted like racism but that is the standard rule on any forum.

The posts i have seen are great, some better than others, but always a nice discussion, so join in and you don't have to be afraid of deleted posts, or closed/trashed topics.

Just as Didymos Thomas said; we like the forum and the discussions are of rich quality, with many different views and ideas.

Justin

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 04:18 pm
@step314 phil,
Welcome Step314! You'll find PhilosophyForum.com a little different than other forums and certainly hope you don't get kicked out. I too used to be one that was kicked out of forums but most of the time it was because of the way I reacted. Smile

You are absolutely correct on the moderators. The moderators here.... the very few so far, are encouraged to be more like mentors than enforcers of the law. We're all growing and all learning and the moderators of any forum make all the difference in the world. I'm proud to say that we have open minded and caring people in this forum and flaming or criticizing the individual is simply not allowed. On a whole, we don't get a lot of spam and don't get a lot of arguments and the moderators are the one to thank for that.

So, with that said, it's a warm welcome into this community. We're growing and evolving and hope you intend on sticking around. Have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.

Aristoddler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 05:57 pm
@Justin,
Hi Stephen!
As was already mentioned; We only delete derogatory comments
that have no impact on the debates, as well as foul language and insults.
Basically the stuff that you would skip anyways.

I've been banned from at least four major forum sites, and a dozen or so forums that ended up going extinct due to lack of members.

All for the same reason...speaking my mind.
So speak up and make your stay enjoyable as possible, but at the same time comfortable for others.

step314 phil

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:30 pm
@step314 phil,
Well, that's cool. I think hitherto I have been banned for my opinions rather than for my getting angry, so your comments bode well. I mostly just ignore people trying to get me into a flame war.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:07:53