Basic Instinct 4: Hydration!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

HexHammer

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 12:47 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;159035 wrote:
Well drinking too much water is bad for your stomach.
Coconut milk can cause dierria.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:08 pm
@platorepublic,
I understand the Iranian Nuclear administration says that a glass of heavy water a day may keep the doctor away.

Miss Kelly : Heavy Water - The New Health Drink!

Incidently, did anyone that according to a leading Iranian cleric, women cause earthquakes? True story.

Women to blame for earthquakes, says Iran cleric | World news | guardian.co.uk

Pangloss

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:46 pm
@platorepublic,
Water, tea, milk, orange juice. That's about it.

There've been studies done on the large number of trace pharmaceuticals found in certain water supplies in the US. The problem with worrying about it is that these concentrations are so low (a few parts per million or so), that they would have no pharmacological effect when ingested. As for mineral "contaminants", these are found in basically all naturally occuring sources of water, unless you're getting pure distilled water from snow or something. And fluoride is usually in tap water at the rate of about 1mg/L, which is inconsequential...many "spring water" sources naturally contain much more fluoride than this. Tea and beer are also quite high in fluoride.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:32 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;159075 wrote:

There've been studies done on the large number of trace pharmaceuticals found in certain water supplies in the US. The problem with worrying about it is that these concentrations are so low (a few parts per million or so), that they would have no pharmacological effect when ingested. As for mineral "contaminants", these are found in basically all naturally occuring sources of water, unless you're getting pure distilled water from snow or something. And fluoride is usually in tap water at the rate of about 1mg/L, which is inconsequential...many "spring water" sources naturally contain much more fluoride than this. Tea and beer are also quite high in fluoride.

I mean if you can taste the impurities of water, then there is a problem.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:52 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;159075 wrote:

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:50 pm
@platorepublic,
I live in Milwaukee. After the Cryptosporidium outbreak in 1993, the city updated the entire system where the water is first cleaned with ozone which greatly reduces the amount of chlorine used in the process. We also get the majority of our water from Lake Michigan. Of course, not all areas are as fortunate. There is a reason why the Southwest is trying to access the Great Lakes for drinking water.

Many studies have been done on the quality of bottled water, and it has largely been found to be at the same level or inferior to the quality of tap water. In some cases, companies are taking tap water, bottling it, and then selling it at an extreme markup. The cheapest way to get quality water besides the tap is investing in good containers for water, and going to the grocery store and filling off of their reverse osmosis system.

Oh and by the way, Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is likely rather toxic and can affect the endocrine system. There is growing evidence that it is quite toxic and will lead to cancer. Thus, much bottle water is probably more dangerous than tap water in the developed world.

Pangloss

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:41 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;159140 wrote:
I live in Milwaukee. After the Cryptosporidium outbreak in 1993, the city updated the entire system where the water is first cleaned with ozone which greatly reduces the amount of chlorine used in the process. We also get the majority of our water from Lake Michigan. Of course, not all areas are as fortunate. There is a reason why the Southwest is trying to access the Great Lakes for drinking water.

Many studies have been done on the quality of bottled water, and it has largely been found to be at the same level or inferior to the quality of tap water. In some cases, companies are taking tap water, bottling it, and then selling it at an extreme markup. The cheapest way to get quality water besides the tap is investing in good containers for water, and going to the grocery store and filling off of their reverse osmosis system.

Oh and by the way, Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is likely rather toxic and can affect the endocrine system. There is growing evidence that it is quite toxic and will lead to cancer. Thus, much bottle water is probably more dangerous that tap water in the developed world.

Yep. I'd rather save money and help the environment by just drinking tap water. Not to mention, I don't like the idea of consuming dissolved plastics. Any time you drink or eat anything that was stored in plastic, you're consuming some of the byproducts of that container. Especially things like meat that can readily absorb the fat-soluble oils.

Lake Michigan's got all sorts of contaminants-- pharmaceuticals (the lake was part of one of those studies done on drugs in the water supply), bacteria from all of the raw sewage dumping, chemical contamination courtesy of BP in Indiana (and others I'm sure), nuclear waste from the various reactors that line the lake's shore (Zion Beach is known for its high-level of tritium)...the list goes on. Most of these things should be dissolved enough to where they don't matter, and some are easier to remove in treatment centers than others.

platorepublic

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 02:40 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;159192 wrote:
Yep. I'd rather save money and help the environment by just drinking tap water. Not to mention, I don't like the idea of consuming dissolved plastics. Any time you drink or eat anything that was stored in plastic, you're consuming some of the byproducts of that container. Especially things like meat that can readily absorb the fat-soluble oils.

Lake Michigan's got all sorts of contaminants-- pharmaceuticals (the lake was part of one of those studies done on drugs in the water supply), bacteria from all of the raw sewage dumping, chemical contamination courtesy of BP in Indiana (and others I'm sure), nuclear waste from the various reactors that line the lake's shore (Zion Beach is known for its high-level of tritium)...the list goes on. Most of these things should be dissolved enough to where they don't matter, and some are easier to remove in treatment centers than others.

You guys could all buy a filter - it's not that expensive if you buy the basic ones.

Water filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or you could be a chemist and analyse your own tap water and see what's inside - then make your own filter.

I think the safest is to boil your water, and then distill the liquid at 100 degrees Celsius. Though that's quite expensive.

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 04:53 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;159192 wrote:

Of course Lake Michigan is not the cleanest freshwater, but it is freshwater, it is very abundant, and with modern water treatment plants, will provide some of the cleanest drinking water available. It's not perfect, but neither is spring water.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 05:14 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;159064 wrote:
I understand the Iranian Nuclear administration says that a glass of heavy water a day may keep the doctor away.

Miss Kelly : Heavy Water - The New Health Drink!

Incidently, did anyone that according to a leading Iranian cleric, women cause earthquakes? True story.

Women to blame for earthquakes, says Iran cleric | World news | guardian.co.uk

With drinking water from the dunes Amsterdam is lucky. It tastes well, but I prefer Buttermilk.

Heavy water is around, but scares. The administration does not know what it is talking about and even if we stripped all naked it would not cause an earthquake... Mentally yes, we would be in Eden then. Some parts withered, some parts polluted with oil and transgene mais.

You also need Li-isotophe for ignizion
Sorry, my mistake

You need atomic force to start with, Lithium (* as catalyst) and H30.:perplexed:

platorepublic

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 05:17 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;159252 wrote:
With drinking water from the dunes Amsterdam is lucky. It tastes well, but I prefer Buttermilk.

Heavy water is around, but scares. The administration does not know what it is talking about and even if we stripped all naked it would not cause an earthquake... Mentally yes, we would be in Eden then. Some parts withered, some parts polluted with oil and transgene mais.

You also need Li-isotophe for ignizion
Sorry, my mistake

You need atomic force to start with, Lithium (* as catalyst) and H30.:perplexed:

Wth are you talking about Li and H3O.

There is no such thing as H3O. Li is a catalyst? Can you send me the article?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 05:22 am
@platorepublic,
Yes but it is in my studypapers from highschool Long ago on nucleair fusion, so 30 years old. I am sure you can find me easily somethinh more up to date in Oxford.

The idea was H3O... I do not know else I would buid such a reactor. They should be working ... Planning was allready there.

---------- Post added 05-02-2010 at 04:24 AM ----------

platorepublic;159254 wrote:
Wth are you talking about Li and H3O.

There is no such thing as H3O. Li is a catalyst? Can you send me the article?

If it is not H3O, what is heavy water ?

Delighted to find out!Laughing

platorepublic

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 06:10 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;159256 wrote:
Yes but it is in my studypapers from highschool Long ago on nucleair fusion, so 30 years old. I am sure you can find me easily somethinh more up to date in Oxford.

The idea was H3O... I do not know else I would buid such a reactor. They should be working ... Planning was allready there.

---------- Post added 05-02-2010 at 04:24 AM ----------

If it is not H3O, what is heavy water ?

Delighted to find out!Laughing

Heavy water is D2O.

Where D = deuterium = 2H, hydrogen with 1 proton and 1 neutron.

Deuterium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 11:37 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;159265 wrote:
Heavy water is D2O.

Where D = deuterium = 2H, hydrogen with 1 proton and 1 neutron.

Deuterium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But Lithium is used as a catalist =

platorepublic

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:18 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;159339 wrote:
But Lithium is used as a catalist =

Quite doubtful about your claim:

Heavy Water - MOTM 2009 - HTML-only version

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 05:26 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;159681 wrote:
Quite doubtful about your claim:

Heavy Water - MOTM 2009 - HTML-only version

tha
nks

Will look for highschool paper !:nonooo:

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:03:05