Basic Instinct 4: Hydration!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Basic Instinct 4: Hydration!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:04 am
What are your choices for hydrating your body on a daily basis, whether it's for as soon as you wake up, or after sports.

Mine is of course plain water, and also my newly found favourite: vita coco!!

Not advertising for them, it's just coconut juice imported from Brazil. I'm sure if you could find coconuts readily in your country, and it's cheaper to get juice from a fresh coconut, it's probably better that way.

How do you hydrate yourself?

wayne

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:23 am
@platorepublic,
When it comes to hydrating, I drink water, that's the part of any beverage that does any hydrating anyway.
I drink other things for pleasure and refreshment.
Sometimes I need more than hydration, I require refreshment.
Don't the English refresh with tea in the afternoon?

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:52 am
@wayne,
wayne;158728 wrote:
When it comes to hydrating, I drink water, that's the part of any beverage that does any hydrating anyway.
I drink other things for pleasure and refreshment.
Sometimes I need more than hydration, I require refreshment.
Don't the English refresh with tea in the afternoon?

It's just the water, but actually just pure water isn't better at hydration than water with ions in them.

I'm not English.

wayne

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:57 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;158736 wrote:
It's just the water, but actually just pure water isn't better at hydration than water with ions in them.

I'm not English.

What do the ions do? Are they better or equal to water, your statement didn't make that clear.

Didn't say you were English, only asked if you knew that to be true or false. Smile

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:01 am
@wayne,
wayne;158740 wrote:
What do the ions do? Are they better or equal to water, your statement didn't make that clear.

Didn't say you were English, only asked if you knew that to be true or false. Smile

Dehydration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am in England. Um I have no idea what the English do to be honest.

wayne

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:11 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;158743 wrote:
Dehydration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am in England. Um I have no idea what the English do to be honest.

Seems I've been carrying around an incomplete definition of dehydration, thanks for the info.

The English supposedly have a tradition of tea and scones at 4 in the afternoon, refreshment I think.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:55 am
@wayne,
wayne;158752 wrote:
Seems I've been carrying around an incomplete definition of dehydration, thanks for the info.

The English supposedly have a tradition of tea and scones at 4 in the afternoon, refreshment I think.

Maybe. It's funny how I've been in England in three years, though I've only made at most 2 British friends. And they're not even close friends. Oh yeah, and one of them is actually mixed.

wayne

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:13 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;158842 wrote:
Maybe. It's funny how I've been in England in three years, though I've only made at most 2 British friends. And they're not even close friends. Oh yeah, and one of them is actually mixed.

I've heard the English can be a bit stuffy, especially if you are American.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:20 am
@wayne,
wayne;158859 wrote:
I've heard the English can be a bit stuffy, especially if you are American.

I'm not American either. I think the English are quite reserved - and this includes people my age. I mean sure, they go clubbing, but outside in the public, they won't even look you in the eye.

wayne

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:11 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;158866 wrote:
I'm not American either. I think the English are quite reserved - and this includes people my age. I mean sure, they go clubbing, but outside in the public, they won't even look you in the eye.

That sounds like New York.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:46 am
@wayne,
wayne;158896 wrote:
That sounds like New York.

I don't think so. New York seems more arrogant and confident. The British here lack confidence.

mister kitten

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:57 am
@platorepublic,

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 09:52 am
@mister kitten,
Tea and water. The tea makes up for the fact that water is relatively cheap. But with that being said, I have never actually taken a sip of tap water from a sink or a drinking fountain probably in about 10-15 years. Why? Hilariously, when you drink your cities water, you are drinking everyone that waters ever been with! LOL! Seriously though, the amount of chemicals in tap water is amazing. I can understand fluoride for young people since it is a public health concern, but many cities have such diverse residuals as; birth control, caffeine, acetaminophen from the Tylenol we take, nicotine, and even cough medicine. And this is not even counting the relatively high amounts of chlorine in water. I read this article on BBCnews of all places that linked urinary tract cancer to heavy chlorination in Louisiana (specifically new Orleans because of its vicinity to the Mississippi, lake ponchartrain, and the gulf of mexico). Light salination I think is alright up to a certain point, softeners (which contain known carcinogens) are very bad for you and the water tastes disgusting. If you have ever been to New York (or a Hampton Inn for that matter because they use those systems) and you notice the water has a velvety feel to it, that residue is the chemicals used. To get a nice little scare, look up your areas water quality;

Where You Live | CCR Home | Safewater | US EPAYouTube - Oasis - RubberDuckZilla (funny commercial)

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 09:54 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;158978 wrote:
Tea and water. The tea makes up for the fact that water is relatively cheap. But with that being said, I have never actually taken a sip of tap water from a sink or a drinking fountain probably in about 10-15 years. Why? Hilariously, when you drink your cities water, you are drinking everyone that waters ever been with! LOL! Seriously though, the amount of chemicals in tap water is amazing. I can understand fluoride for young people since it is a public health concern, but many cities have such diverse elements as; birth control, caffeine, acetaminophen from the Tylenol we take, nicotine, and even cough medicine. And this is not even counting the relatively high amounts of chlorine in water. I read this article on BBCnews of all places that linked urinary tract cancer to heavy chlorination in Louisiana (specifically new Orleans because of its vicinity to the Mississippi, lake ponchartrain, and the gulf of mexico). Light salination I think is alright up to a certain point, softeners (which contain known carcinogens) are very bad for you and the water tastes disgusting. If you have ever been to New York (or a Hampton Inn for that matter because they use those systems) and you notice the water has a velvety feel to it, that residue is the chemicals used. To get a nice little scare, look up your areas water quality;

Where You Live | CCR Home | Safewater | US EPAYouTube - Oasis - RubberDuckZilla (funny commercial)

I dunno about tap water in the US, but I find the tap water in the UK quite clean. Though I still filter it at home before I drink it.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:07 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;158979 wrote:
I dunno about tap water in the US, but I find the tap water in the UK quite clean. Though I still filter it at home before I drink it.

Oh man, you need to do a google search on UK tap water then. London for example gets more than 80% of its water from reservoirs sourced from the Thames river and the rest from ground water. Unfortunately, the ground water has been severely tainted by chemical residuals going back as far as the industrial revolution! And we are talking some heavy stuff here, like mercury and formaldehyde which do not dissipate easily. But on top of that, the 80% of the water sourced from the Thames is itself mixed with sewage water. There was this huge issue a few years back about how Dasani water was just London tap water because all of the sudden, you get these complaints about high mercuric content, etc. which is very unheard of in the US.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:13 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;158984 wrote:
Oh man, you need to do a google search on UK tap water then. London for example gets more than 80% of its water from reservoirs sourced from the Thames river and the rest from ground water. Unfortunately, the ground water has been severely tainted by chemical residuals going back as far as the industrial revolution! And we are talking some heavy stuff here, like mercury and formaldehyde which do not dissipate easily. But on top of that, the 80% of the water sourced from the Thames is itself mixed with sewage water. There was this huge issue a few years back about how Dasani water was just London tap water because all of the sudden, you get these complaints about high mercuric content, etc. which is very unheard of in the US.

Okay... you worry too much. Um our water has to pass a lot of safety tests. I'm sure it's a-okay. And I don't live in London. It's quite pristine compared to many water sources, and I've been literally everywhere.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:38 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;158988 wrote:
Okay... you worry too much. Um our water has to pass a lot of safety tests. I'm sure it's a-okay. And I don't live in London. It's quite pristine compared to many water sources, and I've been literally everywhere.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:53 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;158994 wrote:

Well... at least they were honest about it.

HexHammer

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:49 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;158714 wrote:
What are your choices for hydrating your body on a daily basis, whether it's for as soon as you wake up, or after sports.

Mine is of course plain water, and also my newly found favourite: vita coco!!

Not advertising for them, it's just coconut juice imported from Brazil. I'm sure if you could find coconuts readily in your country, and it's cheaper to get juice from a fresh coconut, it's probably better that way.

How do you hydrate yourself?
Beware of excessive use of that kind of drink, it's really bad for your stomach, but in low doses it's ok.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 12:16 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;159024 wrote:
Beware of excessive use of that kind of drink, it's really bad for your stomach, but in low doses it's ok.

Well drinking too much water is bad for your stomach.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Basic Instinct 4: Hydration!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:41:59