Twins have similar souls?????

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Twins have similar souls?????

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:46 pm
I had an Idea while in French class, it is a method to find out whether or not people have souls or not, it is close to impossible and a bit immoral

But I really would like feed back on it,

Set up:
You get to kids with the same exact genes, exactly 100%'ly the same, and you put them in two controlled environment from the minute that they are born, imagine a box room, in which they receive food through a small door and are taught with the aid of a tv screen, everything in both rooms happens at exactly the same time,

Now recall, its was once said, that our personalities are defined by two things,
our Genetic Traits,
and our Environment,

If both of those are controlled for two separate, yet identical specimen, then would we not see them doing thinking and responding exactly the same,

What would this tell us about humans possessing a soul???

Jebediah

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:59 pm
@Legomaster,
There would still be randomness, you can't control that.

Legomaster

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:01 am
@Jebediah,
Randomness how so, their genomes are identical and their environment's are identical, what could differ,

lazymon

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 05:35 am
@Legomaster,
It would be best to describe what is a soul. Which really we can't do since we have no scientific evidence for one and there will never be evidence. You either believe in souls or not.

There are many reasons to believe in a soul. For one it gives our consciousness immortality. Some people need and desire immortality in order to have purpose and meaning to life.

I don't think twins have similar souls since by definition the soul is a device to weigh evil and good in a person. If humans have 'free will' then the choices made between evil and good in the lifetime of the twins will differ.

Now if the question of weather or not the souls are similar at the time of conception arises, my bet is that they are but possibly incomplete. Just as their physical bodies are similar but are immature.

Legomaster

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 01:10 am
@lazymon,
"by definition the soul is a device to weigh evil and good in a person"

I think we first need to define this definition of a soul.

Because if we say that a souls is what weigh's good and evil in us than we could say that some people are "souless", all people have souls, but not all people are guided by morality, so our definition need be redefined,

HexHammer

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:46 am
@Legomaster,
Legomaster;158246 wrote:
I had an Idea while in French class, it is a method to find out whether or not people have souls or not, it is close to impossible and a bit immoral

Set up:
You get to kids with the same exact genes, exactly 100%'ly the same, and you put them in two controlled environment from the minute that they are born, imagine a box room, in which they receive food through a small door and are taught with the aid of a tv screen, everything in both rooms happens at exactly the same time,

Now recall, its was once said, that our personalities are defined by two things,
our Genetic Traits,
and our Environment,

If both of those are controlled for two separate, yet identical specimen, then would we not see them doing thinking and responding exactly the same,

1) cloned mice for lab test, are not 100% identically, they have always minute diversions, same goes for human twins.

2) there are spontanous mutaions in the DNA when you live, thus will make some differences.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:53 am
@Legomaster,
There are many, many twin studies around. Some of them have tracked twins through 20 or 40 years of life. They are fascinating reading, not least because separated twins often have lives that seem remarkably similar - both married similar type of people, like the same things, and so on. But all of this is within the province of genetics. I don't think you need to invoke the soul to explain any of it.

The question of whether there is or is not a soul is a matter of personal conviction. I think the word means something - but it is certainly not an empirical term. It is not something that can be weighed and measured or defined. I think of it as your most fundamental character, your deepest characteristics, aspirations and memories.

---------- Post added 05-01-2010 at 07:55 PM ----------

You should also be aware of Dr Ian Stevenson, late of the University of Virginia, who collected many accounts of children who remember their previous lives.

mister kitten

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:16 pm
@Legomaster,
Legomaster;158246 wrote:

Set up:

our Genetic Traits,
and our Environment,

The actions taken by either twin would not be the same, so the two environments would not be identical.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Twins have similar souls?????
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:11:12