Internet Nausea

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Internet Nausea

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:48 pm
Long ago I decided that Facebook is a disturbing entity. All this chatter. All this information on the passions, activities, interactions of millions.

The stupid little extra features. So and so gives you a rose, or whatever crap they give you. Or join so and so's mafia. See who she's banging. Well, this is sort of interesting, but not interesting enough. Not if you're married and you like it that way.

I salute whoever created this forum, as it is well made. And I hope it does well. Still, I must criticize internet relations in a general sense. In theory, the internet can connect those with similar interests who would otherwise never meet. But the text-medium just doesn't cut it..not for me, not for philosophy. I think with sports it could work. But philosophy + testosterone = bullsh*t, and I accuse myself as well. And bullsh*t is contagious. Petty wrath is contagious. And petty wrath for what? Words on a screen? The ravings of yet another self-appointed judge? The pose of yet another messiah or anti-messiah? The same gallery of roles, the same spectrum of possible moves. The insiders who offers credentials. The outsider who sneers at "group-think." Etc.

And yet at its best, it's still great. I remember a few great discussions on metaphysics, the One, causality, being, all that stuff that is out of fashion and makes philosophy worth pursuing in the first place. Philosophy with some scope, not philosophy the shriveled hag who envies and curses the shadow of what she used to be. Doubt is cheap. Air is cheap. So, of course, is fantasy. But give me the person with a will toward beauty and structure, not the person tries to make a virtue of their hatred of beauty and structure, if such a person can exists behind that pose. :BRB:

kennethamy

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:56 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;158174 wrote:
Long ago I decided that Facebook is a disturbing entity. All this chatter. All this information on the passions, activities, interactions of millions.

The stupid little extra features. So and so gives you a rose, or whatever crap they give you. Or join so and so's mafia. See who she's banging. Well, this is sort of interesting, but not interesting enough. Not if you're married and you like it that way.

I salute whoever created this forum, as it is well made. And I hope it does well. Still, I must criticize internet relations in a general sense. In theory, the internet can connect those with similar interests who would otherwise never meet. But the text-medium just doesn't cut it..not for me, not for philosophy. I think with sports it could work. But philosophy + testosterone = bullsh*t, and I accuse myself as well. And bullsh*t is contagious. Petty wrath is contagious. And petty wrath for what? Words on a screen? The ravings of yet another self-appointed judge? The pose of yet another messiah or anti-messiah? The same gallery of roles, the same spectrum of possible moves. The insiders who offers credentials. The outsider who sneers at "group-think." Etc.

And yet at its best, it's still great. I remember a few great discussions on metaphysics, the One, causality, being, all that stuff that is out of fashion and makes philosophy worth pursuing in the first place. Philosophy with some scope, not philosophy the shriveled hag who envies and curses the shadow of what she used to be. Doubt is cheap. Air is cheap. So, of course, is fantasy. But give me the person with a will toward beauty and structure, not the person tries to make a virtue of their hatred of beauty and structure, if such a person can exists behind that pose. :BRB:

Yes, we understand. You don't like to do academic philosophy, or you are not very good at it. (Those two things often go together). That's fine. You can go to forums where there is no problem about painting pretty pictures on the wall. And in reply, others will paint their own pretty pictures. Or, of course, you can continue to do it on this forum. But you have to expect to be criticized for doing so.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:52 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158178 wrote:
Yes, we understand. You don't like to do academic philosophy, or you are not very good at it. (Those two things often go together). That's fine. You can go to forums where there is no problem about painting pretty pictures on the wall. And in reply, others will paint their own pretty pictures. Or, of course, you can continue to do it on this forum. But you have to expect to be criticized for doing so.

Of course an academicly trained philosopher will see through the pretty picture and recognize the valueable input.

I think in this mondial crisis philosophy should stress the "philo" in the word. Sophia has to wait. The Forum should support individuals to develop a free mind-set. It does help me to become more aware of the world.

Question: What is Sopia ?

wayne

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:51 am
@Reconstructo,
The internet requires, from us, a new set of skills. The medium has it's drawbacks, and it's assets.

Ouuut heeere iiiinnn kaaansssaaasss, we taaalkk slooooow, have lots of space, and take our sweet time in the grocery store checkout line.

I think slowly, can be meticulous, even methodical. I am able, when I don't get lazy, to respond more rationally and clearly with the written word as opposed to verbal argument.
This medium allows me to do that. But, it doesn't allow me to see your face, or anything more than you allow me to see.
We speak with our bodies as well as our mouths.
I doubt this is such a great drawback for academic exchange, but from what I see here I think it is still a drawback there too.

People get crotchety here. I am unable to know the reason for this from where I sit, could be a headache ,chronic pain, lack of sleep, etc. If I can't see your face, I won't know to ask, you don't volunteer, I can't know.

I have to learn a new skill of blindly giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, if I don't do this, I will eventually hurl barbs, and say mean hurtful things, all for the cause of failure to communicate.

jgweed

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:14 am
@Reconstructo,
The internet is a part of the World, and can often reflect it in many ways, some of which are somewhat disturbing. It also can, by its inherent uniqueness, find a new, different way of communicating which is, I suppose, rather a combination of the conversation between an author of a book and his reader one one hand, and what used to be letter-writing on the other (but with very much faster response, of course).

The internet provides instant ephemera, but just as well, lasting value. It is a human hodge-podge; it may be mostly mud, but as Voltaire one wrote about humankind, there are precious jewels scattered in it, and one would be foolish to condemn it for fear of losing the latter.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:31 am
@wayne,
wayne;158310 wrote:

I have to learn a new skill of blindly giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, if I don't do this, I will eventually hurl barbs, and say mean hurtful things, all for the cause of failure to communicate.

I think it is a bad mistake to do anything blindly, unless you can't help it, and then, you should not do it at all. Why give anyone the benefit of the doubt when it is apparent he does not deserve it?

Deckard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:33 am
@Reconstructo,
The post title caused me to imagine an updated version of Sartre's novel. Roquentin in cyberspace. I don't think all the internet is bad. There are a few other forums in the sea. I could use a change.

Twirlip

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:40 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;158432 wrote:
There are a few other forums in the sea.

Are we all in the same boat? If so, what is the name of the boat? Discuss.

Deckard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:49 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;158436 wrote:

Arrrgh, Philosophyforum is the name of this here ship matey and apparently Kennethamy is her captain.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:53 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;158436 wrote:

sometime sun

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 11:02 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;158441 wrote:
Arrrgh, Philosophyforum is the name of this here ship matey and apparently Kennethamy is her captain.

Mutiny dont jump ship.

(says he walking the plank)

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 11:07 am
@sometime sun,
Who'is walking the plank ?

:devilish:Laughing:a-thought:

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 11:28 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Mrs Sophia had put on her white bathing-dress and made for the walkway:bigsmile:

---------- Post added 04-30-2010 at 10:57 AM ----------

Sophia had put on some weight and slowly slipped in the seawater.:bigsmile:

Deckard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 05:13 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Well I don't want to be Cartman and say "Screw you guys, I'm going home." every time I see something I don't like. Of everyone I think I've probably had the most and most interesting exchanges with reconstructo and kennethamy; and their respective personalities really stand out to me as unique. It's a shame they don't get along better. I get more frustrated with kennethamy and that doesn't always translate into learning more. I suppose it is more accurate to say that the admins and mods are the captain of this ship rather than kennethamy; he's a good sparring partner and I'm proud to call him a shipmate but I don't think ken would make a good mod. I mean the comments he made on this thread just seem so over the top but perhaps I don't know the whole story and Reco made some over the top comments on a different thread.

Philosophyforum is worthwhile for what its worth but I am looking for another forum that might be more Pomo, continental, and critical theory friendly to satisfy interests that can't be satisfied here. I'm trying to learn more about these areas so I can't lead those conversations; I looking for mentors in these areas and I don't think I will find them here. If anyone has suggestions send me a PM or drop a message on my profile.

sometime sun

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:40 pm
@Deckard,
Personal (pre)conception of personalities ought be left in the thread they were discovered,
not in the next thread where everything including the personailty is freshly covered.
Some threads are personal some are academic,
try not to blur the lines.

Leave your ego at the door until it is asked for.

Dont hold grudges.

New thread, new start.
(else i would have given up on all of you by now)Very Happy

wayne

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 07:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158414 wrote:
I think it is a bad mistake to do anything blindly, unless you can't help it, and then, you should not do it at all. Why give anyone the benefit of the doubt when it is apparent he does not deserve it?

On some occasions, here, it becomes apparent that someone does not deserve the benefit of the doubt, any longer.
More often, there is much reason to give the benefit of doubt to all.
Just as has been said, the internet is somewhere between a letter and a book, and more, I think.
Either way, we are acting blindly in some respect.
Apart from the obvious cases, aren't you trusting your perceptions somewhat blindly?

You're right ,though, if you mean it isn't a fixed point.

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158178 wrote:

But this site is not about academic philosophy. It is about philosophy and its direct offshoots. I am trained in academic philosophy, but there is very little in the world that I would like to do less. Even as a student, I try to do things outside of the box. As a result, for every A that I have received, I have also receive B- grades for writing excellent papers that do not pass the academy standards according to this or that professor.

As a direct and side note. Most people ignore you anyway ken. You can be critical all you want to, but many members ignore you because they just don't care. Personally, I don't care. Call me out on whatever fancies you, but don't expect me to care or acknowledge your criticism as I choose. Most of the time I find it flattering when someone that takes academic philosophy seriously criticizes me from a basically irrelevant viewpoint. It confirms that I am at least drawing a part of my intended audience.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 12:56 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;158631 wrote:
But this site is not about academic philosophy. It is about philosophy and its direct offshoots. I am trained in academic philosophy, but there is very little in the world that I would like to do less. Even as a student, I try to do things outside of the box. As a result, for every A that I have received, I have also receive B- grades for writing excellent papers that do not pass the academy standards according to this or that professor.

As a direct and side note. Most people ignore you anyway ken. You can be critical all you want to, but many members ignore you because they just don't care. Personally, I don't care. Call me out on whatever fancies you, but don't expect me to care or acknowledge your criticism as I choose. Most of the time I find it flattering when someone that takes academic philosophy seriously criticizes me from a basically irrelevant viewpoint. It confirms that I am at least drawing a part of my intended audience.

I think thinkers have to speak up as a Philosophers-Group. Academics a-side... I look for intelligent brains to use internet till it's full capacity.

My aim is to compare government systems and see if an economic stystem can evolve based on a durable enviroment. Ambitious but fun ! Any suggestions how to start ?
:lol:Joint Sophia

HexHammer

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:07 am
@Reconstructo,

I'm on FB, and not overruned by millions of users, I have a select few people on my list, it's not much different than any other social internet interaction.

Khethil

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 07:06 am
@Reconstructo,
... But the text-medium just doesn't cut it..not for me, not for philosophy. I think with sports it could work. But philosophy + testosterone = bullsh*t, and I accuse myself as well. And bullsh*t is contagious. Petty wrath is contagious. And petty wrath for what? Words on a screen? The ravings of yet another self-appointed judge? The pose of yet another messiah or anti-messiah? The same gallery of roles, the same spectrum of possible moves. The insiders who offers credentials. The outsider who sneers at "group-think." Etc.

There are a lot of dynamics at play here, but I especially want to echo the mechanics at work when we try to express or communicate via text only. It's *such* an iffy proposition, especially when you consider our difficulties trying to communicate one thought to another (and that human communication, in its best, consists of more 90% non-verbals). Add to this personal bias, the fact that those who speak up are generally those with the most intense opinions, etc., and you have a mish-mash of mostly bitter railing and text-based mudball fights.

There's a lot of good - Heck, I enjoy it - but these are sentiments I can definitely identify with.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Internet Nausea
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 02:31:09