What's my personal philosophy

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What's my personal philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 02:53 pm
I want to know what philosophy best fits me, ask me any question to determine this.

I got this from a test but was hoping for a more detailed answer.
Hedonism 95%
Strong Egoism 80%
Existentialism 55%
Justice (Fairness) 50%
Kantianism 45%
Divine Command 30%
Nihilism 25%
Apathy 15%
Utilitarianism 15%

Jebediah

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 03:01 pm
@etherguant,
Knowing yourself is not an easy task. Quizzes like that are just for fun. Your life philosophy would, I hope, change as you studied philosophy. My advice would be to not be concerned about what your current philosophy is; instead think about why you believe a certain thing, and whether you have good reason to. If not, seek out alternatives.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 03:09 pm
@etherguant,
etherguant;153267 wrote:
I want to know what philosophy best fits me, ask me any question to determine this.

Hedonism 95%
Strong Egoism 80%
Existentialism 55%
Justice (Fairness) 50%
Kantianism 45%
Divine Command 30%
Nihilism 25%
Apathy 15%
Utilitarianism 15%

I suppose that you are most strongly associated (by whatever questions you were asked) to that of a hedonist. Hedonism is essentially the doctrine that pleasure is good. Typically, you are either a psychological hedonist, who believes that pleasure is the primary modus of desire or pursuit. Or, you could be an evaluative hedonist, where you believe that pleasure is what we should be striving for in the first place. Or, you are a rationalistic hedonist, where pleasure is the only thing that makes pursuit of a given thing remotely rational. In all cases, you have an emphasis on personal pleasure. Conversely, at the very bottom, you have utilitarianism, which in relation to hedonism, means that you are committed to the longer term parts of pleasure (i.e. more emphasis on others pleasure, etc.).

Egoism seems rightly placed under hedonism though, since it is a 70-30 balance of short term pleasure and long term pleasure. And even in that, an egoist would find that hedonism could yield long term benefits in its pursuit. I would wager that that is your midway point, and that all the subsequent classifications like existentialism, etc. are more token rankings.

Honestly, I think the test is more biased towards finding our whether or not you are a hedonist or a utilitarian, whether or not you favor personal or public pleasure, etc.

If you agree with the fact that you are a hedonist, then you would probably like ancient philosophers like Democritus, Plato, and Aristotle (who though are not exactly hedonists, they wrote extensively on the subject). And of course, you may really like the post-Aristotelian philosopher Epicurus (ahhh... life is ipso facto pleasant).

Wisdom Seeker

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 03:18 pm
@etherguant,
my own philosophy is:

"seek the greatest wisdom to seek its greatest purpose to be used to its greatest use to attain the greatest good"

---------- Post added 04-17-2010 at 04:21 PM ----------

for me that is the meaning of philosophy.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 03:24 pm
@etherguant,
My current personal philosophy is "Congratulations, you are a carnivore. Continue being awesome!" LOL! Perhaps I am a hedonist after all.

sometime sun

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 03:46 pm
@Wisdom Seeker,
Wisdom Seeker;153274 wrote:
my own philosophy is:

"seek the greatest wisdom to seek its greatest purpose to be used to its greatest use to attain the greatest good"

---------- Post added 04-17-2010 at 04:21 PM ----------

for me that is the meaning of philosophy.

To seek is to find, to find is to have, to have is to give.
Is it your good you are more concerned with or the good of the world?
Are the two mutual or exclusive?

---------- Post added 04-17-2010 at 10:47 PM ----------

VideCorSpoon;153277 wrote:
My current personal philosophy is "Congratulations, you are a carnivore. Continue being awesome!" LOL! Perhaps I am a hedonist after all.

Yes only a hedonist would think that eating meat exclusively is good for them.Very Happy

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 03:58 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;153280 wrote:
Yes only a hedonist would think that eating meat exclusively is good for them.Very Happy

I, sir, take offense to that. We of the Totally Awesome Hedonistic Carnivores Organized Society (or more simply TAHCOS - pronounced taco's) demand equal consideration for special treatment compared to the veggies. Too long have we been the silent and comparably more awesome majority. Too long have we been subject to the persecution for the ingestion of conjugated linolic acid and various proteins the human body demands for a healthy human diet.

And eating meat exclusively is not true for the proud TAHCO's members. By eating the flesh of the veggies, we in turn benefit from the vegetarian diet they less awesomely stick too. Everyone needs a TAHCO in their life.

sometime sun

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:01 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon; Dear Sir, Hope not true offense?Smile

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:06 pm
@etherguant,
etherguant;153267 wrote:

Hedonism 95%
Strong Egoism 80%
Existentialism 55%
Justice (Fairness) 50%
Kantianism 45%
Divine Command 30%
Nihilism 25%
Apathy 15%
Utilitarianism 15%

Can you put the test on The Forum ?Laughing

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:07 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;153284 wrote:
VideCorSpoon; Dear Sir, Hope not true offense?Smile

well, since you mean no offense, no offense is taken. You know, its very hard to be a TAHCO. There are some very difficult times ahead for my organization. There are some that are say we should take a more softer, tortilla-like approach to our primary issues. And still there are others that have a more hard-line (and albeit crispier) approach to the meaty issues we hold. But in the end, most us us prefer a little bit of lettuce and tomatoes in our dealings. (PS, I hope no one is taking me seriously on this... seriously... carnivores are pretty awesome).

sometime sun

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:08 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;153286 wrote:
Can you put the test on The Forum ?Laughing

Yes me also......

etherguant

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:21 pm
@sometime sun,
What philosophy do you follow? (v1.03) | Quizfarm.com

@Jebediah
Okay then I want to know what my current philosophical leanings are.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:38 pm
@etherguant,
Totally called it, the quiz is fundamentally a hedonism/utilitarianism assessment. Note how many questions have to do with hedonism in particular. This is certainly not a bad thing though.

Here are my results for fun;

You Scored as Justice (Fairness)
Your life is guided by the concept of Fair Justice. Everyone, yourself included, should be rewarded and punished according to the help or harm they cause. "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." Leonardo da Vinci. " Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness, consideration and cooperation can finally lead men to the dawn of eternal peace." Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Justice (fairness) 90%
Existentialism 80%
Utilitarianism 70%
Kantianism 70%
Hedonism 50%
Apathy 35%
Strong egoism 30%
Divine command 25%
Nihilism 5%

Amperage

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:44 pm
@etherguant,
You Scored as Divine CommandYour life is directed by <b>Divine Command</b>: Your god and religion give you meaning and direction. <br><br>"Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations." <br>--King James Version of the Bible <br><br>"Even as a tree has a single trunk but many branches and leaves, there is one religion--human religion--but any number of faiths." <br>--Mahatma Gandhi <br><br>More info at <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Arocoun">Arocoun's Wikipedia User Page...</a>

Divine Command 100%
Utilitarianism 60%
Existentialism 55%
Kantianism 45%
Hedonism 45%
Justice (Fairness) 40%
Strong Egoism 25%
Apathy 10%
Nihilism 10%

I felt several questions would have benefited from a qualifier(which is obviously not possible in this type of quiz) or maybe a neutral opinion option

sometime sun

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:47 pm
@Amperage,
I'm an Autumn....

Jebediah

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:59 pm
@sometime sun,

80% Existentialism

75% Hedonism
65% Justice (Fairness)
55% Strong Egoism
45% Utilitarianism
30% Apathy
25% Kantianism
5% Nihilism
0% Divine Command

Fun quiz, better than most I've seen. I hardly know anything about Existentialism though :bigsmile:

etherguant

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 05:12 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;153300 wrote:
Fun quiz, better than most I've seen. I hardly know anything about Existentialism though :bigsmile:

YouTube - Waking Life - Robert C. Solomon

sometime sun

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 05:33 pm
@etherguant,
I would say from the brief moment i have met you, you are a statistician.
Do you think your 'score' describes your heart or consciousness or awareness or ignorance?
Is a test experience for you?
Or is the experience the test?

Jebediah

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 05:35 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;153306 wrote:
I would say from the brief moment i have met you, you are a statistician.
Do you think your 'score' describes your heart or consciousness or awareness or ignorance?

Evidently not, since he came here for more detail.

sometime sun

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 05:38 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;153307 wrote:
Evidently not, since he came here for more detail.

Detail of personality or detail of statistics?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What's my personal philosophy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 02:34:19