Difference between a game and a war

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

HexHammer

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150318 wrote:
The ancient Greeks used to call their Olympics, "The Games". I don't know why? Maybe it is bad translation.

What facts am I ignoring? Isn't it a fact that we don't say "I am playing sewing" or "playing eating" because sewing and eating are not games? That may be a fact that you are ignoring.
Sewing isn't an olympic diciplin, don't see how it can relate to boxing, nor any other olympic diciplin. You use a poor anolygo, useing unrelated things for comparison.

sometime sun

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:58 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;150166 wrote:
Competitions can be divided into two types: games and wars. (Are there other types?) The only difference between a game and a war is that in a game everyone agrees upon the rules of the game whereas in a war there is no such agreement. Do you agree with this? If not, how would you define the difference between a game and a war?

Are there any recreational wars?
Is war needed relief?
What does war do for the spirit?
Games have a goal not all wars do.
Is there such a thing as a good war?
Wars are never fun.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 03:39 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;150338 wrote:
Sewing isn't an olympic diciplin, don't see how it can relate to boxing, nor any other olympic diciplin. You use a poor anolygo, useing unrelated things for comparison.

Sewing is not an olympic discipline. You are right. Congratulations! But it is also not a game. And that is why no one says he is going to "play sewing". But chess is a game. And that is why people say they are going to play chess. So, whether you play X or you do not play X , indicates whether X is a game or not.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 06:37 pm
@Deckard,
I think game is one of those things that are impossible to define. (It came up in a philosophy class I had last year. It's the same as "what is knowledge?")

I don't care if it's a game or a war though. I just want to win.

HexHammer

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 07:40 pm
@Deckard,
Think another premesis for both game and war, is win and loss.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 08:36 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;150393 wrote:
I think game is one of those things that are impossible to define. (It came up in a philosophy class I had last year. It's the same as "what is knowledge?")

I don't care if it's a game or a war though. I just want to win.

I can define "knowledge". It is justified true belief.

HexHammer

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 09:15 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150416 wrote:
Think this line can translate, "naivity".

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 09:17 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;150424 wrote:
Think this line can translate, "naivity".

Have you any particular reason for thinking so? Or is it simply your feeling? If you think it is wrong, then you must have an objection to it. What is it?

wayne

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150318 wrote:
The ancient Greeks used to call their Olympics, "The Games". I don't know why? Maybe it is bad translation. .

We do call the Olympics the games, but I've never heard of playing in the Olympics. We say that we compete in the Olympic games.

kennethamy;150318 wrote:
What facts am I ignoring? Isn't it a fact that we don't say "I am playing sewing" or "playing eating" because sewing and eating are not games? That may be a fact that you are ignoring.

We don't call sewing and eating games, true. But there are competitive eating events, I would suppose there may be competitive sewing events too.

Competition does not necessarily define a game then?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:09 pm
@wayne,
wayne;150433 wrote:
We do call the Olympics the games, but I've never heard of playing in the Olympics. We say that we compete in the Olympic games.

We don't call sewing and eating games, true. But there are competitive eating events, I would suppose there may be competitive sewing events too.

Competition does not necessarily define a game then?

No, it doesn't. It may be a necessary condition (although I don't even think it is that. Someone just shooting hoops is not competing). But it certainly is not a sufficient condition as you have just pointed out with your examples of sewing and eating.

wayne

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150439 wrote:
No, it doesn't. It may be a necessary condition (although I don't even think it is that. Someone just shooting hoops is not competing). But it certainly is not a sufficient condition as you have just pointed out with your examples of sewing and eating.

By the same measure, games are not necessarily play, except in a broad sense of the term.

War seems to require some sort of competition ,for some sort of forseen goal.

Not all competitions are games, war is a type of competition. ?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:26 pm
@wayne,
wayne;150444 wrote:
By the same measure, games are not necessarily play, except in a broad sense of the term.

?

Which games don't we play?

wayne

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150447 wrote:
Which games don't we play?

I'm saying "play" in the sense that children play. Some games go well beyond that definition of play, thus the broader sense. Some games are competitions while some are merely play.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:42 pm
@wayne,
wayne;150451 wrote:
I'm saying "play" in the sense that children play. Some games go well beyond that definition of play, thus the broader sense. Some games are competitions while some are merely play.

I did not say that all play was playing games. I said that all games were play.

wayne

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 11:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150457 wrote:
I did not say that all play was playing games. I said that all games were play.

I understand that. I'm just saying that is a broad sense of the term "play", the super bowl is a pretty serious game. Not like children play.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 11:21 pm
@wayne,
wayne;150469 wrote:
I understand that. I'm just saying that is a broad sense of the term "play", the super bowl is a pretty serious game. Not like children play.

Why can't people play a serious game? No it isn't child's play, but so what? That doesn't mean it is not adult play. Scrabble is not child's play either. But people play scrabble.

wayne

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 11:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150471 wrote:
Why can't people play a serious game? No it isn't child's play, but so what? That doesn't mean it is not adult play. Scrabble is not child's play either. But people play scrabble.

Sure we can play ,but adult competition seems to go far beyond play.

My dictionary shows a very broad spectrum of definition for play, so I must admit, you are correct. Even war could be said to be played at.

platorepublic

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 01:40 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150416 wrote:

Uh.... did you take philosophy classes? Sorry for being mean, but this is too simplistic. Knowledge is much more/less/greater/lesser/whatever than these three words you suggest.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 08:59 am
@wayne,
wayne;150473 wrote:
Sure we can play ,but adult competition seems to go far beyond play.

My dictionary shows a very broad spectrum of definition for play, so I must admit, you are correct. Even war could be said to be played at.

War games, not war. Even if adult competition goes beyond play, it must still still be play if it is competition in a game. Not all play need be like playing with dolls.

Marat phil

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 04:46 pm
@Deckard,
War is direct robbery.
Game is wager (Gambit).

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:10:21