Chasing a Guy/Girl with a Girlfriend/Boyfriend

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

TranscendHumanit

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 11:12 am
@TranscendHumanit,
Quote:
But let us suppose that it is an ordinary one in which there is such an expectation, and that it is firmly established. Let us suppose you are successful in getting this man to leave her for you. You now know what sort of man he is; he is willing to leave whoever he is with if he thinks someone better has come along. He may very well do the same with you later on. And even if he does not, you know absolutely that he is willing to if he sees someone who he thinks is better. Do you really want to be with such a man?

His family is conservative (as is mine) so I expect so. Usually here dating and marriage quickly go together unless the people are very untraditional. But To answer your question, one must expect a man to do some 'looking around'. No one can be married unless they consider the qualities of prospective wives. I do not think it would be issue once I was married. And I am confident of my ability to serve my husband adequately.

Of course, same thing work for me - I would have to be sure that he would not show infidelity to me.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 11:46 am
@TranscendHumanit,
This may not answer any of your questions directly, but it will illuminate the victims side.

YouTube - Dolly Parton - Jolene (High Quality) sound

I don't think any of us can give a satisfactory answer, since we have too little informatin on the premesis of your view on the case, you give not enough reason of the premesis of why you can take over a person already in a relation, without causeing harm.

Expand on your reasoning.

William

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:00 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
TranscendHumanit;149949 wrote:
Whenever people say not to do something because it is selfish I laugh. Everything is selfish - my life is all about me.

Now you don't have to answer the question I asked you. You answered it here. Never, or at least that I can not recall, has anyone made such a statement such as this. Most will never admit they were selfish. The only thing I can do is admire your honesty.

Here's the problem you are creating for yourself. Let's paraphrase what you have said so far.

This guy you like is involve in another relationship and you want to steal him because you "think" he likes you to. Now if it's not a "committed" relationship, he will leave on his own accord if he truly likes you. You shouldn't have to think you need to steal him.

Then you say it is your right because you assume he is not happy in that relationship and it is your right because you can make him happier than the one he is seeing now can. Insinuating she is not doing that. Perhaps she is not, but that is not for you to determine.

Perhaps you mistook what you thought was an interest in you because you wanted it to be that? It is possible that he was just being polite.

The coupe de gras is the statement you made I quoted above and you think the entire world is selfish, and to much extent it is, you say that makes you too so selfish. So it is all about you as you say and you could care less about him. He is what you want..................Period.

If I am right in my assumptions, then you are a very obsessive/possessive person and that will get you in a whole hell of a lot of trouble and you will never be satisfied in any relationship and neither will anyone you are with.

If he is not in a caring relationship and he does truly care for you, just leave it alone. He will leave on his own accord.

William

platorepublic

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:03 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;149640 wrote:
No no and no! Don't instigate cheating in weak people. Don't make silly excuses to do it.

Have some self respect! :nonooo:

Wtf? How is that appropriate in a philosophy forum. Maybe in Elle Magazine.

Pyrrho

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:08 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
TranscendHumanit;149994 wrote:
His family is conservative (as is mine) so I expect so. Usually here dating and marriage quickly go together unless the people are very untraditional. But To answer your question, one must expect a man to do some 'looking around'. No one can be married unless they consider the qualities of prospective wives. I do not think it would be issue once I was married. And I am confident of my ability to serve my husband adequately.

Of course, same thing work for me - I would have to be sure that he would not show infidelity to me.

If he is willing to be unfaithful to someone else, you know that he cannot be trusted to be faithful to his agreements. If you want an unfaithful sort of man, go ahead and try for him.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:16 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;150049 wrote:
If he is willing to be unfaithful to someone else, you know that he cannot be trusted to be faithful to his agreements. If you want an unfaithful sort of man, go ahead and try for him.
It's not about being unfaithful, look up other posts. It's about terminating a relation ship.

---------- Post added 04-10-2010 at 12:17 AM ----------

platorepublic;150047 wrote:
What is not appropiate? To put some good morale in people?

Do you suggest that they should give in to their inner selfish desires?

Pyrrho

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:22 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;150047 wrote:
HexHammer;149640 wrote:
No no and no! Don't instigate cheating in weak people. Don't make silly excuses to do it.

Have some self respect! :nonooo:

So are philosophers not supposed to be interested in the morality of cheating? There is an entire branch of philosophy called "ethics" that is devoted to this sort of question. HexHammer evidently takes an ethical position against encouraging weak people to cheat, and objects to making silly excuses for doing such things. Please explain how this is not appropriate in a philosophy forum.

William

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:35 pm
@Rwa001,
Rwa001;149873 wrote:
This whole thread went a different way than I would have expected from this forum. I guess I'll go with the Lockean approach and say that the only things you have are the things you can control (in this case, the girlfriend or boyfriend is only committed to the other person for so long as that person meets all their needs and controls their affection). If they aren't meeting these needs, or you can meet them better, than the person in question is fair game.

Don't get bogged down in ethics, just like in a free market, if you are better for someone than their current match, then it is logical that you should be with that person.

I've never had a problem with guys trying to steal one of my girlfriends, if they can manage it, then obviously something isn't going right in my relationship.

It that is truly what Lock offered, then I disagree with Lock. Anything you have to control to have shouldn't be yours in the first place. Yet most are very possessive. The more they have the more possessed they are. I find this personally sad.

William

wayne

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 09:41 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
Selfish young people get by alright.
Selfish old people live lonely lives of quiet desperation.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:20 am
@wayne,
wayne;150143 wrote:
Selfish young people get by alright.
Selfish old people live lonely lives of quiet desperation.

So you think.

Maybe they are happier that way - who ever knows what the old people think.

TranscendHumanit

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 08:05 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;150174 wrote:
So you think.

Happiness contingent upon insight into inner workings of the soul. Recognition of limitating of power over external world and iron law of reality. Strictly, all is a pursuit of satisfaction. But in subjective evaluations, perhaps eudamonistic concept of happiness, or oblivion of Nirvana, is not most appealing to person. We may speculate 'if this man knew this or that, he would prefer some theology of values. Fact is that many do not.

Hard to express what I mean.

wayne

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:10 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;150174 wrote:
So you think.

Most of us live our lives for self. There is a great difference, though, between living for self and living selfishly. Selfishness is the enemy of self, and creates misery for the individual.

Rwa001

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:33 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
It that is truly what Lock offered, then I disagree with Lock. Anything you have to control to have shouldn't be yours in the first place. Yet most are very possessive. The more they have the more possessed they are. I find this personally sad.

Well you might be misunderstanding what I mean by control. For instance, if a farmer has access to a gigantic orchard, but he cannot pick all the apples before they spoil, then he doesn't own the part of the orchard that he cannot pick. Control is the word Locke used, but perhaps we'd be better saying "that which you cannot maintain does not belong to you."

We have applications of this idea even in our legal system. If you leave your car on a public road for too long the government will claim it has been abandoned and tow it.

The point is, if someone cannot maintain their relationship, then they don't really have one, and that person is fair game.

Ergo, hence, therefor, GO FOR IT. I highly doubt the moral measure of one's life will come down to whether or not they stole someone's girlfriend. And if it does, count me out of this morality business.

chopkins

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:52 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
TranscendHumanit;149644 wrote:
I not talking about infidelity - I never do that. I mean like trying to outcompete them and get his business instead.

They are in a relationship for a reason. He/she may flirt with you on occasion, but that doesnt mean that he loves the person he is with any less. Just accept it as friendly conversation.:brickwall:

---------- Post added 04-20-2010 at 09:01 PM ----------

Rwa001;154702 wrote:
Well you might be misunderstanding what I mean by control. For instance, if a farmer has access to a gigantic orchard, but he cannot pick all the apples before they spoil, then he doesn't own the part of the orchard that he cannot pick. Control is the word Locke used, but perhaps we'd be better saying "that which you cannot maintain does not belong to you."

We have applications of this idea even in our legal system. If you leave your car on a public road for too long the government will claim it has been abandoned and tow it.

The point is, if someone cannot maintain their relationship, then they don't really have one, and that person is fair game.

Ergo, hence, therefor, GO FOR IT. I highly doubt the moral measure of one's life will come down to whether or not they stole someone's girlfriend. And if it does, count me out of this morality business.

Whether or not the measure of ones life comes down to it or not, its not your place to break apart a relationship. Are you saying that you wouldnt put yourself in the shoes of the man/woman who is getting screwed over on the deal before you actually did follow through with it? Thats kinda cold. Leaving a car on a road, farmers crops, they dont have one key thing - human emotion.

How could you be certain that when you try to break up said relationship, it doesnt backfire and said guy/girl doesnt end up hating you, or at the very least losing respect for you?

Rwa001

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 10:20 pm
@chopkins,
chopkins;154716 wrote:
They are in a relationship for a reason. He/she may flirt with you on occasion, but that doesnt mean that he loves the person he is with any less. Just accept it as friendly conversation.:brickwall:

---------- Post added 04-20-2010 at 09:01 PM ----------

Whether or not the measure of ones life comes down to it or not, its not your place to break apart a relationship. Are you saying that you wouldnt put yourself in the shoes of the man/woman who is getting screwed over on the deal before you actually did follow through with it? Thats kinda cold. Leaving a car on a road, farmers crops, they dont have one key thing - human emotion.

How could you be certain that when you try to break up said relationship, it doesnt backfire and said guy/girl doesnt end up hating you, or at the very least losing respect for you?

I would put myself in their shoes, I'm a fairly sympathetic and empathetic guy. Human emotion is a key element! One cannot lay claim to another person. I cannot say that my girlfriend is mine. We have a relationship, sure, but what right do I have to her that others do not? It is HER right to refuse either of us.

You might be misconstruing what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting that you systematically ruin someone's relationship. But you should be honest with the girl if you are interested in her. Let her make the decision, that's HER decision to make. Denying her that decision is a worse harm than being honest with her. And if a person loses respect for you because you put yourself and your feelings out there, then I would suggest that THEY are the one with the problem, not you.

Ya dig?

chopkins

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 10:45 pm
@Rwa001,
Rwa001;154725 wrote:
I would put myself in their shoes, I'm a fairly sympathetic and empathetic guy. Human emotion is a key element! One cannot lay claim to another person. I cannot say that my girlfriend is mine. We have a relationship, sure, but what right do I have to her that others do not? It is HER right to refuse either of us.

You might be misconstruing what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting that you systematically ruin someone's relationship. But you should be honest with the girl if you are interested in her. Let her make the decision, that's HER decision to make. Denying her that decision is a worse harm than being honest with her. And if a person loses respect for you because you put yourself and your feelings out there, then I would suggest that THEY are the one with the problem, not you.

Ya dig?

lol so i think its fair to say i just got ripped a new one. i need to work at arguing from a philosophic standpoint.

Rwa001

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:05 pm
@chopkins,
Haha don't be so hard on yourself. I was somewhat vague with my original posts anyway, and if you aren't familiar with Locke's philosophy then it would be understandable for you to originally misinterpret my position.

It's all good.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 01:04 am
@TranscendHumanit,
TranscendHumanit;149639 wrote:
I was just wondering about what people think of the philosophical elements around trying to get together with someone who is already in relationship. Is it true that all is fair in love and war, or should you respect the relationship? What if the person you like expresses interest, is it okay to try to steal them from other person?

Yes, it is ok. I feel that if my girlfriend finds a better mate than me, then she ought to go with him. I am under no obligation to be with one woman.

TranscendHumanit

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 06:08 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;154761 wrote:
Yes, it is ok. I feel that if my girlfriend finds a better mate than me, then she ought to go with him. I am under no obligation to be with one woman.

Is funny how you say that - sometime I think if I have husband and he have another wife, that is okay, too. I rather share good man than lose him Razz

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 04:06:19