Regarding Ego

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Regarding Ego

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 05:09 pm
Dict, Ego, 1 personal pride. 2 self centredness or conceit. 3 pshchol, in psychoanalysis, the part of the mind that maintains contact with the outside world, and is concerned with perception memory and reasoning.

I think it is far more important that on first reflexual flippant dismissive.
Could the Ego ever be regarded in terms befitting such an important aspect of our notarised being?
(i probably sound like a devil worshipper)Laughing

What is the Ego?

Is the Ego natural?

Can the Ego or nature be neutralised?
(Should we try? Why?)

Is the Ego misrepresented misinterpreted?
(Are we being to hard on oursleves?)

What's right and or wrong with the Ego?

Does the Ego mean survival?

Does the Ego facilitate prosperity?

Would you cease if your Ego could be ended?
(Would we die with out our Ego?)

Is God egotistical?

Is God Ego?

What the hell is Ego?

PappasNick

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:38 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;147638 wrote:

What's right and or wrong with the Ego?

I'll focus on the facet of ego that is selfishness. Selfishness is good. You take care of yourself. Selfishness is bad. You take advantage of others.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 05:59 am
@sometime sun,
Simply put, the ego is your idea of yourself. Everybody has ego, and acts from ego, but the world is such as to encourage egotism, especially in an age of individualism. But it is really just I, Me, Mine. I wouldn't over-complicate it too much. Being ego-less is simply being selfless. It is not that big a deal, although to the Ego, it seems enormous, of course. But that is just ego, doing what Ego does, which is worry about itself.

Lost1 phil

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:50 am
@sometime sun,
Actually, a world without egos does not have much appeal to me. Ego is us attempting to navigate though life based on who we believe ourselves to be. With so many Egos there will be times when we are followed, times when we are the followers, and times when we just seem to be getting into each others way. The beauty of Ego is that it is results based. Results change/Egos change.

Now, I can not say the same about ID -- ID is still too animalistic to be very workable -- good results with ID seem to be more accidental, less controlled, from the darkside of who we really are when we allow ourselves to think beyond Ego.

Lost1

mister kitten

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:54 am
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;147673 wrote:
I'll focus on the facet of ego that is selfishness. Selfishness is good. You take care of yourself. Selfishness is bad. You take advantage of others.

The difference between selfishness and greed:
Selfishness is the concern of one's own interests.
Greed is the want of more [things] than the self needs.

Too much selfishness can lead to greed.
The ego with too much selfishness is bad.

William

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:44 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;147804 wrote:
Simply put, the ego is your idea of yourself. Everybody has ego, and acts from ego, but the world is such as to encourage egotism, especially in an age of individualism. But it is really just I, Me, Mine. I wouldn't over-complicate it too much. Being ego-less is simply being selfless. It is not that big a deal, although to the Ego, it seems enormous, of course. But that is just ego, doing what Ego does, which is worry about itself.

Bravo! Don't get me started on the ego. I used to have one. Glad I got rid of it. The ego is living with all that is you from your own recognition of yourself. It likes itself and will not get rid of anything. If it did then it would not have so much to recognize. It just will not consider such a sacrifice because it thinks there is nothing worth sacrificing anything it is, for. I know how wrong that is and why I got rid of mine.

William

sometime sun

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 04:58 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;147673 wrote:

Is selfishness egotistical ego?
Is all egotism bad?
Is ego selfless?

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 12:02 AM ----------

jeeprs;147804 wrote:

Can one be ego-less?
Surly we are not just hiding from a natural part of ourselves,
I understand that a wild ego can be very distrustworthy but is there not a part of the ego one can trust?
Is not our uniqueness built on the foundation of our ego?
it is not natural to sin?
Is ego sinless?
Or where all sin comes from?

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 12:08 AM ----------

Lost1;147852 wrote:
Actually, a world without egos does not have much appeal to me. Ego is us attempting to navigate though life based on who we believe ourselves to be. With so many Egos there will be times when we are followed, times when we are the followers, and times when we just seem to be getting into each others way. The beauty of Ego is that it is results based. Results change/Egos change.

Now, I can not say the same about ID -- ID is still too animalistic to be very workable -- good results with ID seem to be more accidental, less controlled, from the darkside of who we really are when we allow ourselves to think beyond Ego.

Lost1

So is ego based on the size of others?
Is our ego in competition with other ego not just a centered self?
So ego is not just selfish it is not just selfless, it is justice? it is circumstantial? is is based soley on the shoulders of others?
Are we only ever as selfless or as selfish as others accept or deny us?
Yes the natural progression of this thread leads onto the ID but i think we first need to define what ego is/isn't, or it may be indistinguishable from the ego that to have identity is a level and measure only of how much you extole and expunge the ego?
Should we not worry about the ego being destructive when it may be possible for the ego to be constructive?
Self construct destruct.

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 12:09 AM ----------

mister kitten;147858 wrote:
The difference between selfishness and greed:
Selfishness is the concern of one's own interests.
Greed is the want of more [things] than the self needs.

Too much selfishness can lead to greed.
The ego with too much selfishness is bad.

Is the ego greedy or starving?
Should we not feed the hungry the correct food and diet those who eat to much?

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 12:15 AM ----------

William;147863 wrote:
Bravo! Don't get me started on the ego. I used to have one. Glad I got rid of it. The ego is living with all that is you from your own recognition of yourself. It likes itself and will not get rid of anything. If it did then it would not have so much to recognize. It just will not consider such a sacrifice because it thinks there is nothing worth sacrificing anything it is, for. I know how wrong that is and why I got rid of mine.

William

I respect you very much William which is why i find it hard to say you are wrong.
No one can be ego-less i dont think.
Tame the beast but dont cage it or put it to sleep.
Self sacrifice then could be very egotistical. (again i have not come to a consensus about whether to be egotistical is infact the bearer of all world ills, what else could it be, vanity perhaps, self gratification perhaps, please insert what comes from of goes to the ego, the bad may infact have started somewhere else is what i am proposing, but do these things have to have projenitored from ego?)

PappasNick

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 05:47 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;147981 wrote:
Is selfishness egotistical ego?
Is all egotism bad?
Is ego selfless?

I don't think ego is selfless. I think ego is self-ful.

What if we switch gears from egotism to egoism? Is self-interest behind all of our actions? I think it is for some, but is not for others. But then one might ask if altruism is actually a form of self-interest. Is a selfless ego actually serving itself?

jeeprs

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 05:57 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;147995 wrote:
Is a selfless ego actually serving itself?

OK, a Buddhist take on the argument.

What if there actually is no self to serve? If you are analytical about it, you will find there really is no self. The self is just a viewpoint from 'inside your head' which relates things to this particular body. That is why it is such a source of un-satisfaction. Self demands things, it has its habits and wants, but no matter how often you feed them, they stay hungry. Their nature is hunger. They want for the sake of wanting, like a spoilt child.

The aim of philosophy is to penetrate this illusion and learn to be useful, to be content, and to be of service, instead of chasing ego's illusory joys up hill and down dale. This was understood by all the ancient philosophies, eastern and western, but in the age of individualism, is taboo. The world wants you to be selfish, because it is 'good for the economy'. That is why we are trashing the planet.

Arjuna

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 05:57 pm
@sometime sun,
I think ego means that you are partly conscious and partly unconscious.

Ego is the conscious part. I think this goes with the notion that unconsious stuff can be revealed. Then various folks offer ideas about it, looking at the ego as a kind of manikin-like mechanism that interacts with the world on behalf of the whole self. The ego is alive, though, like the whole self.

A person might identify completely with the ego, thinking that there's nothing else to them. Some say it's helpful not to do that... to recognize that one is influenced by agendas, fears, and what Jung called complexes.

So one idea is that parts of the self "want" to be recognized by the ego so that consciousness can help to find resolutions to situations instead of the self running around in circles, creating the same unfortunate situations over and over.

A person with a strong ego is good at sizing up situations for how they're interests are involved. People like that are more direct and efficient about expressing themselves and getting what they want. They make good lawyers and policemen.

A weak ego can make a person seem wishy-washy and passive aggressive, but on the other hand, the weak egoed person lives everyday with what some people experience only as a religious experience: a feeling of being unified with everything around them. They make good holy-people.

There's an ideal of a person who can be both. That's one of my projects for explaining what the overman is referring to.

By the way, Sometime, you always ask the coolest questions.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 06:00 pm
@sometime sun,
Strong ego, weak ego, and transcended ego, are all different qualities. I don't think the sage has a weak ego at all: s/he just treats his/her ego the same as everyone else's. The sage treats all equally, including him/herself. Which is why s/he is beyond ego. Not because of any weakness.

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 10:09 AM ----------

incidentally, that is just MY presentation of the idea. I don't want to lay it on anyone.:bigsmile:

sometime sun

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 06:13 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;147995 wrote:
I don't think ego is selfless. I think ego is self-ful.

What if we switch gears from egotism to egoism? Is self-interest behind all of our actions? I think it is for some, but is not for others. But then one might ask if altruism is actually a form of self-interest. Is a selfless ego actually serving itself?

PLEASE expand on EGOISM?
(sounds almost ecological)

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 01:35 AM ----------

jeeprs;147997 wrote:
OK, a Buddhist take on the argument.

What if there actually is no self to serve? If you are analytical about it, you will find there really is no self. The self is just a viewpoint from 'inside your head' which relates things to this particular body. That is why it is such a source of un-satisfaction. Self demands things, it has its habits and wants, but no matter how often you feed them, they stay hungry. Their nature is hunger. They want for the sake of wanting, like a spoilt child.

The aim of philosophy is to penetrate this illusion and learn to be useful, to be content, and to be of service, instead of chasing ego's illusory joys up hill and down dale. This was understood by all the ancient philosophies, eastern and western, but in the age of individualism, is taboo. The world wants you to be selfish, because it is 'good for the economy'. That is why we are trashing the planet.

Big what if. Self is premiere primerially for others, their consumption not own satisfaction. Deluded to think the self can be selfless then if there is no self to feed foster fester, but selfish is everpresent because other is mor eimportant than self, selfish is at least your impact upon the world where as selfless might as well not exist because it is totally self serving.
Selfish actions exist more than selfless ones?
I would say logically in this vien yes to be selfish is uterlly more 'real' than selfless.
Self can demand you only give?
Ascetics.
All nature is hungry it is appetite that lets us know we are greedy or starving.
So to be satified would be to remain hungry? Or just feed that other which we may have determined is mor eselfish than selfless party and meal for one.
We NEED to eat more than we NEED to feed.

The aim of philosophy is to find the root of the need and train the appetite. Agreed.
But alot of philosophy is nothing but smoke and mirrors.
Is the self de-illusion-sory, does it need to be seen? does it need to vanish?
Is the ultimate goal of philosophy to extinguish the mind or to set it on fire?

mister kitten

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:08 pm
@sometime sun,
When is the ego acquired?
At some age? What happens at that age?
Self-awareness gives birth to an ego?

jeeprs

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:12 pm
@sometime sun,
Sure. Babies are pure ID. Ego doesn't start to develop until the child is aware of itself as a separate entity. Have a look at an encyclopedia entry on a psychologist called Jean Piaget. He worked out a lot of that theory.

sometime sun

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:19 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;147998 wrote:
I think ego means that you are partly conscious and partly unconscious.

So the ego is our subconscious then? Part of it? All of it?
Dream we cannot be without and yet sometimes the better for waking up?

Arjuna;147998 wrote:

Ego is the conscious part. I think this goes with the notion that unconsious stuff can be revealed. Then various folks offer ideas about it, looking at the ego as a kind of manikin-like mechanism that interacts with the world on behalf of the whole self. The ego is alive, though, like the whole self.

Yes so would we be harming ourselves by trying to kill it, cage it, tame it?
I would go with taming.
I do not think it can 'complete' you but i maybe think we are poorer without it, incomplete without it.

Arjuna;147998 wrote:

A person might identify completely with the ego, thinking that there's nothing else to them. Some say it's helpful not to do that... to recognize that one is influenced by agendas, fears, and what Jung called complexes.

Yes as i think i have been trying to say is that it is a natural part of us so why not try to influence it for a change, make it dance to our tune.
I think this is probable.
Hard to do when all you do is ignore it, diminish it.
I think knowing appreciating even expanding the beast is good as long as you have it on a tight leash.
What would you call this leash? The ID maybe or something else?
Arjuna;147998 wrote:

So one idea is that parts of the self "want" to be recognized by the ego so that consciousness can help to find resolutions to situations instead of the self running around in circles, creating the same unfortunate situations over and over.

Recognised by the ego yes as well as the recognition, self is higher than one may think?
You can only control what it is you know.
Some parts of the self 'want' to be ignored by the ego?
Use that ego, teach it that what it wants to rise against or defend against are for its betterment.
Can the ego be taught? Can the ego learn? Or is it only its own agenda?
Perhaps our ego is the thing called education, we learn to survive better to prosper to be able to learn.
The ego could be the fount from which we recognise position?
Are we not better off subdued sometimes?
Does not the ego want what is most prosperous?
The self could be better off selfless?
Arjuna;147998 wrote:

A person with a strong ego is good at sizing up situations for how they're interests are involved. People like that are more direct and efficient about expressing themselves and getting what they want. They make good lawyers and policemen.

But as long as your intersets are others for them of them surley your roll and ego can be strengthened by applause rathe rthan self congratulation?
I know i would rather have a pat on the back than self agrandisement.
Again i am led to believe that the ego wants to be congratulated more than self gratified.

Arjuna;147998 wrote:

A weak ego can make a person seem wishy-washy and passive aggressive, but on the other hand, the weak egoed person lives everyday with what some people experience only as a religious experience: a feeling of being unified with everything around them. They make good holy-people.

Nothing about good holy-people can be weak,
I am leading myself in circles at the moment.
You have got to be sure of yourself and ego to be able to recieve the experience and not forget it, the ego could aid in forging new communications?

Arjuna;147998 wrote:

There's an ideal of a person who can be both. That's one of my projects for explaining what the overman is referring to.

Yes i think so also, totally an over man stance i think i am proposing
I can be proud of my ego (i can be proud) because i know i control it and it is only part of my whole, but a natural part of me it is, and those times i dont or cant control it i am not unproud because it only affects my self.
My ego is completley to do with me, myself and I, it has nothing to do with anything else or anybody for that matter. That is what my self is for, as long as that is what makes me most proud and happy then the ego is easily conditioned.
Train it, which means treating it form time to time. Change its diet.
Arjuna;147998 wrote:

By the way, Sometime, you always ask the coolest questions.

You make me proud.

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 02:22 AM ----------

jeeprs;147999 wrote:
Strong ego, weak ego, and transcended ego, are all different qualities. I don't think the sage has a weak ego at all: s/he just treats his/her ego the same as everyone else's. The sage treats all equally, including him/herself. Which is why s/he is beyond ego. Not because of any weakness.

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 10:09 AM ----------

incidentally, that is just MY presentation of the idea. I don't want to lay it on anyone.:bigsmile:

Beyond ego because he has come to control it, put it in its rightful place. Which is somewhere, no nowhere.

PappasNick

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:23 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;148002 wrote:
PLEASE expand on EGOISM?
(sounds almost ecological)

I'm afraid I can't offer much more than to say that egoism, as I understand it, involves the notion that not only is self-interested behavior okay, but it is behind all of our actions no matter what we might think or say.

Wikipedia has several related articles:

- Ethical egoism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Psychological egoism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Rational egoism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sometime sun

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:23 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;148010 wrote:
When is the ego acquired?
At some age? What happens at that age?
Self-awareness gives birth to an ego?

Yes it it aquired or is it intrinsic?
Yes self denial gives birth to a larger one?
Self control means training not hiding.

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 02:25 AM ----------

What is the ego?

Arjuna

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:33 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;147999 wrote:

I've been around a few folks I thought of as sage-like. One was "open-hearted". People tend to want to protect their hearts by creating a protective shell... being callous. So the person I'm thinking of there had something going on where they didn't need defense... I think it was by love. All I know is they showed me what open-hearted looks like.

Another person I knew had a clear and magnetic ego, he called it persona. His view was that you don't grow passed the necessity of having a persona, but that a we can go toward "alignment" of all the various parts. The details of persona are personal history... a person who lived at a particular time and place. (And I value your perspective.)

sometime sun;148002 wrote:

Big what if. Self is premiere primerially for others, their consumption not own satisfaction. Deluded to think the self can be selfless fire?
Maybe if you never receive, you'll eventually have nothing to give.

jeeprs;148012 wrote:
Sure. Babies are pure ID. Ego doesn't start to develop until the child is aware of itself as a separate entity. Have a look at an encyclopedia entry on a psychologist called Jean Piaget. He worked out a lot of that theory.
Yes! Some mystic said the ego is the part of you that thinks you're all alone.

mister kitten

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:47 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;148017 wrote:
Yes it it aquired or is it intrinsic?
Yes self denial gives birth to a larger one?
Self control means training not hiding.

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 02:25 AM ----------

What is the ego?

The ego is a part of the brain concerned with only itself. It's like a penis which is attracted to itself.

I think once self-awareness kicks in the ego follows.

sometime sun

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:49 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;148022 wrote:

Maybe if you never receive, you'll eventually have nothing to give.

Maybe if i never give, i'll eventually have nothing to receive.
This makes me terribly sad because i think i must also accept i am in need of reception. Keeping my self warm.
Arjuna;148022 wrote:

Yes! Some mystic said the ego is the part of you that thinks you're all alone.

There is only one cure for lonliness.
Leave the ego hungry for long enough it will bend to your will and the scraps you give it.
Let the ego beg you.

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 02:52 AM ----------

mister kitten;148024 wrote:
The ego is a part of the brain concerned with only itself. It's like a penis which is attracted to itself.

I think once self-awareness kicks in the ego follows.

Should not the brain be concerned with its self?
Yes Survival not denial.
If you deny yourself then no one can have you.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Regarding Ego
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:35:41