Would you pay a school tax ?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Yogi DMT
 
Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:26 pm
@wayne,
I wouldn't, money shouldn't mean a better education. I believe school funding is unwisely spent and the resources schools have, such as the amount of time student are in school, are inefficiently used.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:37 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;148076 wrote:
I wouldn't, money shouldn't mean a better education. I believe school funding is unwisely spent and the resources schools have, such as the amount of time student are in school, are inefficiently used.


Money, by itself, does not. But without it, you cannot improve education.
 
Yogi DMT
 
Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:39 pm
@wayne,
I don't think the two should be related. Unfortunately you are right, in today's world we need money for better teachers, more resources, etc. Methods of teaching aren't costly and motivation of teachers shouldn't have to be bought.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:45 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;148080 wrote:
I don't think the two should be related. Unfortunately you are right, in today's world we need money for better teachers, more resources, etc. Methods of teaching aren't costly and motivation of teachers shouldn't have to be bought.


If, as you said, we need money for better teachers, then isn't that partly for teachers with more motivation, since more motivation will make for a better teacher? And it is costly to teach better methods of teaching. In any world I know of, more resources cost more money. So, I don't see how the two are not related. Whether they should be related, I have no idea how to tell. Why shouldn't they be related?
 
Yogi DMT
 
Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:51 pm
@wayne,
Well for starters, money is directly related to motivation in our world. Should it be, nope. Better methods of teaching shouldn't be expensive, is everyone trying to make a profit, yes.

Quote:
Whether they should be related, I have no idea how to tell. Why shouldn't they be related?
Let's play your game. "Why shouldn't they be related", that sounds like your saying they should be related yet in the previous line you state that whether they should be related, you have no idea how to tell.
 
wayne
 
Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 11:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;148083 wrote:
If, as you said, we need money for better teachers, then isn't that partly for teachers with more motivation, since more motivation will make for a better teacher??


Sad, but true, money is the motivating factor in our society.

kennethamy;148083 wrote:
And it is costly to teach better methods of teaching. In any world I know of, more resources cost more money. So, I don't see how the two are not related.??


Education is ,in fact, a resource. Teachers require continuing education.


kennethamy;148083 wrote:
Whether they should be related, I have no idea how to tell. Why shouldn't they be related?


The teaching profession has been held to higher standards of honor in the past. Is this fair? Probably not. Teachers deserve to be rewarded for thier efforts too.
 
xris
 
Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 03:27 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;148057 wrote:
Extra money may be a necessary condition, but it is not a sufficient condition for improvement. There are many case when lots of money has been poured in with no discernible result. What is illogical is to think that extra money is enough to make improvement.
Im not saying its everything but its illogical to say extra money would not help.
 
Lost1 phil
 
Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 05:11 pm
@wayne,
wayne;148034 wrote:
I'm thinking it might be something like a box you check on your witholding, and fill in an amount you are willing to commit to for the year.
After a couple of weeks you wouldn't even notice the extra 5 dollars or whatever amount.

I think it's fairly common to find boxes on state tax returns that contribute a dollar toward wildlife and parks.

Tax , is probably a poor choice of words.


Voluntary contribution -- that might be a better choice in words.

It could be an annual thing where you check the box and fill in a blank to how much of your taxes you wish to apply to education. Actually, we have the ability today for each of us to pick and choose where our taxes should go -- built in excuse for failed projects - "the people didn't contribute enough for that program so we had to drop it."

Or it could be another payroll withholding - sent in by your employer on the quarterly basis -- more work, but not any different then withholding your share of your health insurance premium and sending it to the insurer.

We might be on to some thing here.

Lost1
 
wayne
 
Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 01:32 pm
@wayne,
I saw , on the news today, where they did a study that paid children $2 for every book they read, they had to pass a test to prove they read the book. The test scores for these children showed immprovement over the next 2 years. Seems that a few dollars in the right place does help some.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/22/2020 at 05:56:44