Cult

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 06:40 pm
What is a cult?

I hear Tarantino is cult but has far to many members,
I hear Christianity is a cult but has far to many memebers,
I hear Red Dwarf is a cult and sertainly started out this way but now has many members,
Is it a sect?
Is it a religion?
Is it a film?
Is it a fashion?
Is it a faze?
Is it a craze?

What is a cult?

(and i can read the dictionary)
 
PappasNick
 
Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 06:53 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;144893 wrote:
What is a cult?

I hear Tarantino is cult but has far to many members,
I hear Christianity is a cult but has far to many memebers,
I hear Red Dwarf is a cult and sertainly started out this way but now has many members,
Is it a sect?
Is it a religion?
Is it a film?
Is it a fashion?
Is it a faze?
Is it a craze?

What is a cult?

(and i can read the dictionary)


I think cults involve esoteric knowledge.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 07:44 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;144901 wrote:
I think cults involve esoteric knowledge.

I dont understand, please expand
 
PappasNick
 
Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 07:56 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;144923 wrote:
I dont understand, please expand


Cults rely on the distinction between esoteric (closed, or inside) and exoteric (open, or outside) knowledge. Those on the outside only get the exoteric version of things. But the insiders get the esoteric view. They are in the know, as they say.
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 08:56 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;144893 wrote:
What is a cult?

I hear Tarantino is cult but has far to many members,
I hear Christianity is a cult but has far to many memebers,
I hear Red Dwarf is a cult and sertainly started out this way but now has many members,
Is it a sect?
Is it a religion?
Is it a film?
Is it a fashion?
Is it a faze?
Is it a craze?

What is a cult?

(and i can read the dictionary)


A Cult is mass Hy storia. Re-jects who can;t survive in public.Laughing
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 09:37 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;144950 wrote:
A Cult is mass Hy storia. Re-jects who can;t survive in public.Laughing

Then a cult can be one person? religion? art?
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 10:47 pm
@sometime sun,
As far as I understand cults, I get more sense of the term from the etymological roots. "Cult" is essentially linked to the figurative sense of "education by training or education," which is in essence cultivation. I think in many respects, many choose to solely link the word "cult" to ritual or religious meanings, but even in that regard, I still think the former definition of "education" and so on applies.

So maybe you could say that anything which involved education or cultivation could itself be considered a cult of some kind. Would this apply to rationalism (for instance) as a cult? Maybe. Rationalism was not especially warmly accepted within the normative philosophical framework in the times of Descartes, Spinoza, and Leibniz for example. Even in the case of Spinoza, his views of God (and substantial metaphysics) caused a great deal of issue between himself and the Jewish community. Would he not have been considered in some respects an endorser of a rationalistic cult (ideological cultivation) in most respects then, both in a religious sense and in an educational sense?
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:01 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;145007 wrote:
As far as I understand cults, I get more sense of the term from the etymological roots. "Cult" is essentially linked to the figurative sense of "education by training or education," which is in essence cultivation. I think in many respects, many choose to solely link the word "cult" to ritual or religious meanings, but even in that regard, I still think the former definition of "education" and so on applies.

So maybe you could say that anything which involved education or cultivation could itself be considered a cult of some kind. Would this apply to rationalism (for instance) as a cult? Maybe. Rationalism was not especially warmly accepted within the normative philosophical framework in the times of Descartes, Spinoza, and Leibniz for example. Even in the case of Spinoza, his views of God (and substantial metaphysics) caused a great deal of issue between himself and the Jewish community. Would he not have been considered in some respects an endorser of a rationalistic cult (ideological cultivation) in most respects then, both in a religious sense and in an educational sense?

Whatis educational a'bout Rap-music ? Is it like modern Ras-ta ?
I love Bob Marley...

Do not care to remember modern Gangster rap.
Not for 51%
 
Lost1 phil
 
Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:59 am
@sometime sun,
I very much like what Pappanick said.

If a membership takes you from what it considers outside of "it" and educates you to believe that only what is inside is important/has meaning, and then separates you as much as possible from what it considered outside of "it" -- it has cultivated you into "it"self.

I'm not sure if all organized religions could be considered cults or not. It appears that such organizations only get label "cults" when the end result is damaging. Gotta admit there have been periods in most religions when the cult title fit.

Geez...now I'll have to admit I don't know.

Lost1
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:39 pm
@Lost1 phil,
[CENTER][/CENTER]
 
bmcreider
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 04:59 pm
@sometime sun,
Could a multi-level marketing scheme, or a pyramid scheme, be considered a cult? Or do they just present themselves as having secret knowledge, but they really don't? But does any cult really have secret knowledge, or is the very definition of a cult make them crazy?
 
PappasNick
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:20 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;145841 wrote:
Could a multi-level marketing scheme, or a pyramid scheme, be considered a cult? Or do they just present themselves as having secret knowledge, but they really don't? But does any cult really have secret knowledge, or is the very definition of a cult make them crazy?


I like the question you are raising about whether a cult must have secret knowledge or whether it's enough to pretend to have it. I'm inclined to say pretending to have it is enough.

I do think certain business schemes can be cults.
 
bmcreider
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:32 pm
@sometime sun,
So can a cult be too small to be a cult, or too big? Is cult just a useless word outside of media sensationalism? Surely Gandhi wasn't a member of a cult, or MLK, although what they started was, at first, thought of as strange or false by the majority.

Case by case basis, I suppose.
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:40 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;145841 wrote:
Could a multi-level marketing scheme, or a pyramid scheme, be considered a cult? Or do they just present themselves as having secret knowledge, but they really don't? But does any cult really have secret knowledge, or is the very definition of a cult make them crazy?


I was so mad, i made a Boeuff Maddoff.

Yes, when you value money it could become a religieus cult

Kindness,
Pepijn Sweep
lictor
:bigsmile:
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:51 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
What is the difference between a cult and a religion?
Why does a religion hate being called a cult?
Does a cult just not care?

What is Scientology?
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:57 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;145869 wrote:
What is the difference between a cult and a religion?
Why does a religion hate being called a cult?
Does a cult just not care?

What is Scientology?

Pyramids

Personally I would be a cult. No fixed buidings but that is impossible.

Religions enough I think

Count on travel & teach Summerschool, Springbreak etc.
Modern scolar
 
bmcreider
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:19 pm
@sometime sun,
I think any belief system has some element of cult in it, or some potential for it, doesn't it?

But aren't some beliefs truly outrageous or xenophobic, like the KKK? Thus, there is a perception of "moderation" in consumerism, or a possible equilibrium, but is there one for the KKK? Is the absence of equilibrium in beliefs what really defines the difference of a cult as compared to other belief systems? But, like you asked, what about religion. Plenty of people, and other religions, accuse religion of being totally baseless...
 
PappasNick
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:30 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;145869 wrote:
What is the difference between a cult and a religion?


Religions typically are established or recognized in some official way. In the U.S., for example, there is debate over official status for certain organizations so that they can enjoy tax benefits.
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:48 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;145882 wrote:
Religions typically are established or recognized in some official way. In the U.S., for example, there is debate over official status for certain organizations so that they can enjoy tax benefits.


We also (in Amsterdam) have Freedom of Religion. That's why Satans Church was allowed in town. Even then they committed tax-fraud. Who would think a church/religion would do such a thing ?:bigsmile:
 
Krumple
 
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:16 pm
@sometime sun,
Imo Christianity is a cult. It just so happens to be a very popular one. It involves itself in child indoctrination and the spreading of false information. It tries in every turn to undermine scientific understanding and not only that but the scientific method itself. It insists the follower abandon reason and resort to a god did it stance. It sells a false hope that it can not be verified and relies heavily on the follower to accept it.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/22/2024 at 09:30:31