Where the heck are the women?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Where the heck are the women?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:12 am
Now I'v wanderd through half a life and wonderd where the women are hiding in our every day.

- computer-cafe ~95% men (most of the time 100%)
- discoteques ~70% men
- cafe ~50%
- MMO games ~75% men (sims online 85% women)
- restaurent chefs 99% men

...etc..etc

Only in hospitals I note there are an abundance of women, but where else are they hiding?

Is this weird differenciation based on womens need for security in social interaction of non-nerdiness? Where men are often more indifferent with being labled nerdy? Further don't have a great competiiton instinct or moneymaker instinct?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:44 am
@HexHammer,
USATODAY.com - College gender gap widens: 57% are women'

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 11:02 am
@VideCorSpoon,
What you describe are women who has sight of a clear end goal, if it has no clear end goal, I don't see any major amount of women engageing in a mere nerdy endulgence activity in public places.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 11:27 am
@HexHammer,
Why (Most) Women Like to Shop : Discovery News
(2) " /> <meta name="robots" content="index,follow"> <title>Video Game Features, PC Game Features

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 11:43 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Uhmm, I don't quite agree with these statements.

It has long been considerd social accepted with women and their shopping spree, just that in later years it has been labled as nerdy, so I wouldn't agree fully with this labeling.

Per se you are right with women and major gaming activity, but that's like comparing rap music to classical music, it involves 2 different kinds of audience, with differen age, background, lingo ..etc.

The examplifyed games, are extremely simple, with very little rules to comprehend, no social engagemen, no enchancemen of funfactor in multiplayer ..etc.

I would like a more accurate view on the distribution between complex games, simple games, social games, and solo games ..etc.

chad3006

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 11:58 am
@HexHammer,
Where have all the young girls gone?
Taken husbands every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 12:28 pm
@VideCorSpoon,

How are the numbers for the forum ?
Are women welcomed enough ?

I admire some woman; she's a friend to me for 30 years. She has a busy, responsable job and raises a husband and two daughters. She is chronicly tired, never complains. I just think woman carry US men like beer, babbling a'bout the Univers; women are more Earth, man are more like aether.

Both necessary: bit better learning & bunderstanding would make things easier for all.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 01:52 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
HexHammer;142658 wrote:
It has long been considerd social accepted with women and their shopping spree, just that in later years it has been labled as nerdy, so I wouldn't agree fully with this labeling.

Problem is accepted by whom? Men? Like I said, it is a relative thing we are trying to attribute here. And by no means is it widely agreed as nerdy for women to go on shopping sprees. What the argument is is that men (because they do not consider it as popular to themselves) find it unpopular and consequently nerdy (if to be nerdy is to be unpopular). It is an issue of relative attribution.
HexHammer;142658 wrote:
Per se you are right with women and major gaming activity, but that's like comparing rap music to classical music, it involves 2 different kinds of audience, with differen age, background, lingo ..etc.
HexHammer;142658 wrote:
The examplifyed games, are extremely simple, with very little rules to comprehend, no social engagemen, no enchancemen of funfactor in multiplayer ..etc. I would like a more accurate view on the distribution between complex games, simple games, social games, and solo games ..etc.

Simplicity is relative though. What I consider hard, many women would consider simple and vice versa. Sex may not be such a good factor to consider rather than the capacity to learn. Both sexes are equal in this respect and it is not debatable. And apparently, according to the IGDA, women represent roughly 40 percent of overall gamers! (1) Honestly, I thought it was a lot less, but those are the facts. Women also average 7.4 hours per week in gaming time. Obviously, they make up a huge part of the overall market, so that would mean that in turn may form a large factor in the popularity numbers of most all games. And in another interesting point, women tend to have better hand eye coordination, a must for video games in particular. (2) So nothing to prohibit a woman from playing a game as good or even better than a man. Preference may be a primary culprit, which is indeed relative.

(1) Just stop it already: Women do play video games | The Digital Home - CNET News
(2) Women In Combat - Free Online Library

Pepijn Sweep;142671 wrote:
How are the numbers for the forum ?
Are women welcomed enough ?

I admire some woman; she's a friend to me for 30 years. She has a busy, responsable job and raises a husband and two daughters. She is chronicly tired, never complains. I just think woman carry US men like beer, babbling a'bout the Univers; women are more Earth, man are more like aether.

Both necessary: bit better learning & bunderstanding would make things easier for all.

I honestly don't know what the ratio is of men to women on the forum. However, I understand that many members on the forum are women, and many of them do not openly let on that they are in fact women. The joys of the forum are that you will not be judged on your sex or gender, but merely on the content of your posts. I would honestly do the same thing were I a woman. The issue of whether or not women are welcomed enough really depend on the majority of members and their own particular treatment of members. I treat members who happen to be women with the same respect as men and also expect the same quality and attention to detail that I would expect from men.

As far as women in particular, I tend to make sure I do not have any generalities about them. No special treatment and that kind of thing, only as far as the forum is concerned the quality of their content. I am also of the less than popular opinion that men tend chauvinism, even when purportedly in favor of women's equality and so on. Unfortunately, some preconceptions of women are so ingrained that a dynamic shift in understanding as equality is next to impossible for some. But that's my own opinion.

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 03:59 pm
@HexHammer,
Well anyways, a mere 10% in male female gaming does not account for the rest of the delusive women.

WHERE THE HECK ARE THEY?!

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:11 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142729 wrote:
Well anyways, a mere 10% in male female gaming does not account for the rest of the delusive women.

WHERE THE HECK ARE THEY?!

Don't you mean "elusive" rather than "delusive"?

Maybe they are trying to avoid you. What have you been doing to them?

In my public pastimes, I encounter women with great frequency. I like hiking, and in a popular area I enjoy, I encounter approximately the same numbers of men and women. If, however, you choose to do things that most women don't like to do, you should not be surprised if you find few women there doing those things. If nothing you enjoy is enjoyed by women, maybe you should forget about women and hook up with someone with whom you have something in common instead.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:13 pm
@HexHammer,

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:30 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;142735 wrote:

In Old Europe women gathered land, titles and properties. They were the ones arranging the marriages between all-ready related families. In Germany they started a little book Who's Who's Royal Cousin twice related

They also took care of the farm if the man went sailing or to war.

Nowadays we make cake and preserves, serve a hot meal twice.

Call me once more unproductive...:shifty:

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:36 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;142734 wrote:
Don't you mean "elusive" rather than "delusive"?

Maybe they are trying to avoid you. What have you been doing to them?
I do! Was too hastely in my writing!

Elusive!

sometime sun

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:48 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
It strikes me that women are more social than mens solitary.
Women prefer to play with other women, they are in fact way more fun than men, they are the ones who plan the parties.
Men can play on their own and dont go to the parties that women plan.

Now as for philosopher thinker women, does your distinction of their absence mean they are a different kind of philosopher thinker?
That a female philosopher is different to a male one?
They are usually to busy living life or dealing with it to spend so much time alone.

The question should be is it the solitary person that maketh the thinker?

As i said women are either doing all the work behind the scenes or having all the fun by painting them, which they dont need men for.
Men miss out on women, they are there, men just have a hard time seeing or inviting them to stay longer than the night.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 05:04 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;142746 wrote:
It strikes me that women are more social than mens solitary.
Women prefer to play with other women, they are in fact way more fun than men, they are the ones who plan the parties.
Men can play on their own and dont go to the parties that women plan.

Now as for philosopher thinker women, does your distinction of their absence mean they are a different kind of philosopher thinker?
That a female philosopher is different to a male one?
They are usually to busy living life or dealing with it to spend so much time alone.

The question should be is it the solitary person that maketh the thinker?

As i said women are either doing all the work behind the scenes or having all the fun by painting them, which they dont need men for.
Men miss out on women, they are there, men just have a hard time seeing or inviting them to stay longer than the night.

[CENTER]:shifty:
I am a male gay, living to-gether with Spanish boyfriend. Self I could swim back to were I was born if it wasn't for those wooden doors that block the water. Well, I would take my bike... I am what you call a local.

As well in hectic Times as in Quiet Times there is a lot to learn my sis always tells me. I try to prove that empirically. now i live more boeddhist than is pleasent. All day consious is not fun.

I think man and women are dfferent; what person is the same as the next ? Some personality threads might not be as genetic as we all-ways say.

PepI TYM:whoa-dude:
[/CENTER]

HexHammer

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 05:14 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;142949 wrote:
I am a male gay
Ah! That explains your very colorful types.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 05:20 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142953 wrote:
Ah! That explains your very colorful types.

False generalisation.
Lotst of gay are totally grey.
i love colours>
SHARE IQ Forum
Go .org
Attrackt !

I will probable wearing a fishermen'swife apron (type Edam)

HexHammer

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 06:23 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;142954 wrote:
False generalisation.
Lotst of gay are totally grey.
i love colours>
SHARE IQ Forum
Go .org
Attrackt !
Then why isn't such colorful types observed at hetros?

sometime sun

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 07:47 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142964 wrote:
Then why isn't such colorful types observed at hetros?

Because they lack the feminine aspect that to know they are the player and the scenery< and they want their backdrop to light up the sky.
Why not let everyone see your beauty, it is not just skin deep, but you cant see everyones heart so why not make it a second skin.
Fashion may only be less than skin deep but it shows the world more than the skin, if you ask me (which you didn't) God should have make skin colour the spectrum of the rainbow, not just black or white.
But i think you will also find that straight men and gay women are finding it easier to show more of their hidden colour as women and gays take over the world, or at least become accepted and intergrated by it.
Who's intergrating who?

salima

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:47 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;142981 wrote:
Because they lack the feminine aspect that to know they are the player and the scenery< and they want their backdrop to light up the sky.
Why not let everyone see your beauty, it is not just skin deep, but you cant see everyones heart so why not make it a second skin.
Fashion may only be less than skin deep but it shows the world more than the skin, if you ask me (which you didn't) God should have make skin colour the spectrum of the rainbow, not just black or white.
But i think you will also find that straight men and gay women are finding it easier to show more of their hidden colour as women and gays take over the world, or at least become accepted and intergrated by it.
Who's intergrating who?

fashion is interesting-it doesnt have to be a display of conceit or superiority complex or showing off trying to psychologically call other people names like 'ugly duckling'...

as an old person i think to myself why bother any more to adorn this rotting carcass-but at the same time, why not cover it up and hide it with something really beautiful that exhibits the essence of the soul or the root of all desires or create a different personna every day...fashion can be art as well as philosophy...

i dont know where the women are, but that's ok with me-i never know what to say to them anyway...

it is interesting the question of video games, but you would have to break down the kind of games and what sort of skills they require. for instance, i would play legend of zelda all night long when my son went to his dad's house until i was crosseyed and it was time to go to work the next day. it was the only game (along with tetrtis) that i could almost figure out and keep up with. something like mortal kombat i would miserably fail at, and it is hard to determine if it was the losing that came first or the disinterest.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Where the heck are the women?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 05:47:02