Why are we here on this forum?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

sometime sun

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:32 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;141806 wrote:
Maybe nobody owns anybody. Maybe we don't even own ourselves. It's not transactional or quid pro quo or tit for tat. Don't give anything to anybody just share. Don't sacrifice expecting something in return just share. Granted there will be those who believe they have received something, that they own a part of you, that they have taken a part of you, that it is theirs now and not yours. But such people are delusional. They walk away empty handed and out of touch with reality. Granted there are so many delusional people out there reinforcing each others delusions, the majority even, but that makes them no less delusional. There is no give and take transaction to be bargained and haggled over, to be cheated out of or to take. There is only sharing and not sharing. Everything else is a delusion.

Is to share to give, gift or gain? If you can give, gift, or gain, doe shti smean you can take away?
Is it selfless or selfish, sharing giving delusion?
Is it selfish or selfless, taking delusion away?
You say no we cannot give others part of themselves or take it away?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, at the moment i am not sure if this is true?

---------- Post added 03-21-2010 at 07:44 AM ----------

PRESERVATION, preserve

EXHIBTION, exhibit

---------- Post added 03-21-2010 at 07:50 AM ----------

Can you selfishly give or share?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:50 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;141795 wrote:
Yeah I think there's a little bit of a hospital here too, an apothecary, a therapist. Sometimes we are looking for a cure for ourselves, sometimes for someone else and generally the later implies the former.

This all reminds me of a short song I wrote a while back:

Open to suggestions on that bridge part. Just pay attention to the meter.

:bigsmile:

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:33 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;141533 wrote:

:shifty: Maybe we have to start to live up to our Names. Philosophy comes in all sort & sizes. As long as we don't harm the general public. Raising the Philosophers Stone (silicate) we could be Djin. We need Guidance. Not Guru X or SO.

Humanistics might be a way... In-corporating Wisdom in Daily life !

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:04 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;142008 wrote:
:shifty: Maybe we have to start to live up to our Names. Philosophy comes in all sort & sizes. As long as we don't harm the general public. Raising the Philosophers Stone (silicate) we could be Djin. We need Guidance. Not Guru X or SO.

Humanistics might be a way... In-corporating Wisdom in Daily life !

Sir Thomas More comes to mind. Very well intentioned yet in the end a head shorter than the rest of us.:detective:

Twirlip

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:32 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Hence the phrase, "Less is More."

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 12:50 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;142040 wrote:

:bigsmile: I'll ask a friend to take me to the Booxtore. In would look for Thomas Moore; obviousely he not yust loose his head, but also an o.
Did you know he had a private yester ?

I know hardly anything about Sir Thomas. Only through reference of Erasmus of Rotterdam I heard about his political ideas. Is Thomas a Martyr in Anglian or Roman Catholic Church ?

Moore-OR-Less:o

wayne

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:28 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;142040 wrote:

Bravo !

"Simplify, simplify ,simplify" Thoreau.

"I boil things, thats what I do" Wayne.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:36 am
@Deckard,
Yes, well, Einstein said 'things should be a simple as possible - but no simpler'.

Reminds me of an old joke. A guy I knew did a speed reading course. Some time later, he read the whole of War and Peace in a single sitting. 'It's about Russia', he said.

StochasticBeauty

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:47 am
@Deckard,
I am here to assimilate information, and give information that I know for others to use. Additionally, I am here to be challenged. There are some heavy hitters here and I like that. Additionally, I have an extensive background in philosophy even though I ended up migrating to econ I am multidisciplinary to the max.

To all on this site if you don't know this you'll probably appreciate considering you are reading this in the first place.

Checkout: Ted.com, Physorg.com

I like writing and sharing impressions/insights.

wayne

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:58 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;142101 wrote:
Yes, well, Einstein said 'things should be a simple as possible - but no simpler'.

Reminds me of an old joke. A guy I knew did a speed reading course. Some time later, he read the whole of War and Peace in a single sitting. 'It's about Russia', he said.

Quite. A charred leap of faith is still a leap of faith but it doesn't taste very good. Boiling is how we arrive at those quotations that others miss in thier speed reading.
Also, I enjoy the meals at the Greasy Spoon but I prefer to sit facing away from the kitchen. Smile

Also, also I would like to see more of our original quotations and the like in the about me section of our pages. It helps broaden my perspective when reading your posts

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 05:42 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;142037 wrote:
Sir Thomas More comes to mind. Very well intentioned yet in the end a head shorter than the rest of us.:detective:

[CENTER]:bigsmile:
In the same cent. we had a powerfull, intelligent, old noble-man working as secretary of Staaten van Holland. He managed every-thing well and wanted to make Peace with Hispania. The Son of a son of a German Lady feared for his position.

Maurits van Orange used the Theological Discussion going on to Strengthen his position and had Van OldenBarneveldt cut to the size of Thomas Moore (or less). The secretary yust wanted Holland in Peace with our trading partners. Maurits wanted more territory, prestige and enjoyed war. His Younger brother continued this policy and the Family becomes known as the Oranje-Nassau's to-day.

Pepijn Sweep's:detective:
[/CENTER]

Donmasto

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:21 pm
@Deckard,
I joined IN THE LAST HOUR to find real philosophical discussions that I cannot hold with my friends. To see if I belong in the world of philosophy or if I am merely an interested amateur. I have much reading to do but guidance would be greatly appreciated.

A lecturer I once had, Dr. Buffacci in U.C.C - Ireland, once said that philosophy is something you do. You discuss and debate philosophy. That is what I am here to do. It's a shame that I am more socially inept on the internet than I am in person.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
@Donmasto,
Donmasto;145903 wrote:
I joined IN THE LAST HOUR to find real philosophical discussions that I cannot hold with my friends. To see if I belong in the world of philosophy or if I am merely an interested amateur. I have much reading to do but guidance would be greatly appreciated.

A lecturer I once had, Dr. Buffacci in U.C.C - Ireland, once said that philosophy is something you do. You discuss and debate philosophy. That is what I am here to do. It's a shame that I am more socially inept on the internet than I am in person.

Buffacci is right. Like Wittgenstein, he believes that philosophy is an activity, and not a theory or a dogma.

sometime sun

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:35 pm
@Donmasto,
Donmasto;145903 wrote:

Guidance is external compass, are you here to lead or to follow? both professions philosophy will teach and learn from your example.

Donmasto

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:49 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;145912 wrote:
Guidance is external compass, are you here to lead or to follow? both professions philosophy will teach and learn from your example.

I can't say I completely understand the question. I am here to to educate myself and participate when I can or when I feel it is necessary.

I have done half a year of philosophy in college and dropped out due to my own incompetence. Recently I have felt I would like to return to college and pursue studying philosophy once again. I have a BASIC knowledge of moral theory and existentialism, provided by my course reader, and I am currently interested in the works of Ayn Rand and Alan Watts. I wish to explore further and find my niche.

You say guidance is external compass. Do you wish me to leave and perhaps return someday when I feel I am adequate enough to join the discussion?

That may be read as if I were angry but I assure you it is an honest question.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 08:10 pm
@Donmasto,
Donmasto;145916 wrote:
Do you wish me to leave and perhaps return someday when I feel I am adequate enough to join the discussion?

Things are pretty easy-going on this Forum. There are people with a wide range of training, skills and experience, from very little up to a great deal. So I wouldn't fret about that. You seem to take care to express yourself and write clearly, that counts for a lot straight up!

Ayn Rand and Alan Watts eh? Now there's an odd couple if ever I saw one.:bigsmile:

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 08:23 pm
@Donmasto,
Donmasto;145916 wrote:
I can't say I completely understand the question. I am here to to educate myself and participate when I can or when I feel it is necessary.

I have done half a year of philosophy in college and dropped out due to my own incompetence. Recently I have felt I would like to return to college and pursue studying philosophy once again. I have a BASIC knowledge of moral theory and existentialism, provided by my course reader, and I am currently interested in the works of Ayn Rand and Alan Watts. I wish to explore further and find my niche.

You say guidance is external compass. Do you wish me to leave and perhaps return someday when I feel I am adequate enough to join the discussion?

That may be read as if I were angry but I assure you it is an honest question.

[CENTER]:bigsmile:
[/CENTER]
No, stay ! You probably learn faster than me. Any-w-one is wellcom.

Pepijn Sweep
u/d Jisp

Donmasto

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 08:28 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;145919 wrote:
Things are pretty easy-going on this Forum. There are people with a wide range of training, skills and experience, from very little up to a great deal. So I wouldn't fret about that. You seem to take care to express yourself and write clearly, that counts for a lot straight up!

Ayn Rand and Alan Watts eh? Now there's an odd couple if ever I saw one.:bigsmile:

Thank you. I truly appreciate that. :a-ok:

A friend in college gave me The Fountainhead and I found her ideas on selfishness and integrity to be fascinating and empowering. It reminds me very much of Anton LaVey. Even their writing style seems similar. It has the same conviction.

I've always been interested in eastern thinking though manga etc. and I own a copy of the I Ching and having recently read a book on alchemy have become interested in Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching, but have not yet purchased a copy.

Watts interests me because he preaches the idea of universal oneness which is largely accepted in alchemy and modern science. Science and spiritualism went hand in hand for centuries so I do not see how it cannot now. I enjoy taking concepts from everywhere in order to refine my own personal philosophy. The philosophy I wish to live by. It's become rather difficult lately. Hence I must educate myself.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 08:34 pm
@Deckard,
You're welcome. Don't overlook this threadon Alan Watts. He is one of my favourites too.

Donmasto

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 08:53 pm
@Deckard,
I read the thread there. Very cool. I own The Book and have watched A Conversation With Myself as well as another video where everything has a tinge of purple and he talks about work as play. Come to think of it, I think it was called Work As Play, but I could be wrong. I need more of his books.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:06:34