Do we have any enemies?

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Do we have any enemies?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

wayne
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:54 am
It's been quite a few years ago that my father said to me, "Wayne ,you don't have an enemy in the world"
At the time ,I heard those words in the context of my present small world and I thought, no I really don't have an enemy today.
As time has passed, those words have stayed with me, but the meaning has changed. My dad was a pretty wise guy ,but I'm not sure that he really knew what he said.
I wish Dad were still around so I could tell him what I heard Today.
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:32 am
@wayne,
wayne;140920 wrote:
It's been quite a few years ago that my father said to me, "Wayne ,you don't have an enemy in the world"
At the time ,I heard those words in the context of my present small world and I thought, no I really don't have an enemy today.
As time has passed, those words have stayed with me, but the meaning has changed. My dad was a pretty wise guy ,but I'm not sure that he really knew what he said.
I wish Dad were still around so I could tell him what I heard Today.
Then do tell me, what experience you have gained from life, which may have alterd your view on that statemen.
 
wayne
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:57 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140931 wrote:
Then do tell me, what experience you have gained from life, which may have alterd your view on that statemen.


Boiled down it sounds like this
choose your friends wisely, wiser still, choose your enemies.
How I missed that for so long is a mystery, just dense I guess

Sure is empowering once I figured it out
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:59 pm
@wayne,
wayne;140970 wrote:
Boiled down it sounds like this
choose your friends wisely, wiser still, choose your enemies.
How I missed that for so long is a mystery, just dense I guess

Sure is empowering once I figured it out
Wise words indeed.
 
MiseryMyMuse
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:15 pm
@wayne,
Only ourselves, I think. Humans aren't really intelligent enough to hate each other, only to want for themselves. Ans that greed destroys us - for no other reason has a human being ever died.
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:35 pm
@MiseryMyMuse,
MiseryMyMuse;140983 wrote:
Only ourselves, I think. Humans aren't really intelligent enough to hate each other, only to want for themselves. Ans that greed destroys us - for no other reason has a human being ever died.
?

Thought gang wars in bronx areas, was about terretory and hate. Thought jews and arabs hated eachothers, thought lovers can end up as enemies, sometimes even end up in death.
 
wayne
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:24 pm
@MiseryMyMuse,
MiseryMyMuse;140983 wrote:
Only ourselves, I think. Humans aren't really intelligent enough to hate each other, only to want for themselves. Ans that greed destroys us - for no other reason has a human being ever died.


Yes, we become miserable in our own lives and seek to place the blame outside of ourself maybe. We kill animals to make us feel better and more powerful, start battles and wars, speak harshly to others, all the while blind to the real power that lies within us.
Maybe it's the measure of our growth as individuals, some persons seem to grow larger than others. To the level that we accept personal responsibility for our interactions with persons and the world around us is our growth measured?

Of course I must often beat my ego with a stick and while it's away in hospital ,take advantage.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 06:15 pm
@wayne,
One may not have an enemy in the world,
But the world still has many enemies.

Do we need to know or meet our enemies to know we have them?

Do our enemies only mean us harm?

Are we at harm only from our enemies?

Do we only need enemies so's we can make of them friends?

Do we only have friends so's we can make of them enemies?

Is a challenger an enemy?

Is an enemy a challenger?

(Maybe more to come)

---------- Post added 03-19-2010 at 12:21 AM ----------

Are you your own worst enemy?
Are you your own best friend?
 
wayne
 
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:32 pm
@wayne,
Do i need an enemy
Can I grow past the need for an enemy
How much am I willing to sacrifice
Should I move to Tibet
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 02:49 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140997 wrote:
?

Thought gang wars in bronx areas, was about terretory and hate. Thought jews and arabs hated eachothers, thought lovers can end up as enemies, sometimes even end up in death.


 
HexHammer
 
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:10 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;141208 wrote:



A forgotten war amongst many forgotten wars, not much interesting happend there.

Ver jar dag? ..birthday?
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:02 am
@HexHammer,
:bigsmile:May-be the AEdd-minitsrators can up-dat calender.
Administrators my wanted to say; before I get an-other slap on the wrist.

Taboe * taboe = Freedom

U need brain; reliable info; patience
hard work helps; be not rich, not poor.
En-joy love & Friend-ships:lol:


PSH
:brickwall:
 
morganix
 
Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:06 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140931 wrote:
Then do tell me, what experience you have gained from life, which may have alterd your view on that statemen.


This was an excellent question and I'm glad you asked it.

wayne;140970 wrote:

choose your friends wisely, wiser still, choose your enemies.
How I missed that for so long is a mystery, just dense I guess


It's odd that what you feel is an inherent contradiction to what your father said is the only thing that managed to put it into context for me. After I read your first post I was thinking "What does he mean you don't have any enemies? Everybody makes enemies in their life, and it would be a mistake to think you never had one."

The second quote reminds me of an experience I had at my previous forum. I was a clan leader and a forum administrator for two years, and after taking a six month break, when I returned, one of my good friends was coming under fire from an overzealous newbie. I quickly jumped into the discussion and defended my friend. This new member got in my face and started to attack me. Since I had a lot of respect and influence with the clan I didn't back down.

The next day I found my forum account banned, my IP banned, and I was banned from the game servers as well. What I didn't know from being gone for six months, was that the previous owner and founder had decided to step down and this guy was friends with the new administration.

I didn't have an enemy. At least not when I first returned or even after the initial conflict. He even warned me to back down, or he would have me banned, which seemed ridiculous at the time, since I was just defending a good friend. I decided to make an enemy though and I payed the consequence. I don't regret it, as I maintained my cool and I wasn't disrespectful, but in the end it cost me.

I think your father meant the same thing as the second quote you posted. The only enemies you have are the ones you make (so choose wisely). He must have just assumed you were smart enough not to make any.

That's my interpretation.
 
wayne
 
Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:43 am
@wayne,
Morganix,
Through experience thus do we grow wise.
You may find it interesting to hear how I solved the other problem, that of wanting to tell my dad what I heard. I am the proud father of a 20 year old daughter, who also is philisophically inclined. The answer became immediately apparent to me ,so I posted the story in a message to her facebook page.
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 02:00 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;141222 wrote:
:bigsmile:May-be the AEdd-minitsrators can up-dat calender.
Administrators my wanted to say; before I get an-other slap on the wrist.

Taboe * taboe = Freedom

U need brain; reliable info; patience
hard work helps; be not rich, not poor.
En-joy love & Friend-ships:lol:
More '70's / no-way

Small scale (capitalism) let people be proud of what they make. I am not against the "system" but I think it needs to be converted.

I personally am not happy in an un-happy world. Even if I had the money I still be un-happy because the gross un-equality (rapidly growing in the west). Rich people are helpfull, but should govern US. May-be a referced census, no voting 4 10% billionnairs ? In return some tax-break; and revoke all tax-deals possible.

That what I would do in our little country under the Sea. I would tell my Chanchellor to nationalize Banks, withdraw US investments and not sell ING Direct. Also I would invest Our money in Greek state debt, paying with old petro-$.

May-be I could go to Alaska. Run for Governor...I am smarter, more stylish, more fun to watch than the former.

aI am not a good democrat because I would raise questions about the Republican policies. I am Amsterdammer, ecologist, an entrepeneur who thinks long term.

I have better things to do than move to former Russia, now Alaska. Njet.:sarcastic:

Pepijn SH Sweep

sorry for mess; glad you understood some. I'm just rambling away on a US keyboard. Not fully compatable with my natural language.
 
morganix
 
Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 04:05 am
@wayne,
wayne;142102 wrote:
Morganix,
Through experience thus do we grow wise.
You may find it interesting to hear how I solved the other problem, that of wanting to tell my dad what I heard. I am the proud father of a 20 year old daughter, who also is philisophically inclined. The answer became immediately apparent to me ,so I posted the story in a message to her facebook page.


You were right to think I might find it interesting. Not just because I joined these forums because of the limitations of social networking either. I'm glad to hear that you are using the platform in a more productive manner. I tried to replace forums with facebook and myspace only to find myself completely alone in conversation and thought.

You say that telling your daughter helped solve the problem of telling your father. Was this because you gave her the same piece of advice, and you were able to discuss your new findings with her, or because you took the role of your own father explaining it to yourself by telling your daughter? These were my two best rationalizations.
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 05:05 am
@morganix,
morganix;142122 wrote:
You were right to think I might find it interesting. Not just because I joined these forums because of the limitations of social networking either. I'm glad to hear that you are using the platform in a more productive manner. I tried to replace forums with facebook and myspace only to find myself completely alone in conversation and thought.

You say that telling your daughter helped solve the problem of telling your father. Was this because you gave her the same piece of advice, and you were able to discuss your new findings with her, or because you took the role of your own father explaining it to yourself by telling your daughter? These were my two best rationalizations.


:bigsmile:Sorry to butt in. We had a discussion about Mnemes recently. Very interesting theory about trans-mittans of Information. One of the routes is Oral History cq. parental advice.

Pepijn Sweep's:detective:
 
wayne
 
Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 07:49 am
@morganix,
morganix;142122 wrote:
You were right to think I might find it interesting. Not just because I joined these forums because of the limitations of social networking either. I'm glad to hear that you are using the platform in a more productive manner. I tried to replace forums with facebook and myspace only to find myself completely alone in conversation and thought.

You say that telling your daughter helped solve the problem of telling your father. Was this because you gave her the same piece of advice, and you were able to discuss your new findings with her, or because you took the role of your own father explaining it to yourself by telling your daughter? These were my two best rationalizations.


I also find that this site solves the problem of being alone in my conversation, I see that most people here have a lot of the same reasons as myself for being here. I need this sort of stimulation to develop my thoughts.

I left the explanation out in my message to my daughter, just ended the story at the part about wanting to tell dad. I think I wanted to plant a seed, who knows , maybe someday her experience will bring her to a memory of that story and she will repeat the process. Can you imagine my great,great etc.grandchild hearing a similar tale? I felt more connected to the past and future. It just seemed like the proper thing to do. Odd?
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:13 am
@wayne,
:bigsmile:Yes there is an Evil-enemy Out here. It lives on Your Time, It feeds on Your Electrons. YOKE

No such thing named PC would do this.

The Most challenging is to devise a Question which blocks logic thinking, confuses the senses and...
Think of coffee with a freshly baked Apple-pie with Cinnamon...

PS:surrender:
 
wayne
 
Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:05 pm
@wayne,
Pepijn,
How about this question.
Why are the fish not biting today?
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Do we have any enemies?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/29/2024 at 09:42:07