Avatars... where are the women?!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Lily

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:32 am
@Gracee,
Gracee;134186 wrote:
I was kinda shocked/appauled at how not one of the single default avatars was of a woman!
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
And is it really true these days that women are still not viewed as real thinkers?

I think it's really good that you noticed this. Realising there's a problem is the first step on the way. It's funny, because there are not only pictures of male philosophers, so why can't there be pictures of someone like Marie Curie?

Women are probably considered to be real thinkers by most men, at least where I live.

Pyrrho

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 03:33 pm
@Lost1 phil,
Lost1;136857 wrote:
My first thought was how academia does not think of Ayn Rand as a philosopher. (Stop that booing and hissing!)....but now I'm off to find an avatar of Jean-Paul Sartre's girlfriend....

Being a woman I can say things like that right?

Lost1

Presumably, you mean Simone de Beauvoir. In my opinion, she is more worth reading than Sartre.

Lost1 phil

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 08:36 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;136951 wrote:
Presumably, you mean Simone de Beauvoir. In my opinion, she is more worth reading than Sartre.

Thanks! That is exactly whom I meant....is there some gossip about Jean-Paul having others?

Lost1

P.S. -- I agree by the way.

Pyrrho

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 01:52 pm
@Lost1 phil,
Lost1;137178 wrote:
Thanks! That is exactly whom I meant....is there some gossip about Jean-Paul having others?

Lost1

P.S. -- I agree by the way.

I am told that he did not believe in monogamy, and practiced in accordance with his beliefs.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:02:54