Heidegger's advice to his students

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:39 pm
@Twirlip,
The separation of the real and the imaginary depends humans talking to one another. "Did you see that?" "See what?" "I must have imagined it. "

Where it gets tricky is that our reality, as we experience it, is largely made up of ideas. Including ideas about what reality is. Physical objective reality is a social construction. Objective experience is inferred from overlapping subjective experiences.

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129856 wrote:
Is counterfeit money really genuine money if no one cares? Would that be like two different girl-friends be the same person if no one cares who is who?

Another strawman? Really?

If counterfeit money looks exactly the same as real money there is no conflict. I am not talking about "if no one cares", but if there is no potential for conflict. If a counterfeit bill (meaning one not made by the government) looks the exact same as a genuine bill (one made by the government), then there is no conflict because there is no distinguishable difference.

Quote:
Actually I have been asking you about the term, "possible" and not about the term, "not real". I had hoped you would notice.

Every time I bring up possible reality, or possible concept of reality, you replace it with no reality... how in the world do you expect me to think you are talking about the term possible?

Quote:
I was thinking of a case when someone begins wondering whether it was possible that all the money in the United States, even that issued by the Treasury, was counterfeit. What would you think of that wondering? What is such a person wondering about?

Look at the beginning of this post. You have the wrong concept of the matrix example because in the Matrix (in the movie itself) there are two distinguishable realities, but your example is one involving no distinguishable realities.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:05 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129866 wrote:
You have the wrong concept of the matrix example because in the Matrix (in the movie itself) there are two distinguishable realities, but your example is one involving no distinguishable realities.

Good point. Reality and non-reality are relative. There must be some kind of duality for the contrast to have any meaning. I like to imagine a different version of the Matrix where Neo is forced to wake up yet again, and this time he is a 6-dimensional alien who has been playing a video game while his 3 mothers cook dinner.

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:11 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129877 wrote:
Good point. Reality and non-reality are relative. There must be some kind of duality for the contrast to have any meaning. I like to imagine a different version of the Matrix where Neo is forced to wake up yet again, and this time he is a 6-dimensional alien who has been playing a video game while his 3 mothers cook dinner.

I would watch that movie, lol.

Have you ever seen "Waking Life"? GREAT movie.

Also, ever done Salvia? It's a legal hallucinogen in Arkansas. When you smoke it you feel as if the world in your trip is the real reality. When I felt it for the first time I thought I was being revealed my true purpose, lol, it is a physical means of bringing up questions about our basic understanding of the world.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:12 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129866 wrote:
Another strawman? Really?

If counterfeit money looks exactly the same as real money there is no conflict.

But that is just false. No matter how good a counterfeit the counterfeit is, it is still a counterfeit. It is illegal to pass it. And it will be taken from you if you are caught with it. The fact that the counterfeit is undetectable does not make it genuine money. It is still counterfeit money. It was not issued by the Treasury. Whether that is detectable or not is irrelevant.

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:17 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129881 wrote:
But that is just false. No matter how good a counterfeit the counterfeit is, it is still a counterfeit. It is illegal to pass it. And it will be taken from you if you are caught with it. The fact that the counterfeit is undetectable does not make it genuine money. It is still counterfeit money. It was not issued by the Treasury. Whether that is detectable or not is irrelevant.

"it will be taken from you if you are caught with it"

If it looks exactly the same in every way, who on earth is going to take it from you? How is that not relevant ?!?!!!!!

Read and respond the the rest of my last post, I was NOT equating counterfeit and genuine and I pointed out the difference!

If you drop the genuine and your counterfeit, and your counterfeit is a perfect replica, then how could you tell the difference? How is pointing out that the difference only matters if it is distinguishable not relevant!

Please address the rest of my last post because in it I point out what the Matrix represents.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:19 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129879 wrote:

Have you ever seen "Waking Life"? GREAT movie.

Yes. Pretty great. But all of his movies are great. Seen Suburbia? Also good.

---------- Post added 02-19-2010 at 01:20 AM ----------

Scottydamion;129879 wrote:

Also, ever done Salvia? It's a legal hallucinogen in Arkansas. When you smoke it you feel as if the world in your trip is the real reality. When I felt it for the first time I thought I was being revealed my true purpose, lol, it is a physical means of bringing up questions about our basic understanding of the world.

I've heard stories, but haven't tried it. I think it's available here, but I heard about some negative effects. As far as acid and shrooms go, let's just say that this is a public forum and therefore "no comment." (or the 5th.)

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:22 am
@kennethamy,
I thought emission started in 1971? What about coins?

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:23 am
@Twirlip,
An expert is given two bills, one of which is counterfeit. (Or so he is told.) His job is to figure out which one. He can't.

Are either of the bills counterfeit, or are they both half-counterfeit? Or are they both counterfeit? Or something else?

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:26 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129887 wrote:
Yes. Pretty great. But all of his movies are great. Seen Suburbia? Also good.

---------- Post added 02-19-2010 at 01:20 AM ----------

I've heard stories, but haven't tried it. I think it's available here, but I heard about some negative effects. As far as acid and shrooms go, let's just say that this is a public forum and therefore "no comment." (or the 5th.)

Haven't seen Suburbia, I will have to go find it now.

Your trip while on Salvia is connected to your beliefs about what it will do to you, for Salvia makes the imagined seem real after all. If one has a good understanding of the drug and has a good feeling or confidence going into the trip, then one will not experience a feeling of being trapped which often gives the drug a bad name. The only other negatives I can think of are that you sweat a lot during the trip. It is weird to realize you were sweating but to not remember the intermediate sensations!

Zetherin

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 01:12 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129892 wrote:
Are either of the bills counterfeit, or are they both half-counterfeit? Or are they both counterfeit? Or something else?

One is counterfeit. In fact, you even said so yourself:

Quote:
An expert is given two bills, one of which is counterfeit.

-

Scottydamion wrote:
If you drop the genuine and your counterfeit, and your counterfeit is a perfect replica, then how could you tell the difference? How is pointing out that the difference only matters if it is distinguishable not relevant!

Because something can be something, no matter if you realize it or not. I may mistake my fake leather coat as being a real leather coat, but it is not a real leather coat no matter how often I mistake that it is. You think that because I mistake my fake leather coat as being made of real leather, it becomes a real leather coat? There is no difference? That seems shocking if you really believe that.

Sometimes using practical examples makes us realize how silly some things we say while philosophizing are.

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 01:28 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129910 wrote:
Because something can be something, no matter if you realize it or not. I may mistake my fake leather coat as being a real leather coat, but it is not a real leather coat no matter how often I mistake that it is. You think that because I mistake my fake leather coat as being made of real leather, it becomes a real leather coat? There is no difference? That seems shocking if you really believe that.

Sometimes using practical examples makes us realize how silly some things we say while philosophizing are.

In theory they are different, in practical terms they are not.

What I am addressing is the idea that in practical terms reality is reality, not just in theoretical terms or ideal terms. However, there is conflicting evidence (or justification) concerning our view of reality, so it is useful to question one's idea of reality, because there are practically distinguishable views concerning reality.

Of course in the end reality is reality, independent of how we view it, but useful ideas come out of questioning our view, so it is not "silly".

You need to look further back into the discussion to see why I bring up distinguishable counterfeit money... I agree with what you said above, but you will not understand my example if you think I am saying there is no difference between genuine and counterfeit money.

Fido

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 01:48 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129829 wrote:
I think he was often wrong, or needlessly bitter. On some issues he was shallow. But I prefer a writer who sometimes gets there, at the cost of sometimes being ridiculous, to a writer who never gets there. I read Nietzsche as I read anything and everything, with scissors. Sure, there will always be those who like Nietzsche for what I consider the wrong reasons. And there will always be folks who are religious for what I think are the wrong reasons. It's a crowded planet, and everyone wants a piece. What percentage of the planet would agree with all of your most important views? Highly pluralistic, this America of ours.

Do you reject the idea of reading philosophy for entertainment? for self-enlargement? Or do you feel that philosophy has a social duty?

Philosophy may be big medicine, and we may be doctors...We owe everyone the same behavior doctors should show: First, do no harm...No one can look at Nietzsche as one who did no harm...

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 01:58 am
@Fido,
Fido;129917 wrote:
Philosophy may be big medicine, and we may be doctors...We owe everyone the same behavior doctors should show: First, do no harm...No one can look at Nietzsche as one who did no harm...

I am having trouble with that example, could you try another?... but if I get what you are saying here's my response: what is consistent enough in philosophy that we should not "harm" it?

Fido

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:08 am
@Twirlip,
We should not harm humanity, and Nietzsche did damage to the truth, and to humanity... And I am not referring here to his anti christianity, but to his characature of humanity as falling into two groups: the over man and the resentful...It is not true, but the vision did a lot of damage...And I know he was not a nazi, but the Nazis used very much of the same heartless language in regard to Poland and Russia.

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:44 am
@Fido,
Fido;129929 wrote:
We should not harm humanity, and Nietzsche did damage to the truth, and to humanity... And I am not referring here to his anti christianity, but to his characature of humanity as falling into two groups: the over man and the resentful...It is not true, but the vision did a lot of damage...And I know he was not a nazi, but the Nazis used very much of the same heartless language in regard to Poland and Russia.

I agree for the most part but I have two questions.

Doesn't that fall under one's philosophy of humaneness, not philosophy itself?

Couldn't he help philosophy while harming humanity at the same time?

Fido

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:00 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129932 wrote:
I agree for the most part but I have two questions.

Doesn't that fall under one's philosophy of humaneness, not philosophy itself?

Couldn't he help philosophy while harming humanity at the same time?

Not possible... Philosophy is not so much science as it once was when it first broke with theology...Now science is science and philosophy is moral philosophy, and there, both its parts, love, and knowledge are moral forms which exist only as meanings because they mean to humanity...Can we really love knowledge, or is knowledge what we seek out of a love of humanity???Every question considered by science as science is a moral question, as well...If it is good, who is it good for... If it is true who is is true for??? The good of humanity is not nothing in the eyes of philosophy, but is everything, the entire landscape...

Zetherin

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:37 am
@Twirlip,
Scottydamion wrote:
In theory they are different, in practical terms they are not.

So, if I have a fake leather jacket and a real leather jacket, they are only different in theory?

Quote:

Of course in the end reality is reality, independent of how we view it, but useful ideas come out of questioning our view, so it is not "silly".

Hm. Now you're confusing me.

Indeed, I will reread your posts like you suggested.

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:49 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129974 wrote:
So, if I have a fake leather jacket and a real leather jacket, they are only different in theory?

Hm. Now you're confusing me.

Indeed, I will reread your posts like you suggested.

The only important (perhaps pragmatic?) difference is if they are distinguishable or not, in theory (or perhaps I mean in logical terms) it does not matter if they are distinguishable, only that they are different by adjectives that are antonyms in the front of each noun, and therefore they can't be the same without a logical contradiction.

So in pragmatic terms when one says "what is reality is reality, no matter if it is fake or not" is true, iff there is no important (distinguishable) difference. However, if there is a distinguishable difference between two ideas of "what is reality", then there is a pragmatic reason for questioning each. Asking "which reality is not real" is like asking "which leather jacket is fake?".

Did that do what I'm trying to say justice?

Zetherin

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:54 am
@Twirlip,
Scottydamion wrote:
So in pragmatic terms when one says "what is reality is reality, no matter if it is fake or not" is true, iff there is no important (distinguishable) difference. However, if there is a distinguishable difference between two ideas of "what is reality", then there is a pragmatic reason for questioning each. Asking "which reality is not real" is like asking "which leather jacket is fake?".

But reality is what is, no matter how we perceive it. So, even if there isn't a distinguishable difference to me between my fake leather coat and my real leather coat, they are still different; they are made of different material. Wouldn't you agree?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:58:57