How come that those who know nothing about philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:20 am
@kidvisions,
Fido wrote:

When people can learn because they appreciate what they know, that it is good, and helps them to avoid the common evils of life, then they are philosophers...The same is true of math,

What is true of math?

Quote:

The same is true of philosophy, that we are all engaged in it more seriously or less so, but it is no less a human pursuit shared by all of humanity

So, you would call me a mathematician for having added or subtracted before?

With your logic, every person must be an engineer, a politician, a mathematician, a geographer, a meteorologist, an astronomer, an accountant, a general, a logician, and a linguist. I'd wager the common person is engaged with these fields, or exudes qualities of people engaged in these fields, on some level, so that must make them these things.

Please refer to me as quantum physicist Zetherin from now on. Phew, I knew that one QM article I read was going to pay off, but I didn't know it would quite this well!

Fido

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129675 wrote:
What is true of math?

So, you would call me a mathematician for having added or subtracted before?

With your logic, every person must be an engineer, a politician, a mathematician, a geographer, a meteorologist, an astronomer, an accountant, a general, a logician, and a linguist. I'd wager the common person is engaged with these fields, or exudes qualities of people engaged in these fields, on some level, so that must make them these things.

Please refer to me as quantum physicist Zetherin from now on. Phew, I knew that one QM article I read was going to pay off, but I didn't know it would quite this well!

Yes, you must first practice logic to practice Logic...Do you think I am saying every priest is a pope because every pope is a priest??? Philosopher and mathematician are very general designations; would you not agree???

Lost1 phil

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:48 am
@kidvisions,
Philosophy is like wine.

Philosophers are like drinkers of wine. From those who come from generations of a single family of wine makers from the soil to the end product, to those who drink their wine from a bottle hidden in a brown paper sack.

No answer the the original questions: It depends on where you've spent your time (and often money) where you stand on what is philosophically important.

Personally, philosophy has no value outside each of our own thoughts.

Lost1

Fido

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:09 pm
@kidvisions,
Communication is just as important as thought...

Lost1 phil

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:38 pm
@kidvisions,
Communication is about man's desire to be accepted...we have thoughts whether or not we communicate them. Wink

Now I'm having thoughts about the fact that I just said that in a commuications medium....yep, thoughts are first and foremost Smile

Lost1

Fido

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:47 pm
@kidvisions,
True... We can have thoughts that are not communicated, but without communication we have not the substance of thought, which is knowledge, and having knowledge, which is a form of relationship, if we cannot communicate it, we have not the substance of the relationship... Communication is essential to all forms of relationship, and is itself a form... To make it simple, just say communication is essential, which it is, but is only the essential information too...The greatest criminals in any society, and the biggest spoilers in any relationship are those who will not tell truth even when they know it, and in this fashion deny to all humanity what is essential to our survival... Communication is truth...Mis- communication is untruth...

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 02:05 pm
@sarek,
sarek;129637 wrote:
Let me put forward an alternative idea. A philosopher is a free thinker. We allow our mind to wander freely in the thinkspace inside our heads. A true philosopher does more than standing on the shoulders of giants, he develops original new thoughts and ideas.
Education is not about original thought. It is about learning things that are already known. Both the questions and the answers are given and those who have the ability to learn and reproduce given recipes usually do best on tests.

This is a fundamental difference. I even believe there may be neurological differences that distinguish original thinkers from the majority of the population.

I completely agree and I feel that this is not stressed enough.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 03:47 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130339 wrote:
I completely agree and I feel that this is not stressed enough.

Oh, a true philosopher. I didn't realize he was talking about a true philosopher. I thought he was talking about any old philosopher. Even a false philosopher. Who knew? True philosophers have extra true neurons.

sarek

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 03:57 pm
@kidvisions,
Is there any doubt that all the old philosophers were true philosophers? People like Plato or Socrates but also the later great philosophers in my book definitely qualify as original thinkers. The concepts and ideas they coined were their own and presumably had not been thought before.
May I point out that what history remember best is not that which stays the same, but rather that which changes? Its not the scholarly philosopher who writes history but rather the one whose thoughts and ideas are original and not those of someone else.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:04 pm
@sarek,
sarek;130376 wrote:
Is there any doubt that all the old philosophers were true philosophers? People like Plato or Socrates but also the later great philosophers in my book definitely qualify as original thinkers. The concepts and ideas they coined were their own and presumably had not been thought before.
May I point out that what history remember best is not that which stays the same, but rather that which changes? Its not the scholarly philosopher who writes history but rather the one whose thoughts and ideas are original and not those of someone else.

I agree. One might describe this sort of philosopher as an inventor. From my perspective, the best philosophers are as creative as any novelist, painter, or composer. Indeed, one might call them writers of half-fiction. Generally they intend to describe being or describe descriptions of being. Perhaps philosophy has become more self-conscious. Hegel's system was a sort of philosophy of philosophy. I like Rorty's phrase: "inquiry as recontextualization." I don't think the past is finished until the future is. I believe T.S. Eliot applied this concept to "literature." I find it is the same with philosophy. From Heidegger who tells the story of philosophy from a new perspective to the anti-metaphysical positivisitic sort who want to discredit the past as bunk. Redescriptions of redescriptions. A tower of stacked metaphors.

I think your use of the word "true" was perfectly justified in context.

sarek

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130372 wrote:
True philosophers have extra true neurons.

Actually they have more or less the same number of neurons as everyone else and those are not very special either.
Its the neurotransmitters that may hold the key.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:21 pm
@sarek,
sarek;130382 wrote:
Actually they have more or less the same number of neurons as everyone else and those are not very special either.
Its the neurotransmitters that may hold the key.

I just knew it was something. I am happy we have an expert on true philosophers with us. Now all we need is one on false philosophers. What a forum we should have, then!

sarek

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:43 pm
@kidvisions,
Just staying in keeping with the opening question of this thread which was to find an answer to the question why philosophers do bad at exams.

I have no clue about false philosophers though. What are those?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:55 pm
@sarek,
sarek;130392 wrote:
Just staying in keeping with the opening question of this thread which was to find an answer to the question why philosophers do bad at exams.

I have no clue about false philosophers though. What are those?

I guess they are the opposite of true philosophers. You seem to know that those are. (What exams do philosophers do badly at?).

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 01:43 am
@kidvisions,
Philosophers often get lost in the chase of truth, to do things the correct way, to know everything 100% ..and bla bla ..bla
It's often unproductive and thereby only serves for selfsatisfaction.

What you learn in school are mostly liniar things, with very little diviation, and thereby requires almost no philosophy.

There are too many branches of philosophy which are for naive, group thinkers. In short ..for the not so bright people, those who delude themselfs with empty rethoric. It becomes blatantly clear when they use pharses such as:
- good/bad/evil
- truth/lie

sarek

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 02:53 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130396 wrote:
I guess they are the opposite of true philosophers. You seem to know that those are. (What exams do philosophers do badly at?).

I think being a philosopher is more a state of mind rather than anything else. Unless you mean to equate 'philosopher' with 'well known philosopher' There must be fewer than a thousand of those throughout the entire history of mankind.
I think it is rather hard to imagine a direct opposite of having the state of mind of a philosopher because not having the state of mind of a philosopher means not being a philosopher at all rather than a false one.

Its not like with prophets. True prophets say things that come to pass, False ones say things that don't.

And I think exams pretty much include any kind of exam where precise and inflexible mastery of a subject is required.

And imagine someone with the state of mind of a philosopher trying to take any such exam, say a bookkeeping test.
Instead of regurgitating dead knowledge a philosopher would rather reflect on how current accounting practices have come to be, on what their merits are or on how to implement new schemes of corporate accounting.
Or perhaps he will simply wonder why there are so many magpies this year.
But none of that will answer the questions asked, so he will not pass the test.

Fido

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:03 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;131335 wrote:
Philosophers often get lost in the chase of truth, to do things the correct way, to know everything 100% ..and bla bla ..bla
It's often unproductive and thereby only serves for selfsatisfaction.

What you learn in school are mostly liniar things, with very little diviation, and thereby requires almost no philosophy.

There are too many branches of philosophy which are for naive, group thinkers. In short ..for the not so bright people, those who delude themselfs with empty rethoric. It becomes blatantly clear when they use pharses such as:
- good/bad/evil
- truth/lie

Truth is never an acceptible goal for philosophy because no knowledge is possible without truth, and truth is an infinite; but as a practical matter good is not an infinite because good has to be good to some body, while truth has to be truth to everybody...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:06 am
@sarek,
sarek;131796 wrote:
I think being a philosopher is more a state of mind rather than anything else. Unless you mean to equate 'philosopher' with 'well known philosopher' There must be fewer than a thousand of those throughout the entire history of mankind.

And those people who teach philosophy in universities, and are paid to do so, who write articles in philosophical journals, who write books on philosophical topics, and who attend philosophical conferences and meetings, but do not have "that state of mind" whatever that is, what are they? Chopped liver?

sarek

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 09:15 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131804 wrote:
And those people who teach philosophy in universities, and are paid to do so, who write articles in philosophical journals, who write books on philosophical topics, and who attend philosophical conferences and meetings, but do not have "that state of mind" whatever that is, what are they? Chopped liver?

What makes you think that they would not have that state of mind? If so, it can not be distilled from anything I have said.
How can anyone possibly want to pursue a career in philosophy without their heart and mind being in it? At the very least there has to be a marked predisposition towards WANTING to follow that career path. Unless someone is a masochist off course.

My definition is more aimed at including people rather than at excluding them.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:36 am
@sarek,
sarek;131823 wrote:
What makes you think that they would not have that state of mind? If so, it can not be distilled from anything I have said.
How can anyone possibly want to pursue a career in philosophy without their heart and mind being in it? At the very least there has to be a marked predisposition towards WANTING to follow that career path. Unless someone is a masochist off course.

My definition is more aimed at including people rather than at excluding them.

They might, of course, have that state of mind (whatever that state of mind is). But suppose they did not. Would they not be philosophers? On the other hand, suppose there was someone who did have that "state of mind", but who never thought about philosophical problems, and was not connected with philosophy in any way. Would he still be a philosopher? Why? I think you should say more about that state of mind, and how we can tell someone has it.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:04:24