Depression

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 12:57 pm
(asked before i do see, what the hell not by me)
Depression

Usually you dont know you have it untill it is to late to simply 'shake off'.

Is it self inflicted, or an inflicted self?
Done to or done by?

Any one knows how to get away from it, get it away from, would be interested in hearing of weapons against this foe.

What herbs or suppliments? not just medication.
What exercises or movements? not just exertion.

sneer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 01:23 pm
@sometime sun,
Depression is physiological and not mental disease. Very serious, sometimes mortal. One of my close relative was hardly depressed.
Very typical symptome is renunciation, so this is why, ill humans go to the doctor very late and usually with very slight, but consisent pressure from relatives.
In hard cases there's no way out without medication, which is obvious as you really understand the mechanism behind it; though reasons are usually mental, after a very discrete point there's no way back.
Go to psychiatrist and only after that to psychologist. And prepare for 1-2 years treatment, with many doubts and hard moments.
Of course, you may be healthy, but only psychiatrist could tell you that. Psychologists many often tell you "everything will be ok, do not go to psychiatrist".

Good luck.

sometime sun

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 02:55 pm
@sneer,
Can you feel depressed? is depression a feeling?
Maybe if you feel it you are just really sad or in some cases really really sad but not depressed?
What is depression? I am not sure it is a feeling.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:36 pm
@sometime sun,
If you have depression, seek professional help. It involves chemical imbalances in the brain, and every case is unique. Let the pros handle this.

You're not gonna find some special nectar root or yogic motion that solves the problem. Not that various herbal supplements and exercises and meditations are useless, because I'm a fan of some of that stuff, but clinical depression is a very serious condition. A serious condition that needs professional, medical treatment.

Organize the supplements, meditation, and exercise with your doctor. Not with people on a philosophy forum.

sometime sun

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:28 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122817 wrote:
If you have depression, seek professional help. It involves chemical imbalances in the brain, and every case is unique. Let the pros handle this.

You're not gonna find some special nectar root or yogic motion that solves the problem. Not that various herbal supplements and exercises and meditations are useless, because I'm a fan of some of that stuff, but clinical depression is a very serious condition. A serious condition that needs professional, medical treatment.

Organize the supplements, meditation, and exercise with your doctor. Not with people on a philosophy forum.

What are you talking about, this is not a self help page, this is a discussion page about the wheres and why fores of depression, what it is about and what ways there are of fighting it.
If you have depression and i'm not even saying i do is it not something that can be spoken about and described in open court without the almighty judgement that it is something that must be only be deliberated by professionals alone? Cant i have an oppinon, cant i hear yours, cant one speak about their battle scars wihtout expecting someone to sew them up?
Cant one speak about the battle?
Do you think me so stupid as if i thought this was something that i was afflicted with i would come to a forum to diagnose myself and find a cure first among the a crowd and not first family or doctor?
What if someone had tried the doctor and just needed to hear they weren't alone? that it is not just the impersonal judgement of a doctor but the personal experience of other people as well, what then?
What is depression?
Not asking how to cure it, asking what it is.
And knowing what something is is often how the thing is affected healed, notice i was not asking about what kills people for you cant find an answer with those who cannot speak, i was asking what helps people with this so to learn more what it is.:thats-enough:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:35 pm
@sometime sun,
I'm not sure why you're so upset. I said that people should see a doctor. That clinical depression is a serious medical condition requiring professional attention. And I cautioned against reliance on treatment outside of professional help.

sometime sun

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:58 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122856 wrote:
I'm not sure why you're so upset. I said that people should see a doctor. That clinical depression is a serious medical condition requiring professional attention. And I cautioned against reliance on treatment outside of professional help.

Well at least if i am upset i am not depressed?
And i would say you need need more than reliance upon professionals and doctors alone.

Jebediah

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:11 pm
@sometime sun,
There is such a thing as mild depression (with symptoms like boredom and lethargy), and people can certainly snap themselves out of it. Your supposed to do things like count your blessings, talk to other people, and think more optimistically. Sleep, exercise, and a healthy diet probably work well to, and involving yourself in a hobby you enjoy.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:18 pm
@Jebediah,
sometime sun;122869 wrote:
Well at least if i am upset i am not depressed?

I have no way of know. You can be upset without being depressed, that's for sure. I was treated years ago for depression. Much better now. But I do get upset some times.

sometime sun;122869 wrote:
And i would say you need need more than reliance upon professionals and doctors alone.

It's always good to have family and friends for support. No matter the problem, be it a medical matter, work related, anything.

sometime sun

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:07 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;122879 wrote:
I have no way of know. You can be upset without being depressed, that's for sure. I was treated years ago for depression. Much better now. But I do get upset some times.

It's always good to have family and friends for support. No matter the problem, be it a medical matter, work related, anything.

But can you be upset and be depressed? Does not the depression take away the modes of transport that to feel something, to experience upset is not depressed, because depressed is supressed?
And friends are familiars that which ones lifes meets and greets on a regular basis, so who is to say a forum could not be the perfect place to find this company and resolve against depression?
It depends i think if you see your computed friends as more than just computed more than even just familiar and something closer to what friendship actually is.
Either way i would not like to see myself as depressed even if i am and dont know it, still would rather not be it even if when i do know it.
Not trying to spread it around, trying to calm it down.
And i know a good treatment for it is to open it up and see whats its insides look like and as you cant always inspect yourself it is better to run off others inspections.
Understanding what something is is the first way to defend against it.
What is depression and how did you my familiar conquer it?
It wasn't just the doctors, it wasn't just your family, it was you, how did you win the day?

Deckard

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:53 pm
@sometime sun,
I relate depression back to older concepts like melancholy and acedia. Depression used to be connected with sloth. I think it may be helpful to think of it in this way. Just as we must overcome the impulse towards lust or greed there is need to overcome the the impulse towards despair.

Here's an interesting website about acedia.
Acedia, Bane of Solitaries - Articles - House of Solitude - Hermitary

melonkali

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 09:22 pm
@sometime sun,
And sometimes there are situations in which NOT feeling sad, depressed, a sense of despair, etc, seems inappropriate.

The U.S. is noted, in some psychology studies, for its prevalence of "unrealistic optimism". There is a related concept: "depressive realism". People who are mildly to moderately depressed score higher on studies of realistic perceptions of themselves, the situation, future prospects, and how others perceive them.

I can't recall the name of the journalist/author of "Via Dolorosa", a work about his visit to Israel, but in it he recalled interviewing an elderly lady of some prominence whose outlook for the future was negative. The author made some reply (I can't remember his point) ending in the phrase "...you feel that way." She corrected him, "It's not about how I FEEL, it's about what I KNOW. If it was about how I FEEL, you and I could go out and have a couple of brandies and I'd FEEL better."

Jebediah

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 09:33 pm
@sometime sun,
Quote:
The U.S. is noted, in some psychology studies, for its prevalence of "unrealistic optimism". There is a related concept: "depressive realism". People who are mildly to moderately depressed score higher on studies of realistic perceptions of themselves, the situation, future prospects, and how others perceive them.

Most people who are depressed are not being realistic.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 10:04 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;122909 wrote:
But can you be upset and be depressed?

Of course.

Does not the depression take away the modes of transport that to feel something, to experience upset is not depressed, because depressed is supressed?

Nope. You can be upset and have clinical depression. Being in a depressed mood is not clinical depression. I'm in a bit of a depressed mood this very moment, but I'm not clinically depressed. This mood will pass shortly. Clinical depression is not likely to pass until treated for some time.

And friends are familiars that which ones lifes meets and greets on a regular basis, so who is to say a forum could not be the perfect place to find this company and resolve against depression?

Not me, but I'm no expert. I'm just inclined to suggest face to face relationships.

It depends i think if you see your computed friends as more than just computed more than even just familiar and something closer to what friendship actually is.

Hey, why not, right?

Either way i would not like to see myself as depressed even if i am and dont know it, still would rather not be it even if when i do know it.

It's good to prefer to not be depressed.

And i know a good treatment for it is to open it up and see whats its insides look like and as you cant always inspect yourself it is better to run off others inspections.

Yeah - like people who are trained to do such things. You don't want just anyone doing the check up. They don't know what to look for, much less how to handle what they find.

What is depression and how did you my familiar conquer it?
It wasn't just the doctors, it wasn't just your family, it was you, how did you win the day?

I was told that it involved a chemical imbalance. I took medication and did some therapy.

prothero

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:47 pm
@sometime sun,
Severe depression is a potentially fatal disease.
It can be shown there are changes in brain activity and imbalances in neurotransmitters.
It is a mistake to think depression is a sign of emotional or mental weakness.
It is a mistake to think depression can be overcome through sheer mental effort and without professional evaluation and assistance.

Deckard

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 12:36 am
@melonkali,
melonkali;123157 wrote:
And sometimes there are situations in which NOT feeling sad, depressed, a sense of despair, etc, seems inappropriate.

Perhaps it depends on what is being despaired of and thus what the object of hope is but in general I think the word "despair" represents a horrible state of mind that should always be avoided.

For example if I were to say "Well, the only appropriate thing for someone like you to do now is to just allow yourself to fall into a deep despair." or "My advice to you is to just abandon all hope right now because nothing will ever save you." at best such statements would be sarcastic, at worst they are sadistic.

However, in this day and age it may be best to keep some of your most precious hopes secret where the rabble can't pick away at them or until a time and place when you are strong enough to defend them.

mister kitten

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:28 pm
@prothero,
prothero;123172 wrote:

It is a mistake to think depression can be overcome through sheer mental effort and without professional evaluation and assistance.

Why is it a mistake?

Deckard

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:49 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;123554 wrote:
Why is it a mistake?

You can't get the drugs without the prescription and you need the drugs because you'll never ever get over it yourself. I gotta say, it's a hell of an advertising campaign and if you don't recognize that Prozac, Zoloft et al. are at least partly a manufactured need then...uh...there's this bridge in Brooklyn that I can get you great deal on. Aside from that I've got nothing against selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Cutting down on caffeine and simple sugars isn't a bad idea either - oh and get some exercise. (Note to self: Take your own advice.)

prothero

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:59 pm
@Deckard,
mister kitten;123554 wrote:
Why is it a mistake?

Deckard;123563 wrote:
You can't get the drugs without the prescription and you need the drugs because you'll never ever get over it yourself. I gotta say, it's a hell of an advertising campaign and if you don't recognize that Prozac, Zoloft et al. are at least partly a manufactured need then...uh...there's this bridge in Brooklyn that I can get you great deal on. Aside from that I've got nothing against selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Cutting down on caffeine and simple sugars isn't a bad idea either - oh and get some exercise. (Note to self: Take your own advice.)

There are of course many different types and many different degrees of depression. For minor situational depressions, changes in circumstances, lifestyle and other non medical interventions might suffice. For severe degrees of endogenous depression or various forms of heriditary depression, or degression with suicidal ideation, medical intervention is advisable and often necessary.
I fear you are out of your depth and out of your level of expereince, knowledge or training. Have you ever worked in an pyschiatric facility or an impatient mental health setting because if you have not you do not know what psychotropic drugs can do for the severely afflicted or the dangers of refusing or discontinuing treatment. Do you think women that kill their own children because of postpartum depression are just mentally weak or that a change in diet and activity is all they need?
It is true that depression may be overdiagnosed and overtreated but the truely depressed need more than self help advice.

Deckard

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:50 pm
@prothero,
prothero;123609 wrote:
There are of course many different types and many different degrees of depression. For minor situational depressions, changes in circumstances, lifestyle and other non medical interventions might suffice. For severe degrees of endogenous depression or various forms of heriditary depression, or degression with suicidal ideation, medical intervention is advisable and often necessary.
I fear you are out of your depth and out of your level of expereince, knowledge or training. Have you ever worked in an pyschiatric facility or an impatient mental health setting because if you have not you do not know what psychotropic drugs can do for the severely afflicted or the dangers of refusing or discontinuing treatment. Do you think women that kill their own children because of postpartum depression are just mentally weak or that a change in diet and activity is all they need?
It is true that depression may be overdiagnosed and overtreated but the truely depressed need more than self help advice.

I gather that you are in the mental health profession. I am not. I can respect your knowledge and experience in the field but I'm not going to wholly defer to your authority. It's just not going to happen. I don't think people who are depressed are weak at all. In fact, if someone admits that they are depressed it often raises my opinion of them.

I am for Hope and I don't think Hope has to come in the form of a pill.

Expert or not, I'm going to say it: Pharmaceuticals are NEVER the ONLY cure for depression.

But again I respect whatever work you may be doing in the field so long as it isn't advertising.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 12:11:04