do you paint?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Leonard

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:13 pm
@3k1yp2,
I do some painting, but the cost of art material makes it impossible for me to do so often (which is why i'll take an art course sometime). Most of it is bizzare; i'm not good at 'real' art.

3k1yp2

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:16 pm
@mister kitten,
Smile
mister kitten;120306 wrote:
I wish I could paint. Lack of supplies prevents me from doing so. Ohhh I could create a forest! If I ever have the chance that will be my first painting. My favourite graffiti artist is Banksy.

I licked my pastels and chalk. Chalk tastes nice, but it is just way too dry.

i agree that lack of supplies could stop one from painting. I didn't paint for quite some time for the very same reason. I do love paint and painting, it really has a cathartic affect on me

---------- Post added 01-15-2010 at 06:18 PM ----------

Leonard;120318 wrote:
I do some painting, but the cost of art material makes it impossible for me to do so often (which is why i'll take an art course sometime). Most of it is bizzare; i'm not good at 'real' art.

i can't afford art supplies either, but my art teacher is very generous because she likes me. and i think that if you like your art, then thats what matters. Just dont subject everyone else to your art if it's really bizarre or offensive. that's my opinion at least.

sometime sun

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:39 pm
@3k1yp2,
3k1yp2;120317 wrote:
I particularly like Dali as well. And sometime sun, I put art as a general topic because I was painting and in an artistic mood, but i didn't have anything in particular i wanted to discuss. But now there is something i have been thinking about: why are some people more qualified to "judge" art than others. Of course there is some degree of technical skill like composition and unity (or lack thereof) to consider, but can someone really just say that your art is mediocre or unimpressive? I went to an art competition a few months ago, and the people there serving as the judges seemed to all have their own interpretation of good art. Did i not win a place because of my luck that i drew the wrong judge? I have opted not to go this year, since i really see no point in submiting myself to hours of waiting just to prgress or lose based on someone elses whim. is there something im missing?

Interpretation and effect, even disgust is an effect so is this good art if it disgusts you? Only if you appreciate the instinct and what caused you to be effected in the fisrt place.
Sorry if i offended you in any way, that was not my intention, art is general, becasue as many people as possible are effected by it and just as many can create it, they just have not found their media, or invented their own, still i can say i dont like something and feel sure than i am not wrong that is my right as their audience.
Brom I like this guy alot recently again but does this mean i choose to view dark things over light? Does my liking mean that am dark also? Only the dark can like the dark?

G-Thomson

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:46 pm
@3k1yp2,
3k1yp2;120317 wrote:
I particularly like Dali as well. And sometime sun, I put art as a general topic because I was painting and in an artistic mood, but i didn't have anything in particular i wanted to discuss. But now there is something i have been thinking about: why are some people more qualified to "judge" art than others. Of course there is some degree of technical skill like composition and unity (or lack thereof) to consider, but can someone really just say that your art is mediocre or unimpressive? I went to an art competition a few months ago, and the people there serving as the judges seemed to all have their own interpretation of good art. Did i not win a place because of my luck that i drew the wrong judge? I have opted not to go this year, since i really see no point in submiting myself to hours of waiting just to prgress or lose based on someone elses whim. is there something im missing?

In my last year at secondary school, I was sitting my Advanced Higher Art. (I don't know what other places call it, but it's basically the highest level of qualification you can sit at high school).
I had spent hours and hours slaving over 20 A1 sheets of images that used everything from watercolours to poster paints and chalk pastels to sketches.
I had my theme. I wrote a load of words about inane things based on my theme. I wrote a detailed piece on 4 artists who inspired me. I handed everything in for the deadline. It all got wrapped up and sent to the SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority) to be marked and assessed.

What did I get for the days I slaved away painting eyes on hands and other such shenanigans?

A big. Fat. Fail.

That put me right off the education system I'll tell ya.

If I had marked it myself, I'd have given it an A+++. (But that's to be expected! :bigsmile:)

Art is a subjective thing. I doubt my Granny dearest would appreciate the intricate workings of a Banksy image of John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson imprinted on a piece of public property holding bananas for guns.
I wouldn't expect my young cousin of 5 to appreciate a Dali piece either. He's still drawing funny shaped trees and people with afros with fingerpaints.

sometime sun

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:50 pm
@Leonard,
Leonard;120318 wrote:

What is 'unreal' art? And sure you are good at some media you just have not found it yet, take a potery class you may be really good.

mister kitten

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:15 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;120314 wrote:
You dont need paint, some people use their poo, George and Gilbert who i cant stand, but it does mean you have no excuse when saying you have no supplies, you wouldn't want to lick that would you?Very Happy
Banksy is very good and pretty much the forerunner the only one with their name out there, there is a woman i like, with a name similar to yours i think but i cant quite remember off the top of my head.

I would not like to lick that umm creative alternative to paint Smile. Maybe I could use pudding! It would be better to lick too

3k1yp2

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:01 am
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;120342 wrote:
I would not like to lick that umm creative alternative to paint Smile. Maybe I could use pudding! It would be better to lick too

whenever i paint and i go to dump out my paint-water, i almost can't bear to do it because it looks like like such a pleasant color, and i have this strange urge to drink it rather than pouring it out. could it kill me depending on the type of paint? i mostly use watercolor and tempera, i have no talent with acryllic, and i have never tried oils. anybody else wanna drink teh pretty colors?

G-Thomson

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:36 am
@3k1yp2,
3k1yp2;120658 wrote:
whenever i paint and i go to dump out my paint-water, i almost can't bear to do it because it looks like like such a pleasant color, and i have this strange urge to drink it rather than pouring it out...anybody else wanna drink teh pretty colors?

There was a time when I wanted to snort lines of chalk pastel, but luckily I was sent to rehab for it.
Haha, but seriously, my paint water always turns into a dirty brown colour. I give it the arty name of, 'excrement'.
No matter what colours I use, it always seems to turn out a very dark brown at some point. :sarcastic:

This thread has encouraged me to want to indulge in my artistic endeavours again. :a-ok:

mister kitten

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:45 am
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson;120666 wrote:

This thread has encouraged me to want to indulge in my artistic endeavours again. :a-ok:

Do it! Score 1 for aesthetics

3k1yp2

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 08:03 am
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson;120666 wrote:
There was a time when I wanted to snort lines of chalk pastel, but luckily I was sent to rehab for it.
Haha, but seriously, my paint water always turns into a dirty brown colour. I give it the arty name of, 'excrement'.
No matter what colours I use, it always seems to turn out a very dark brown at some point. :sarcastic:

well, i paint either in a particular color scheme, like blues and greens, and dump the water when im switchin schemes or sections, so my water looks amazin. i wish i could save it in jars...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.36 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:27:19