Philosophy must be the luxury of the rich

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 11:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114916 wrote:
In fact, both slaves (Epictetus) and Emperors (Marcus Aurelius) have been famous philosophers.

You have sh!t poor reading skills. I said that there are exceptions to what I said was only a generalization. Maybe if you spent more time reading and less time spamming, you might be able to contribute to a conversation for a change.

kennethamy;114938 wrote:
I meant, of course, those I hang with.

Sure, isn't that convenient. Just ignore those that do not satisfy your tastes. That is like saying that spinach is not food because you don't like it.

Jebediah

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 11:32 am
@rajiraouf,
rajiraouf;115179 wrote:
I would tell the whole world, if I knew a universal answer. But as I look around me, I do see what I can do to make small differences.I don't think I can answer for everyone.

Nevertheless, the above question you asked was my point. This is a "what" question, that has higher precedence over all the "why" questions asked by philosophers(IMO).

I think the "why" question has to come first. Shouldn't you have an answer to "why should we help these people?" before talking about what we could do?

I do take your point that many philosophical questions are a bit frivolous in comparison to struggling for food. But if they were raised here, would they do any different? It seems like you are already dismissing taking drastic action, and are talking about the small differences you can make. Why is that?

You don't have to answer, I'm just making the point that the "why" questions are important.

rajiraouf

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:12 pm
@Jebediah,
I am going to risk self contradiction, but whatever.

Philosophy is to the real world as masturbation is to sex - Karl Marx

Art is much less important than life, but what a poor life without it - Robert Motherwell

Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we have received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work - Mother Teresa

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:55:05