Philosophy must be the luxury of the rich

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Philosophy must be the luxury of the rich

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 09:50 pm
Philosophy as a rational investigation of existence, ethics and beliefs is quite fine with me. But as I see the real world around me I doubt if it will ever serve a noble purpose.

Pardon my pessimism, but I have just been to a mud-house in a village in Bihar,India. The house had a floor area of not more than 3 square meters. And in those 3 square meters a family of seven including 3 grandparents and 2 children lived. The village had about a hundred houses all that size, some even smaller. Those houses don't have any bathroom's, all natural calls are answered in the surrounding fields. My one bathroom alone is bigger than their entire home.

I am told half the world lives on less than $2 per day. More than a million live on less than a $1 a day. The only real question asked by half the world is, where do I get my next meal? How do we get our next meal?

And here we are all dandy and candy, toiling over meta thoughts and dead dutch people's writings. Do all these serve a purpose?

Or is it a luxury we indulge in, so as to blind ourselves from what we could actually do that would make a difference?

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 10:03 pm
@rajiraouf,
rajiraouf;114750 wrote:

And here we are all dandy and candy, toiling over meta thoughts and dead dutch people's writings. Do all these serve a purpose?

Or is it a luxury we indulge in, so as to blind ourselves from what we could actually do that would make a difference?

Sounds like a question for philosophy! And whether we should live up our luck or share some of it is also perhaps a question for philosophy, especially for the otherwise irreligious.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 10:08 pm
@rajiraouf,
rajiraouf;114750 wrote:
Philosophy as a rational investigation of existence, ethics and beliefs is quite fine with me. But as I see the real world around me I doubt if it will ever serve a noble purpose.

Pardon my pessimism, but I have just been to a mud-house in a village in Bihar,India. The house had a floor area of not more than 3 square meters. And in those 3 square meters a family of seven including 3 grandparents and 2 children lived. The village had about a hundred houses all that size, some even smaller. Those houses don't have any bathroom's, all natural calls are answered in the surrounding fields. My one bathroom alone is bigger than their entire home.

I am told half the world lives on less than $2 per day. More than a million live on less than a $1 a day. The only real question asked by half the world is, where do I get my next meal? How do we get our next meal?

Yes, and so is: science, art, music, romantic love, chess, dominoes, your arguing for your belief about this, and everything else that makes human life worth living.

Quinn phil

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 11:49 pm
@rajiraouf,
rajiraouf;114750 wrote:

I've thought about this to many times. What do we achieve by thinking? From the children who have nothing, who work to build the houses we live in to make a little bit of bread. Us philosophers, we live in these houses and... Think. someone has to do it. Some people find it interesting, some people don't. Joes and Jims.

Think about this.... Celebrities get paid just to run around and act dumb as ****, hence, "Reality T.V". Are they helping the children in India? The kids living on the sidewalk? Nope. They entertain those who have a TV, and like to gossip, and find security in seeing that celebreties **** up, just as everyday people do. Philosophers are needed for peoples comfort, just as the entire entertainment business is. Philosophers don't just "Wonder". They create most of the ideas and concepts we have today. Most of the quotes, most of the guidelines, most of the psychological findings, yada yada. They understand human behavior, for the most part. Some apply logic to things. Some apply intuition. Some apply critical thinking. Philosophers don't just sit around and wonder comfortably all day, I know I don't.

I live in an apartment. I have advanced classes, and I have about 4 hours of homework a day, plus sports and musical extra curricular. I don't sit down in my magnificent red robe when I get home, take out a big cigar and just "Think about meta-stuff." I think about this in my spare time, and even when I'm forced to do the things of every-day life. Without philosophers, I have no doubt that the world would be guided to do the effective things that they do. Now, I like to think about whether the world is real or not. That's just fun. But things like ethics, logic, law, science (etc...) counts in the real life. Very, very, VERY indirectly, we help society as a whole.

Deckard

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 12:40 am
@rajiraouf,
rajiraouf;114750 wrote:

What can we do? Well start simple - what's one thing we can do to make a difference?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:59 am
@Quinn phil,
Quinn;114810 wrote:
I've thought about this to many times. What do we achieve by thinking? From the children who have nothing, who work to build the houses we live in to make a little bit of bread. Us philosophers, we live in these houses and... Think. someone has to do it. Some people find it interesting, some people don't. Joes and Jims.

Think about this.... Celebrities get paid just to run around and act dumb as ****, hence, "Reality T.V". Are they helping the children in India? The kids living on the sidewalk? Nope. They entertain those who have a TV, and like to gossip, and find security in seeing that celebreties **** up, just as everyday people do. Philosophers are needed for peoples comfort, just as the entire entertainment business is. Philosophers don't just "Wonder". They create most of the ideas and concepts we have today. Most of the quotes, most of the guidelines, most of the psychological findings, yada yada. They understand human behavior, for the most part. Some apply logic to things. Some apply intuition. Some apply critical thinking. Philosophers don't just sit around and wonder comfortably all day, I know I don't.

I live in an apartment. I have advanced classes, and I have about 4 hours of homework a day, plus sports and musical extra curricular. I don't sit down in my magnificent red robe when I get home, take out a big cigar and just "Think about meta-stuff." I think about this in my spare time, and even when I'm forced to do the things of every-day life. Without philosophers, I have no doubt that the world would be guided to do the effective things that they do. Now, I like to think about whether the world is real or not. That's just fun. But things like ethics, logic, law, science (etc...) counts in the real life. Very, very, VERY indirectly, we help society as a whole.

What magnificent red robe are you referring to? Mine is a royal purple. That's higher than red, you know.

Quinn phil

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 11:52 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114845 wrote:
What magnificent red robe are you referring to? Mine is a royal purple. That's higher than red, you know.

Mmmkay. I was making a stereotypical comparison: People who do nothing but sit down in their red robes and smoke cigars are lazy and rich. It's not true, but can be. I was trying to make a point that philosophizing isn't always luxurious. Not only is it kind of tough in some areas, but it's often done in spare time.

Aedes

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 11:57 am
@Quinn phil,
Quinn;114810 wrote:
Philosophers create most of the ideas and concepts we have today.
No they don't, they just articulate them. Philosophers are reflections of society -- they do not create society.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 12:36 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;114900 wrote:
No they don't, they just articulate them. Philosophers are reflections of society -- they do not create society.

Certainly not. Only the very best of society.

---------- Post added 12-28-2009 at 01:39 PM ----------

If the way I have shown to lead to these things now seems very hard, still, it can be found. And of course, what is found so rarely must be hard. For if salvation were at hand, and could be found without great effort, how could nearly everyone neglect it? But all things excellent are as difficult as they are rare.

Baruch de Spinoza (the concluding words of his Ethics).

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 12:39 pm
@rajiraouf,
Philosophy is not a luxury of the rich. In fact, it seems the richer or poorer people get, the less that philosophy matters. Rich people have the comfort of lots of money to not concern themselves with philosophical questions and poor people lack the comfort and necessities that are required to reflect on these questions. Of course, this is just a generalization to make a point, and that there are many exceptions in many different societies. But in general, philosophy only matters to those who have their needs met, but do not have an overabundance of comfort.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 12:56 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;114912 wrote:
Philosophy is not a luxury of the rich. In fact, it seems the richer or poorer people get, the less that philosophy matters. Rich people have the comfort of lots of money to not concern themselves with philosophical questions and poor people lack the comfort and necessities that are required to reflect on these questions. Of course, this is just a generalization to make a point, and that there are many exceptions in many different societies. But in general, philosophy only matters to those who have their needs met, but do not have an overabundance of comfort.

In fact, both slaves (Epictetus) and Emperors (Marcus Aurelius) have been famous philosophers.

xris

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 01:43 pm
@kennethamy,
It begs the question what is a philosopher, I'm not what society would call a valued philosopher but i do philosophise about life. I struggled with a life's provisions and have felt the pains of hunger. Most of my life was an attempt at keeping a roof over my families heads. In the depths of poverty these poor souls find themselves, philosophising to them may mean everything. When you have very little you still have the ability to be rational and contemplate your existance.

I can remember an army exercise, three days in the mountains, raining with no food, no sleep, i asked a fellow soldier how he was doing , was he happy... Fricking delirious..was his reply. Philosophy is the creation of humour, of objective contemplation, available to all who require its assistance.

Aedes

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 01:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114910 wrote:
Certainly not. Only the very best of society.
really -- Heidegger represented the very best of society? A Hitler-fawning Nazi who turned Jews into the police?

Nietzsche, an insane mysogynist represented the best of society?

Plato who advocated slavery and taking children from their mothers (at least as he wrote in the Republic) represented the best of society?

Come on. Just because someone has the verbal moxy to write philosophy doesn't make them good or bad.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 02:03 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;114934 wrote:
really -- Heidegger represented the very best of society? A Hitler-fawning Nazi who turned Jews into the police?

Nietzsche, an insane mysogynist represented the best of society?

Plato who advocated slavery and taking children from their mothers (at least as he wrote in the Republic) represented the best of society?

Come on. Just because someone has the verbal moxy to write philosophy doesn't make them good or bad.

I meant, of course, those I hang with.

xris

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 02:13 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114938 wrote:
I meant, of course, those I hang with.
What from the gibbet?

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 04:23 pm
@rajiraouf,
I don't think it's all that connected to money. Humans tend to use words to justify themselves -- some more creatively than others. Schopenhauer could have spent more time and money on prostitutes or alcohol. Instead he chose to read, write, and play the flute.

Some people are poor because philosophy or art gives them so much pleasure that they forget to seek the traditional means of happiness. But they generally have food and shelter, and this is only poverty in a rich place like America.

Khethil

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 04:28 pm
@rajiraouf,
While its true that those who are immediately concerned with their everyday needs are justly preoccupied with them, that's not to say that they're never left pondering the same things we do.

I dunno people, we can't much deify those whose names we've battered about here so often. Prudence and the largest helping of experience has taught me that the finest poet likely never put pen to paper. The most balanced and considered philosopher could have died with a name we'll never know, and the fairest, sweetest song ever written might have well been whistled by someone, sitting by a lake, long ago and far away (or has yet to).

So take heart; yes, though there's much suffering and want, the best of us is yet out there, somewhere. Philosophy is a natural permuation of the thinker who guesses, seeks to explain or pulls back their field of view to a wider panorama; it's not endemic to the rich, no... I think not.

Thanks

rajiraouf

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:38 pm
@Khethil,
Deckard;114819 wrote:
what's one thing we can do to make a difference?

I would tell the whole world, if I knew a universal answer. But as I look around me, I do see what I can do to make small differences.I don't think I can answer for everyone.

Nevertheless, the above question you asked was my point. This is a "what" question, that has higher precedence over all the "why" questions asked by philosophers(IMO). In our process to answer your question, I feel most of our questions regarding our existence and thoughts are automatically answered. When we get our hands and feet dirty and actually go down into a society and work for it, amongst its lesser privileged, I believe many of our questions regarding "meaning of life", "why this, and why not" cease to exist. For purpose lies there, and not in a heavily caffeinated mind.

Aedes;114900 wrote:

Aedes;114934 wrote:
... Heidegger....Nietzsche, ....Plato ....

I think philosophers reflect on society in a way that pleases them(the philosopher). They are not necessarily reflections of society.

Reconstructo;114991 wrote:

Some people are poor because philosophy or art gives them so much pleasure that they forget to seek the traditional means of happiness. But they generally have food and shelter, and this is only poverty in a rich place like America.

:sarcastic:. By world standards, if they have food and shelter, they are NOT poor. And food and shelter are not means of happiness. I am sure we can agree on that.

Aedes

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:41 pm
@rajiraouf,
rajiraouf;115179 wrote:
I think philosophers reflect on society in a way that pleases them(the philosopher). They are not necessarily reflections of society.
These are not mutually exclusive, though. They are a reflection of some facets of their society, but no society is monomorphic.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:48 pm
@xris,
xris;114941 wrote:
What from the gibbet?

Maybe eventually.

---------- Post added 12-28-2009 at 10:51 PM ----------

rajiraouf;115179 wrote:
I would tell the whole world, if I knew a universal answer. But as I look around me, I do see what I can do to make small differences.I don't think I can answer for everyone.

Nevertheless, the above question you asked was my point. This is a "what" question, that has higher precedence over all the "why" questions asked by philosophers(IMO). In our process to answer your question, I feel most of our questions regarding our existence and thoughts are automatically answered. When we get our hands and feet dirty and actually go down into a society and work for it, amongst its lesser privileged, I believe many of our questions regarding "meaning of life", "why this, and why not" cease to exist. For purpose lies there, and not in a heavily caffeinated mind.

:sarcastic:. By world standards, if they have food and shelter, they are NOT poor. And food and shelter are not means of happiness. I am sure we can agree on that.

And food and shelter are not means of happiness. I am sure we can agree on that.

I don't know what you mean by "means", but they are certainly necessary conditions of happiness.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Philosophy must be the luxury of the rich
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:10:53