Christmas, what are your traditions?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 07:56 am
@Lily,
Lily;114181 wrote:
Hmm.. It feels as if I ought to explain this for you. Yes it is a Swedish tradition, and I think it's about one third of the population that watches the show. I didn't watch the whole show yesterday, because my little cousin was very eager to open her presents(which was a bit complicated by the fact that she couldn't read to whom the presents were). I think that was the first time, at least as I can remember, I didn't watch the whole show. And laugh if you want, but aren't all traditions a bit... weird, at least to the unitiated? I think of it more as a modern version of sitting around the fireplace telling stories and fairytales. To me, nowadays, watching Karl-Bertil Jonson's Christmas is more important :shifty:. Yes, the telly is a big part of the Swedish Christmas. Oh, and by the way, today is Christmas Day, which doesn't mean much to me, but still MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!


Sweden's bizarre tradition of watching Donald Duck (Kalle Anka) cartoons on Christmas Eve. - By Jeremy Stahl - Slate Magazine http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/misc/progress.gif http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/edit.gif
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 10:37 am
@kennethamy,
Jack Frost (1964 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sounds great in the wiki. But once you watch this gem of Soviet Cold War production, you will see what I mean. Actually, watch the MST3K version for maximum effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68lii7CUdFw
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 10:43 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;114208 wrote:
Actually, no laughing was intended. I was curious to see if the Slate article was truthful or not. I was pointing out how neat it was that Americans have identical traditions such as catching a rerun on the same holiday. Whereas the Swedish have "Donald Duck and his friends wish you a Merry Christmas," Americans have shows like "Charlie Brown Christmas" and "Frosty the Snowman." Same tradition, different media. .


Doesn't at all seem to be the same thing. There is no such established and closely followed routine in American. Many people have nothing to do with it, My family did not, and neither do I. When it is done, it is not done with the kind of seriousness the article describes. It seems quite different in Sweden.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 12:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114210 wrote:
Doesn't at all seem to be the same thing. There is no such established and closely followed routine in American. Many people have nothing to do with it, My family did not, and neither do I. When it is done, it is not done with the kind of seriousness the article describes. It seems quite different in Sweden.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 02:01 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;114217 wrote:



It is the very same Donald Duck thing year after year. In fact, they raise a fuss unless it is. The same Superbowl is not run year after year (although it might seem so). But, whatever you say. I suppose it pleases you to think that everyone is equally silly.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:25 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114224 wrote:
It is the very same Donald Duck thing year after year. In fact, they raise a fuss unless it is. The same Superbowl is not run year after year (although it might seem so). But, whatever you say. I suppose it pleases you to think that everyone is equally silly.


Ironically, I could ask you about whether or not you really think that the very same Donald duck thing is shown year after year? In many respects, it is not since even the most subtle differences in programming (or even yourself) make it unique from the year before. Can I really step in the same river twice? I get the impression from you that I could in the case of Donald Duck.

As to the whole "I suppose it pleases you to think that everyone is equally silly" personal jab, I take no offense since I wish everyone a good sense of humor and a happy holiday!
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:29 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;114248 wrote:
Ironically, I could ask you about whether or not you really think that the very same Donald duck thing is shown year after year? In many respects, it is not since even the most subtle differences in programming (or even yourself) make it unique from the year before. Can I really step in the same river twice? I get the impression from you that I could in the case of Donald Duck.

!


This is not a philosophical issue. The fact is that it is the same film every year. Heraclitus has nothing to do with it. Happy Holiday to you too.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114252 wrote:
This is not a philosophical issue. The fact is that it is the same film every year. Heraclitus has nothing to do with it. Happy Holiday to you too.


On the contrary, even this entire thread deals with philosophical issues in one way or another, whether that be in relation to the relative ways in which we experience the same holiday or how we choose to celebrate it and everything outside and in-between. The issue with Donald Duck is only a small part of the grander discussion. But I suppose it all depends on how abstractly you want to look at things. Personally, I don't find the denial of philosophical content too demonstrative of abstraction, but to each their own I suppose. Happy holidays again (since the holidays are just so darned happy)!!!
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:58 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;114261 wrote:
But I suppose it all depends on how abstractly you want to look at things.



Not so abstractly that the facts are ignored.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114264 wrote:
Not so abstractly that the facts are ignored.


That's a very interesting point you bring up. In what way are the facts ignored here? It couldn't be in reference to the fact that the Donald Duck special is played year after year, since no one is denying that. You would have to elaborate more on your point to make it more substantial.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:14 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I ate my duck, i will not be making it a tradition.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:15 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;114271 wrote:
I ate my duck, i will not be making it a tradition.


It sounds like you did not enjoy your duck.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:41 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;114272 wrote:
It sounds like you did not enjoy your duck.


You can be grateful for something even recognise the blessing, doesn't always mean you will like it, more fat and meat than i am accustomed to.
 
salima
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:03 pm
@Lily,
in the case of television programming, i think it is safe to say that the same things are rerun every year on holidays-that is how i was usually able to find it's a wonderful life and 'a christmas carol' until i finally bought them on video and could watch them whenever i wanted to. the statistics of how many people actually watch is interesting though-it shows that the tradition is more in running these things on television than watching them...doesnt king kong get run every year along with some football game?

i used to love roast duck when i was young, before i had actually seen them alive. then i became a vegetarian. but before becoming, one year my son (must have been about 8 years old) asked me to make a goose, like in the story 'a christmas carol'. that year in school the class was performing it, and he was playing the part of scrooge. anyway, i like to try new things so i made the goose-it was absolutely horrible, entirely fat free (i think the fat is the best part!) and tough as old shoes. we actually were not able to eat it at all.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:21 pm
@salima,
salima;114284 wrote:
in the case of television programming, i think it is safe to say that the same things are rerun every year on holidays-that is how i was usually able to find it's a wonderful life and 'a christmas carol' until i finally bought them on video and could watch them whenever i wanted to. the statistics of how many people actually watch is interesting though-it shows that the tradition is more in running these things on television than watching them...doesnt king kong get run every year along with some football game?

i used to love roast duck when i was young, before i had actually seen them alive. then i became a vegetarian. but before becoming, one year my son (must have been about 8 years old) asked me to make a goose, like in the story 'a christmas carol'. that year in school the class was performing it, and he was playing the part of scrooge. anyway, i like to try new things so i made the goose-it was absolutely horrible, entirely fat free (i think the fat is the best part!) and tough as old shoes. we actually were not able to eat it at all.


I would have been better off with my tofu, i love tofu and funny enough is one of my usual Friday traditions, if i had regarded today (now yesterday) as a regular occurance i would have had a better day and meal, having to deal with a carcass, instead of hot oil and soy sause, 'and no death to be needed to be grateful for', the vegetarian in me speaks.
As for the poor television this year all my traditions were missed due to the fact they have lost their meaning through the constant rerun and devolution and unoriginality entertainment is saturated with rerun rehash, but you cant beat a classic 'A Christmas Carol' but i would prefer a retelling rather than rerun, i watched a tv adaptation of Hogfather and The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchet, seeing the Discworld give birth to more baby worlds was wonderful.
By the way Happy Christmas Salima sorry i dont believe in cards.Smile
 
salima
 
Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 02:13 am
@Lily,
i dont believe in cards either! not even ecards!
i think it must have been the soy sauce that ruined it...duck should be unseasoned for the most part, except for possibly a mild orange sauce...
happy christmas to you too, sometime!
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 02:29 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;114268 wrote:
That's a very interesting point you bring up. In what way are the facts ignored here? It couldn't be in reference to the fact that the Donald Duck special is played year after year, since no one is denying that. You would have to elaborate more on your point to make it more substantial.


You compared that with the Superbowl, and that is ignoring the fact that the very same game in the Superbowl is not played year after year.

---------- Post added 12-26-2009 at 03:31 AM ----------

salima;114361 wrote:
i dont believe in cards either! not even ecards!
i think it must have been the soy sauce that ruined it...duck should be unseasoned for the most part, except for possibly a mild orange sauce...
happy christmas to you too, sometime!


And what of Peking Duck I'd like to know!
 
salima
 
Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 08:07 am
@Lily,
doesnt really sound too good for me, although i used to think sweet and sour pork was cool. but that wouldnt include soy sauce, perhaps? that stuff is lethal-
 
Elmud
 
Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 11:12 am
@Lily,
We use to exchange gifts or at least send a card to express the thought that we cared about each other.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 01:21 pm
@salima,
salima;114284 wrote:
in the case of television programming, i think it is safe to say that the same things are rerun every year on holidays-that is how i was usually able to find it's a wonderful life and 'a christmas carol' until i finally bought them on video and could watch them whenever i wanted to. the statistics of how many people actually watch is interesting though-it shows that the tradition is more in running these things on television than watching them...doesnt king kong get run every year along with some football game?

i used to love roast duck when i was young, before i had actually seen them alive. then i became a vegetarian. but before becoming, one year my son (must have been about 8 years old) asked me to make a goose, like in the story 'a christmas carol'. that year in school the class was performing it, and he was playing the part of scrooge. anyway, i like to try new things so i made the goose-it was absolutely horrible, entirely fat free (i think the fat is the best part!) and tough as old shoes. we actually were not able to eat it at all.


i think it is safe to say that the same things are rerun every year on holidays

But then, it is not a ritual for the entire country to sit down and watch it at a particular time with intense seriousness.

Yes, goose is not my favorite food. But Chinese Peking Duck (well made) is one of my favorites.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 08/03/2020 at 11:44:55