Why don't humans have fur?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Krumple

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 05:18 am
@salima,
salima;104780 wrote:
since i dont know how to multiquote (cant see videos) i will comment on certain points.

There is another method you could use if you can't nail multi-quoting. Just click the quote button once and then copy and paste the first quote tag for every section you want to quote by them. Then end the quote with a standard [/quote] tag.

salima;104780 wrote:

secondly, if we keep cutting off one of our fingers how do the genes know that happened to be able to eliminate it in later models?

It doesn't work like that. How it works is like a child being born with the missing fingers and if it survives it has a chance to pass down the missing finger trait to it's offspring. But remember the partner to the missing finger child would "cloud" the chances of their children having missing fingers.

salima;104780 wrote:

wouldnt it be better to tie everyone's pinky in a splint for a number of generations so it couldnt do anything, and then the genes would recognize it wasnt being used and stop making them?

Probably not. Since it would have to do with the genes themselves and not the act of the wrapping. Most genetic alterations are due to small changes in the environment during conception or alterations in the parents genes in some way through mutations.

salima;104780 wrote:

third, i happen to like kinky crooked and missing teeth...i often chose my mates on that basis. crooked noses is pretty cool too, but not necessary.

Interesting. The only thing I could think as a reason why would have to be that some male figure you respected as a child had crooked teeth and that somehow stuck with you.

salima;104780 wrote:

and last of all, i dont know why we dont have fur or if we ever did, but i think we would look a helluva lot better with it than without!

I object. Even though I like the looks of cats and dogs, I think the world would be one big fur pile if humans had fur. Fleas would be rampant. Hair dye would be expensive and annoying. I could see some young women dying all their fur hot pink. And I think I'll have to stop there before I get into the explicit explanations that most of you wouldn't probably care to read. I'll just leave you with, a mouth full of fur is not tasty.

IntoTheLight

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:18 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;103838 wrote:
I would also love to have a tail. I can see a billion dollar industry there: tail care.

Not me. I can think of all kinds of really painful injuries that would happen such as getting your tail slammed in doors, caught in paper shredders, stepped on in nightclubs and bars, caught in the esclalator, etc.

--IntoTheLight--

salima

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:48 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;104827 wrote:
There is another method you could use if you can't nail multi-quoting. Just click the quote button once and then copy and paste the first quote tag for every section you want to quote by them. Then end the quote with a standard
tag.

I object. Even though I like the looks of cats and dogs, I think the world would be one big fur pile if humans had fur. Fleas would be rampant. Hair dye would be expensive and annoying. I could see some young women dying all their fur hot pink. And I think I'll have to stop there before I get into the explicit explanations that most of you wouldn't probably care to read. I'll just leave you with, a mouth full of fur is not tasty.[/QUOTE]

if i had directions i could do it, but videos dont do it for me. i tried what you are saying once but then all my replies were inside the box with the quote...

is the multiquote button used if you are quoting more than one poster as well as wanting to separate the portions of one person's really long post and insert your own comments?

yeah, i hadnt really thought of the practicality of my human friends being furry...just the aesthetics.

***well that's interesting...i have no idea how i removed the word 'tag' from inside the box no, it couldnt have been anything i did, i think the software must have gone bonkers with the words repeated in your quote and made it think it was supposed to do something...now that i think about it, that's funny!

xris

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:15 am
@salima,
I have just read an article on the possibility of aquatic man. It is controversial theory with many varying views on the possibility. To me the idea sounds reasonable as we have a strange desire to sit by the water and dive into its depths. I have tried finding out in anthrotropic terms why our noses are so well suited to diving into water. It appears a very pleasant way of surviving, sitting around the BBQ with fresh fish, coconuts and tropical seas, sounds like my idea of Eden.

sometime sun

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:45 pm
@xris,
xris; sounds like Australia.

The point i was trying to make briefly before is that 'flesh remembers'.
Can and does it remember the pain of a nose job and decide that it would not like this pain for its offspring?
It may be just that people are only breeding with 'regular' nosed people but these differences are becoming less and less, i dont see that many differences between people anymore, no distinguishing features, save for hair that is, but this is generational (we all want to prove our individuality through diversity (as long as someone else has done it)), there are less and less of that regal roman nose.
Do we only see the distinguishable when we chose to distinguish even discriminate?
But this is trend i suppose and the offspring have not yet grown into their own destinctions. But what i was trying to think or ask was that if someone has their ears pinned back will this trend be settled in the womb or on the operating table, either way we are passing on a trait to the next gen whether it be psychological or physical.
Or is this less diversity just that my television and fiction and the actors imagination therein we want to see are becoming the familiar rather than should be the norm (which is the whole diversity, big proud teeth, nose ears). When i was young a book i read described (and being young the story in the book was as real as real) a magician with a long hawk nose, and i went around wishing i had this same hawk nose.
Do we subscribe find atractive to what we see as normal the later on and more diluted conformed we become with fiction and our imaginations sedated by normality, pretty?
So maybe our meeting of the community is more through what we see as social viewership subscription from the channel and we somehow confuse this program with reality. I dont believe that the long nosed people are not breeding, they may just be staying at home and if so what a sorry state we are in when we judge ourselves by anothers conformist viewership.
I ask again, are more people getting reguarly pretty?
Or it is all just television?
Pretty as conformity.
Or are people just staying at home
Or am i just not getting out enough?Smile:thats-enough:
(it may even be that we no longer see what we do not come to understand/relate as regular, as pretty, easier to pass the ugly bum tramp person in the street these days? easier not to see them because they are not pretty)
Sorry but not if this is off piece a bit.

Krumple

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:48 pm
@salima,
Sal, I'll try to explain it another way, maybe this will be a little clearer.

After you push the quote post button the first line that you will see will have a bracket followed by QUOTE=name and then some numbers with a closed bracket. If you highlight that whole thing from beginning bracket to closed bracket you can copy it.

The next step is to add in an end quote tag. Bracket / quote bracket. It should look like this [/quote]

So here is a complete example but replace the ( ) with [ ] :

(QUOTE=salima;104838) Here is the quote that you want to quote. Everything in between these the two tags should be quoted by the person.(/QUOTE)

This is outside the quote tags so this text would appear as a normal response to the above quote.

(QUOTE=salima;104838) This is where I would quote them a second time to make another response to a second quoting(/QUOTE)

And my response is outside the quote tag so it would also appear unquoted.

salima;104838 wrote:
***well that's interesting...i have no idea how i removed the word 'tag' from inside the box no, it couldnt have been anything i did, i think the software must have gone bonkers with the words repeated in your quote and made it think it was supposed to do something...now that i think about it, that's funny!

salima

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:36 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;105074 wrote:
Sal, I'll try to explain it another way, maybe this will be a little clearer.

After you push the quote post button the first line that you will see will have a bracket followed by QUOTE=name and then some numbers with a closed bracket. If you highlight that whole thing from beginning bracket to closed bracket you can copy it.

The next step is to add in an end quote tag. Bracket / quote bracket. It should look like this

So here is a complete example but replace the ( ) with [ ] :

(QUOTE=salima;104838) Here is the quote that you want to quote. Everything in between these the two tags should be quoted by the person.(/QUOTE)

This is outside the quote tags so this text would appear as a normal response to the above quote.

(QUOTE=salima;104838) This is where I would quote them a second time to make another response to a second quoting(/QUOTE)

And my response is outside the quote tag so it would also appear unquoted.[/QUOTE]

so there wont be a box with a light blue background, that would be the difference. right? sure, i can do that. i didnt know if that was acceptable to the moderators, there had been an issue when someone attempted to quote in their style!

Poseidon

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 04:42 pm
@Arjuna,
Xris, you beat me to it.

Lyall Watson argued quite effectively that humans originated from the sea.
And that cro-magnon appears out of nowhere (missing link)
because his ancestors lived in the ocean.

He presents several pieces of evidence,
I don't remember it all precisely, but these are the reasons I have gathered from his book 'Dreams of Dragons' as well as my own meditations.

1) just about the only mammals without fur are humans an cetaceans
2) the only mammals that mate face to face are humans and cetaceans
3) cro-magnon seems to appear out of nowhere
4) water births are most effective
5) we require more salt in our food than other creatures
6) it explains our upright posture, as we would have floated vertically in the water
7) woman do not lose their hair as this was used by children to hold onto their mothers
8) babies have a grasping hand reflex to hold onto the mother's hair

The last few are a bit vague, but his idea explains the missing link very effectively.
I have also noted that I get cold very easily unless I eat alot of salt.

I often swim in the sea in winter, and I shiver all the way until I am in the water,
and then happily walk along the beach in my trunks watching all the people shivering beneath their scarfs and coats.

But hey, perhaps given my title on this forum, I could be seen to be a bit biased.

xris

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 11:08 am
@Poseidon,
Thanks for that oh sea god. It may be romantics but I can definitely see our ancient love of the sea in our psyche. They say that many coastal areas show signs of thousands of years of humans living off of sea food. It does not take much imagination to see us as part aquatic when the seas where much warmer. It was good source of food and eating raw fish is an extremely healthy diet for us. When the circumstances are similar you see us returning to this life style quite readily.

Arjuna

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 11:27 am
@xris,
xris;106382 wrote:
Thanks for that oh sea god. It may be romantics but I can definitely see our ancient love of the sea in our psyche. They say that many coastal areas show signs of thousands of years of humans living off of sea food. It does not take much imagination to see us as part aquatic when the seas where much warmer. It was good source of food and eating raw fish is an extremely healthy diet for us. When the circumstances are similar you see us returning to this life style quite readily.
Yea, I read that there is evidence of human settlement in South America at least 25,000 years ago. I don't think they swam all the way, but there's reason to believe they went by sea.

The call the of the sea is dark and somber... it feels like green moss.. it comes from the depths. There's no mistaking it: it's love.

prothero

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 01:56 pm
@Arjuna,
Maybe if we spent more time outdoors in cold climates without clothes?
We certainly have enough hair follicles.
Some humans have a lot of "fur".
It all started with those stupid "fig leafs".

Arjuna

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 05:26 pm
@prothero,
Yea! So which came first: protective clothing or shame about being naked?

Maybe a study should be conducted to determine if nudist are growing fur. The thing is: they'd probably just be selected for who's immune to skin cancer... which means it would select for people with more melanin in their skin?

I'm still not seeing what conditions select for no fur. I'm pondering that it had to do with sweating. I'm trying not to be Lamarkian here.

Sweating is dangerous in cold climates, though. Which brings up the issue of when furless homo sapiens came on the scene: maybe it happened during an interglacial. Then going into a glacial period, some people started wearing furs. People who couldn't get with the clothes thing died off and thus: shame at nakedness is a remnant of a climate change. Yea, I'm in over my head.

Maybe it came into being along with some other change that was beneficial for survival, and we just overcame the hairlessness issue with dirt, skins, and eventually spandex... the clothes of superheroes.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:12:54