Looking for some feedback on my site at Links.com?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Looking for some feedback on my site at Links.com?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

richrf

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 10:11 am
Hi everyone,

I am working on an idea on my site at Links.com. It is still shaping up and I have lots of things I need to do, but I thought I would ask you guys for some feedback on the general idea. Please be brutally honest. If the idea is worthless let me know. If it has merit, let me know how I might make the site more usable. Thanks for the feedback.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 10:26 am
@richrf,
richrf;98113 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am working on an idea on my site at Links.com. It is still shaping up and I have lots of things I need to do, but I thought I would ask you guys for some feedback on the general idea. Please be brutally honest. If the idea is worthless let me know. If it has merit, let me know how I might make the site more usable. Thanks for the feedback.

Rich

I think it is an excellent idea. Of course, a lot depends on how it is implemented. But it is interesting and useful. And, obviously can be expanded. I am bookmarking it.

jgweed

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 11:18 am
@richrf,
Is this your own personal page, or just a "prototype" for something you are thinking of creating on your own?

richrf

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 12:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98119 wrote:
I think it is an excellent idea. Of course, a lot depends on how it is implemented. But it is interesting and useful. And, obviously can be expanded. I am bookmarking it.

Thanks. Any feedback on how to make the site more useful is greatly appreciated. I know it needs a search engine. The theme didn't have it for some reason.

Thank again for the feedback.

Rich

---------- Post added 10-17-2009 at 01:44 PM ----------

jgweed;98137 wrote:
Is this your own personal page, or just a "prototype" for something you are thinking of creating on your own?

The site is a site that I would like to develop in order to generate traffic (primarily) and ad revenue (secondarily). It is in the prototype stage at the moment. I just put it together over the last couple of days. There are bugs with the polling service (PollDaddy) that I have to work out but they are out of town until Monday. I probably need a new theme or I will need to have someone work on the current theme. The whole site is based upon Wordpress.

Any feedback, positive as well brutally negative, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rich

Pangloss

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 02:02 pm
@richrf,
Ok, well, in short, I think it looks like a decent idea/concept, but the execution of it can be improved (which you seem to have said in your last post).

The polls and layout are not really that bad, but I think it looks a bit bland, and cluttered. If it were more organized, with maybe some more color and graphics, and not as many polls and data crunched together in the layout, it would be a major improvement, imho. Also, at least on my viewing setup, the navigation bar at the top looks off, and could definitely be improved upon.

richrf

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 02:27 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;98161 wrote:
Ok, well, in short, I think it looks like a decent idea/concept, but the execution of it can be improved (which you seem to have said in your last post).

The polls and layout are not really that bad, but I think it looks a bit bland, and cluttered. If it were more organized, with maybe some more color and graphics, and not as many polls and data crunched together in the layout, it would be a major improvement, imho. Also, at least on my viewing setup, the navigation bar at the top looks off, and could definitely be improved upon.

Thanks for the feedback. Would a theme like this be more interesting?

News Theme

or this?

New Theme

Would you bookmark a site like this?

I put lots of polls on the homepage so that people can quickly see lots of polls, one of which may be interesting. Is it too overwhelming?

Thanks again for all of the feedback.

Rich

Pangloss

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 02:47 pm
@richrf,
Hey Rich, I'm not really sure which theme on that page you're linking to...both links just take me to the top of that list of 60 themes. I'd say the hybrid news theme would be a decent improvement over the current one, just from quickly scrolling through that list.

I would bookmark it if your links turn out to be worthwhile, and are recommended with honest reviews/polls, and if the site layout is visually appealing.

Yes, I'd say that currently the polls are a bit overwhelming in how they are all right next to each other like that, with no other relevant content to make each poll 'fit in' to the page. Polls shouldn't be the main attraction for your site, so don't make them as such. Just my humble opinion.

richrf

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 02:53 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;98168 wrote:
Hey Rich, I'm not really sure which theme on that page you're linking to...both links just take me to the top of that list of 60 themes. I'd say the hybrid news theme would be a decent improvement over the current one, just from quickly scrolling through that list.

I would bookmark it if your links turn out to be worthwhile, and are recommended with honest reviews/polls, and if the site layout is visually appealing.

Yes, I'd say that currently the polls are a bit overwhelming in how they are all right next to each other like that, with no other relevant content to make each poll 'fit in' to the page. Polls shouldn't be the main attraction for your site, so don't make them as such. Just my humble opinion.

OK. Thanks for the feedback. The idea was to make polls the main attraction, so if the idea doesn't have merit, then I would like to know about it. Since the site is Links.com, I need an idea that hovers around the theme of links and has some value that people will bookmark and come back to it. Base upon Google Analytics so far, the average time spent on the site is about twice what it was before but bounce rate is still high. Much higher than what I would like.

There are a few magazine/grid themes on the link. One was Zinrex which looked interesting and the other was Turnout. Both are free, so I can try them out and modify them as necessary.

Appreciate the comments.

Rich

Pangloss

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 03:05 pm
@richrf,
Ok, then I guess I misunderstood the main purpose of your site. I don't know how much traffic you could generate by simply polling people about the 'best' well-known site for specific categories. This type of site also would have difficulty getting people to stick around, or to return, as the sites you are linking to would be the main thing that visitors are interested in, and they would be bookmarking those sites.

I just can't really think of any other sites that attract visitors with the polls alone, polls are usually something extra that people look at while browsing the main content of a website. This is just my initial reaction, but you can certainly develop it more, or add to it, and prove me wrong.

richrf

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 07:36 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;98172 wrote:
I just can't really think of any other sites that attract visitors with the polls alone, polls are usually something extra that people look at while browsing the main content of a website. This is just my initial reaction, but you can certainly develop it more, or add to it, and prove me wrong.

Hi,

Thanks for thoughts. So far the feedback has been mixed. It is true that no other site is simply a set of polls - which is why I decided to do it. I have to find something unique for links, that is generic, and has something to do with links. So far, all of my ideas have gone down in flames. This one may very well do the same, but it is a unique idea and doesn't hurt for me to try it out. Otherwise, back to the drawing board.

Thanks again.

Rich

Justin

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 08:48 am
@richrf,
richrf;98255 wrote:
Thanks for thoughts. So far the feedback has been mixed. It is true that no other site is simply a set of polls - which is why I decided to do it. I have to find something unique for links, that is generic, and has something to do with links. So far, all of my ideas have gone down in flames. This one may very well do the same, but it is a unique idea and doesn't hurt for me to try it out. Otherwise, back to the drawing board.

The site that is currently up there is not what people are looking for when they type in Links.com. They are probably looking for golf course directory or an affiliate link manager or something to that effect. Based on my experience in both web development and golf, they are looking for golf and you're presenting them with TV links? If that isn't shooting yourself in the foot, I'm not sure what is.

I am interested in working with you to turn this into a golf directory with maps and user reviews with course ratings and much more. I think it would be a fantastic domain to build upon. Again, this directory is something I've been looking at doing for quite some time and with a domain name like this one, traffic would generate quickly and the revenue potential is extremely good.

Either way, fantastic domain name... What are you waiting for?

Pangloss

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 11:46 am
@richrf,
Yea Rich, the domain name itself is great and very marketable. If anything, you could easily sell the domain to a developer! But I agree a golf course directory service would suit that domain very well, and would provide content that keeps a steady flow of traffic for ad revenues.

Just curious, how long have you owned this domain name? DnScoop claims it is worth $148,000,000! Ha! I don't think this could be accurate, simply for the domain itself...but the domain is definitely worth some cash. It is such a short, simple, and easily memorized name that it could be used as the homepage for a new search engine, or some other large scale corporate website. Actually, I think you could make this site much bigger than a golf directory, if you brought in a professional development team.

richrf

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 05:41 pm
@Justin,
Justin;98482 wrote:
What are you waiting for?

Nice speaking with you Justing. Actually, I was talking to a buddy of mine today and he came up with a pretty good idea. We are researching it now.

Thanks again for your reply and interest.

Rich

---------- Post added 10-19-2009 at 06:43 PM ----------

Pangloss;98521 wrote:
Yea Rich, the domain name itself is great and very marketable.

Yes, it is a fine domain name which is why I continue to try to develop it. The polling idea fell flat. Slightly better that what I had before but poop is poop no matter how much better it might be. So, I met with a buddy today who actually came up with a pretty interesting idea that I am researching right now.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Much appreciated.

Rich

Justin

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 06:38 am
@richrf,
Nice speaking with you Rich on the domain name. Interesting ideas are fine and dandy however, this domain should have been producing $5000 or more per month for the last 36 months and could easily be done... Just going to take more than ideas. Links.com is definitely a domain name for a golf directory. I estimate this domain to be worth about $250-300,000 to the right company. Again, I can see where this domain should clear $15,000 month revenue after it's been developed for 2 years.

richrf

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 08:24 am
@Justin,
Justin;98731 wrote:
Nice speaking with you Rich on the domain name. Interesting ideas are fine and dandy however, this domain should have been producing $5000 or more per month for the last 36 months and could easily be done... Just going to take more than ideas. Links.com is definitely a domain name for a golf directory. I estimate this domain to be worth about $250-300,000 to the right company. Again, I can see where this domain should clear $15,000 month revenue after it's been developed for 2 years.

Thanks Justin. Hopefully, I get there.

Rich

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Looking for some feedback on my site at Links.com?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:03:30