social creatures

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » social creatures

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:39 pm
One observation i found is that people( no matter how **** up they are) are interested in other people. Physics, and math professors would tell stories of famous mathematicians, and physicists. People are intrigue about the stories of "genius" label as weird. Look, everyone is "weird", but they choose to focus on nobel prize winners is because they want to sell more books. The science section of any bookstore is fill with biographies of scientists. Why? Because there is a demand for biographies, then the science itself. Generally, people like to read fictions, and nonfictions about normal everyday live people, because people are genuinely interested in other people. People are interested in the mental life of other people. Movies are always an exploration of humen social situations. Millions of books teach people how to take control of other people, and use them to get what we want. People are truely social creatures. Is it weird?


Personally, i am a bit surprised why people behave this way. I think a possible reason is that people are interested in other people so long that they provided ways for themselves to cope with daily life.
 
Khethil
 
Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:20 am
@vectorcube,
Yea, I think you're right to a point.

We're fascinated with each other, drawn to and infatuated. We wanna know what others think - taking comfort with those that agree and feeling rejection from those that don't. We're voyeuristic from curiosity of others... yes, you're quite right. It is interesting; the extent to which we're infatuated with other of our kind.

My take: It's in us... we're drawn to each other as a species. Not because it's helped us survive over time but because those that did give more attention to each other had a higher chance of passing on that personality trait to their offspring. The more this happened, the more interest we had in one another resulting in more "clustering" for cooperation, coexistence, mutual defense and fulfilling of needs.

... just my first-blush thoughts. Thanks
 
Octal
 
Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:22 pm
@vectorcube,
I've always felt obligated to share my thoughts during a conversation because I have a feeling of superiority, and that my thoughts must be heard by others: people must become aware of my greatness (yes, I sound extremely narcissistic and arrogant, but think about it: if we didn't put a high value upon our opinions why would we A) share them and B) believe them? And after all, don't we all overvalue our importance?). Our interest in others is merely a way to show our interest in ourselves, by letting others see us?

Another idea to be considered is that humans may not be naturally social creatures, but society has made us social creatures. Although a Darwinian would state that socialization and interest in others came about from the fact that those who worked together lived, and loners died or had little impact on society (a Nietzschean idea of the majority tyrannically overpowering the individual, possibly?)

Just some thoughts.
 
vectorcube
 
Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:34 pm
@Octal,
Octal;97327 wrote:
I've always felt obligated to share my thoughts during a conversation because I have a feeling of superiority, and that my thoughts must be heard by others: people must become aware of my greatness (yes, I sound extremely narcissistic and arrogant, but think about it: if we didn't put a high value upon our opinions why would we A) share them and B) believe them? And after all, don't we all overvalue our importance?). Our interest in others is merely a way to show our interest in ourselves, by letting others see us?

Another idea to be considered is that humans may not be naturally social creatures, but society has made us social creatures. Although a Darwinian would state that socialization and interest in others came about from the fact that those who worked together lived, and loners died or had little impact on society (a Nietzschean idea of the majority tyrannically overpowering the individual, possibly?)

Just some thoughts.


You are not alone in how you feel. There are plenty of self-important people. It is amazing. I was in another post, and i was telling this guy how his idea is stupid, then for no good reason, he changed the topic and started to tell me that he is like einstein, and i was being close minded. What a self-important fool.

In all honesty, i take comfort in the fact that alot of people are self-important. They tend to be very similar, and easy to classify. If i need to get things done, i can boost their pride, and they stick to me like flies. One observation i have about these people is that most people don` t like them. They don` t have any game. They don` t know how to manipulate people to get what they want. They have the ugliest girlfriend if at all. In a group, they desperately want to be normal for fear that others will see less of them. That is the thing. They care too much of what other people think. They care about the potentiality that others might see less of them. This is why they contantly need self approval.


Dude, if you are like this, then you need to change.

You think you are being arrogant, but it is just a freudian defense
 
Octal
 
Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:26 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;97338 wrote:
You are not alone in how you feel. There are plenty of self-important people. It is amazing. I was in another post, and i was telling this guy how his idea is stupid, then for no good reason, he changed the topic and started to tell me that he is like einstein, and i was being close minded. What a self-important fool.

In all honesty, i take comfort in the fact that alot of people are self-important. They tend to be very similar, and easy to classify. If i need to get things done, i can boost their pride, and they stick to me like flies. One observation i have about these people is that most people don` t like them. They don` t have any game. They don` t know how to manipulate people to get what they want. They have the ugliest girlfriend if at all. In a group, they desperately want to be normal for fear that others will see less of them. That is the thing. They care too much of what other people think. They care about the potentiality that others might see less of them. This is why they contantly need self approval.


Dude, if you are like this, then you need to change.

You think you are being arrogant, but it is just a freudian defense


You seemed to have missed my point. If it wasn't for your self importance, (and your "superiority" over my narcissism) you wouldn't have bothered giving this advice. Thus self importance is the origin of advice.
 
vectorcube
 
Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 01:38 am
@Octal,
Octal;97539 wrote:
You seemed to have missed my point. If it wasn't for your self importance, (and your "superiority" over my narcissism) you wouldn't have bothered giving this advice. Thus self importance is the origin of advice.


Are you asking for the reason why i make posts? I do it just to keep my brain active, and to figure people out. I don` t feel superior. I just feel a bit bore.
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:36 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;
'People' we are more than individual, we come from people, we are people, we belong with them first for our very survival, second because we need to find relation to ourselves as much as for others, we are oblivious to much of what we are.
Survival is knowing how who we are by example.
We cannot do it alone.
The bad element of the 'us' is only because we have first not been taught well and proper and have not learned to prperly educate ourselves, the human is a journeying evolution, evolution is just one and includes the all, we each own our very own evolution it is what keeps us alive and keeps us asking, moving even breathing, or misunderstanding in the case of the bad sad element. Of course there are freaks of nature evolution which should in a good world just lend to our overall understanding of ourselves and each other.
You speak as if you are only an individual therefore you do not understand something fundamental. Fundamentally something is missing. I do not mean to sound condemning, that is not the intention, the intention is to enlighten, even if just myself. The only good for the self is broadening horizons.
Something i dont know how to expose to you because i do not know you but through this, i would know you therefore understand myself only in conjunction with you, with you. So as to be part of the 'we'.
It is not mere interest here spoken of, it is fundamental exercise evolution of the soul as much as the frame, as apart by unifying similarities.
We are born into a world (of good and bad) a world of doubt here, therefore the 'we' by example of t his doubt and with your interest we seek to proove ourself as much as disprove others, not always just doubt, when we should firstly be trying to proove.
Scientists are not all trying to disprove God, the good ones are trying to prove God.
'and use them to get what we want' want is not need, why so cynical?
How is it weird? We come from another, we are part not just apart.
Are you lonely? See how it pains and afflicts you. Loneliness is implication towards one thing, unification. Reunification.
Where are ones parents, and fundamental need to find the first part of ourselves. Peopel cross continents to find what they think is themselves but is rather our-self.
I am surprised you are surprised, why are you here on this forum if not fundamentally trying first to find the lost part of yourself under the guise of self exploration, ALL ROADS LEAD TO HOME. And what is home first? but the seed and garden we grew forth from.
'Cope' if one is at loss, but this means they are without something.
Without knowing what is not there, they still have fundamental need to discover, uncover, to fulfill. Which is often the familiar, which is family, which is species, all evolving all asking to be full.
And as once they find rest, does not need to come, for once you have found light you need more, evolutionary speaking and asking, you know there is more light out there to find.
Education and learning for brighter illumination which comes from joining in, on, with, it is fundamental participation.
Breeding is conjoining.

Ashley Montague writes in 'The Humanisation of Man'
"The individual is a myth. There are no individuals. There are as many persons, however, who try to be individuals, who endeavour to live their lives separate and apart from their fellow human beings. frequently they live their individual lives without thought or concideration of the effcts of their individualism upon their fellow men. Such persons are psychically disfigured, disintergrated, and disoperation, and they are the producers of disintergration and disoperation among their fellow men, not only in the societies in which they immediately live, but also among their fellow men in far distant places, among human beings whom they have never seen and of whom they often have never heard.
The effect of 'rugged individualism', American or any other all variety, are likely to be widespread and particularly devastating to those peoples of the world who have been unprepared for its effects. The impact of smallpox and measles upon those who have no immunity is as nothing compared to the disastrous effects of the Western doctrine and practices of 'individualism' upon these peoples.'
Which means all peoples, upon the self infact, self disfugurement, the first society was the first family.
No i would not go as so far as to agree whole heartedly with Ashley Montague but what is put down cannot be disputted in the fact that it takes all of us for all us to survive. More so thrive, if we were to do away with such as 'rugged individualism'. It has become an ism which is one step away from disease as well as one step away from cure.
You also must see that it is because we are all 'lapse' (whether we recognise it or not) is when this 'individual' takes state. 'Place' being scholastic and possible symptom view.

Khethil;
Not to diagree with Dostoevsky, but it only becomes immeasurably more complex by the examination, rather than by said participation.

Octal; Obligation is good for it means you care, you do not understand, you question the motives or actions, enough to impose your rightful voice that should be heard. Impose away, but it is not really imposition.
It is insight.
Every one needs to be heard (teach) and everyone needs to listen (taught). We are only born with the answer that we do not know everything. It is arogance and the first fall sin that makes us think we can attain the knowledge for free, of everything. We are not God. But we can work to be as God, we can evolve to be as God.

Society came first in order for there to be those who rebuke it. You come from someone else, you owe your existance to something else, lest we chose to be born, you would not exist if it weren't for social interaction.
No one is born of rape, there was a choice made for each of us, it is the sad state of affairs that people dont live up to their choice.

vectorcube;
You are bored because there is something not being fulfilled.
I hope you find it, but dare I say you wont find it one on your own.



---------- Post added 10-18-2009 at 04:03 AM ----------

We are all social creatures, we need other people, solitary confinement, makes people go crazy, go wrong, even if for all the right reasons, crazy, no exceptions.
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » social creatures
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 07/16/2019 at 05:41:22