A wish . . .

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

No0ne
 
Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 04:24 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;84756 wrote:
Tagging your thoughts and comments with IMO's robs them of any conviction. One might as well say "Chocolate cake is good for you. If that's okay for me to say that. I mean, I don't want to make waves . . . . "


TickTockMan is a jackass.

Fact? Or opinion?



:rolleyes:The only fact, and convictionless comment I see is TickTockMan posted the words "TickTockMan is a jackass."

(I hope it is :a-ok:)
 
Leonard
 
Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:35 pm
@TickTockMan,
Just like when people say "no offense, but" and then say something extremely rude. Or when they say "no pun intended," Of course it was intended when you just pointed it out. These things annoy me.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 12:03 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;84782 wrote:
I wasn't suggesting that opinions were truth.


Well, they might be. If a physician says, "in my opinion, Mary has measles" he might be right, no? That something is an opinion does not stop it from being a true opinion. If you say that something is "only my opinion" you are not denying it is true, but you are saying that you cannot prove it is true, so you don't expect others necessarily to share it.
 
Pathfinder
 
Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:59 am
@TickTockMan,
Tick Tock,

You are deliberately setting yourself up man, You know that theres guys like me out here that will jump all over this bandwagon and start anacronizing everything.

IAPW but that is MHO. lol

---------- Post added 08-22-2009 at 04:01 AM ----------

o btw, send a pm if you are rotflyao.
 
No0ne
 
Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:06 pm
@TickTockMan,
:rolleyes:How dose one express the tone of there voice on the internet?
 
TurboLung
 
Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:32 am
@TickTockMan,
the human race is generally a mixed bag of good and bad people. unfortunately, the bad people usually get their way and damage our planet and other people. on top of this, you have the majority of stupid people, who, along with the bad people damage the planet and life on it and are led by the bad very easily. then you have the good people; the very few who wish things could be different and desperately try to change things, but, they know in their hearts that it won't make a damn difference, because at the end of the day, any changes will be too late and there will always be bad people who generally hold positions of power. any good people who hold power don't last long, because the bad people will get rid of them. the bad people have a huge advantage; they don't play by the rules and so the good people in power don't have a chance. amongst the good people are the indifferent, who are probably aligned more to the good people more than the stupid people but realise that it won't matter because even if the planet was full of good people, eventually the earth will be wiped out by a stray asteroid or the sun expanding into it.

cheers,

tl
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:19 am
@TurboLung,
TurboLung;85129 wrote:
the human race is generally a mixed bag of good and bad people. unfortunately, the bad people usually get their way and damage our planet and other people. on top of this, you have the majority of stupid people, who, along with the bad people damage the planet and life on it and are led by the bad very easily. then you have the good people; the very few who wish things could be different and desperately try to change things, but, they know in their hearts that it won't make a damn difference, because at the end of the day, any changes will be too late and there will always be bad people who generally hold positions of power. any good people who hold power don't last long, because the bad people will get rid of them. the bad people have a huge advantage; they don't play by the rules and so the good people in power don't have a chance. amongst the good people are the indifferent, who are probably aligned more to the good people more than the stupid people but realise that it won't matter because even if the planet was full of good people, eventually the earth will be wiped out by a stray asteroid or the sun expanding into it.

cheers,

tl


Now this is what I'm talking about. No need for an "IMO" or its sissy cousin "IMHO."
 
Caroline
 
Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:26 am
@TurboLung,
TurboLung;85129 wrote:
the human race is generally a mixed bag of good and bad people. unfortunately, the bad people usually get their way and damage our planet and other people. on top of this, you have the majority of stupid people, who, along with the bad people damage the planet and life on it and are led by the bad very easily. then you have the good people; the very few who wish things could be different and desperately try to change things, but, they know in their hearts that it won't make a damn difference, because at the end of the day, any changes will be too late and there will always be bad people who generally hold positions of power. any good people who hold power don't last long, because the bad people will get rid of them. the bad people have a huge advantage; they don't play by the rules and so the good people in power don't have a chance. amongst the good people are the indifferent, who are probably aligned more to the good people more than the stupid people but realise that it won't matter because even if the planet was full of good people, eventually the earth will be wiped out by a stray asteroid or the sun expanding into it.

cheers,

tl

But you have to keep trying, you can't give up.
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:55 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;85374 wrote:
But you have to keep trying, you can't give up.


Sure you can.

But again, I applaud your decision not to note that what you just posted is your opinion. I was able to deduce that.





_________________
"It is only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything."
-Tyler Durden
_________________
 
Pathfinder
 
Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 05:57 am
@TickTockMan,
tick tock, tick tock ,tick, drip, drip, drip......IMO anyway!
 
Khethil
 
Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:55 am
@Lily,
Wild Applause to the below-quoted posts and posters:

richrf;84744 wrote:
... In normal conversation, what I say is usually taken as opinion, but on forums, especially one where we are discussing philosophy, often times members are stating what they believe to be facts. It is sometimes difficult to differentiate without some succinct statement...


Caroline;84752 wrote:
... If you don't say something like "I believe" or IMO then you are open to attack, people can ask you to prove it...


kennethamy;84777 wrote:
The term, "in my opinion" functions to inform the reader that the writer does not expect the reader will necessarily share that opinion. ...a signal that the writer does not think that others will share his opinion, and is acknowledging that. And that is not superfluous.


kennethamy;84869 wrote:
... If you say that something is "only my opinion" you are not denying it is true, but you are saying that you cannot prove it is true, so you don't expect others necessarily to share it.


I understand the annoyance others are talking about; but take care, it sounds as if your irritation is coming from your attributing motives and posturing to someone - likely inaccurately and/or unfairly.

Besides, with words as clumsy as they are, I think we need every bit of "lubricant" available to help smooth out the communicative process. The instant something is stated as fact it's open to refuting. If I just want to state my opinion, I'll do so as opinion. And yea, I think we all should.

Unsolicited Advice: Find something "important" to get annoyed about Smile

Thanks
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:09 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;85508 wrote:
tick tock, tick tock ,tick, drip, drip, drip......IMO anyway!


I'm unsure what opinion you are opining here. Perhaps that TickTockMan is as annoying as an incessantly dripping faucet?

---------- Post added 08-25-2009 at 10:20 AM ----------

Khethil;85527 wrote:

Unsolicited Advice: Find something "important" to get annoyed about Smile
Thanks


Like people who use their fingers to make air quotes in conversation. That really annoys me.
 
chad3006
 
Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:01 am
@TurboLung,
TurboLung;85129 wrote:
the human race is generally a mixed bag of good and bad people. unfortunately, the bad people usually get their way and damage our planet and other people. on top of this, you have the majority of stupid people, who, along with the bad people damage the planet and life on it and are led by the bad very easily. then you have the good people; the very few who wish things could be different and desperately try to change things, but, they know in their hearts that it won't make a damn difference, because at the end of the day, any changes will be too late and there will always be bad people who generally hold positions of power. any good people who hold power don't last long, because the bad people will get rid of them. the bad people have a huge advantage; they don't play by the rules and so the good people in power don't have a chance. amongst the good people are the indifferent, who are probably aligned more to the good people more than the stupid people but realise that it won't matter because even if the planet was full of good people, eventually the earth will be wiped out by a stray asteroid or the sun expanding into it.

cheers,

tl


I love it! It's the history of mankind in one paragraph.
 
William
 
Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 12:28 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;84586 wrote:
I'd like to establish a moratorium on the phrase "In my opinion," or its acronym "IMO," when posting on the forum.


What is it that offends you so? It is only being polite, IMO. What is offensive about that IYO. Ha! In the OP you are indeed stating your opinion and that is your opinion, though your manner was a bit dictatorial in my opinion, don't you think?

TickTockMan;84586 wrote:
If you take the time to write something that's not directly attributable to someone else and post it on a forum, I'm already operating under the assumption that it's your opinion.


ttm, everything on this forum is attributable to what others are offering and it only polite to insure those whom you are addressing that what you are adding is "your opinion" other wise it can appear "offensive" and terse. Call it a finesse, if you wish.

TickTockMan;84586 wrote:
That's why you wrote it and posted it. If it's not your opinion, I would expect that you would note said statement accordingly.


That would be fine and it is done, but that is also stating "someone else's" opinion, don't you think? Everything is our opinion for very little is fact or 100% correct. If it were so, this forum would exist, IMO.

TickTockMan;84586 wrote:
The only phrase that raises my hackles more than "IMO" is the doubly odious "IMHO," or "in my humble opinion" Humble?


ttm, I as well as others who have so stated, thought the "h" was for honest. Perhaps that is why you are as "hackled" as you are? Though humble can connote one's not being sure if what they are offering is honest, but what they have assumed to be honest and the word means "they could be wrong". Again, that is only polite, IMO.



TickTockMan;84586 wrote:
Spare me. If you have to tell people you're being humble . . . you're not humble. Do yourself a favor and don't castrate the power of your convictions by tagging them with some form of spurious/not genuine/false humility/humble/honest.


Isn't that an oxymoron, really--spurious humility--?

TickTockMan;84586 wrote:
Say what you mean and get on with it. So a few feathers get ruffled . . . big deal.


I am sure Justin has other opinions to keep the "ruffled feathers" at a minimum as what you espouse would only encourage such, IMO.

TickTockMan;84586 wrote:
Thank you for listening.


In all due respect, please forgive me for offering you my opinion in that you did not ask for it; though I did hear every word you said. For what it's worth...........thanks.

William
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:03 pm
@William,
William;85628 wrote:
your manner was a bit dictatorial in my opinion, don't you think?


Indeed it was.

William;85628 wrote:
everything on this forum is attributable to what others are offering and it only polite to insure those whom you are addressing that what you are adding is "your opinion" other wise it can appear "offensive" and terse.


This just strikes me as some weird symptom of misplaced political correctness, a strange phobia that somehow we might offend someone by saying what we really think. It's like pre-apologizing.



William;85628 wrote:
Though humble can connote one's not being sure if what they are offering is honest, but what they have assumed to be honest and the word means "they could be wrong".


How can a person not know if their opinion is honest? As far as humility, this is not a title that is self-conferred. That would be hubristic, I think.

I have experienced dishonest opinions though. These are the opinions I give when my boss asks for my opinion of whatever boneheaded new project he is undertaking. I need to keep my job, so I lie.


William;85628 wrote:
Isn't that an oxymoron, really--spurious humility--?


No. Not really. It means exactly what I wanted it to mean. An oxymoron would be something like "government intelligence."



William;85628 wrote:
I am sure Justin has other opinions to keep the "ruffled feathers" at a minimum as what you espouse would only encourage such, IMO.


Guilty. I like kicking over anthills.



William;85628 wrote:
In all due respect, please forgive me for offering you my opinion in that you did not ask for it; though I did hear every word you said. For what it's worth...........thanks.


I am due no respect, but you're welcome.

Fondly,
Tock
 
 

 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 03/05/2024 at 02:32:32